Political Film Discuss Documentary + Political Films

Mitt (2014) A Netflx Original Documentary

Old 01-28-14, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mitt (2014) A Netflx Original Documentary

I can guess at many of the opinions here about this but Netflix now has this new documentary up. I'm going to try and watch it tonight.

"Following his bid to win the U.S. presidency, most Americans believed they knew Mitt Romney. With unprecedented access, this documentary tracks Romney from 2006 and his first effort to win the Republican nomination, through the 2012 elections, revealing the man behind the sound bites in an authentic view the public rarely glimpsed during the media frenzy of a national campaign."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rLHxbemvpxY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-28-14, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Mitt (2014) A Netflx Original Documentary

I watched it. Lots of fly on the wall footage, but I didn't feel like I really got a better sense of Romney than I did during the campaign. I mean, yes, there's some good footage of him being upset at having to play so many political games, but I think his frustration with political games and not understanding all the ins and outs of them are what led to a lot of the gaffes he made.

I think this would have been better if it had been sprinkled in with interviews after the fact, looking back on how things went, decisions that got made, etc.

Also, my mother has MS, so the section on Ann's MS felt very bizarre to me. You've got one of the sons talking about how debilitating it is, and then it cuts to Ann playing with a horse and saying, "Oh, I get fatigued if I'm on the road too long, and Mitt tells me to go home and ride my horse, and that always makes me feel better!" My mother was paralyzed for over a year, and I know every MS case differs in expression and severity, but it really seemed to downplay the effects. Maybe Ann was putting on a brave face because the cameras were rolling, who knows.

My takeaway is that he seemed to actually give a shit about small business owners, and really felt the government was stifling economic growth. But again, he knew that cameras were rolling.

Last edited by Supermallet; 01-28-14 at 02:23 AM.