Political Film Discuss Documentary + Political Films

How to Survive a Plague (2012)

Old 11-18-13, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How to Survive a Plague (2012)

I just watch this documentary, directed by David France, for the first time. It was nominated for Best Documentary, but lost to "Searching for Sugar Man". It shows archival footage of a group of people infected with the AIDS virus in the mid '80's, who are fighting mostly against Presidents Reagan and Bush, a little with Clinton, and fighting against drug companies thinking that they're not doing enough to push and find a cure.

Spoiler:
It wasn't until the guy who started all the complaining and up roars died from the virus that the others started realizing how wrong they were and that they were the reason that the drugs given wasn't working. Scientist were using drugs on lab rats. None of them wanted to come forward to try the drugs on themselves.

The only thing I'll say from the film is that the people and groups who survived, owes Reagan, Bush, little with Clinton , the Drug Companies and Scientist an apology.

When I watched the film, all I could think about is how all they cared only about was themselves. No one else. Scientist have been trying to find cures for cancer, heart & lung disease, diabetes and smallpox for a lot longer time with no success. As for smallpox, it took over thousands of years to find a cure. Smallpox was responsible for an estimated 300–500 million deaths during the 20th century. A cure was found in 1977. Smallpox was a bigger killer then AIDS. I'm still glad they found meds that help.

Last edited by darkhawk; 11-18-13 at 09:20 AM.