Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

"The Slap Heard Around The World" -- Will Smith assaults Chris Rock at the Academy Awards

Other Talk "Otterville"

"The Slap Heard Around The World" -- Will Smith assaults Chris Rock at the Academy Awards

Old 04-08-22, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 622 Likes on 385 Posts
Re: "The Slap Heard Around The World" -- Will Smith assaults Chris Rock at the Academy Awards

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
I would hope the DA would have better things to do with their limited resources. He isn't a threat to the public.
The Los Angeles DA is George Gascon. He wouldn't go forward with charges even if Smith was a threat to the public. I posted in another thread about the guy out here who stabbed 2 people who tried to stop him from stealing their car - and that guy didn't get charged. A slap? Not a chance.
Old 04-08-22, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 175 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: "The Slap Heard Around The World" -- Will Smith assaults Chris Rock at the Academy Awards

Originally Posted by bchbdaddy View Post
They are already planning the 10 year come back. He will be in some super cheesy Oscar bait flick the year it is up and will be nominated. He will win and get the biggest and loudest applause ever.
At the very least, he'll probably get to present Best Picture or one of the big awards.
Old 04-09-22, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 282 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
I would hope the DA would have better things to do with their limited resources. He isn't a threat to the public.
Unless he plans on making a sequel to After Earth
Old 04-09-22, 07:26 AM

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

An appropriate punishment IMO considering Rock didnít want to press charges. Smith committed assault, and now he is barred from the store for a decade.
Old 04-09-22, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 767 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post
Unless he plans on making a sequel to After Earth
Lock him up! Lock him up!
The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (04-09-22)
Old 04-09-22, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 161 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...aa5dee56334940

Will Smith banned from Oscars and Academy events for 10 years.
I'm shocked, stunned and happy all at once. I never thought the Academy would go this hard on Smith. I just hope they stick to it. Besides the slap, his voice was booming across the entire Dolby Theatre when he yelled to Rock to keep his wife's name out of his f___ing mouth. Not once, but twice.
Old 04-09-22, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 189 Likes on 146 Posts

I'm as bored with this story as I am with Will's seemingly same character he plays in every movie. He shouldn't have responded this way in a public event. Rock shouldn't have made the joke either, but it did not deserve that kind of response, and definitely not at that time.
Old 04-09-22, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Shouldn't Adrien Brody have been banned for attacking Halle Berry during the telecast?
Old 04-09-22, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by windom View Post
Shouldn't Adrien Brody have been banned for attacking Halle Berry during the telecast?
We're 19yrs removed from that, but it absolutely would be treated the same today. Culture changes, but we can't just continually alter the past... the Oscars are for their professional work, not for being a good person.
Old 04-10-22, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 268 Likes on 196 Posts

Anyone else getting this AD (I screenshot it) when browsing YouTube?

What a f--ked up ad to advertise a shit site.
Old 04-10-22, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
No and I've been on YT almost all afternoon (one movie and many videos). Looks like something was faked to get another site in trouble.
Old 04-10-22, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 237 Likes on 158 Posts

Install uBlock Origin on your browser and never see a YouTube ad again…
The following users liked this post:
andicus (04-11-22)
Old 04-10-22, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 533 Likes on 319 Posts

Somebody at our local bookstore was having fun with the recent displays, I see.
Old 04-10-22, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by windom View Post
Originally Posted by Artman View Post
We're 19yrs removed from that, but it absolutely would be treated the same today. Culture changes, but we can't just continually alter the past... the Oscars are for their professional work, not for being a good person.
Really? I completely disagree. If he had done the same thing today, there would be a huge outrage, especially on Twitter. People would be saying he didn't get her consent, would be calling it a sexual assault and calling out toxic masculinity.
Old 04-10-22, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts

There's actually a 20+ page long thread on this?

My take: Smith was in the wrong and should have approached Rock during a commercial break and just told him it didn't sit well with Jada, and that he would appreciate an apology. That being said, I don't think the man deserves to be 100% cancelled and I don't see the 10 year ban actually lasting.
Old 04-10-22, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,238 Likes on 2,161 Posts

I promise you the ten year ban lasts. Not that it matters much but you won't see him at the Oscars for ten years at least. If he gets another nomination before then (which isn't that likely anyway) he won't be there.
I fully expect Chris Rock to present the Best Actress Oscar next year if he doesn't host.
Old 04-10-22, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post

What a f--ked up ad to advertise a shit site.
I've seen this tactic used lots during the last couple years, where they have a picture of a beloved public figure with a caption like "Tragic end for Wayne Gretzky today". I never click on them, knowing it's a fake out. I've seen them so often, that when I first saw the great Norm MacDonald passed away, I rolled my eyes thinking it was another one of those ads again.
Old 04-10-22, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 268 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by T-bone22 View Post
Install uBlock Origin on your browser and never see a YouTube ad again…
Great suggestion.

On my mobile device I use the YoutTube app which I find convenient but I have to tolerate the ads which are not too obtrusive. That Ad I posted quite surprised me however.

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post
I never click on them, knowing it's a fake out.
Same, but in that particular ad I posted I was so intrigued to click to see what I would read. Did not find anything on Will Smith.
​​​​​​​
Old 04-10-22, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,390 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post
I've seen this tactic used lots during the last couple years, where they have a picture of a beloved public figure with a caption like "Tragic end for Wayne Gretzky today". I never click on them, knowing it's a fake out. I've seen them so often, that when I first saw the great Norm MacDonald passed away, I rolled my eyes thinking it was another one of those ads again.
There's also been a weird thing going on for a while on facebook where "allegations" against Mayim Bialik are being used to hawk CBD shit.

Old 04-12-22, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I keep seeing that Mayim thing but no way will I click it. It screams "clickbait"
Old 04-12-22, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 145 Likes on 106 Posts

I guess we're all assuming the Oscars will still be around/televised in 10 years. Let's admit it, the slap actually got people to realize there was an Oscars show.
Old 04-12-22, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 789 Likes on 567 Posts

Yeah, if the Oscars are still a big production broadcast on a major television network ten years from now I'll honestly be surprised.
Old 04-12-22, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 756 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Yeah, if the Oscars are still a big production broadcast on a major television network ten years from now I'll honestly be surprised.
That's possible. What's a lock is that we'll all still be here blathering.
Old 04-12-22, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 805 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
That's possible. What's a lock is that we'll all still be here blathering.
Don't count on it.
Old 04-12-22, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 756 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Don't count on it.
I have ten large riding on the notion. Don't fail me, DVD Talk!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.