Political Film Discuss Documentary + Political Films

Waiting for Superman

Old 09-19-10, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Waiting for Superman

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZKTfaro96dg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZKTfaro96dg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

-I'll see this film but it already looks like another way to lay blame on someone else rather than the kids themselves and making the teachers look like the ones failing the students.

For some reason the embedding is not working. Heres the youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKTfaro96dg
Old 09-19-10, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Waiting for Superman

Sweet Jeezly Christ. Kids are getting dumber.

Old 09-19-10, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have been awaiting this one with interest for a few months now. I will probably have to venture down to one of the Landmark theaters in DC to see it or wait for DVD.

Ironically, Michelle Rhee, the Asian woman who speaks at the beginning of the trailer, is almost certainly about to lose her job as head of DC schools as voters have just opted not to re-elect the mayor who appointed her.
Old 09-20-10, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Should be interesting. There is a fair amount that I disagree with when you talk about "education reform" but I also recognize that I see it from a small rural area.
Old 09-21-10, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Superman
Old 09-21-10, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk God

I have read a few books on the subject of our (the US) test scores against other nations and how poor we do. Here is a breakdown of one of the books.
http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0...-anything.html

The First International Mathematics Study (FIMS) was a math test given to students from 11 countries in 1964. The US was second to last, next to Sweden. But that is 46 years ago, so what did those scores correlate to for those now in their 50s?
The wealth of nations scoring higher than the U.S. on FIMS averaged 73% of the per-capita income in the U.S. in 2002. (2) FIMS scores in 1964 correlate at r = -0.48 with 2002 PPP-GDP. In short, the higher a nation's test score 40 years ago, the worse its economic performance on this measure of national wealth.

The average economic growth rate for the decade 1992-2002 correlates with FIMS at r = -0.24. Like the generation of wealth, the rate of economic growth for nations improved as test scores dropped.

Productivity--GDP per hour worked--might be a better measure of a nation's economic success than GDP, since nations differ in the number of hours a year that the average worker spends at work.(3) There is no relationship between FIMS scores and hourly output, r = -.03. In 2004, the average hourly output of those nations that outscored the U.S. in 1964 was 3.4% lower than U.S. productivity

Some argue that GDP is too simple a measure of national goals, that there is more to the good life than money. The United Nation's Quality of Life Index addresses this concern. Those who worry about international test score standings base their worries on an assumption that high-scoring nations are more successful at doing the things nations should be doing, and offering a good quality of life to citizens is one of those things. But again, they are wrong. The average rank on the Quality of Life Index for nations that scored above the U.S. on FIMS was 10.8. The U.S. ranked seventh (lower numbers are better). FIMS scores correlated with Quality of Life at r = -0.57.

Livability. An alternative to the Quality of Life Index, the Most Livable Countries Index, shows that six of the nine countries that scored higher on FIMS than the U.S. are worse places to live. Livability correlates with FIMS scores at r = -.49.
Anyway, I'm not saying there isn't reform needed in schools, but it is overhyped.
Old 09-21-10, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk God

And having written about it in the "political films" area, I hope both the people that read that post over the next 6 months enjoy it.
Old 09-22-10, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In regards to education reform, I believe it's another issue falling victim to society's inability to place any blame on parents nowadays. Much like child obesity or video game violence.
Old 09-23-10, 01:57 AM

This trailer doesn't show anything new. It looks like another doomsayer film.

I'd say our education system was always "bad". But it's better than other countries. I had crappy teachers growing up. I think from K-12 I had maybe 4-5 good teachers. That means I had dozens of mediocre or just plain bad teachers (I'm talking about apathy, drunks, and mental illness). Fortunately, I didn't have too many bad teachers.

Parents play an essential role in the education of their children. I haven't seen the film but the trailer doesn't mention this at all. IMHO, the parent's role is just as important as the teacher's in their children's education.

Richard Feynman, the nobel prize winner, also did his own investigation why the US ranked in the lower half of countries for education. I won't repeat his findings here as you can look it up. I will say the standards used to rank countries was misleading. And I'm sure they are using the same standards as before.

Last edited by Highlander; 09-28-10 at 07:37 AM.
Old 09-23-10, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Working with students myself, I place a lot of the blame on apathetic parents. I've had a number of students tell me their parents tell them learning science isn't important.

I've definitely had a few parents be supportive when I call home for behavior issues and help me get the kids back on track, but there have also been some who let me know I'm bugging them or refuse to answer the phone, even when calling their personal cell number. I can't do much more for the kids when they go home and are told it's ok to blow off school and they would be better off in life with a $10 an hour job.
Old 09-24-10, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i know someone who lives in one of the best school districts in the country and their kid is going to repeat one of the K-6 grades. reason is they let the kid watch TV and play all the time. and the reason it's a good school district is because parents make sure their kids are prepared for school.

my son just turned 3 and knows most of the letters of the alphabet, most of the numbers and shapes and colors. knew them a long time ago. and he watches a lot of TV as well
Old 10-02-10, 11:56 AM
Suspended

When I was in grade school, I learned to read by using Phonics, the 8 parts of speech, etc. I was never allowed to misspell a word. I always had to correct it. Now, teachers allow bad spelling to slide in favor of getting the theme (or main idea) correct.

Today, at least in my district, Phonics--the method that has proven to work in the past-- is now relegated to only Special Education. General Education now uses whole language reading, which requires you to look at a whole word and sound it out, without the basic skills of phonics. If you can't do that, you are told to ask someone what the word is, and to hell with figuring it out yourself. Seriously. That's a teaching tool.

Personally, I insist on the same standards I was held to as a grade school student. Consequently, some of my resource autistic students stay on task longer, and become more proficient in writing and reading, than their normally developing peers.

Teachers need to stop turning "C's" into the new "A's", and stop socially promoting their students.
Old 10-05-10, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
i know someone who lives in one of the best school districts in the country and their kid is going to repeat one of the K-6 grades. reason is they let the kid watch TV and play all the time. and the reason it's a good school district is because parents make sure their kids are prepared for school.

my son just turned 3 and knows most of the letters of the alphabet, most of the numbers and shapes and colors. knew them a long time ago. and he watches a lot of TV as well
Leap Frog videos FTW!
Old 10-24-10, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I saw this last night. It was very, very good.
Old 10-25-10, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk God

What's the synopsis? Is it some great new school, or is it kids that are motivated to learn, etc? How are the parents involved?
Old 10-27-10, 05:22 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

I was reading something the other day about one of the girls in this actually went to a decent public school, something like 95% of the students pass the California High School Exit Exam on their first try during their sophomore year. She wanted to go to the charter school because she was a "poor tester" and was going to be placed in a lower track than she thought she should be in.

Most schools will allow a student to move up a track if the parents sign a waiver, so I'd be interested to know if that's the case there as well.
Old 02-16-11, 04:03 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

I finally got a chance to see this, and it doesn't really say anything new about the state of education today.

Like I mentioned in my post above, I didn't really see the point of including the girl from the burbs. I've taught in schools that have tracks and a school that doesn't. The school without tracks was a disaster.

While KIPP and Harlem Children's Zone are great ideas and have had success the film didn't really give the full story on each.

Geoffrey Canada has brought in tens of millions of dollars from private donations and has set up his own social service network within the HCZ. All the children who are apart of it receive free health care and dental visits and the adults receive services as well.

KIPP has a screening process where they weed out poor performing students early and have have a large rate of attrition.
Old 02-22-11, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Watched this over the weekend, very good flick.

It was interesting seeing a Progressive filmmaker portray the teachers' unions in a not so positive light.

Definitely worth watching. Be sure to listen to the commentary track.
Old 02-22-11, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk God

I will check it out.
Old 02-23-11, 12:43 PM
Banned by request

I'll check it out if kvrdave likes it.
Old 02-23-11, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Then I'll be sure to post a review.

Just for you.
Old 02-25-11, 08:16 PM
Banned by request

I think I just found my Superman!
Old 02-27-11, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk God

I am fond of you as well.
Old 02-27-11, 03:43 PM
Banned by request

Old 02-27-11, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk God

You fucker.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.