Political Film Discuss Documentary + Political Films

911: In Plane Site

Old 08-07-11, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

911: In Plane Site

Most of you who've been on DVD Talk for any length of time should know I readily shoot down (pun not intended) any conspiracy theories. So, I happened to watch this, because I'm always open to another viewpoint.

The documentary was interesting. I tend to believe some of the facts, when looked at after the incident happened, can be misleading. The major reason being the US, from the top to the bottom of every sort of communication at the time...was confused itself. The media said anything that came its way, and anyone was interviewed who had any "eyewitness" account. This is a good thing in terms of freedom of the press.

But what all documentaries need to really watch out for, is looking in hindsight and then deducing there was a massive conspiracy because of the lack of common sense or what is seen in footage, or what mistakes the US Gov't made.

I'd like to read what anyone else's opinion was of this documentary. I didn't have time to actually cross-reference their statements too much, but at the least, the documentary raises a lot of questions about how secure our nation is, and how ineffective it was (still is in my opinion) when it actually had to use its own protocol.

---

One argument I raised my eyebrows about was the type of aircraft hitting the towers, which the documentary eluded to, instead of a commercial airliner. From the video, it does look like there was a non-commercial attachment to the bottom of the plane. Doesn't appear to be a shadow. In any case, this is an interesting argument.
Old 08-07-11, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: 911: In Plane Site

There are still 9/11 conspiracy nut jobs out there?
Old 08-08-11, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post

One argument I raised my eyebrows about was the type of aircraft hitting the towers, which the documentary eluded to, instead of a commercial airliner. From the video, it does look like there was a non-commercial attachment to the bottom of the plane. Doesn't appear to be a shadow. In any case, this is an interesting argument.

Aw Jeez! Not this shit again!
Old 08-08-11, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like reading about conspiracies. I don't understand the hate conspiracy believers get... many intelligent people believe more than what they've been told. Lots of people believe in God but I don't call them nutjobs.

As for the title in question, I didn't care for it and it failed to make me believe there was a 9/11 conspiracy.
Old 08-09-11, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, in any case, I was entertained for an hour. It was either that or watch Pawn Stars.
Old 08-11-11, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

if this was a conspiracy wikileaks would have published it
Old 09-01-11, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
Yes, sadly there are. In fact, last year I saw a 9/11 "Truth" film festival listed in the paper. Where at various coffee shops, and college campuses around town. They were airing various conspiracy documentaries for free trying to spread the word.

I don't think such a festival existed this year, since I couldn't find anything in my search which only brought up the 2010 festival. But they still exist out there and can't seem to be reasoned with since they're so caught up in the conspiracy nonsense.

I actually saw this film in a college class years ago. It was a surreal early morning experience, and actually quite amusing in hindsight. The teacher was so into the conspiracy and tried to scare us into believing it as well. Despite spending the semester trying to teach us how to think for ourselves and not follow the crowd, and look at information objectively and so forth. When someone dared to counter the conspiracy as B.S. and not making sense. The teacher was angry and in a very stern voice started quoting some phrases from '1984'( which we read that semester among many other similar books) and pushed the student to shut up, so no one dared counter any of the claims made in the documentary at all.

Because of the teachers hypocrisy in trying to scare us into believing the conspiracy despite what he taught us that semester, and the way the video was sensationally constructed. It took a lot of effort to keep myself from laughing, as the various theories were spewed out with overly dramatic music playing constantly.

But for those curious, here it is...

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...17427531377078
Old 09-01-11, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
Indeed there are. They even wrote a book.
Old 09-02-11, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

HDNet is showing Loose Change on 9/11. Seems kind of crass to me.
Old 09-02-11, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I actually saw a UA jet today, and it looked just like the "Gov't No-Windows Plane" talked about. Wish the documentary would have compared the UA planes, but I don't remember them doing it. Didn't really help their point much.
Old 09-05-11, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
I like reading about conspiracies. I don't understand the hate conspiracy believers get... many intelligent people believe more than what they've been told. Lots of people believe in God but I don't call them nutjobs.

As for the title in question, I didn't care for it and it failed to make me believe there was a 9/11 conspiracy.
I don't mind conspiracies, but people need to understand the scope of something when they talk about conspiracies. As the number of people that must be involved in a conspiracy goes up, the likelihood of the truth not coming out reduces exponentially.

I know young earth creationists who believe dinosaur bones are a conspiracy and others that believe scientists know that evolution is false but are together in a conspiracy to keep that knowledge secret. Even the old "carborator that gives 110mpg with no reduction in performance" conspiracy. The bigger the scope of the conspiracy, the more people that must know about it, and the near certainty that it will come out.

The biggest reason conspiracy believers get a lot of shit is because their evidence is poor, yet all evidence to the contrary is generally seen as evidence by them of just how deep the conspiracy goes.