Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What did you enjoy or appreciate most in 2021?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 01-01-22, 09:38 PM

Received 898 Likes on 520 Posts

We already have another thread about what we didn't like in 2021. However, there's plenty of neuroscience research showing that if we start with our highs instead of our lows, our positives instead of our negatives, it is better for our brains and our overall holistic health. I already posted in the other thread and wish I'd done it the opposite because that's the kind of person I try to be. At any rate, the question for this thread is:

I'm glad to go first:

I had some personal trauma happen during 2020 (surprise, right?). It was tough, I had good support, but kept it essentially to myself. 1 year later, I essentially told all of my friends about what I had been going through and I got a huge wave of support. A true weight was lifted.

I started writing a gratitude journal in September and wrote 1 sentence of 1 thing I'm grateful for every day. The goal is to do this every day for at least 1 calendar year. I've really enjoyed doing this and have ended up writing about epic big events and also the simple little things, as well.

I watched our youngest kid in early elementary school learn to read even during their year of distanced online learning. Of course online school came with many challenges, but that kid learned to read. They adore reading now and I love it. They got lots of books as gifts for Christmas this year, for sure!

I created, adapted, or ushered in some new systems at work that have really helped things go more smoothly. Big parts of it are behind the scenes that 99/100 won't know about but they have made things not just easier but more fun. 2022 is the year a lot of this year's systems work will pay off, I think. We shall see.

I also am glad that work ended up healthy in a lot of ways where I saw it go very downhill for colleagues and other contexts. I say this in terms of pandemic and how personalities, politics, and power dynamics all unfolded. We have been relatively on the same page with our pandemic response the entire time, thankfully.

I am just so happy that The Book of Boba Fett exists. I know there's been a backlash in some fan circles who don't like how much love Boba Fett gets, but he has always been my favorite. To see my favorite character get his own show is simply delightful. I'm enjoying it so far and had a lot of hype leading into it, it's a lot of fun!

I took a few new steps in laying out my future professionally and my spouse and I took new steps in laying out our family's future. We started investing and doing better for how we save for retirement. And we had really good teamwork on family logistics, vacations, school, housekeeping, and general pandemic response. We grew and grew together.
The following 3 users liked this post by story:
davidh777 (01-02-22), John Pannozzi (01-02-22), tanman (01-03-22)
Old 01-01-22, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,868 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Re: What did you enjoy or appreciate most in 2021?

2021 was far from a normal year but the vaccines allowed a return to a semblance of normalcy. I got to go to concerts again. Sporting events. I got to travel, go back home to Hawaii and hug my octogenarian dad. Visited my daughter in NYC over Thanksgiving and go to Broadway shows. I can do my job and see sick people and not worry about catching a potentially deadly infection in the process.
Also I got to go to our beautiful new NFL stadium, sit in my seats that I will own for the next 30 years and cheer on a team that I actually don't care at all about.
2021 wasn't all bad.
The following 4 users liked this post by Decker:
DJariya (01-01-22), John Pannozzi (01-02-22), story (01-01-22), tanman (01-03-22)
Old 01-01-22, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 521 Likes on 245 Posts

Being able to care for my dad in his last ten months of life. We had lived 875 miles apart since 1985, for my entire adult life. When my mother died in 2004, I was able to spend a week with her while she was in home hospice, but it wasn't the same as being able to totally take care of her.

In the same vein, being able to work from home. I've been doing that since March 2020. It made caregiving for my dad a much more manageable arrangement.

EDITED TO ADD that I have received two inheritances from my father and an uncle who died the year before. The security of that cushion has been a life changer.

EDITED AGAIN TO ADD that two new kitties--a 10 year old grey tabby male I named Jingle and a 3-year-old Ragamese female I named Hermes--joined my household this year, Jingle in August and Hermes in December. The resident lifer, 15-year-old Vibiana, is not thrilled with either of them encroaching on the territory she has known since kittenhood, but since Jingle is completely declawed he is not a real threat, and so far Hermes is minding her manners with the crazy old lady cat, there has been no bloodshed. Yet.
Spoiler:

Last edited by Vibiana; 01-01-22 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Spoilered enormous cat pictures
The following 4 users liked this post by Vibiana:
BobO'Link (01-03-22), John Pannozzi (01-02-22), story (01-01-22), tanman (01-03-22)
Old 01-01-22, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Being able to see my sister and niece in person again without masks or social distancing. And I have to thank the vaccinations for that. We spent a year apart and my niece grew 4 inches.

And after not traveling in 2020, I did get to travel again in 2021 vacationing for a few days in October on my birthday in Hawaii.

And being able to return to work safely in person (although with masks and having vaccination requirement) and have some sense of normalcy, mainly the routine aspect. Also being around co-workers after working a year remotely.

and most of you know I love going to the movies. 2020 was a bad year for the theatre business and had closures, movies getting postponed months to a year and limited showings. Now 2021, theatres resumed full operation and I was able to go back to the movies semi-regularly. It brings a lot of joy having the "experience" back, especially for something like Spider-Man: No Way Home a few weeks ago.

Despite the turbulent last 6 months or so, 2021 was not the dumpster fire that 2020 was.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-01-22 at 10:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
story (01-01-22), tanman (01-03-22)
Old 01-01-22, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,509 Likes on 984 Posts

I accepted a new position within my company in June. I was at my witís end with my last position and was very close to outright quitting. The new position allowed me to be fully vested in my company and is far less stressful. Itís been frustrating learning a new position from home but all-in-all, itís been a great change for my career and my personal life.
The following 5 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
DJariya (01-01-22), John Pannozzi (01-02-22), story (01-01-22), tanman (01-03-22), Vibiana (01-01-22)
Old 01-01-22, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 571 Likes on 443 Posts

Couple things come to mind: One is seeing some live music again. Beginning in August, I saw the Descendents, Green Day, The Dickies, Starcrawler, and The Toasters. The return of "Exile on Kettner Blvd", an annual X-mas Eve Rolling Stones show. Got to sing at Punk Rock Karaoke, too.

The other thing was using the extra time to do some home electronics projects. I refurbished a laserdisc player so my film festival could show a movie only released on that format, and then bought a few more from E-bay and fixed them up for resale. I rebuilt my old 70s-era stereo receiver. I refurbished my guitar amp. And I bought a Fender Telecaster, and rewired the electronics and replaced a pickup. All my projects were successful, with the exception of one laserdisc player that was beyond my repair skills.
The following 2 users liked this post by Paff:
story (01-01-22), tanman (01-03-22)
Old 01-01-22, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts

Vaccines and occasional feelings of getting back to a semblance of normal. Then take a step back.
The following 2 users liked this post by rexinnih:
story (01-01-22), Vibiana (01-01-22)
Old 01-02-22, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 471 Likes on 377 Posts

A little hope with vaccinations and boosters, but then having it all come crashing down with more insanity and stupidity, and a feeling like we're still at war "for the duration" and the frustration that this thing called COVID isn't going away.

Otherwise, the best thing about 2021 is that it is now over and we are facing a very uncertain 2022. I'm very guarded, but slightly optimistic about what the year may bring. Can't get much worse than 2020 or 2021, after all. But, that's a pyrrhic victory at best.
Old 01-02-22, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 256 Likes on 184 Posts

I spent 11 months living out of my camper as I explored the country. I visited 26 states, 19 National Parks, and numerous state parks. I was in Florida for all of Spring Training and Arizona for most of the Arizona Fall League. Between those two leagues and catching a few MiLB and MLB games along the way, I probably attended 75 baseball games after only attending five in 2020 (I was in Florida when Spring Training got canceled). Bought a house in December and enjoying being settled back in one place, but still miss waking up in an incredibly scenic location and being able to grab my pack and take off for a 2-3 hour early morning hike.
The following 2 users liked this post by John Galt:
story (01-02-22), tanman (01-03-22)
Old 01-02-22, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 81 Posts

Getting vaccinated really early (fully vaxxed first week of March) and the brief period this summer where it felt like it may actually be ending.

Along with 2020, this was my best year ever financially. Paid off my first brand new car about 7 months early and didn't do something stupid like trade it in immediately.

I just seem to have a better attitude about everything, While everyone else seems to be cracking apart at the seams, I feel invigorated somehow.

I'm overcoming the fallacy of sunk costs and cleared out a bunch of camera equipment I was never going to use again. Started making better purchasing decisions too.
I started participating in my hobby more. I just purchased a laser engraver and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

And I'm actually looking forward to 2022.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jason:
story (01-02-22), tanman (01-03-22)
Old 01-02-22, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts

2021 was a better year for me, in addition to the positives carried over from 2020 having steady remote work and family close by.

Myself and most family members getting the vaccine and remaining healthy.

My first year earning six figures, something I never anticipated to reach this soon. My financial outlook has changed completely.

Slowly getting back to normal - more movies, an outdoor concert, seeing crowds at sporting events, etc. And I'm anticipating losing the masks (again) come spring time.
The following users liked this post:
story (01-02-22)
Old 01-02-22, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 137 Likes on 74 Posts

I did this
The following 4 users liked this post by Chrisedge:
danwiz (01-02-22), story (01-02-22), tanman (01-03-22), tasha99 (01-02-22)
Old 01-02-22, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 570 Posts

It wasnít necessarily an outstanding year but I didnít think 2021 was as bad as a lot of people did. Especially when comparing it to 2020.

I moved into an apartment with my girlfriend and things are going well. The goal is to ask her to marry me at some point this year.

Took a shot at advancing myself at work a little bit. Not a promotion necessarily, but something where I get to assist with aspects of my work thatís outside of my normal job duties and a little more responsibility.

Aside from those things just a better sense of normalcy versus 2020. I live in South Dakota where there werenít a lot of restrictions to begin with, but with the vaccine I feel safer about going out. It was nice to be able to go out to eat more, and especially to see some movies in the theater, even if it wasnít as many as in the past.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mike86:
John Pannozzi (01-02-22), story (01-02-22), tanman (01-03-22)
Old 01-02-22, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 520 Likes on 298 Posts

Every once in a while, the stars align, and I have a moment of awesome. That happened in 2021.

I got up early one morning to run some errands. No morning routine, just threw on some clothes, sucked down some coffee and headed out.

In the grocery store, I said hello to one of the staff, and realized another benefit of wearing a mask. I discovered I had the worst coffee/morning/dragon breath ever. I did the rest of my shopping just sort of nodding and saying "mmm" when needed.

Waiting in the line at checkout, I noticed an anti-masker at the exit. People are pretty nice around here, so he was the first one I had ever seen in person. This guy wasn't all aggressive like the people you see on YouTube, just a skinny old man mocking everyone as they passed. Apparently he hadn't made enough of a nuisance of himself yet for the manger to throw him out. The checker and bagger just rolled their eyes and shrugged when they saw me looking at him.

That's when the stars aligned. (I'm sure you know where this is going)

As I headed for the door, and he was going on something like, "another sheep wearing a muzzle because they're afraid of lie!" I stopped abruptly, yanking my cart to a halt right next to him.
He lit up, expecting a confrontation. That's not what he got.

I said loudly, "You've convinced me! I'm TAKING OFF MY MASK!" Which I did. Then I gave him a huge "HUAAAAAAH" right in the face.

As he reeled back, I laughed like a maniac, grabbed my cart, and hurried out.

I don't know if anyone saw it, but I've felt good about it ever since. I haven't seen that guy again.

The following 4 users liked this post by Mrs. Danger:
danwiz (01-02-22), Max Bottomtime (01-02-22), tanman (01-03-22), tasha99 (01-02-22)
Old 01-02-22, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 785 Likes on 513 Posts

I've had a good year, excluding Covid.

I loved my first full year of retirement. I don't spend my days getting up at 4 AM to work in a windowless building, wearing itchy scrubs, and breathing air that irritates my asthma. After of years of thinking daily, "I'm smarter than this, but I didn't get enough sleep," I get enough sleep. My middle-aged aches are less. My health is significantly better.

After staying at home for a year, ordering groceries, ordering restaurant food, and ordering home repair materials to be carried out to my car in the parking lot, I started going places beyond the front yard.

I bought a 2013 Lexus at the end of February 2020, and then it sat in the driveway for a year. I bought three tanks of gas in six months. In July, we drove to Utah to bury my mother's remains. I saw my aunt and uncle for what was probably the last time. Then we took a long route home, finally seeing Dinosaur National Monument.

We took a road trip in October to visit my sister in Indiana and then continuing to Niagara Falls. The Lexus was a delight. Every vacation I've taken in twenty years has involved a calculation of how much time it takes to see something vs. when do I have to be back at work. This trip, we stopped every time we saw something interesting. Not only do we have pictures of Niagara Falls (which was awesome), but we have pictures of the 1837 railroad underpass in Vernon, Indiana.

In December, my lover moved into our house. There is an old joke that the Chinese character for trouble is two women under one roof. But so far it's been going great. Everyone gets along. The new division of chores is nice. She gets from home from work and dinner is ready. Mrs Danger and I get up in the morning and the dishes are washed and the kitchen is cleaned. I get hugged goodnight twice every night. I think it will work.
Old 01-02-22, 12:53 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I finally moved into my own house (one that belonged to my father's parents).

One of my cousins got married.

I contributed to an animated anthology film for kids.

And I got vaccinated.
story (01-02-22)
Old 01-02-22, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 520 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by John Pannozzi View Post
Cool!
The following 3 users liked this post by Mrs. Danger:
danwiz (01-02-22), John Pannozzi (01-02-22), story (01-02-22)
Old 01-02-22, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 260 Likes on 149 Posts

I was looking for a way to make my underwater photography more interesting. I had been photographing small marine animals on an obsidian "stage" for several years but one day I came across scrying mirrors on the internet. I'd never heard the term before, but basically, they are polished obsidian discs. I'm now able to get a reflection of the animals on the stage, but using a different lighting technique, the photos look more like studio shots rather than underwater.

The following 9 users liked this post by Max Bottomtime:
andicus (01-03-22), Chrisedge (01-02-22), danwiz (01-03-22), GoldenJCJ (01-02-22), Kevin Phillips (01-02-22), Nick Danger (01-02-22), phryzbe (01-02-22), story (01-02-22), tanman (01-03-22) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-02-22, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 471 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
I said loudly, "You've convinced me! I'm TAKING OFF MY MASK!" Which I did. Then I gave him a huge "HUAAAAAAH" right in the face.

As he reeled back, I laughed like a maniac, grabbed my cart, and hurried out.

I don't know if anyone saw it, but I've felt good about it ever since. I haven't seen that guy again.
Great story. Thank you. Made me smile on *something* that happened in 2021!

Glad to see what hopefully became one convert! If only it was that easy for the millions of others...
story (01-02-22)
Old 01-02-22, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 211 Posts

Accepting a new teaching position at a Private Middle/High School with wonderful Administration, Staff and Students

Quitting my previous teaching position at a Middle/High School I spent 6-years with

Quitting my (temporary) position as an Assistant Director at a Summer Camp

Being able to teach in-person

Being in my 2nd year as a Home Owner

The companionship and health of my Blind/Senior Cat

Learning more about myself & my identity

Seeing my parents & brother after not being able to for well over a year and a half

Learning new Trading Card Games and the people I've met because of them

Attending (21) live concerts since late-June (of 2021)
The following 2 users liked this post by asianxcore:
John Pannozzi (01-02-22), story (01-03-22)
Old 01-02-22, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,211 Posts

I'll add another thing to my post. Another thing I got to really appreciate over the last year was human connection and being around people. I really missed that in 2020 when I couldn't be around friends and colleagues at work. I interacted with colleagues at work through Zoom and cell phones when I was working remotely and it's just not the same. I know there's people here who work remotely and probably don't ever care about working with people or aren't close with their colleagues. But for me, working in entertainment and media, it became part of who I am and it was an industry that helped me grow out of my social anxiety and awkwardness when I was younger. So yeah human connection.

and lastly, I grew to appreciate my employment and promised myself I would never make petty complaints about my job or the hours I worked again.
story (01-03-22)
Old 01-02-22, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 232 Likes on 127 Posts

I was able to take three vacations: Cancun, Costa Rica, and the California Sierra Nevadas. We were able to do this because I've done a lot of work travel over the last few years, and had enough miles we didn't have to pay for any of the vacation airfare.
story (01-03-22)
Old 01-03-22, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 187 Likes on 143 Posts

I saw Negativland in concert, but David "The Weatherman" Wills only appeared via webcam.

13 3D Blu-Rays were released despite the format being "dead".
Old 01-03-22, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 561 Likes on 358 Posts

I was also able to get a little non-work travel in this year as well. I am in the shadow of Arenal in Costa Rica as I type this (arrived on 12/30 so it qualifies), avoiding the 8 inches of snow that apparently has fallen on my home while we have been away. We also managed a nice driving trip to the Finger Lakes in late spring and a trip to Jackson Hole as a last-minute replacement for our canceled Canadian Rockies trip in August.

Like a few others, I managed to move from a highly-toxic job to a much better one this year as well.

Mostly, I am continuously thankful for my wife and daughter. I have told my wife in the past tat asking her to marry me was the easiest "big" decision of my life and it continues to warm my heart every time I stop to consider and realize that my feelings for her have not changed one iota, even with the extra challenges of these past two years.
story (01-04-22)
Old 01-03-22, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 163 Likes on 128 Posts

I went to a friend's out of town wedding that was postponed from 2020. First time I saw that group of friends in a long time (Feb 2020 - June 2021 without seeing them in person).

My vaccine worked and I didn't catch COVID at the 100-person wedding. It was a nice "vacation" that was 2.5 hours away from me. While not a real vacation, it was a nice 3-day getaway.
story (01-04-22)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.