Other Talk "Otterville"

Winter 2022!

Old 01-17-22, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts
Re: Winter 2022!

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
We got slammed with about 2' of snow today, double what was forecast and more snow than I have seen in one dumping in my 47 years. It's still coming down as I write. I love snow, and it's very pretty outside, but of all days! Today my mom had a very important medical appointment, and we had to cancel. I shovelled the driveway as best I could and backed out onto the street a bit to see if it was feasible, but I decided it was just too risky. We would have gotten stuck somewhere with the RWD Tesla, even with winter tires. This is one of the rare occasions when a 4WD SUV would have come in handy.
You can see how much snow it is on the picnic table on the back porch. I don't even want to know how much Buffalo got. andicus, cultshock, Coral: you guys in the Niagara region were expected to get even more. What is it looking like there?

Old 01-17-22, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 453 Posts

^It snowed another ~6" after I took those pics. A long stretch of the 401 freeway was at a standstill for most of the day because cars entered and got stuck, and the plows couldn't get through to do their job.
Old 01-17-22, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

^
What you are witnessing is the beginning of an ice-age.
Old 01-17-22, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 329 Likes on 232 Posts

Can global warming kick it up a few notches already?
The following users liked this post:
Norm de Plume (01-18-22)
Old 01-17-22, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 782 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by Rodney2187 View Post
I'm currently living in Florida. I miss having seasons.
Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Yeah, I lived in Florida briefly and deeply missed the changing seasons, it just seemed so unnatural (insert Florida joke here).
Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
Shovelled 12"+ from our driveway this morning...
Nope, I don't miss snow shoveling season at all.

I shoveled a few 24" snow storms when I was a teenager. The record was over 30" in two days (it was two different storms). Albuquerque snow melts before lunch, and I like it like that.

I did like the sensation of shoveling at 11 PM in a gentle snowfall. I would be the only person outdoors, snow muffles sound, and the world would be so quiet.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 01-17-22 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-18-22, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
We got slammed with about 2' of snow today, double what was forecast and more snow than I have seen in one dumping in my 47 years. It's still coming down as I write. I love snow, and it's very pretty outside, but of all days! Today my mom had a very important medical appointment, and we had to cancel. I shovelled the driveway as best I could and backed out onto the street a bit to see if it was feasible, but I decided it was just too risky. We would have gotten stuck somewhere with the RWD Tesla, even with winter tires. This is one of the rare occasions when a 4WD SUV would have come in handy.
You can see how much snow it is on the picnic table on the back porch. I don't even want to know how much Buffalo got. andicus, cultshock, Coral: you guys in the Niagara region were expected to get even more. What is it looking like there?

I'm glad you posted this because we got destroyed overnight as well and I don't ever remember getting that much over one night. My car was completely buried, I had drifts 5' high as well.

In typical western new york fashion, plows still haven't come out - the streets are buried and many people are furious.
Old 01-18-22, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 206 Likes on 155 Posts

I just went back outside this morning after the snowplow came back to "clean" my sidestreet and block my driveway with a wall of snow. For those that have commented that they miss winter and snow, I'll switch places with you right now...
eXcentris (01-18-22)
Old 01-18-22, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 520 Likes on 298 Posts

I miss childhood snow. That's snow you can look at, and play in, but don't have any responsibilities about.
tommyp007 (01-19-22)
Old 01-18-22, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 612 Likes on 437 Posts

News was showing snow removal in TO, and they mentioned the city can't tow your car if it's in the way unless their a special city rule/ordinance, like there is now for 72 hours. Otherwise they have to tell you before they tow it. No such thing here, if you haven't moved your car during scheduled removal it will get towed. That said, we do get quite a bit more snow.
Norm de Plume (01-18-22)
Old 01-18-22, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 663 Likes on 468 Posts

Luckily our roads were all clear today and I had no issues driving to work.
Old 01-18-22, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 453 Posts

Apparently more than 500 TTC (Toronto transit) buses got stuck in the snow yesterday. Some buses are still stranded today. I think the main problem is that forecasters underestimated the storm, and thus snow-removal crews were somewhat unprepared. We generally have excellent snow crews in this city. It didn't help that the height of the storm was right around the morning rush hour. I was out at 7:30 a.m. yesterday shovelling about 18 inches. Much more was to come. The official numbers say we got a total of 45 cm (36 downtown), but that is pure bullshit, as you can see in the photos. It was at least 70-80 in toto in our area.
Originally Posted by Sonic
What you are witnessing is the beginning of an ice-age.
Ha, no. Winters have been milder and less snowy overall than they were in the past. This was a bit of a freak event. By the way, a water main broke across the street (where the fir tree is in the first pic) this afternoon, which was odd since it wasn't really cold enough. A city crew came, dug up the neighbour's yard, and made quick work of the leak.
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I just went back outside this morning after the snowplow came back to "clean" my sidestreet and block my driveway with a wall of snow. For those that have commented that they miss winter and snow, I'll switch places with you right now...
I can see the lure of a place like Florida, having spent many long-ago Christmas vacations on Siesta Key, but I wouldn't want to live there. Tastes vary. Some people can only cope in a tropical climate. Others wouldn't want to do without four seasons.
But I understand your aggravation with a "windrow" being slashed across the bottom of your freshly-shovelled driveway. That is some heavy, compact snow!
Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Nope, I don't miss snow shoveling season at all.

I shoveled a few 24" snow storms when I was a teenager. The record was over 30" in two days (it was two different storms). Albuquerque snow melts before lunch, and I like it like that.
Fair enough. I'm not quite at the age where I have had my fill of shovelling. Most of our neighbours, yuppies, have private companies clear their snow. Heaven forbid they have to lift a finger for such grunt work.
I did like the sensation of shoveling at 11 PM in a gentle snowfall. I would be the only person outdoors, snow muffles sound, and the world would be so quiet.
Few experiences are as magical as the one you describe.
Old 01-18-22, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm exhausted, plows drove by six times (2 at a time) - that was a ton of heavy snow to shovel (for those of you that don't get snow....be thankful you'll never have to deal with "end of the driveway snow").

Driving around today I realized I was right....never in my life have I seen this much snow drop in just one night.

I still love it though. Not this crazy amount but snow in general.

We got so much snow that a couple of plows got stuck as well.
Old 01-19-22, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 232 Likes on 127 Posts

End-of-driveway snow sucks! It is heavy, compact and must be dealt with or it will refreeze into a semi-solid mass. Also, because there's so much of it, I quickly run out of space at the bottom/side of the driveway to dump it, so every freakin' shovelful has to be walked nearby to be dumped.
danwiz (01-19-22)
Old 01-20-22, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 561 Likes on 358 Posts

This kid (and Ralphie lookalike) is the hero that we need:

Old 01-20-22, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 470 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
I miss childhood snow. That's snow you can look at, and play in, but don't have any responsibilities about.
God, I wish I had some "adult" snow right now. It would be a pleasure to be responsible for it. And to enjoy and savor the envigorating, crisp, cool temperatures.

Instead of this dry-ass 80-degree terribly hot and bright January we've been having in Southern Calif.
Old 02-20-22, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We're having some crazy winter weather in the mid-Atlantic. We will have several days with almost spring-like temperatures, and then it quickly goes back to freezing cold.

We have also had days with really strong winds. Yesterday, the wind knocked down a tall dead ash tree in my back yard, breaking a split-rail fence and landing in the neighbor's back yard. Thankfully, the fence is mine, and it didn't do any damage to neighbor's house. I got an estimate a few years ago to remove the dead trees from my back yard, but didn't get it done because of the cost. I have no choice now but to pay.
Old 02-20-22, 11:59 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 187 Likes on 133 Posts

We have a neighbor with a chainsaw who was aching to use it, so a tree that was blown over a couple of years ago didn't last long. Put the wood out by the curb, free to whoever wanted it, it was gone in no time.
Old 02-20-22, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a chainsaw, but it's too small for a tree this size. And I have no aching desire to spend all day outside in the winter, trying to cut up a tree with an undersized chainsaw.

Besides that, there are other dead trees that are still standing that need to be taken down before they come down on their own. And there's no way I'm going to try and do that myself.
Old 02-20-22, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 602 Likes on 434 Posts

Starting to thaw out from 6" last Thursday. Might hit 70 tomorrow. Just in time for more snow on Thursday again but shouldn't be as much.
Old 02-21-22, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 266 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips View Post
We're having some crazy winter weather in the mid-Atlantic. We will have several days with almost spring-like temperatures, and then it quickly goes back to freezing cold.

We have also had days with really strong winds. Yesterday, the wind knocked down a tall dead ash tree in my back yard, breaking a split-rail fence and landing in the neighbor's back yard. Thankfully, the fence is mine, and it didn't do any damage to neighbor's house. I got an estimate a few years ago to remove the dead trees from my back yard, but didn't get it done because of the cost. I have no choice now but to pay.
Dang.

We had a dying birch right on the fenceline between our houses (technically in my yard) and I talked my neighbor into going halvsies on a tree service taking it out with their amazing tree cutting crane. No fuss no damage they took the top away and ground the stump. Worth every penny.
danwiz (02-22-22)
Old 02-22-22, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 245 Posts

.10 of rain last night

The drought is over in CA
Old 02-22-22, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

61F at 11:20pm in the middle of winter in the mid-Atlantic. That is crazy. We'll get a warm day around 60F in the winter every now and then, but usually it goes back to freezing shortly around sunset. This warm in the middle of the night is freakishly warm for this area. I'm not complaining though, I hate cold weather. Thursday we'll be back to normal with a high of 35F.
Old 02-23-22, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 266 Likes on 188 Posts

Indeed. We've been having these freaky warm days up here too, and it plays havoc by turning the powder to that horrible east coast wet snow. Not to mention Icemageddon (really please don't mention it). Even this week we're expecting an above-freezing Friday. We're supposed to be at or below zero for another few weeks at least!

Breakup is going to be naaassstyyy this year.
danwiz (02-23-22)
Old 02-23-22, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 561 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips View Post
61F at 11:20pm in the middle of winter in the mid-Atlantic. That is crazy. We'll get a warm day around 60F in the winter every now and then, but usually it goes back to freezing shortly around sunset. This warm in the middle of the night is freakishly warm for this area. I'm not complaining though, I hate cold weather. Thursday we'll be back to normal with a high of 35F.
I am just south of you. It got to 77F today where I work and tomorrow it might snow. That is some Boulder-esque shit right there.
Old 02-23-22, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 782 Likes on 512 Posts

I have been talking about the drought here for a long while. The journal Nature just published a paper that says the current drought is the worst since the beginning of their data in 800 AD.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41558-022-01290-z

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.