Political Film Discuss Documentary + Political Films

An American Carol (2008)

Old 01-07-16, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

An American Carol (2008)

I had the misfortune of watching this strange concoction of super juvenile Scary Movie-type humor mixed in with Bush-era jingoism. For those blessed enough to have not seen it, it's about Michael Moore, I mean, Malone (played by Chris Farley's brother) a left-wing documentary maker who has set out to abolish the 4th of July until he's shown the error of his ways by conservative ghosts. One of the most surreptitious arguments posed is that if you're not for the Iraq War, then you're pro-Slavery since it took a war to end slavery--in America. To me, it seems like the last gasp of George W. Bush's America, before the financial collapse that happened the same year this movie came out. It's a curiosity from another time when viewed today that's for sure.

(I'm posting this in the Political Movie forum, because this film, while not a documentary, has an intense political leaning and definitely an agenda as any doc would.)

Last edited by PatD; 01-07-16 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-07-16, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: An American Carol (2008)

I have watched it several times and laughed at it quite a bit, pretty much every hollywood conservative is in it. Plus it was one of the final movies from Dennis Hopper. Michael Malone was a funny character.
Old 01-07-16, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PatD View Post
has an intense political leaning and definitely an agenda as any doc would.)
But any time a movie does this with a leftist agenda, or a Michael Moore film is praised its okay? Please explain?
Old 01-07-16, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
But any time a movie does this with a leftist agenda, or a Michael Moore film is praised its okay? Please explain?
No. I'm just saying in advance, that that's the reason I posted it in this forum rather than the normal movie forum.
Old 01-07-16, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A friend of mine thought it was so stupid that it must be a parody. I had to explain to her, no, they very seriously believed all that.
Old 01-10-16, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Eh, I don't know. I felt like it was a South Park style parody, where they deconstruct everything they can from one perspective. But I don't think everyone creatively involved believed all of that the parody had to say.

Was there some kind of press surrounding it to make me believe otherwise?
Old 01-10-16, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They're all politically conservative.

David Zucker is an American filmmaker with conservative political leanings and friends with Dennis Prager.
Kelsey Grammar is a vocal supporter of the Republican Party.
"Jon" Voight is the rare Hollywood conservative
Trace Atkins: “I don’t like the direction that Democrats want to take this country,” he said. “I’ve been a Republican since I registered to vote in 1980.”
I don't think I have to link to anything about Bill O'Reilly.