Political Film Discuss Documentary + Political Films

Game Change

Old 03-12-12, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Game Change

Anyone catch Game Change on HBO?

Sarah Palin was worse than anyone could have imagined. What a complete absence of responsibility to this country exhibited by McCain and his campaign team.
Old 03-12-12, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Game Change

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Anyone catch Game Change on HBO?

Sarah Palin was worse than anyone could have imagined. What a complete absence of responsibility to this country exhibited by McCain and his campaign team.
At least they're willing to admit it.

McCain strategist Steve Schmidt (played by Woody Harrelson) told The Washington Post that the film was “the true story of what happened over those 10 weeks” of the 2008 campaign.
Schmidt also told the newspaper: “I regret playing a part in a process that yielded someone on the ticket who was not prepared to be president.” That was a slap, of course, at Palin.
Nicolle Wallace, a McCain staffer who handled Palin, described the movie as “true enough to make me squirm” on ABC’s “This Week.”

It was a pretty good movie. Moore, Harrelson and Paulson gave terrific perfomances.
Old 03-12-12, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We had some pretty strong Palin support in the forum. Good times!
Old 03-13-12, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This was a good movie and I would agree with opinion that Moore, Harrelson and Paulson gave terrific performances.

Ironically it was that much about politics and more about how the vetting process failed this time for the McCain campaign.

I would recommend it.
Old 03-13-12, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And with the vetting process failing, how incredibly close we were to having a complete incompetent controlling the most powerful military in the world.
Old 03-13-12, 02:54 PM

And with the vetting process failing, how incredibly close we were to having a complete incompetent controlling the most powerful military in the world.
We have that now.
Old 03-13-12, 04:49 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard View Post
We have that now.
What exactly is incompetent about our current president?

He's ended one war and he's about to end another one. He didn't botch the mission to kill public enemy #1. And he's also resisting the urge give a green light that will start another war.

You are aware that W. is not our president anymore, right?
Old 03-14-12, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
What exactly is incompetent about our current president?

He's ended one war and he's about to end another one. He didn't botch the mission to kill public enemy #1. And he's also resisting the urge give a green light that will start another war.

You are aware that W. is not our president anymore, right?
You're too funny.
Old 03-14-12, 03:23 PM

Can you explain whats so funny?
Old 03-14-12, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
Can you explain whats so funny?
The fact that you make out Obama to be this competent President. He's no great shakes everyone made him out to be. I'm not defending W. but Obama is in the same club.
Old 03-15-12, 02:10 PM

Oh, I see. I think we have different understandings of 'incompetent' and 'competent'. From my perspective, a person is 'incompetent' when he takes a good situation and makes it worse... A 'competent' is someone who can take a situation, keep it constant or make it better. These are not dictionary definitions, mind you.

I'm glad you agree that Bush was incompetent because he took surpluses and created debt. He took a decent economy and turned it to shambles. And he got us into two wars of arguable necessity.

Obama, I still don't see him as fitting the definition of incompetent. I already gave us instances of his foreign policy. If he was Jimmy Carter incompetent, he would've bungled the Bin Laden operation. (He didn't.) The economy, we can see it improving relative to what he inherited. If you're a fan of that liberal rag The Economist, you can see the latest cover story is on the economic recovery being within sight (though with potential danger lurking). I can't wait to read it.
Old 03-18-12, 06:04 PM

Good performances by everybody especially Juliette Moore. Although I don't agree with Sarah Palin's politics I felt sorry for her. Tossed in over her head. I've been there a few times. I'd criticize an educational system that has someone graduate college without a rudimentary knowledge of history or geography.
Old 03-18-12, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by DeFan View Post
Good performances by everybody especially Juliette Moore.
I think you mean Juliette Lewis.
Old 03-19-12, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I just finished watching this. Great movie, and spectacular performances all around. Moore's Palin was eerie. It was a well-made and interesting film, no matter who you voted for. Of course, like McCain and Palin themselves, a lot of people will call it inaccurate without even seeing it (as both McCain and Palin are on record as stating), because they like to live with their heads in the sand. It's pretty clear, based on the number of primary figures in this story that have given it their seal of approval, that the country really dodged a bullet with the 2008 campaign.
Old 03-19-12, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by RoadToPerdition View Post
I think you mean Juliette Lewis.
Julianne Moore
Old 03-20-12, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Larry C. View Post
The fact that you make out Obama to be this competent President. He's no great shakes everyone made him out to be. I'm not defending W. but Obama is in the same club.
Intelligence goes a LONG way. But I understand that Republicans desperately want to paint Obama as a failed President.
Old 03-20-12, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Intelligence goes a LONG way. But I understand that Republicans desperately want to paint Obama as a failed President.
That has nothing to do with it. We have no one to blame but ourselves for the economy.

Maybe if most of us weren't retarded and have to lie and try to afford housing that we couldn't or shouldn't be in, we wouldn't be in the mess we are now.

Blame Bush, blame Obama but the real blame is Us.

FWIW I thought the movie was entertaining and the performances were excellent.

Last edited by Larry C.; 03-22-12 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-22-12, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Of course it does. Comparing Obama and Bush II is laughable.
Old 03-23-12, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Watched about a half-hour of it so far....Julianne Moore does an amazing Palin impression.
Old 03-23-12, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We had some pretty strong Palin support in the forum. Good times!
While watching the movie I kept thinking about how many "supporters" she had here and was wondering what they think now.
Old 03-25-12, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Finished watching it. Great performance by Moore but it really wasn't anything we really didn't already know. At the end, it was good that they acknowledged that the selection made no difference in the end (generally, the Veep selection is extremely overrated as a electoral factor by the media and people) - McCain was doomed no matter what. Like I said 4 years ago - he needed to swing for the fences, and as frequently happens when you do that, you strike out.
Old 03-25-12, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The film did have good performances, but for anyone who paid attention during the election, there's nothing too surprising on display here.
Old 03-26-12, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I found is surprising Sarah Palin had to write down that Germany was the primary antagonist in WWI and WWII. I had no idea she was THAT vapid.
Old 03-26-12, 03:44 PM

I found is surprising Sarah Palin had to write down that Germany was the primary antagonist in WWI and WWII. I had no idea she was THAT vapid.
I assumed that specific exchange about Germany didn't actually happen but was added by the writers. It really didn't happen, did it?

Please, please tell me it didn't.
Old 03-27-12, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I want to see the other half of the book made into a another movie/sequel. The Crazy Clinton Half. I missed that part of the book and thought that was just as interesting.

BTW, I am a Dem and like the Clinton's but really thought that part of the book was interesting...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.