Political Film Discuss Documentary + Political Films

Hot Coffee -- HBO documentary

Old 07-27-11, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Hot Coffee -- HBO documentary

Just watched this last night. It's a documentary about the infamous McDonald's hot coffee spill case. The one that outraged so many.

This should be required viewing for anyone who has ever used that case in an attempt to point out the supposed ills of our civil justice system. Did a nice job of going through what really happened (most of the 'outraged' people have no clue about the facts of the case). It also showed how big corporations used that case in their push for tort reform and what exactly tort reform means in real world application. Also talked about how much money bodies such as the U.S. Chamber of Commerce have donated to get pro-business lawyers elected to state high courts to uphold such legislation as damage cap statutes.

I assume it will be reaired. I think it's on HBO GO too. I definitely recommend it. And you might want to turn away when you see the burns that the coffee caused.
Old 07-27-11, 08:34 AM

Re: Hot Coffee -- HBO documentary

I watched this. HBO is playing it a lot. Some good points are made (particularly on the subject of forced arbitration), but overall it plays like an infomercial for trial lawyers. The tort reform spokesman was remarkably candid, and came off pretty well considering he was supposed to be the "villain" of the piece.
Old 07-27-11, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Oh it definitely puts trial lawyers in a good light, but I think it did a good job showing how big business (because it can be so spread out) can dwarf the trial lawyers in political contributions. Yet it's the trial lawyers that usually get most of the criticism for controlling the political process.
Old 07-27-11, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
And you might want to turn away when you see the burns that the coffee caused.
I was in college at the time of this case and I remember that McDonald's starting printing "Hot Coffee" on their coffee cups. My google image search should have had a similar warning too...
Old 07-27-11, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Agree with all three of you. The Hot Coffeee case is one of the reasons we need frivilous lawsuits thrown out and tort reform.
Old 07-27-11, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-11-11, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

someone i used to know died a few years ago. she had a heart attack and went to one hospital and then was transfered again. I think the final cause of death was a blood clot. the family sued the hospital of course. even though this person was obese, smoked, in poor health and might have had diabetes. but on the bright side her husband at the time did really believe that the hospital killed his wife
Old 08-12-11, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought it was going to be a documentary about the Grand Theft Auto controversy.
Old 08-29-11, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Saw this documentary today. The burn wounds were wicked nasty. How did they sell coffee that hot and expect people to drink it?

The rest of it was really good. I don't know much about Al Franken but he seemed like a pretty intelligent guy. I don't think this was pro trial lawyers as much as it was anti-corporations. It also had that great example at the end of people voting against things that help them. Sometimes I think we're the only country that votes against its own interests.
Old 08-30-11, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
The burn wounds were wicked nasty. How did they sell coffee that hot and expect people to drink it?

maybe it was meant as a CIA torture method and not for general consumption?
Old 06-05-14, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Just watched this last night. It's a documentary about the infamous McDonald's hot coffee spill case. The one that outraged so many.

This should be required viewing for anyone who has ever used that case in an attempt to point out the supposed ills of our civil justice system. Did a nice job of going through what really happened (most of the 'outraged' people have no clue about the facts of the case). It also showed how big corporations used that case in their push for tort reform and what exactly tort reform means in real world application. Also talked about how much money bodies such as the U.S. Chamber of Commerce have donated to get pro-business lawyers elected to state high courts to uphold such legislation as damage cap statutes.

I assume it will be reaired. I think it's on HBO GO too. I definitely recommend it. And you might want to turn away when you see the burns that the coffee caused.
Oh I never heard about it before. It sounds very exciting though. McDonald's is such a popular fast food outlet that such little nuisance won't affect it a bit.
Old 06-05-14, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by FinnFelton View Post
Oh I never heard about it before. It sounds very exciting though. McDonald's is such a popular fast food outlet that such little nuisance won't affect it a bit.
When did it happen? I think it was about 15 years ago... If McD's was going to get a back-lash in sales I think it would have happened by now.
Old 06-07-14, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
When did it happen? I think it was about 15 years ago... If McD's was going to get a back-lash in sales I think it would have happened by now.
Without looking it up, it had to be a bit more than 15 years because Seinfeld ended 16 years ago.

(Looks it up) It was 20 years ago.
Old 06-09-14, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
Saw this documentary today. The burn wounds were wicked nasty. How did they sell coffee that hot and expect people to drink it?
I think McD's rationale is that many customers don't drink their coffee right away, on site. They drink it on the road, and that extra time between purchase and consumption typically cools the coffee down to just "hot" instead of "dangerously hot."
Old 06-13-14, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FinnFelton View Post
An odd first post and bump.
Old 06-13-14, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Who the hell posts in this dead forum for their first post.
Old 06-13-14, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Who the hell posts in this dead forum for their first post.
Especially in an old thread about a subject they never heard about.