Other Talk "Otterville"

The "What Have You Bought From Kickstarter?" Thread

Old 01-21-22, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 252 Likes on 182 Posts
Re: The "What Have You Bought From Kickstarter?" Thread

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 View Post
Iíve backed almost 50 projects in the last decade. Mostly board games and card games, some books, kitchen stuff (Misen is awesome).

Iíve only been burned twice. Once for $10 (which was a scam) and it nice for $250 (which may or may not be fulfilled).

There are some creators I trust and have backed several projects of theirs.

Oh, and one of them was the Flipgrip. 😉
I just checked over mine, I've only been burned once, but only for $1. Another Kickstarter took something like 6 years and a few of the stretch goals were missing, but at that point I was just surprised to get anything at all.
Old 01-21-22, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,044 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I did the Anova Sous Vide via Kickstarter, and more recently the Flipper Zero.

That's about it though.
I have that sous vide and I had no idea it started as a kickstarter. So thanks for backing it!

Old 01-21-22, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 879 Likes on 666 Posts

Iíve done the MST3K one twice and then I did some tokens based on classic art for Magic: The Gathering.
The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (01-21-22)
Old 01-21-22, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 245 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
I just checked over mine, I've only been burned once, but only for $1. Another Kickstarter took something like 6 years and a few of the stretch goals were missing, but at that point I was just surprised to get anything at all.
My big one (the $250) was for book anthology that hit a snag when the pandemic hit, supply chains went awry, shipping prices jumped, and the paper shortage hit. Hopefully they'll be delivered... one day.
majorjoe23 (01-21-22)
Old 01-21-22, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

I bought a couple of these throws from Don Moyer.

Old 01-21-22, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Way too many things....
254 projects over 10 years.
80% of those are board games or game related.
Most of the rest are comics.
My most local one was to help a local improv club survive and move.

The best experiences in terms of getting what was promised in a reasonably timely fashion, not surprisingly, from the experienced businesses and creators. CMON, Slugfest, AEG, Roxley, Chip Theory, etc. Ron Randall (TREKKER), Dave Willis (Dumbing of Age), Karl Kesel (Impossible Jones) have been very good experiences.

Oldest unfulfilled/overdue/not expecting at this point is for some stupid small card game, estimated delivery 2015, last update 2.5 years ago. Nothing released.
Biggest unfulfilled/overdue/not expecting at this point is Scott Kurtz's PVP hardcover collection. Estimated delivery 2019, last update Sept 2020. Nothing released.
Freezepop is still working on their physical triple disc release (ETA 2017). They have released a bunch of stuff digitally though so that's good.
Biggest debacle, 12 Realms Bedtime Story. Incomplete games, not fully fulfilled, unplayable. Multiple communications, multiple misrepresentations.
Second biggest, Fairytale Games. I at least got the base game and the minis, so many didn't get anything. (The game sucks btw).
I've gotten a lot of 'not very good' stuff, especially early on, but I did receive what was promised in a reasonably timely fashion. It just wasn't very good, or I didn't like it (some I will absolutely say is "good", ie, well designed, but just not "fun" for me personally.)

3 outstanding projects that I'll likely never see; 2 more that are really iffy; another 30 or so that are in progress and I expect to fulfill, anywhere from "KS just ended" to "stuff has arrived in the USA to be parceled out":

Best "deals" in terms of value, and KS vs Retail/aftermarket (and excluding KS-exclusive/FOMO stuff) - the Too Many Bones Trove Chest; Middara Act 1; Nemesis board game.

Things I've liked the most - some of the games, Trekker and Dumbing of Age comics.

If I could go back and "undo" some of the previous projects, I would probably "undo" maybe a quarter of them. Either because the project was so poorly run or I never got what was promised, or it wasn't very good, or I just end up not using/playing/liking it very much for other reasons.

I considered getting the "Author Clock" but ended up deciding not to. Although an enterprising programmer could make an Alexa skill to do the same or something similar and I would probably buy or sub to that, at least for a while.

And since there are so many "professionals" using KS, at least in the Gaming and Comics categories, KS needs to STFU with "KS is not a store". It is absolutely being treated by many as a storefront, without many of the obligations and responsibilities thereof. I know there's still a lot of individual artists and creators doing stuff on KS which is great.

Old 01-21-22, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 272 Likes on 190 Posts

I bought a welder on Kickstarter, the Yeswelder Firstess MP200. Plenty of great reviews on the preview samples sent to Youtubers. According to shipping updates mine is literally on a slow boat from China.
Old 01-21-22, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,909 Likes on 1,911 Posts

Yeah, I have learned more about the difficulties of manufacturing products in China through Kickstarter than I had ever thought possible.

Old 01-21-22, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 272 Likes on 190 Posts

In this specific case I feel confident, since it's an established manufacturer (Yeswelder) and they already proved they could make the specified product by shipping out dozens of preview units. But yeah, it's pretty wild west over there. I like the YT channel Strange Parts for the insight into how some prototyping and manufacturing gets done in China.
Old 01-21-22, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 138 Likes on 75 Posts

US Festival Documentary Blu-Ray
X Live In Latin America for which I won this!
Two Albums from Peter Case (Former leader of The Plimsouls)
and
A deck of cards from one of my favorite magicians!

Old 01-21-22, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 670 Likes on 472 Posts

A good friend of mine co-wrote/co-edited a comic book that they funded through Kickstarter, and I supported that. I think that's been it for me.
story (01-21-22)
Old 01-21-22, 01:20 PM

Received 903 Likes on 524 Posts

I missed the HasLabs crowdfunding for HeroQuest by one day and they would not budge. I picked it up at retail for Christmas, but I was bummed.

I am pretty sure I've only done two Kickstarters: some of the Rifftrax / MST3K events in which I almost always forget to claim my digital awards.

I backed a Kickstarter for Spencer LaJoye. They are a trans young adult musician and their original song, "A Plowshare Prayer" made the rounds last spring, it's a beautiful tearjerker. I backed their EP release last fall. I don't know if you need a Facebook account to see the video of the song, but here's a link: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=108817264611296
Old 01-21-22, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 440 Likes on 313 Posts

I bought into:

Kickstarter:
Sharkpups (plush animals)
Romeo's Chocolate (brick and mortar opening for fancy ass chocolate)
Art of Jeff Victor: Adorkable (art book)
Art of Loish (art book)

Indiegogo:
By D Grace of God (photo book)
Old 01-21-22, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 620 Likes on 440 Posts

Kickstarter:

Creality CR6 SE 3D printer - Considering Creality is a huge company, this was a pretty safe bet. There were minor issues but they were fixed. It certainly kept me busy during the pandemic.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...3d-printer-kit

"The Book: The Ultimate Guide To Rebuilding A Civilization.", by Timur. Delays because of pandemic, should be shipped in the spring.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ook/the-book-0

Indiegogo:

"Feiyu Pocket 2S: The Ultimate 3-Axis Gimbal Camera". This has shipped and tracking shows I should get it soon.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/f...imbal-camera#/

Old 01-21-22, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Backed an Artbook/Custom Commission almost a year and a half ago and still nothing. No updates since last fall.

So yeah, unless it's someone I know, I done backing these types of projects.
Old 01-21-22, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 486 Likes on 349 Posts

I did the Anova Sous Vide via Kickstarter, and more recently the Flipper Zero.

That's about it though.
I do have an Anova sous vide but I didn't buy it through kickstarter.

That flipper zero is so out of my wheelhouse that looks crazy. Seems like you can do all sorts of crazy stuff with that thing.
RichC2 (01-22-22)
Old 01-22-22, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 601 Likes on 485 Posts

Haha yeah I look forward to messing with the Flipper from a security analyst prespective, I'm too old for any actual fun uses. ... I think

Old 01-22-22, 12:29 AM

I guess I am too old. I am still confused as to exactly what the Flipper does. It seems to be a hacking tool of some sort.
emanon (01-22-22)
Old 01-22-22, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 472 Likes on 392 Posts

Iíve backed about a dozen comics projects in KS/indiegogo/IFundWomen and been burned three times. Two are from the same publisher who every six months or so reports ďprogressĒ (this is a few years overdue), but did provide PDFs, so thatís something at least. The one that just disappeared was a Mike Grell project, which was disappointing. The person who ran the subsequent Grell project said heíd send my item but never did. At least it was only a single trade so not too expensive, I think/hope.
Old 01-22-22, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I guess I am too old. I am still confused as to exactly what the Flipper does. It seems to be a hacking tool of some sort.
Pretty much. Just a hacking tool with a ton of radios inside of it that allows for the pulling and replaying of a slew of IR/RF signals while also being able to interface with devices without raising alarms (it registers as a keyboard).

Great tool for physical security audits and social engineering tasks which I occasionally do at work.

Also a terribly convenient way for shit heads to copy some hotel keys, some RFID badges and uhm, other financially related things. Oh and change TV channels like those $10 watches from the 90s.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-22-22 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-22-22, 07:45 PM

Can it be used for nefarious purposes like stealing cars with keyless entry fobs or opening other people's garage doors?

Also what are " physical security audits and social engineering tasks"?
Old 01-23-22, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It depends on the vehicle, most have long since implemented security to avoid what's known as a Replay attack but apparently Honda isn't on board yet: https://hackaday.com/2021/08/30/hack...replay-attack/

Garage door openers pre-1994 are extremely susceptible to these things (the dip switch era), current ones are not.

Physical Security Audits = Ensuring required security policies and procedures are in place and being followed in accordance with whatever standards the company is held to (ie: NIST, ISO, PCI)

Social Engineering tasks = Using weakness in employee training to break into places, ie: Getting information over the phone, pretending to be UPS or a contractor, dropping off USB devices with autorun scripting tools on them, breaking into secure areas, gaining physical access to secure devices.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-23-22 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-23-22, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 132 Likes on 95 Posts

I've done 3 so far:
Heavy Rotation - Indie College Rock comic
The Unseen Jack Katz
A documentary on Hellboy creator Mike Mignola
Old 01-24-22, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 486 Likes on 349 Posts

It depends on the vehicle, most have long since implemented security to avoid what's known as a Replay attack but apparently Honda isn't on board yet: https://hackaday.com/2021/08/30/hack...replay-attack/

Garage door openers pre-1994 are extremely susceptible to these things (the dip switch era), current ones are not.

Physical Security Audits = Ensuring required security policies and procedures are in place and being followed in accordance with whatever standards the company is held to (ie: NIST, ISO, PCI)

Social Engineering tasks = Using weakness in employee training to break into places, ie: Getting information over the phone, pretending to be UPS or a contractor, dropping off USB devices with autorun scripting tools on them, breaking into secure areas, gaining physical access to secure devices.
Uh...can I have your job? That sounds like fun.

That sucks about Hondas. But honestly I might rather them hack into my car that way instead of them busting the window just to get a bag or something stupid like that out of the car. But police can't even really do anything about common low level thieves like that let alone people who hack without leaving any kind of marks. It feels like we're getting closer and closer to a society where nobody can do anything about low level crime and people just will just get away with it.