Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Taco Bell monthly food subscription service

Other Talk "Otterville"
View Poll Results: Do you have any interest in monthly food subscription services?
Sure
0%
Maybe depends on the place and prices
32.26%
Uhhh No
67.74%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-22, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,654 Likes on 1,213 Posts

https://www.eater.com/2022/1/6/22870...national-debut

$10 for 1 taco per day for a month

Starting this week, people who love Taco Bell enough to have the fast food chain’s logo tattooed on their bodies will be able to show their dedication in a whole new way: by signing up for a subscription service that entitles the subscriber to one taco per day for 30 days for just $10 per month.

Called the Taco Lover’s Pass, the subscription, initially launched in Arizona, is managed through the Taco Bell app. After signing up, the user can order from a menu of different taco options, including the classic crunchy taco, the spicy potato soft taco, and Doritos Locos tacos. I’m no mathematician, but if the user actually redeems their daily taco, each one costs around 30 cents, a steal at a time when food prices are skyrocketing.

So are you in favor of more monthly food subscription services? I know Panera bread has a monthly service.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-06-22 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-06-22, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
Re: Taco Bell monthly food subscription service

My bowels vote "no"
The following 2 users liked this post by rexinnih:
Kurt D (01-06-22), Max Bottomtime (01-06-22)
Old 01-06-22, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Here's what I posted in the Fast Food thread when this was shared:

Received the notification in the app today about this. Under more ideal circumstances, I might give thought to this. My local place is sometimes closed for dine-in because of staffing issues and the drive-thru isn't always fast these days.

It's not a bad deal. The doritos taco is around $2, I think. If you were already there and going to order one of those, the subscription is basically $8 for the month.

My wife has been getting the local monthly subscription from Circle K. I think it's $7 for a fountain drink every day. But it's much easier to redeem by going in for a drink especially with locations being more plentiful.

So I voted maybe in the poll.
Old 01-06-22, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 599 Likes on 483 Posts

I love taco bell, I don't want to drive to one every day though.

Now if it were delivery ...

Still, for $10 it isn't a bad deal.
Old 01-07-22, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 70 Posts

I have commitment issues. No subscription services for me. I prefer reordering over and over "one time only". I don't like automatic anything. I won't do automatic bill pay either. I don't like relinquishing control.
The following users liked this post:
BobO'Link (01-07-22)
Old 01-07-22, 05:40 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 187 Likes on 133 Posts

No thanks.

Taco Bell is just another fast food place to me, we don't do fast food very often these days in favor of real nutritious food (which most fast food isn't). We have a favorite Mexican restaurant we like to visit a couple of times a month, it isn't cheap like Taco Bell, but it's real Mexican food done by Mexicans and it tastes great. Taco Bell's burritos look like slop rolled up in a tortilla compared to a real burrito.

The idea of committing to eating a Taco Bell taco every day for a month makes me cringe.

Last edited by kd5; 01-07-22 at 05:47 AM.
BobO'Link (01-07-22)
Old 01-07-22, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 158 Likes on 109 Posts

Taco Bell is the closest food option to me for lunch while at work, so it's not unusual for me to end up there a couple of times a week. Still, I'm typically content with what's in the $5 box offering, and I also earn rewards (every $25) pretty quick for those occasions I feel I need to supplement what's in the box. So no, I probably won't participate.
Old 01-07-22, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 154 Posts

No. Not even if my office was "next door" to one. It's not worth the hassle, plus I don't own a "smart phone" and, even if I did, wouldn't load their app just for the privilege of paying a monthly fee for a "free" taco per day.
Old 01-07-22, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,029 Likes on 797 Posts

Yeah, you'd have to go at least five times a month to break even. So if you work or live right next to a taco bell and/or go regularly, this is probably a steal (especially if they let you have multiple ones so you're not just going for one taco every time). If not, then not so much.

I live right next to a McDonalds which the kids love, and if they had some kind of deal for fries or something I might be tempted (though it would kill me).
Old 01-07-22, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

I would consider it depending on the price and convenience of the restaurant. 10 bucks is reasonable for what you get from it. Of course they want/expect you to buy more at least some of the time. Some months I do not get my money's worth from AMC A-list but I stay subbed to that (and you could argue I'm spending more with it because I always get popcorn and a drink, which of course is what they want.)
I like TB but don't generally go there 5 times a month, so this one in particular is only somewhat tempting. I'm also still WFH so I eat out for lunch much less than I used to.
I don't know if I'm 'in favor' of these in general but I appreciate and understand brands trying new things to increase sales and loyalty.

Old 01-07-22, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 351 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
No thanks.

Taco Bell is just another fast food place to me, we don't do fast food very often these days in favor of real nutritious food (which most fast food isn't). We have a favorite Mexican restaurant we like to visit a couple of times a month, it isn't cheap like Taco Bell, but it's real Mexican food done by Mexicans and it tastes great. Taco Bell's burritos look like slop rolled up in a tortilla compared to a real burrito.

The idea of committing to eating a Taco Bell taco every day for a month makes me cringe.
Lol.
Old 01-07-22, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,871 Likes on 1,886 Posts

I eat a bagel with cream cheese at Einstein's Bagels at least once every week. If they did this for $15/mo (their bagel with cream cheese is about $3.25) I would take advantage of it. But for Taco Bell (or any other "fast food" chain) ? No thank you.
maxfisher (01-16-22)
Old 01-07-22, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 520 Likes on 298 Posts

They're just working their way to a Columbia House style subscription.
Kurt D (01-07-22)
Old 01-07-22, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 154 Posts

So you're saying they'll soon be billing you for a "meal" every day unless you check the "decline" box on time?
The following 4 users liked this post by BobO'Link:
Kurt D (01-07-22), Obi-Wanma (01-07-22), PhantomStranger (01-07-22), story (01-07-22)
Old 01-07-22, 10:18 AM
Premium Member

Received 627 Likes on 479 Posts

Will this ever happen during the Olive Garden All You Can Eat Pasta Pass?
Old 01-07-22, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 145 Posts

even if it did not require a tattoo I would not be interested in this.
Old 01-07-22, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,510 Likes on 984 Posts

I guess itís a decent deal but Iíd be embarrassed to have the Taco Bell workers see me show up everyday for my taco.

Also. One taco isnít enough to do anything. Iíd most likely end up buying a full meal which would end up costing a lot of money AND Iíd be eating a full Taco Bell meal every day. Ainít no one winning in that scenario.
Old 01-07-22, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 270 Likes on 189 Posts

Nope, not worth it to me.

I only eat TB twice a year. Each of those I go in to order a 12 crunchy taco party pack, small drink, and 12 packs of Fire sauce. I sit and eat my meal and I'm good to go for another 6 months.

(Hey now, I like real Mexican. I go to a local place called Taco King at least weekly. Lengua tacos, pozole, chili verde, sope, asada torta... but the bi-annual visit to TB is a nostalgia thing from growing up in a region where the only Mexican food was TB or the dreaded Jack in the Box taco.)
Old 01-07-22, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 545 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
They're just working their way to a Columbia House style subscription.
So they'll ship you 10 tacos every month, keep the ones you want, and send the rest back?

Kidding aside there's no way I'd do this. The Taco Bell line near me averages about 10 minutes wait time. I'm not waiting 10 minutes a day (5 hours a month) for my $10 in tacos. I'm good with the $5 box every now and then.
Old 01-07-22, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 570 Posts

Even if I went to Taco Bell more often it doesnít seem like that great of a deal. A taco has to be one of the cheapest items on their menu. Maybe if there was more variety it would be a better deal.
Old 01-07-22, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 222 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I guess itís a decent deal but Iíd be embarrassed to have the Taco Bell workers see me show up everyday for my taco.

Also. One taco isnít enough to do anything. Iíd most likely end up buying a full meal which would end up costing a lot of money AND Iíd be eating a full Taco Bell meal every day. Ainít no one winning in that scenario.
Yea, they're betting on you ordering more than just the 1 taco, hence the existence of this subscription.
Old 01-07-22, 12:32 PM

Received 898 Likes on 520 Posts

That's the point. This is a loss leader, pure and simple. They will make tons of money on this.
Old 01-07-22, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,235 Likes on 884 Posts

One taco isnít enough to do anything. Iíd most likely end up buying a full meal which would end up costing a lot of money AND Iíd be eating a full Taco Bell meal every day. Ainít no one winning in that scenario.
I think that's the plan. They want to get you in the store for your free taco, and then think you'll buy more stuff to complete your meal.

Actually feels kind of like a Hail Mary play on their part. Get people to pay ten bucks a month, hope they come in several times a week and buy more stuff like drinks and burritos. Are they in financial trouble? The Taco Bells near me seem to be woefully understaffed, and I've heard of people getting stuck in the drive-thru for nearly an hour waiting on their orders.
Old 01-07-22, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 437 Likes on 310 Posts

Maybe if I didn't have to use another APP to do so. I have enough APPs on my phone as is, I don't need another.
Old 01-07-22, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,029 Likes on 797 Posts

I guess it’s a decent deal but I’d be embarrassed to have the Taco Bell workers see me show up everyday for my taco.

Also. One taco isn’t enough to do anything. I’d most likely end up buying a full meal which would end up costing a lot of money AND I’d be eating a full Taco Bell meal every day. Ain’t no one winning in that scenario.
That's obviously what they're banking on but pay 30 bucks a month and get three tacos a day. I wonder if they have any provisions for that (like force you to go back to the end of the line or something to get each subsequent order)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.