Political Film Discuss Documentary + Political Films

Weiner (2016) docu about Anthony Weiner

Old 05-25-16, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Weiner (2016) docu about Anthony Weiner

I went to see WEINER at a theater in New York. It's very good. Weiner gave the filmmakers (one of whom had worked for him) complete access during his misguided campaign for Mayor of New York and it really backfired on him. It is a remarkably detailed portrait of a full-blown narcissist. I'd love to see a psychiatrist's review of this film. When things go bad for him after the second scandal erupts right in the middle of the campaign, he just gets more and more defensive and has shouting matches with anyone who questions his behavior. He's obsessed with TV coverage of his scandal and watches everything negative about him. At one point, he gets into a shouting match on live TV with interviewer Lawrence O'Donnell (with Weiner doing all the shouting) and then shows the footage to his wife and asks how he did. "It's bad," she tells him. Well, d'uuhhh! It's just astounding to me that he's so self-absorbed that he could even think he might come off well in that mode. He even insisted to O'Donnell on air that he was winning the argument when all he was doing was outshouting him.

It's a compelling but very disturbing film for what it says about the way our society increasingly promotes more and more narcissists into public life. Weiner's crime was that his "crime" was so petty, tawdry and childish. Clinton got caught committing full-blown adultery and he's still considered a hero by so many of you. Weiner committed a schoolboy prank in comparison but it made him look worse because he comes off as so much weaker.

I was curious about his communications director, Barbara Morgan, a cute blonde who handles his press relations. I was drawn to her every time she was onscreen. She seemed competent, efficient, professional, so what the hell was she doing working for this trainwreck?

I felt bad for Huma. I probably shouldn't, given her propensity for flawed politicians. Anyone who hitches her wagon to either of those two (Hillary and Weiner) deserves what she gets. Yet she comes off as a calm, decent, patient, reasonable person. What's she doing with these people?!
Old 05-25-16, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Weiner (2016) docu about Anthony Weiner

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
I was curious about his communications director, Barbara Morgan, a cute blonde who handles his press relations. I was drawn to her every time she was onscreen. She seemed competent, efficient, professional, so what the hell was she doing working for this trainwreck?

Anyway, she seems to be doing fine for herself. [LinkedIn]
SKDKnickerbocker, the powerful Manhattan communications and public-affairs firm, was retained by Puerto Rico to handle public relations and marketing at a cost of up to $3.4 million, including $500,000 for advertising.

Influential lobbyist Jennifer Cunningham is the point person in six of the seven Knickerbocker contracts with Puerto Rico, records show. Cunningham, pal to Gov. Cuomo and former wife of Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, is a former honcho with SEIU Local 1199, the giant health-care-workers union based in Manhattan.

Some of Puerto Rico’s contracts with Knickerbocker, like with other firms, were amended and the payment caps increased. The contract totals were confirmed by Puerto Rico’s Office of the Comptroller.

Yet Knickerbocker VP Barbara Morgan, speaking also for MillCo, Cleary Gottlieb and the Puerto Rican government, insisted to The Post that the contract figures listed on the comptroller’s Web site were inaccurate.

“The documents referenced do not reflect the payments made to these firms; they only represent the potential costs of the contracts,” said Morgan, former spokeswoman for Rep. Anthony Weiner’s mayoral race.
http://nypost.com/2016/01/31/city-la...os-bankruptcy/
Old 05-25-16, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Interestingly, there's nothing about that intern or anything from that Daily News story in the film, even though it all happened while they were filming. Curious.

And thanks for that link to Morgan's current position. Given the mismanagement of the island's finances, hitching her wagon to Puerto Rico may be lucrative in the short term, but could be just as disastrous as Anthony Weiner in the long term. I still think she should work for some entity that's scandal-free. But there is a pretty good picture of her in that article.
Old 05-26-16, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
I felt bad for Huma. I probably shouldn't, given her propensity for flawed politicians. Anyone who hitches her wagon to either of those two (Hillary and Weiner) deserves what she gets. Yet she comes off as a calm, decent, patient, reasonable person. What's she doing with these people?!
I think everyone was once a nice and decent person (even Hillary)...then power and money got in the way and just totally changes the person. It consumes them. I'm not going to say I wouldn't be intoxicated by power and money for a period of time. It's an odd thing that happens, and one must try to be prepared for such a situation and try their best to avoid the obvious temptations and pitfalls.
Old 05-29-16, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
I think everyone was once a nice and decent person (even Hillary)....
If you'd read Edward Klein's book, "The Truth About Hillary," you wouldn't have added "(even Hillary)." He got lots of anecdotes from former playmates of hers and apparently she was NEVER a nice or decent person.
Old 05-30-16, 12:23 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

is this streaming on any service? i heard a report that this was in theaters and on demand and thought that meant early streaming access, but i can't find it. guess not
Old 08-10-16, 09:34 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

This is out streaming now. Looking forward to watching at some point...