Political Film Discuss Documentary + Political Films

Frontline: The Suicide Tourist

Old 03-20-10, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Frontline: The Suicide Tourist

Finally got around to watching this latest Frontline off of DVR this morning, hainv originally aired on 3/2:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...etourist/view/

"I am dying. There is no sense in trying to deny that fact," 59-year-old Craig Ewert says of his rapid deterioration just months after being diagnosed with ALS, a motor neuron disorder often referred to as Lou Gehrig's disease.

"I'm not tired of living," explains Ewert, a retired computer science professor. "I'm tired of the disease, but I'm not tired of living. And I still enjoy it enough that I'd like to continue. But the thing is that I really can't."

Directed by Academy Award-winning filmmaker John Zaritsky, The Suicide Tourist is a portrait of Ewert's final days as the Chicago native pursues a physician-assisted suicide in the one place where it's legal for foreigners to come to end their lives: Switzerland. With unique access to Dignitas, the Swiss nonprofit that has helped more than 1,000 people die since 1998, The Suicide Tourist follows Ewert as he debates the morality -- and confronts the reality -- of choosing to die before his disease further ravages his body, and he loses the option to die without unbearable suffering.
I am not normally a fan of the documentary technique of addressing a social issue primarily through the experiences of a single person, but it is very effective here. Ewert was an intelligent man who had had plenty of time to consider his situation and was quite capable of putting into words the fruits of that consideration.

All in all, this was another winner from the Frontline series. Watch it online at the link above.
Old 03-21-10, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Frontline: The Suicide Tourist

That was ridiculously sad. Kinda changed my mind about it, in certain cases, Lou Gehrig's primarily.

Cancer, Million Dollar Baby, notsomuch.