DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Political Film

Political Film Discuss Documentary + Political Films

Old 08-11-18, 05:20 PM   #1
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Fahrenheit 11/9 (D: Michael Moore)

So, here's the trailer for Michael Moore's newest entry--and for people to stop complaining in regards to closing this forum:

Old 08-16-18, 01:17 PM   #2
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Fahrenheit 11/9 (D: Michael Moore)

Is it going to be offered on Netflix?
Old 08-18-18, 04:12 PM   #3
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Is it going to be offered on Netflix?
It's going to be in theaters.
Old 08-27-18, 12:08 AM   #4
DVD Talk Legend

This should be good. The problem is that Strumpf is simply lampoon-proof. He's a walking joke as it is, and millions of U.S. Americans( a little throwback) refuse, or are too stupid, to see that. The best tack for Moore would have been to jettison the comedy and go all-out vicious and uncompromising. There's certainly enough material (crimes, blatant lies and contradictions) to make a devastatingly effective work.
"Another day, another dolour." -Me
Old 08-28-18, 03:39 PM   #5
DVD Talk Godfather

He looks like an old grumpy lady in that trailer clip. No way I'm paying premium cash to see a grump old man. However, I hope it comes on Netflix.
Old 09-09-18, 12:03 PM   #6
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is probably the most even handed review of the film that I've seen:

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/9/7...-liberals-tiff

Also: has there been *ANY* advertising for this film at all outside a trailer on YouTube and interviews with talk show hosts? I haven't seen any ads on TV or the trailers before the movie.
Old 09-09-18, 02:32 PM   #7
DVD Talk Godfather

One thing I do wish Michael Moore would do. Run for President. He would then be under the microscope that everyone else has been over the last several decades when vying for that position (and those who win that position). Probably would be a great eye-opener for him.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 09-09-18 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-09-18, 04:07 PM   #8
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
One thing I do wish Michael Moore would do. Run for President. He would then be under the microscope that everyone else has been over the last several decades when vying for that position (and those who win that position). Probably would be a great eye-opener for him.
Yes, because Trump's blatant criminal behavior is all because of the hardships of the office...
Old 09-09-18, 04:29 PM   #9
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm talking about the last several decades.

Not the last two years?
Old 09-09-18, 05:14 PM   #10
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
I'm talking about the last several decades.

Not the last two years?
The last two year are *part* of the last several decades, are they not?
Old 09-09-18, 07:14 PM   #11
DVD Talk Godfather

So, you'd rather use the last 2 years of our political history versus several decades.

Ok.

Like I said, I was referring to several decades. Not 2 years.
Old 09-16-18, 01:20 PM   #12
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatD View Post
This is probably the most even handed review of the film that I've seen:

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/9/7...-liberals-tiff

Also: has there been *ANY* advertising for this film at all outside a trailer on YouTube and interviews with talk show hosts? I haven't seen any ads on TV or the trailers before the movie.
Thanks for linking that review. It actually makes me want to see the movie.
Old 09-17-18, 11:02 AM   #13

I'll see this on Friday.
Old 09-18-18, 08:35 PM   #14
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's bizarre that there's been no advertising for this film outside of Michael Moore on the talk show circuit. What gives?
Old 09-18-18, 10:33 PM   #15
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can't imagine making a film about the Trump administration while it's going on. Even newspapers are even outdated a few hours after they hit the rack. Have plans to go with a friend next Thursday.
Old 09-19-18, 09:59 AM   #16
DVD Talk Hero

I forgot about this one - I was about to get my tickets for Assassination Nation but then this crept in there. It's being released on the independent tip in only 1,500 theaters. It's over 2 hours, as well. I used one of my Sinemia passes for it. Seeing it tomorrow.
Old 09-22-18, 05:11 PM   #17
DVD Talk Godfather

This film is doing surprisingly poor in theaters, with record low profits. Kinda odd, since I would have thought there would be a lot of Michael Moore advocates wanting to see this film, even with the limited showings.

Demonstrates my opinion that Moore has gone of the rails with his documentaries, diverting from his own solid documentary making, and instead, attempting to pander to a specific political base instead of just making a good documentary. I remember Sicko, and that made a lot more than this one. Fahrenheit 9/11 wasn't too bad, and even made more.
Old 09-22-18, 06:12 PM   #18
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
This film is doing surprisingly poor in theaters, with record low profits. Kinda odd, since I would have thought there would be a lot of Michael Moore advocates wanting to see this film, even with the limited showings.

Demonstrates my opinion that Moore has gone of the rails with his documentaries, diverting from his own solid documentary making, and instead, attempting to pander to a specific political base instead of just making a good documentary. I remember Sicko, and that made a lot more than this one. Fahrenheit 9/11 wasn't too bad, and even made more.
First, there was almost *no* advertising for this film. The reasons? Who knows? I speculate all these conservative media outlets don't want to get a Michael Moore movie any press.

Second, people think this is a purely Donald Trump movie (it's not)--and people are *sick* of this nightmare to pay money to watch it.

Third, the title was a bonehead move. With the lack of advertising, many at multiplexes might be confused by the title and think it's a Fathom event re-screening of the 2004 MM film.

So, keep fishing.
Old 09-22-18, 07:46 PM   #19
DVD Talk Legend

My opinion is that the bubble of politics as pop culture is dwindling. People are sick of it. Politics was as hot as American Idol for a couple term. And now it’s over. In two months Trump will be powerless.

Of course that’s just my prediction.
Old 09-23-18, 02:59 AM   #20
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just got back from watching it. My take:

The film doesn't feel as polished as his previous entries as he wanted to get it out before the mid-terms. The humor is sparse--and he may have done the latter on purpose. (There's nothing funny about children being poisoned with lead). But Michael Moore takes no prisoners and points fingers everywhere--including himself. And as much as he slams the GOP, he *really* takes the Democrats (including Bill Clinton and Barack Obama) to the woodshed. If there weren't little glimpses of hope throughout this film it would be soul-crushingly bleak to watch. This is where is where our rotund Cassandra was indicating the country was going nearly 30 years ago when he put out Roger and Me and now it has pretty much come to pass. This new film doesn't have the irreverent "fight the power" vibe that Fahrenheit 9/11 had in 2004. This is more like "you'd better get your act together NOW, America or you're going to be another third world dictatorship before you know what's going on." In short, this is not a fun movie, but it's an important one.

Last edited by PatD; 09-23-18 at 03:17 AM.
Old 09-23-18, 12:13 PM   #21
DVD Talk Legend

Post Re: Fahrenheit 11/9 (D: Michael Moore)

Quote:

Michael Moore’s Fahrenheit 11/9

Is Bombing:
The early box office returns aren’t looking good for filmmaker Michael Moore’s latest film Fahrenheit 11/9.

Fahrenheit 11/9 limped to an eighth-place finish in North America with $3.1 million:
Pre-release tracking had suggested at least $5 million-$6 million

Bomb At Friday Box Office:
it’s no surprise that Michael Moore’s Fahrenheit 11/9 tanked in its whopping 1,719 theater wide release debut.
Old 09-23-18, 12:22 PM   #22
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gotta love the usual suspects pointing out the failure of MM. I wonder if they posted about conservative film makers bombs too?
DVDTalk Member #1758 since: 06-09-99
I Hate Blockbuster chrisedge.com My first post I can find here
Old 09-23-18, 12:28 PM   #23
DVD Talk Legend

I also don’t agree with Moore’s “we need to play dirty too” message. I believe it’s fundamentally wrong.
Old 09-23-18, 12:31 PM   #24
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:

The film doesn't feel as polished as his previous entries as he wanted to get it out before the mid-terms. The humor is sparse--and he may have done the latter on purpose. (There's nothing funny about children being poisoned with lead). But Michael Moore takes no prisoners and points fingers everywhere--including himself. And as much as he slams the GOP, he *really* takes the Democrats (including Bill Clinton and Barack Obama) to the woodshed. If there weren't little glimpses of hope throughout this film it would be soul-crushingly bleak to watch. This is where is where our rotund Cassandra was indicating the country was going nearly 30 years ago when he put out Roger and Me and now it has pretty much come to pass. This new film doesn't have the irreverent "fight the power" vibe that Fahrenheit 9/11 had in 2004. This is more like "you'd better get your act together NOW, America or you're going to be another third world dictatorship before you know what's going on." In short, this is not a fun movie, but it's an important one.

Agreed. It also did a better job of editing in that the focus on trump was bookended as opposed to being a constant. You had the first part focusing on trump, second part was the poisoned water in Flint, third part was the school shootings, then back to trump.

And yes, he did take Clinton (both of them) and Obama to the woodshed.
Old 09-23-18, 12:31 PM   #25

Quote:

I agree with this.

This one didn’t do too much for me in comparison to his previous work.