Political Film Discuss Documentary + Political Films

Tapped - bottled water is evil

Old 06-14-11, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Tapped - bottled water is evil

http://tappedthefilm.com/

saw this on netflix over the weekend

according to the movie drinking bottled water is bad because it's "made" by big companies, there is little drinking water out of total water, chemicals in plastic, trash, etc.

they are full of sh1t but so so movie to kill a rainy saturday
Old 06-14-11, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Tapped - bottled water is evil

Bad form, man. There were 4 days left before we could resume posting in the sub-forum and you just couldn't wait.
Old 06-16-11, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I like bottled water. Florida tap water tastes like shit.
Old 06-16-11, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
http://tappedthefilm.com/

saw this on netflix over the weekend

according to the movie drinking bottled water is bad because it's "made" by big companies, there is little drinking water out of total water, chemicals in plastic, trash, etc.

they are full of sh1t but so so movie to kill a rainy saturday
I saw the movie but got something different out of it. It's the amount of garbage and litter these plastic bottles create. There needs to be an accountable recycling program from the same corporations who charge for their overpriced tap water. We see this all the time. Corporations abusing resources and get away with it. If it were an individual, that individual would be fined and held accountable.
Old 06-17-11, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Agreed. Otherwise we will run out of plastic.
Old 06-17-11, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like purified water with some amount of minerals added back in for taste.
Old 06-17-11, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
I saw the movie but got something different out of it. It's the amount of garbage and litter these plastic bottles create. There needs to be an accountable recycling program from the same corporations who charge for their overpriced tap water. We see this all the time. Corporations abusing resources and get away with it. If it were an individual, that individual would be fined and held accountable.

can't speak for every place but in NYC old chinese people along with others collect up all the bottles and cans and make money off them.

and i remember when the 5 cent deposit started. it was before bottled water. people want individual drinks on the go. Coke and pepsi only got into the market after water started taking market share from their sugary diabetes drinks and years ago
Old 06-17-11, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_3QBZac3MSY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

On edit: I guess we can't embed in this forum.

Well, here's John Stossel's take on bottled water:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3QBZac3MSY
Old 06-17-11, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
I like bottled water. Florida tap water tastes like shit.
clearly they've skipped the fecal removal process
Old 06-19-11, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Florida has opted out of the fecal removal process altogether, not just for tap water.

P.S.: Doris, new thread. It's on!
Old 09-18-11, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk God

I just watched this. Really odd hippie movie. Sounds like Maine has some pretty poor water regulation as a state if some company can just go in and "water mine" a town. Tough to fault a company when they are just going by the state laws. WA has very restrictive laws. If you wanted to do the same thing here, you'd be paying tap water prices.

And then to blame droughts, etc. on bottled water? That is so asinine that I can't believe anyone would fall for it. Do they think that water is being taken by the mothership in V and leaving the earth? It's still around, and the same show showed that 70% (IIRC) was actually bottled and sold in the same state. The idea that people don't see through that is more disturbing and should be the focus of a documentary.

And then the huge "plastic in our oceans/plastic is evil" segment. I loved it. They show a beach and how instead of sand, most of it was broken up little pieces of plastic. They warn the watcher that when they buy plastic, they are contributing to the problem. Then you see people picking up the plastic on the beach and depositing them into.....nice new plastic ziploc bags. They aren't even reusing grocery bags or something.

In the end, blame the health nut hippies. They complained about our diets and our soft drinks and said we should drink more water....so we did. And now they are pissed about that. Why? Because they constantly need some new cause to be pissed about.

Personally, I find the entire idea of buying bottled water to be silly. If I am going to pay that amount for a drink, it is going to be flavored and carbonated, and even have some caffeine in it. But you know what they main ingredient will be? Water. Causing droughts across the land....or wait, it won't because only bottled water does that.

I've seen so many good documentaries in the past few days that I worried that I was just susceptible to believing (or at least sympathizing) with anything presented to me. This film proved that is not a concern.
Old 09-18-11, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

In the end, blame the health nut hippies. They complained about our diets and our soft drinks and said we should drink more water....so we did. And now they are pissed about that. Why? Because they constantly need some new cause to be pissed about.
^