Political Film Discuss Documentary + Political Films

Fat Head

Old 09-16-11, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Fat Head

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1333994/

A show about a guy who goes on an all fast food diet for 30 days to show that Super Size Me was mostly crap. It gets really good 1 hour in as the first hour is mainly about his diet, etc. That's good too, but the rest is fantastic.

Of note, Spurlock apparently has never released his "food log" to show what he ate. This is important because he claimed to eat 5,000+ calories per day. This showed that there is no combination of McD's food in which you could actually get to that amount in having 3 meals per day.

The last hour was very much like an episode of Penn & Teller's Bullshit.

I'd love to hear from anyone that has seen it. It was one of the best documentaries I have seen lately, and after Netflix finally decided to support my phone, I've seen quite a few.

I'm actually hoping this thread will produce upwards of 2 replies per week. Imagine the excitement in this forum if that were to happen.
Old 09-17-11, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Fat Head

I haven't seen Super Size Me, but are we talking about 1 complete order per meal (i.e. one value meal..Big Mac, large fries, coke)? Or could a meal consist of say... 2 Double Quarter Pounders with cheese, 1 chicken sandwich, fries, large milkshake etc? If it's the latter, he could definitely exceed 5000+ calories per day.

Anyway a good reminder to finally check out Super Size Me. I'll also add Fat Head to my queue.

Thanks for the heads-up Dave.
Old 09-17-11, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Spurlock's "rules" were 3 meals per day (any meal, not 4 big mac, etc). He had to have everything on the menu at least once, and if they asked him to super size, he would. Out of 60 meals (you can't super size breakfast) they asked him if he wanted to super size 9 times.

Definitely watch Super Size Me first, and then the other.It's a great rebuttal.
Old 09-17-11, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, I got nothin' to do this weekend so I'll watch both of these.
Old 09-17-11, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk God

I look forward to hearing what you think.
Old 09-17-11, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just finished Fat Head, and it's one of the best documentaries on food I've ever seen. This is totally what I've been discussing in the Biggest Loser threads over the last years. Carbohydrates. Just why the hell are the "suggested" carbs so fucking high. 300g for a 2,000 calorie diet is just insane. When I was 305lbs, I was drinking those large orange sodas at McD's and super-large big gulps and slurpees. It's the sugar and grains that's making people fat...not natural fat.

I don't particularly like fast food restaurants, but I will agree with the Fat Head author, eating there in moderation will certainly not kill you. I would bet if they took out those FREE REFILL fountains of soda, there would be instantaneous weight loss. Because once again, it's not the fat in the burgers or the fries...but the soda and the carbs in the buns.

When I started losing weight, I stopped using Margarine and went to butter. Why? Not because I was smart and figured it out initially, but because I liked the taste of real butter. It was that simple, and I was confused myself as to why I was losing weight. Combining exercise (more than just the idiotic 30mins recommendation by our government), and gradually reducing the sugar and carbs, I am where I am today.

Of course now, I have to deal with "pockets" of fat which are just terrible to get rid of. Currently I'm weight training more and adding muscle and this appears to be working, rather than just running like I did last year.

But getting back to the documentary, it is certainly more in line with what's going on. I won't disagree entirely with Supersize Me, however. There is a degree of marketing to certain neighborhoods and socioeconomic areas, but this DOES NOT mean McD's is the sole proprietor of creating Fat People.

Carbohydrates are worth more than gold, and the US Gov't knows it. Reduce your carb recommendations, and you reduce your grain output and/or grain imports.

I try to do just about what the Fat Head recommends. 100g of carbs a day on a 2K calorie diet. Cut your carbs by 66% and you'll lose weight and feel better. I won't say it's easy. It's fucking tough. Because over the last 15 years (as of 2008 anyway), I was eating cheap carb meals to give me the energy, but what I was doing, was actually damaging my body, and not giving it the fuel it really needs.

So, I definitely agree with the Fat Head documentary and certainly not so much with Supersize Me. I recommend anyone losing the battle with their weight to put Fat Head on their list to watch. Spurlock's documentary or whatever he calls it, is much more questionable. He seems to have changed the variables in his argument to a point where I have to wonder if he has his own political motivation versus just wanting the consumer to be properly informed.

NOTE: Supersize Me is not available online via Netflix (as of today anyway) (gosh, I wonder why their stock plummeted 20% or more yesterday...).
Old 09-18-11, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Great recommendation Dave. Watched it with the wife tonight and it was really eye opening. Not really entertaining per se and dragged in parts, but gave us alot to think about.

One of the conventions that really should be highlighted is that according to science, the BEST thing you can eat coming out of sleep starvation is basically eggs and meat. That alone will jump start your metabolism.

It's really worth watching if only to spur your thinking along. I understand alot more now about diets and the human body than I did, so if only for that, it's worth it.
Old 09-18-11, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk God

I enjoyed the part with the reenactment of the lawyer. It's pretty obvious a case was trying to be made to somehow sue McDonald's because they have billions and all the other causes didn't have any money. Especially the whole "addiction" thing.

Another great one is Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead. About an Australian guy who does fruit and veggie juice fast for 60 days. Not pushy. In the end he decides that it is all about moderation in everything. He has some rare skin disease which he ends up off medication for because of his improved health. And having never met someone with the exact condition before, meets a truck driver in AZ that has it.

Documentaries are really not my usual thing, but I think I've seen 5 in the past 2 days.
Old 09-18-11, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Also wanted to add the overlaying comments about our society using cars for everything, and not having to walk even a few feet. The parts where he is actually WALKING in the parking lot and being followed by dozens of cars, thinking he is parked nearby was really funny. I experience this myself. I park farther away than most people, and it's not because I want to walk farther, but just because everyone is so insane about getting the CLOSEST PARKING SPOT to the front door of a store. This kind of mentality is also part of the "obesity epidemic".
Old 09-23-11, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm just curious what is the point of the film? Is it that it's all about moderation?
Old 09-24-11, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
I'm just curious what is the point of the film? Is it that it's all about moderation?
Not really. It is more about a rebuttal to the film Supersize Me. Not sure if you have seen it, but effectively the film was about a guy who decided to eat at McDonald's for 30 days straight with the following rules....he would eat 3 meals a day, he would try everything on the menu at least once, and he would supersize anytime they asked him to.

Well, over the course of teh 30 days, the dude gained 25 pounds, became impotent, doctor said he was risking long term health problems, lawyer said he was addicted to the food, etc. This film shows how the claims of the movie could not be accurate in a number of ways. Such as, the original film never released what he actually ate. They claimed he was eating 5,000+ calories a day, but by his own rules, they couldn't get to 4,000. And they essentially took apart the movie, which won film festival awards, etc. because it said that fast food is evil. The rest laid out why we gain weight, etc.

Honestly, if you haven't seen Supersize Me, then this movie doesn't make much sense. If you have seen it, you need to see this.
Old 09-24-11, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You should watch 'Supersize Me', and then not watch this one.
Old 09-24-11, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Why is that, good doctor?
Old 09-24-11, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just watch 'Supersize Me', then stop.

That is all...
Old 09-24-11, 04:29 PM
Premium Member

Nope, watch both if you are going to watch one.
Old 09-24-11, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Only watch 'Supersize Me', then ignore the other one.
Old 09-24-11, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
Just watch 'Supersize Me', then stop.

That is all...
I did stop...for years. Then found this.

You're stupid.
Old 09-25-11, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Not really. It is more about a rebuttal to the film Supersize Me. Not sure if you have seen it, but effectively the film was about a guy who decided to eat at McDonald's for 30 days straight with the following rules....he would eat 3 meals a day, he would try everything on the menu at least once, and he would supersize anytime they asked him to.

Well, over the course of teh 30 days, the dude gained 25 pounds, became impotent, doctor said he was risking long term health problems, lawyer said he was addicted to the food, etc. This film shows how the claims of the movie could not be accurate in a number of ways. Such as, the original film never released what he actually ate. They claimed he was eating 5,000+ calories a day, but by his own rules, they couldn't get to 4,000. And they essentially took apart the movie, which won film festival awards, etc. because it said that fast food is evil. The rest laid out why we gain weight, etc.

Honestly, if you haven't seen Supersize Me, then this movie doesn't make much sense. If you have seen it, you need to see this.
Thanks. I never had an interest in Supersize Me. I saw bits and pieces of it on TV I think awhile back. I think I'll pass on both.
Old 09-25-11, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I originally watched FatHead in April ... a very good rebuttal the the obviously agenda-driven SuperSize me. There were few good moments in SuperSize Me, but they were buried in condescending clap-trap. I enjoyed FatHead and thought that the scientific explanations offered made sense (yes ... it is not agenda-free either). End result ... SuperSize me affected me is absolutely zero ways while FatHead has spurred me to change the way I look at food and drop 30 pounds (in 3 months so far). It's not for everyone, but worth a look.

BTW ... the blog for FatHead is also informative and entertaining. http://www.fathead-movie.com/
Old 09-25-11, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://fitbie.msn.com/eat-right/tips...ugar?gt1=50002

Some good info on sugar. And we're not even talking about corn syrup.
Old 09-26-11, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
I think I'll pass on both.
Good choice.

If you must watch one, though, watch 'Supersize Me', and then don't watch that other one.
Old 09-26-11, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Old 09-27-11, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

1. Watch "Super Size Me"
2. Ignore Dr. Mabuse
3. Watch "FatHead
4. Make up your own mind

I can't believe it's still necessary to discuss what we should and should not eat. It's not that fucking complicated!
Old 09-27-11, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, right. We're talking about the Facebook Population. They can't even put their own clothes on without being told how to do it.
Old 10-10-11, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't think either documentary proves anything. I've only seen Supersize Me, but apparently both documentaries are about a single person. If these were studies with dozens of matched participants, it would be a different story. Case studies may make for good documentaries, but they rarely make for good science.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.