DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   Would you expect to be fired after receiving this card on your desk? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/654616-would-you-expect-fired-after-receiving-card-your-desk.html)

Alan Smithee 01-15-22 11:38 PM

Would you expect to be fired after receiving this card on your desk?

https://i.imgur.com/YLJHjdO.jpg

This was from two years ago- I'm sure I'll eventually tell the whole story here, but just for the time being I want to ask if you received this card, would you think you were in any danger of being fired that month?

(I tacked the card up and took this picture because I had been afraid of being fired, and in the event I was I wanted some record of this card.)

Sonic 01-15-22 11:51 PM

Re: Would you expect to be fired after receiving this card on your desk?

"Thank you for your perseverance and positive attitude. We are happy to have you part of our team."

Thank you, xxxxxxxx
So if that card is not acknowledging your appreciation of being an employee there, then how would you word a REAL thank you card showing authentic gesture to you?

Would be the ultimate insult to receive that card and find out later you getting fired. :lol: Please tell me that was not such the case?

The Cow 01-15-22 11:52 PM

Depending on why I had already been afraid of being fired, then yes, quite possibly.

MLBFan24 01-15-22 11:53 PM

No, I would not have that expectation.

If my computer login credentials didn’t work and had an unexpected meeting with HR, that’s when I would expect to be fired. Fortunately, that’s never happened.

William Fuld 01-16-22 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee (Post 14041336)
https://i.imgur.com/YLJHjdO.jpg

I'm sure I'll eventually tell the whole story here

It better be good.

Alan Smithee 01-16-22 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Sonic (Post 14041340)
Would be the ultimate insult to receive that card and find out later you getting fired. :lol: Please tell me that was not such the case?

Yes, it was the case. Again, this was about two years ago but is one of those things I can't get out of my head. I was going to post about this here a while ago but kept having technical problems getting the picture to show, which I obviously doctored to remove any names. (And you'll LOVE this- it may be that my original filename had an obscene word in it, and that's what kept the picture from appearing!)

So when I received this card, I was pretty much expecting that I would be fired but after getting the card I thought to myself "maybe I'm just being paranoid." I tend to do that. But sure enough, within two weeks I was called in and told I was being let go. It wasn't by the person who had written this card, but that person was present. While I was civil, I did remark about the card on the way out and how it apparently didn't really mean anything. Friends I've shown it to have said that this is a perfect example of corporate bullshit- just toying with your perceived status for the fun of it.

Sonic 01-16-22 12:54 AM

Not funny at all. :( Wow I'm quite surprised they fired you after receiving such a card. What a fucked up two face employer. :mad: A true insult. I'm sorry you had to go through that but thinking it over I think it was for the best? Because who knows what down the line that job could have caused you later on, probably bigger pains and headaches. I would take the firing as a blessing.

Jaymole 01-16-22 04:36 AM

Was the crossed off greeting "Dear Slacker"?

Maybe you just worked for a very sarcastic company.

JAA 01-16-22 05:39 AM

That card was from two years ago. A lot can happen between now and then. In fact, I've seen circumstances change in a matter of months (not years). -wink-

Deadman31 01-16-22 06:36 AM

You really dont throw anything out.

BrewCrew 01-16-22 08:15 AM

Of course wouldn't expect to be fired. If you are on a performance improvement plan or errors are documented and put in your file I would expect a firing. Serves no purpose to tell you what a great, positive employee you are and then fire a couple of weeks later. Unless you had a major screw up or told the boss to fuck off during those two weeks that company is messed up.

Max Bottomtime 01-16-22 08:30 AM

I think the card was really a show of appreciation. Perhaps it was something you did during the next two weeks that got you fired. Maybe you left the card on the floor next to your desk in a pile of soda cans.

Mike86 01-16-22 08:40 AM

Well, why were you afraid of being fired? That seems a little odd that you would feel the need to have to keep up a card like that out of fear of losing your job.

morriscroy 01-16-22 08:43 AM

In a large enough workplace, the HR (human resources) department may very well be making hiring / firing decisions completely independent of the group/division bosses.

Basically the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Nick Danger 01-16-22 08:49 AM

My reaction would be "The bosses want me to continue working extra hard, but they don't want to give me a pay raise. So they're giving me a $2 appreciation card. It's even cheaper than a pizza party in the break room."

Jason 01-16-22 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger (Post 14041421)
My reaction would be "The bosses want me to continue working extra hard, but they don't want to give me a pay raise. So they're giving me a $2 appreciation card. It's even cheaper than a pizza party in the break room."

Yep. It's one of those "motivational" ideas that managers hear about in those overpriced "leadership" seminars they're always attending.

At least we got pins. Nice ones, actually, and if I ever had to wear a suit I'd definitely use it, but when I went to buy a new car they wouldn't accept it as a down payment.

emanon 01-16-22 09:18 AM

Those that I support, as well as their direct superiors, realize that my efforts often keep things running for them.

My own bosses boss, however, has stated that he's "not exactly sure what it is [I] do around here." In a team meeting, no less. So yeah, I could totally see getting fired shortly after receiving a note like that.

jfoobar 01-16-22 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 (Post 14041342)
No, I would not have that expectation.

If my computer login credentials didn’t work and had an unexpected meeting with HR, that’s when I would expect to be fired. Fortunately, that’s never happened.

Pretty much where I am at also.

GoldenJCJ 01-16-22 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by morriscroy (Post 14041419)
In a large enough workplace, the HR (human resources) department may very well be making hiring / firing decisions completely independent of the group/division bosses.

Basically the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Yep. My work offers a ton of those little (ultimately) useless motivational rewards. That doesn’t mean I also wouldn’t be surprised if they had a file on me somewhere documenting all my fuck-ups. Those “we appreciate you” cards are mostly hollow bullshit handed out to keep office morale up. I wouldn’t put much stock into receiving one of them at all.

I’d also be curious how many other people in the office received as Thank You note as well. There have been times I’ve walked into my office and seen little tokens of appreciation on everyone’s desk. Nice to know that management is at least trying to help with morale but overall a meaningless gesture.

cultshock 01-16-22 11:26 AM

How about you fill in all the missing pieces of the story? Why were you "expecting" to be let go, and what reason was finally given for them doing so two weeks later? Maybe you don't want to share that info, but you're the one who started the goddamn thread. :lol:

Why So Blu? 01-16-22 12:43 PM

Yeah, something happened within those two weeks between getting the note and the postcard.

The Cow 01-16-22 12:54 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...5e0026aff9.jpg

fujishig 01-16-22 01:34 PM

What was the reason they gave for you being fired (I don't remember what state you work in or if it's an at-will state but even then they have to have some reason given for firing you if they don't want to be sued, even if it is a bs one).

But yeah, you can even have a stellar, official annual review and be fired in a couple of weeks for any number of reasons. How many people got this card?

GoldenJCJ 01-16-22 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by cultshock (Post 14041490)
How about you fill in all the missing pieces of the story? Why were you "expecting" to be let go, and what reason was finally given for them doing so two weeks later? Maybe you don't want to share that info, but you're the one who started the goddamn thread. :lol:

It seems Alan was hoping for a whole thread filled with, “Why yes, that is unusual. You were obviously the most valued member of your company. How could it be possible that you were let go just 2 weeks later?! You’re right for holding a grudge for 2 years!” replies.

Also, who the hell keeps a thank you card from your job for 2 years?! Oh, right….
If that we’re me, that card would have been in the trash the second I finished reading it.

clckworang 01-16-22 01:48 PM

If all we're given is this one card to base things on, then I wouldn't assume the person lost this job just a couple weeks later, but one card doesn't really tell the full story about one's performance and place in a company. This is a hollow card, likely given to everyone. This isn't a formal performance evaluation or promise of employment.

Also, if I already feared for my job, this card would in no way alleviate that feeling.