Reload this Page >

The "What Have You Bought From Kickstarter?" Thread

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 01-20-22, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,906 Posts

I've been wanting to start a thread like this for a while. Rather than just starting a thread about an interesting Kickstarter, I was wondering if people could share things that they bought on Kickstarter -- both the good and bad experiences. I am always a little nervous buying an item that doesn't yet exist and not sure how it will turn out.
I have bought several things I have really liked. Most notably my Travel Jacket 2.0 from Baubax, which I love to travel with every time I fly. It's a little heavy and I just say they started a Kickstarter for a lighter-weight Travel Jacket 3.0. I might not actually need it, but I am signing up to get one any way. I really get a lot of use out of that.
I had far less success with Baubax's Travel Shoes and Travel Pants Kickstarters. Both those came back way too small for their given size. I tried to return both but that was right when Covid hit and they wouldn't take returns. About 18 months later, after the company was sold and restarted, I was finally able to get bigger sized shoes and pants and have to say I am very happy with the quality of both.

I've been waiting for this aptly-named long-spinning top called the Limbo for four years now. Never imagined I could have this long a wait on such a tiny and simple item, but allegedly it will be shipping in the next couple of weeks. We shall see.

I was also pretty happy with this overnight bag which is pretty well made and compact (though every time I use it my wife asks why don't I just use my rolling carry-on bag instead and frankly I don't have a great answer ).
Old 01-20-22, 03:35 PM

Re: The "What Have You Bought From Kickstarter?" Thread

And oh yeah, I have already gotten four years of use out of the Supply Single Edge 2.0 Stainless Steel razor. The guy who made it went on Shark Tank and now the razors are cheaper but no longer Stainless Steel, which is pretty disappointing. But mine should last a lifetime.
Old 01-20-22, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 154 Posts

A couple of board games. Tiny Epic Dinosaurs Deluxe Edition (fulfilled and was less than the retail version) and Everdell: The Ultimate Edition (not yet fulfilled - should ship in another couple of months). Both companies have a long and positive track record with Kickstarter stuff so I wasn't *that* concerned (but it does bother me to purchase something I may not have in my hands for a year or more).
Old 01-20-22, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 163 Likes on 128 Posts

Not Kickstarter, but Indiegogo (similar type of website)

I purchased the Singtrix Karaoke machine, as featured on Shark Tank.

I bought it in March 2019, with expected delivery in August 2019, and there were delivery delays. Thought I was getting scammed haha. Eventually, it shipped in October 2019.

Lots of fun times with the karaoke machine. Professional singers will hate it, but I just use it to have fun with family and friends. I had a karaoke NYE party a couple weeks ago and it's always a good time.

Normally I avoid these type of purchases on Kickstarter or Indiegogo and only went ahead with it due to their appearance on Shark Tank.

One thing I wasn't aware of on Indiegogo is discounted purchase levels. For example, I paid $249 for the karaoke machine on Day 1. However, I didn't realize if I was one of the first 100 purchasers on Day 1, I could have paid $229. Not a big deal, but the product page never mentioned these types of discounts. Just something to be aware of.
Old 01-20-22, 03:53 PM

Yeah, they have the same thing with Kickstarter. Super-Early Bird pricing. With the Baubax 3.0 jacket I got an email with "VIP Invite" which predates even Super-Early Bird ($10 cheaper, FWIW).
The following users liked this post:
MLBFan24 (01-20-22)
Old 01-20-22, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 312 Posts

I think the only Kickstarter I've done is the one for the Veronica Mars movie. I backed at the level that allowed me to get a poster, T-shirt and a Blu-ray copy of the movie.
Old 01-20-22, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

I did some Apple Watch bands. Because I was early and then they had delays, I got a pretty good handful of bands.

BTW, that travel jacket looks pretty good. I have a TNF soft shell I use for travel. Been looking for something else
Old 01-20-22, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 421 Likes on 288 Posts

A couple years ago I backed the restoration and release of Dennis Hopper’s Out Of The Blue. I still haven’t received my Blu-ray. I believe there’s a UK disc floating around. I’d pick that up but I already shelled out $50.
Old 01-20-22, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Toddarino View Post
A couple years ago I backed the restoration and release of Dennis Hopperís Out Of The Blue. I still havenít received my Blu-ray. I believe thereís a UK disc floating around. Iíd pick that up but I already shelled out $50.
That's a long time. Did you check the Updates section of the Kickstarter page? They should indicate if the discs shipped or not.
I see there was an update on the discs in October 2021, but can't see what it says as it's for backers only
Old 01-20-22, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino View Post
A couple years ago I backed the restoration and release of Dennis Hopperís Out Of The Blue. I still havenít received my Blu-ray. I believe thereís a UK disc floating around. Iíd pick that up but I already shelled out $50.
I found this article. It was restored and shown theatrically in November. The article says a U.S. release will be early 2022. I could have sworn I saw a release date for it but can't find it now.
Old 01-20-22, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,044 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
I think the only Kickstarter I've done is the one for the Veronica Mars movie. I backed at the level that allowed me to get a poster, T-shirt and a Blu-ray copy of the movie.
I did this one too. Still haven't seen the movie, though I have worn the shirt.

I backed the original Pebble smartwatch, then the Pebble Time. Despite the company being bought out a long time ago I still wear my Pebble Time, so I guess that worked out.

I backed a few videogames: Bloodstained, from the maker of Castlevania, and the Wonderful 101: Remastered for Switch. Both were predictably available in almost the same versions for much much cheaper shortly after release. Somehow I resisted backing Mighty Number 9, though.

I backed McFarlane's Spawn remastered toy. A few comics including Jeff Smith's Tuki, which is half out now. The Haslab Marvel Legends Sentinel and Galactus (sometimes I regret not backing Unicron but there's just no room)

But the biggest rabbithole I've found myself going down is board games. C'mon especially, with their hundreds of miniatures and FOMA. I'm on the hook for Marvel United: X-men and Masters of the Universe, and I'm trying to convince myself not to fall down the Marvel Zombicide hole.
Old 01-20-22, 05:23 PM
Premium Member

Received 300 Likes on 210 Posts

Not Kickstarter, but I funded those "Tile" locator things when they were a startup. That worked out fine for me.

I think I've done it for some DVDs as well, but I can't recall what they were.
Old 01-20-22, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 421 Likes on 288 Posts

I guess the holdup is because it had to have it’s limited theatrical release first and covid kept pushing that back. Severin is releasing it in the states, which knowing their track record will delay it further. I mostly annoyed it’s available to purchase before the backers even got theirs.
Old 01-20-22, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,044 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
Not Kickstarter, but I funded those "Tile" locator things when they were a startup. That worked out fine for me.

I think I've done it for some DVDs as well, but I can't recall what they were.
Oh, was Tile on some non Kickstarter site? I thought I backed them but couldn't find them in my kickstarter history or anything, but that would explain it.
Old 01-20-22, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 915 Likes on 591 Posts

I stayed away from crowdfunding for yeeeeeears, but I've dipped my toes back in a little bit recently.

On Indiegogo, I backed a Middleman comic and an animated short way back in 2013, and I also backed Save Stereogum in June '20.

I've backed 14 things on Kickstarter that've been fully funded: most recently a compilation of Kaiju Ramen, as well as the Faking Filmation documentary last year. But before that, I'd have to go all the way back to 2015. Mostly it's been backing things that friends or friends-of-friends have been involved in, from action figures to short films to albums. I've also backed a couple of musical instruments (a chiptune synthesizer and a sunglass-shaped guitar), the Bubblegum Crisis Blu-ray set, and, yeah, the Veronica Mars movie.

I haven't successfully backed any board games or video games, but I did pledge to a few that never made it.
Old 01-20-22, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
sunglass-shaped guitar
Pics or it didn't happen.
Old 01-20-22, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 701 Likes on 574 Posts

A few video game related items.

Flip Grip for Nintendo Switch. Itís an item for Switch that lets you mount the screen/console vertically for some games while in handheld mode.

Ultimate Nintendo: Guide to the SNES Library. I listen to the podcast by the guy who wrote the book (Pat Contri). I also have the first book (Ultimate Nintendo: Guide to the NES Library), but didnít get it through Kickstarter.

The Warp Coin Catastrophe (GameBoy game). I heard about this somehow and pledged. Not really my thing and I should have looked into it more, but I do have it.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-20-22 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-20-22, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 915 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Pics or it didn't happen.

It's designed to be customized with whatever art you want, and I obviously Scott Pilgrim-med this one up.

This was the first model of guitar from Rob O'Reilly; he's now big into MIDI guitars/basses.
Old 01-20-22, 07:32 PM

Excellent. That Midi guitar on the website is cool AF.
Old 01-20-22, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 187 Likes on 143 Posts

I backed the last few 3D Film Archive projects, my name is in the credits. I'll back any efforts to make a new 3D display also.
The following users liked this post:
Adam Tyner (01-20-22)
Old 01-20-22, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 473 Likes on 379 Posts

Nothing at all, for everything I've ever looked at from Kickstarter has been overhyped, overexpensive, and of dubious or very poor quality. Also, putting and trusting your money upfront, without promise of actually receiving a product -- and possibly being swindled are very real possibilities and using very poor judgment and sense.
Old 01-20-22, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 190 Likes on 134 Posts

Only booked 1 Kickstarter and it's actually on the way now. Can't wait to read

Old 01-21-22, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 486 Likes on 349 Posts

No I haven't funded anything.

This certainly looks.....interesting...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...overy_category

Old 01-21-22, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 245 Likes on 152 Posts

Iíve backed almost 50 projects in the last decade. Mostly board games and card games, some books, kitchen stuff (Misen is awesome).

Iíve only been burned twice. Once for $10 (which was a scam) and it nice for $250 (which may or may not be fulfilled).

There are some creators I trust and have backed several projects of theirs.

Oh, and one of them was the Flipgrip. 😉
Old 01-21-22, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 601 Likes on 485 Posts

I did the Anova Sous Vide via Kickstarter, and more recently the Flipper Zero.

That's about it though.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.