Reload this Page >

Geeek Squad - Phishing/scammer Email

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 01-18-22, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

I received this phishing phone scam email today. A renewal for a spanky $300 firewall! From Geeek Squad. Not from Geek Squad. Gah damn a software firewall.

Old 01-19-22, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 145 Posts
Re: Geeek Squad - Phishing/scammer Email

I got a fairly convincing one today, at first glance the email comes from '[email protected]' but when I looked closer it's from [email protected], and 'she' changed her display name to quickbooks. I bet a few people fall for this and give out some kind of sensitive info or credit card info in an effort to not be charged $447.96

The following users liked this post:
Sonic (01-19-22)
Old 01-19-22, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

^
Thanks for sharing! Perhaps a few people out there will search google and run across this thread and keep them alert.

The scamming email from my first post is from:
Geek Sales <[email protected]>
Notice this time around they didn't put the extra "e" to make it look authentic to the real company name "Geek Squad". Also xdawar...wtf is that.

I feel sorry for people that fall for this. It must hurt to lose a whopping amount of money set by these scam traps.
danwiz (01-20-22)
Old 01-20-22, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

I've been receiving imessages notifying me that "YOU and 1 other have won a 55" Samsung TV, click here [bitly address] to claim." Needless to say, I am not dumb enough to even click, but wonder if they're asking for information or waiting to give me a trojan or something.
Old 01-20-22, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 158 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by danwiz View Post
I've been receiving imessages notifying me that "YOU and 1 other have won a 55" Samsung TV, click here [bitly address] to claim." Needless to say, I am not dumb enough to even click, but wonder if they're asking for information or waiting to give me a trojan or something.
This is too weird - it turns out that I must be the one other! What are the odds?!?
danwiz (01-21-22)