Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

School e-mail. Can someone interpret this for me?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 08-05-22, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts

This is part of e-mail we received today from our son's school, regarding their math program. I have no idea what it is saying. It comes across as pure buzzword-speak. I think I've redacted everyone's names. Can anyone translate this for me?

<school's name> Math Program: Last spring the Middle School Math Department (Mr. <redacted> and Mr. <redacted>, Primary School Math Lead (Mrs. <redacted>, and I analyzed our trends in math achievement, expectations, and instruction Kindergarten through Grade 8. We researched and discussed strategies to balance depth and mastery of understanding with student success given the range of student achievement. We also discussed cross curricular approaches to incorporating math standards in both science and social studies and the benefits/costs of heterogeneous and homogeneous (leveled) grouping in math

As a result, the committee deconstructed the math standards to align vertically both internally (<school's name> and externally (high schools) and agreed to return to homogeneous grouping in the Middle School at this time. To assist us in deepening the foundation of our studentsí conceptual understanding of math, we will be partnering with <local university name> practitioners to provide professional development and teacher coaching in the Primary School. Our facilitator, Ms. <redacted>, will use literacy to lead our teachers through standards-based math instruction and Dr. <redacted> will provide teacher coaching and collaborative discussions.
My best guess of what they're saying is they're just going to group the kids without regard for their math scores, and get some teaching tips from a local university.
Old 08-05-22, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: School e-mail. Can someone interpret this for me?

Argh. Posted in the wrong forum. I could have sworn there was a delete. I'll ask a mod to move it.
Old 08-05-22, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 178 Posts

Sounds like Scott Adams wrote it for a Sunday Dilbert strip.
The following users liked this post:
Abob Teff (08-07-22)
Old 08-05-22, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 773 Likes on 534 Posts

Sounds like they are trying to push the gay agenda what with homogenous and all. But I think maybe they are saying they want to group students with others at the same level. Also, those teachers need to be Will Smithed for writing that.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kurt D:
Bandoman (08-08-22), Rocketsfan (08-06-22)
Old 08-05-22, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 569 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips View Post
This is part of e-mail we received today from our son's school, regarding their math program. I have no idea what it is saying. It comes across as pure buzzword-speak. I think I've redacted everyone's names. Can anyone translate this for me?

<school's name> Math Program: Last spring the Middle School Math Department (Mr. <redacted> and Mr. <redacted>, Primary School Math Lead (Mrs. <redacted>, and I analyzed our trends in math achievement, expectations, and instruction Kindergarten through Grade 8. We researched and discussed strategies to balance depth and mastery of understanding with student success given the range of student achievement. We also discussed cross curricular approaches to incorporating math standards in both science and social studies and the benefits/costs of heterogeneous and homogeneous (leveled) grouping in math

As a result, the committee deconstructed the math standards to align vertically both internally (<school's name> and externally (high schools) and agreed to return to homogeneous grouping in the Middle School at this time. To assist us in deepening the foundation of our studentsí conceptual understanding of math, we will be partnering with <local university name> practitioners to provide professional development and teacher coaching in the Primary School. Our facilitator, Ms. <redacted>, will use literacy to lead our teachers through standards-based math instruction and Dr. <redacted> will provide teacher coaching and collaborative discussions.

My best guess of what they're saying is they're just going to group the kids without regard for their math scores, and get some teaching tips from a local university.
Please don't delete it.

Now I know why our kids are doomed. With such a preponderance of doubletalk and useless words, no wonder American kids are hopelessly falling behind. Their teachers are bending over backwards to pat themselves on the back with a veritable Greek Salad of word hyperbole, while stating and doing so very little for the precious children...

Sickening. Double-plus ungood.
Old 08-05-22, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,718 Likes on 1,142 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
Sounds like they are trying to push the gay agenda what with homogenous and all.
Gay and really, really smart!
Old 08-05-22, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,414 Likes on 1,016 Posts

It sounds like the kids are doing shitty in math, so they're doing things to make it easier to pass them, and they're trying to hide it behind a bunch of corporatespeak.

At least they didn't use "synergy."

Old 08-05-22, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 499 Likes on 348 Posts

I think your interpretation is basically correct. I'd interpret it as them saying this: We researched whether students did better grouped with those who score similarly or among a more diverse skill set. We also looked into ways to start integrating math lessons into other subjects. In the end, we decided to do what the high school does and group students by grades/test scores. And we're working with a local university to coach our teachers so please don't freak out if you think your kid won't learn anything if placed in the dumb class.
The following 4 users liked this post by clckworang:
Bandoman (08-08-22), Kevin Phillips (08-06-22), Kurt D (08-05-22), Shamus McAnally (08-07-22)
Old 08-05-22, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 644 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
It sounds like the kids are doing shitty in math, so they're doing things to make it easier to pass them, and they're trying to hide it behind a bunch of corporatespeak.

At least they didn't use "synergy."
Josh, let's put a pin in that and circle back to it later.
LurkerDan (08-06-22)
Old 08-05-22, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Please don't delete it.
I just meant to delete it from the wrong area I originally posted it, and repost it here. A mod moved it for me, so it's all good now.
Old 08-05-22, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

<school's name> Math Program: Last spring the Middle School Math Department (Mr. <redacted> and Mr. <redacted>, Primary School Math Lead (Mrs. <redacted>, and I analyzed our trends in math achievement, expectations, and instruction Kindergarten through Grade 8.

We looked at a bunch of "data" (test scores, teacher evaluations, homework assignments) for every grade level.

We researched and discussed strategies to balance depth and mastery of understanding with student success given the range of student achievement. We also discussed cross curricular approaches to incorporating math standards in both science and social studies and the benefits/costs of heterogeneous and homogeneous (leveled) grouping in math.

We think we are asking too much of our students. Scores are bad. We think math is so important, it shouldn't just be it's own class, your kid should be thinking about numbers all day. We hope that will improve these scores that are tied to funding our classrooms.

"heterogeneous grouping" = normal classes with kids of mixed math scores

"homogeneous grouping" = splitting kids up based on the DATA aka standardized test scores that are taken every quarter

​​​​​​ As a result, the committee deconstructed the math standards to align vertically both internally (<school's name> and externally (high schools) and agreed to return to homogeneous grouping in the Middle School at this time.

We looked at how we are making teachers teach this stuff to make sure things line up between grade levels and classes at the school, as well as with what kids need to know going into high school. We decided to go with the leveled Math classes.

To assist us in deepening the foundation of our studentsí conceptual understanding of math, we will be partnering with <local university name> practitioners to provide professional development and teacher coaching in the Primary School. Our facilitator, Ms. <redacted>, will use literacy to lead our teachers through standards-based math instruction and Dr. <redacted> will provide teacher coaching and collaborative discussions.

Admin blames poor scores on us teachers, so they will be putting us through hours upon hours of unnecessary nitpicking and torture until the scores are high enough to please the district overlords. We will also be trying to put Math into English class.

Source: retired from teaching elementary school at age 31

The following 5 users liked this post by DaveWadding:
Ash Ketchum (08-07-22), Cellar Door (08-07-22), Kevin Phillips (08-06-22), LurkerDan (08-06-22), Shamus McAnally (08-07-22)
Old 08-05-22, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 897 Likes on 588 Posts

My interpretation: When I see rubbish prose like that, I always assume that Mr Redacted and his pals are creating a smokescreen to cover their own incompetence.
OldDude (08-06-22)
Old 08-05-22, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 515 Likes on 394 Posts

Old 08-05-22, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 569 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
My interpretation: When I see rubbish prose like that, I always assume that Mr Redacted and his pals are creating a smokescreen to cover their own incompetence.
Absolutely.

DaveWadding's de-bullshit-o-meter seems to indicate that's exactly the case here. I feel sorry for the kids, AND the teachers. The Admins, as the bean counters, rule the roost over all, and are incompetant, as always... Slippery slope ... pushing the ball of Sisyphus futilely, forevermore.
Old 08-06-22, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 644 Likes on 500 Posts

It's a Temporary Refund Adjustment.
Old 08-06-22, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 798 Likes on 578 Posts

I would probably go to the school and talk to someone face-to-face for clarification. I'm sure you're not the only parent that is baffled.
Old 08-06-22, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 688 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
I would probably go to the school and talk to someone face-to-face for clarification. I'm sure you're not the only parent that is baffled.
I would go to the school board meeting and very publicly ask for clarification.
Old 08-06-22, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is a private school. My son is starting the 7th grade this fall, and has been going to this school since pre-K. My wife doesn't want him going to public schools, which I think is unjustified because our local public schools rank well (but are running at full capacity and may even be overcrowded). Anyway, this private school is (was?) pretty highly regarded, but my wife has become disillusioned with them the last year or two.

Last edited by Kevin Phillips; 08-06-22 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-06-22, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 590 Likes on 342 Posts

None of that will be optimal if they don't utilize synergy to quantify their paradigm.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mrs. Danger:
Bandoman (08-08-22), LurkerDan (08-06-22)
Old 08-06-22, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 220 Likes on 186 Posts

Here's my version:

The way we've been teaching math is not working and causing a major reduction in math scores on standardized tests. The "Experts" don't know what they're talking about by grouping students of differing ability so we're going back to how it *should* be done with "targeted" classes based on your student's grade and test scores at the Jr High and High school levels. We're also putting math back into classes from which it was removed in efforts to make those classes easier. That was a mistake. We found kids learn better when grouped with others of similar skills (we really knew this all along but were going with the current forced trend of not making kids/parents feel "bad" if their kid wasn't in the "top" class). Your kid may wind up in the "dumb" class because they don't "get it" but don't be alarmed as we're also unnecessarily "retraining" our teaching staff to better address these issues while directing the elementary staff to "teach the test" to produce better test results (which will also fail because it's a main part of "no child left behind" that's been proven to produce people who graduate HS lacking relevant skills).

This is from directly observing K-12 classrooms in my duties as an IT technician/network admin and talking with teachers about how they feel things are going in their classroom.
Shamus McAnally (08-07-22)
Old 08-06-22, 12:49 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 260 Likes on 166 Posts

those who can't do, teach.
Old 08-06-22, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
Those who can't teach, say inane shit like this.
The following 8 users liked this post by DaveWadding:
AGuyNamedMike (08-08-22), Bandoman (08-08-22), Cellar Door (08-07-22), Dan (08-06-22), danwiz (08-07-22), LurkerDan (08-06-22), rbrown498 (08-06-22), Shamus McAnally (08-07-22) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-06-22, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 298 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
None of that will be optimal if they don't utilize synergy to quantify their paradigm.
Mrs. Danger knows what's up.

Seriously, I think you have your translation already, but I think you should reply explaining that this isn't decipherable for most people and can they please use regular English to communicate (DaveWadding was able to).
Old 08-06-22, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 798 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
That is so ignorant, no matter who says it.
Old 08-06-22, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 298 Likes on 216 Posts

As someone who was an adjunct professor, I can tell you that teaching is fucking hard. And good teachers make it look easy, make it look like anyone can do it.

And good teachers of school age kids are goddam magicians.
The following 2 users liked this post by LurkerDan:
Abob Teff (08-07-22), Bandoman (08-08-22)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.