Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What did you enjoy or appreciate most in 2021?

Other Talk "Otterville"

What did you enjoy or appreciate most in 2021?

Old 01-03-22, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 785 Likes on 513 Posts
Re: What did you enjoy or appreciate most in 2021?

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
I was also able to get a little non-work travel in this year as well. I am in the shadow of Arenal in Costa Rica as I type this (arrived on 12/30 so it qualifies), avoiding the 8 inches of snow that apparently has fallen on my home while we have been away. We also managed a nice driving trip to the Finger Lakes in late spring and a trip to Jackson Hole as a last-minute replacement for our canceled Canadian Rockies trip in August.

Like a few others, I managed to move from a highly-toxic job to a much better one this year as well.

Mostly, I am continuously thankful for my wife and daughter. I have told my wife in the past tat asking her to marry me was the easiest "big" decision of my life and it continues to warm my heart every time I stop to consider and realize that my feelings for her have not changed one iota, even with the extra challenges of these past two years.
Aren't you a lawyer? According to television, every law firm is toxic.
Old 01-03-22, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 561 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Aren't you a lawyer? According to television, every law firm is toxic.
Criminal investigator.
Old 01-03-22, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 521 Likes on 245 Posts

I just thought of another. I know a lot of us have said in the other thread that we hate seeing so many people falling for conspiracy theories and fighting against vaccines, masks, etc. Well, I'm choosing to appreciate and enjoy the fact that the people doing this are getting pushback. Maybe not as much as we need yet, but .....
The following 3 users liked this post by Vibiana:
BobO'Link (01-04-22), story (01-03-22), tanman (01-03-22)
Old 01-03-22, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 471 Likes on 377 Posts

As demonstrated by some of the posts in this thread, there are some individuals who thrive in times of adversity and chaos, and I admire them. How people can be so positive in such a year, is like some unknowable to myself. I just can't see how someone like asianxcore could have done *so much* without literally falling apart. It's the rare stuff of heroes, I guess, and few of us have those personalities or psychological constructs.

I did everything I could to not go insane in 2020 and 2021. Thankfully, I made it! One does try to persevere, even against great odds. If I had attempted all of those things that he did, I know I'd be in the grave now. 18 concerts!! I wouldn't have taken that risk --. New home? I've been talking about that for YEARS -- getting out of Calif. It's like some Sisyphean task -- trying to roll the ball over the top of the hill... 5% can succeed, while 95% are try, try, trying....
The following 2 users liked this post by zyzzle:
story (01-03-22), tanman (01-03-22)
Old 01-03-22, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 486 Likes on 349 Posts

Yes, I also really enjoy these stories and congrats to those who have continued to thrive through the pandemic. Thanks for starting this thread Story.

There's a Disney podcaster that I really enjoy listening to. Lately the Disney subculture can be a very toxic place with a lot of people complaining about changes they've made or planning to make etc. He has such an infectiously positive attitude and one of his catch phrases is that he always Chooses the Good. So he always tries to see the good in everything. Not that everything is good but if you choose to focus on the good things in life it can really change your outlook.
The following users liked this post:
story (01-03-22)
Old 01-03-22, 09:40 PM

Received 898 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
one of his catch phrases is that he always Chooses the Good. So he always tries to see the good in everything. Not that everything is good but if you choose to focus on the good things in life it can really change your outlook.
Nice. Reminds me of a certain member's longstanding signature...
Old 01-04-22, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 154 Posts

That more and more board games support a solo player. Even in non-Covid times I'd sometimes have a difficult time to get/find people to play many of the more "difficult" board games with me (my wife is *not* a gamer in any sense of the word - she'll play classic card games and, on occasion, Scrabble, but that's about it). I can now play many of them by myself and greatly enjoy the mental challenge they can present.
story (01-04-22)
Old 01-04-22, 09:12 AM

Received 898 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
That more and more board games support a solo player. Even in non-Covid times I'd sometimes have a difficult time to get/find people to play many of the more "difficult" board games with me (my wife is *not* a gamer in any sense of the word - she'll play classic card games and, on occasion, Scrabble, but that's about it). I can now play many of them by myself and greatly enjoy the mental challenge they can present.
Do you have examples of which games to try solo? I'm interested because I'm the biggest board gamer in my house and I also have difficulty finding people to play with, too. Last year, the kids and I played Connect Four and Mastermind for hours, with me often playing each of them at both games at the same time. After a while, I found myself playing Connect Four against myself and I have to say, it's really fun. It's fascinating trying to out-maneuver yourself.
Old 01-04-22, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by story View Post
Do you have examples of which games to try solo? I'm interested because I'm the biggest board gamer in my house and I also have difficulty finding people to play with, too. Last year, the kids and I played Connect Four and Mastermind for hours, with me often playing each of them at both games at the same time. After a while, I found myself playing Connect Four against myself and I have to say, it's really fun. It's fascinating trying to out-maneuver yourself.
I moved my reply here: https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk...l#post14035194 as it's more appropriate in that thread.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 01-04-22 at 11:15 AM.
story (01-04-22)
Old 01-05-22, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 312 Posts

More than anything, I think I appreciate still having a job, one that allowed me to buy a new car this year. I'm having a lot of fun with the new car.

And while I technically got her in December 2020, I'm very grateful that I took in a dog that needed a new home. She has been a sweetheart and a welcome addition. It's amazing how a good dog can help make the stress go away.
Vibiana (01-26-22)
Old 01-17-22, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Received 481 Likes on 305 Posts

Very much enjoyed my trip in the Pacific Northwest. Got to explore multiple national parks and was even a groomsman (for former admin IBrshao!) on my birthday and walked the groom's sister down the aisle.

Moved into my own place again.

Actually got into physical media again and bought a few Blu-rays that I hope to share with my future children.
The following 4 users liked this post by IBJoel:
BobO'Link (01-18-22), Kurt D (01-17-22), story (01-17-22), Vibiana (01-26-22)
Old 01-17-22, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 660 Likes on 451 Posts

First year of no drinking!
The following 5 users liked this post by Kurt D:
BobO'Link (01-18-22), IBJoel (01-18-22), jfoobar (01-17-22), story (01-18-22), Vibiana (01-26-22)
Old 01-24-22, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 486 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I've had a good year, excluding Covid.

I loved my first full year of retirement. I don't spend my days getting up at 4 AM to work in a windowless building, wearing itchy scrubs, and breathing air that irritates my asthma. After of years of thinking daily, "I'm smarter than this, but I didn't get enough sleep," I get enough sleep. My middle-aged aches are less. My health is significantly better.

After staying at home for a year, ordering groceries, ordering restaurant food, and ordering home repair materials to be carried out to my car in the parking lot, I started going places beyond the front yard.

I bought a 2013 Lexus at the end of February 2020, and then it sat in the driveway for a year. I bought three tanks of gas in six months. In July, we drove to Utah to bury my mother's remains. I saw my aunt and uncle for what was probably the last time. Then we took a long route home, finally seeing Dinosaur National Monument.

We took a road trip in October to visit my sister in Indiana and then continuing to Niagara Falls. The Lexus was a delight. Every vacation I've taken in twenty years has involved a calculation of how much time it takes to see something vs. when do I have to be back at work. This trip, we stopped every time we saw something interesting. Not only do we have pictures of Niagara Falls (which was awesome), but we have pictures of the 1837 railroad underpass in Vernon, Indiana.

In December, my lover moved into our house. There is an old joke that the Chinese character for trouble is two women under one roof. But so far it's been going great. Everyone gets along. The new division of chores is nice. She gets from home from work and dinner is ready. Mrs Danger and I get up in the morning and the dishes are washed and the kitchen is cleaned. I get hugged goodnight twice every night. I think it will work.

So...why isn't this it's own thread? Instead of making us pick up little pieces here and there.