Political Film Discuss Documentary + Political Films

The Man Who Saved The World

Old 09-06-14, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Man Who Saved The World

Just caught this on PBS---holy cow, it's not really hyperbole. Cuban missile crisis, a Soviet sub that's lost contact with Moscow, trapped by the US fleet, being forced to surface. Two out of the three Soviet key-holders opted for a nuclear torpedo launch, that almost certainly would have started WWIII. One Soviet commander dissented. Full episode available here:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2295274962/
Old 09-14-14, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: The Man Who Saved The World

There have been a few close calls.

People suffer from an extreme lack of imagination. They think that nuclear war won't happen because appropriate safeguards are in place and/or no one is crazy enough to launch. But human error and malice will never disappear, so nuclear war will happen sooner or later, unless actions are taken to decrease the risk.

From my perspective, political leaders who object to mutual nuclear disarmament are guilty of the most supreme neglect imaginable. By disarmament, I mean MASSIVE reduction of nuclear weapons, not total elimination. I'm unable to express my level of contempt for these political leaders.

Last edited by Ghostbuster; 09-21-14 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-31-14, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

On a whim I watched this. It was good and well done. Can't say I knew that story. Knew we got close to having a war, but wow, that close. Also impressed with our Pres for not trying to board or capture the subs. Know it would not turn out well.

Though a bit confused about a nuclear torpedo. What would you do with it? Point it towards Florida and let it rip?
Old 10-31-14, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
On a whim I watched this. It was good and well done. Can't say I knew that story. Knew we got close to having a war, but wow, that close. Also impressed with our Pres for not trying to board or capture the subs. Know it would not turn out well.

Though a bit confused about a nuclear torpedo. What would you do with it? Point it towards Florida and let it rip?
I think it would just completely take out one or more major ships in the US fleet? Like a tactical "battlefield" nuclear weapon? That was my impression, anyways.
Old 11-01-14, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In The Fog of War, McNamara said that he personally spoke to Castro several years ago during a conference in Cuba, and Castro had told Kruschev to launch the nukes stationed in Cuba if the US invaded Cuba during the Cuban Missile Crisis (like some people in the US military wanted to do). And Castro accepted the fact that Cuba would have been utterly annihilated.

It sounds like Kruschev would have had to make the final decision about whether to launch.

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
I think it would just completely take out one or more major ships in the US fleet? Like a tactical "battlefield" nuclear weapon? That was my impression, anyways.
I don't know about that submarine, but today submarines can launch a missile from the water into the air.

Last edited by Ghostbuster; 11-01-14 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-09-15, 10:15 PM
Banned

I think the title should say "woman".