Political Film Discuss Documentary + Political Films

Where to Invade Next -- D: Moore 9/2015

Old 08-08-15, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Where to Invade Next -- D: Moore 9/2015

Looky! An actual topic!

Michael Moore Is About to Surprise America with Major New Documentary on the American Empire

http://www.alternet.org/culture/mich...n-empire?sc=fb

It's going to be released at the Toronto Film Festival in September, and apparently there was zero press on the production.

Like many documentarians, Moore is too willing to exaggerate a point to make his own point, but he does get people talking. I wonder if this will get any sort of wide release?
Old 08-09-15, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Where to Invade Next -- D: Moore 9/2015

People can badmouth Moore all they want (and he has some of it coming). But he's usually been proven to be right on the various topics he picks. I look forward to his newest cinematic op-ed piece (which I think is an accurate way to describe his films). His "quadrilogy" in the 2000s was excellent.
Old 08-09-15, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In before the "MICHAEL MOORE IS A BIG FAT FATTY-FAT FAT GUY!!", usually spouted off by the Red Stater with a blood type of Sunday Gravy.
Old 08-10-15, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
In before the "MICHAEL MOORE IS A BIG FAT FATTY-FAT FAT GUY!!", usually spouted off by the Red Stater with a blood type of Sunday Gravy.
Old 08-17-15, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
I get the same argument when people have a problem with me.
Old 08-22-15, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Moore has been deafeningly silent lately. I almost forgot about the guy. In the era of everyone making a doc he hasn't made one in a while.
Old 08-31-15, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Moore has been deafeningly silent lately. I almost forgot about the guy. In the era of everyone making a doc he hasn't made one in a while.
It's politics. He only does hatchet jobs if it'll hurt Republicans. He hearts Obama, hence his silence. He'll try to become relevant again once there's a target to go after rather than try to point out the failings of a sitting Democrat president.
Old 08-31-15, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
It's politics. He only does hatchet jobs if it'll hurt Republicans. He hearts Obama, hence his silence. He'll try to become relevant again once there's a target to go after rather than try to point out the failings of a sitting Democrat president.
Actually, Michael Moore has criticized Obama (on more than one occasion).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nMuuaO-YLKE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FD8RYl1IsXc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by PatD; 09-01-15 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-11-15, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's the official teaser trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2RYV04G0tHc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also, what's the deal with not be able to embed videos in the Political Film section here?
Old 12-15-15, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The new full trailer is up. The film is set to be released to the general public this February.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/r4JJvfrkH3M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-17-15, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 12-17-15, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^^
How did you do that? I've tried embedding videos in this particular sub-forum for a long time and it wouldn't let me. All the other sub-forums would but not "political film" for some reason.
Old 12-18-15, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Videos are embedded using the Youtube tags with the url id code of the video in between them.

The url of the video is : www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4JJvfrkH3M
The ID for it are the numbers and letters after the equal sign : r4JJvfrkH3M
If you put those numbers and letters between the youtube tags (without the asterisks) : [*yt]r4JJvfrkH3M[/yt*]
it will embed the video.
Old 12-19-15, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks, inri222!

Old 02-14-16, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just got back from seeing this. (I saw it at the nonprofit theater I volunteer at--how much in the spirit of Michael Moore is that?) Anyway, I thought it was a solid outing. The only thing I think it's missing is Moore's acerbic edge that his previous films had in spades(this is due to it being MM's "happy movie"). It's also the most didactic of his entries; very dialogue heavy (and very few cuts to his trademark stock footage). Nonetheless, it makes an impassioned case as to what the U.S. could be doing better. If what's being presented is accurate, America seems like Hell on Earth as it's tacitly compared--and he kind of has a point. (Unless you find crushing student loans, inhumane prisons, voter suppression, bankers running afoul of the law with impunity, women not being fairly represented in government and business, and draconian drug laws defensible.)

Also, it was also smart on Moore's part to play up the cost effectiveness angle in the hopes of persuading any naysayers or people on the fence. Is kindness less expensive and less wasteful in the long run?

All in all, it's well worth watching. Anyone else seen it?

Last edited by PatD; 02-15-16 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-15-16, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Haven't, but I will when it hits Netflix. I'm a minimum of 2 hours from a place that would show it.
Old 02-17-16, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Its showing here at a multiplex, surprisingly. I'd go to see it if I actually went to the movies any more.
Old 02-21-16, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Now that I've watched the trailer I don't really understand what the title means. Judging by the title I thought it was going to be something about our military industrial complex. Can anyone who's seen it explain?
Old 02-23-16, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Now that I've watched the trailer I don't really understand what the title means. Judging by the title I thought it was going to be something about our military industrial complex. Can anyone who's seen it explain?
Every Michael Moore movie has a stunt (like taking 9/11 workers to Cuba in "Sicko" or wrapping banks in New York with police tape and demanding the people's money back via megaphone in "Capitalism: A Love Story") In "WtIN", Michael runs around with an American flag and "annexing" a portion of Europe or Tunisia and "taking" their ideas for America. He's America's new "invading force".

I highly recommend this movie, even if you generally don't agree with MM. It offers food for thought.
Old 03-17-16, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
How does Sicko or Bowling for Columbine "hurt" Republicans? Both parties are complicit. And he released two films during Obama's Presidency.
Old 04-04-16, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

According to Amazon, "Where to Invade Next" will be released May 10th. According to DVDActive it's coming out April 29th. So, I'm guessing it will be released and available for streaming around that time too.

I'd really like to hear what people think of this doc. It's pretty mind blowing. Or at least food for thought (pick your brain metaphor).
Old 05-19-16, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I just watched this yesterday and thought it was great.

I wish I could eat cafeteria food at some of the schools profiled in the film. They literally dine on 4-5 star cuisine while the kids of America eat roadkill.