Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What one thing did you hate most about 2021?

Other Talk "Otterville"

What one thing did you hate most about 2021?

Old 01-02-22, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: What one thing did you hate most about 2021?

Only losing 34 pounds. Been keeping track of it relentlessly, but it's slow going. Still, while it's been slow there have been no major swings upwards, so I think it's working well for me.

But yeah, antivaxxers. And their obnoxious certainty that some idiot on YouTube has more and better information than real experts.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jason:
John Pannozzi (01-02-22), Norm de Plume (01-02-22)
Old 01-02-22, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 280 Likes on 203 Posts

When I look back on 2021, I'll have many more good memories than bad (see my post in the corresponding thread), but the worst parts were seeing the assault on democracy and all the ancillary stuff that caused and resulted from it as well as seeing my elderly parents falling for all the conspiracy shit they see online and refusing to get vaxxed. My mom finally went and got her two shots after I jokingly told her she made me go get shots I didn't want all the time when I was a kid and I was going to drag her in the car and take her to get hers. My dad is another story though. He fully believes that everyone who got the "clot shot" will be dead within a couple years. His company is forcing vaccinations and he's still refusing, so he's going to get fired within a couple weeks. My mom said after she got her shots, it was the worst fight they ever had in 45 years of marriage.
The following 2 users liked this post by John Galt:
John Pannozzi (01-02-22), Norm de Plume (01-02-22)
Old 01-02-22, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,077 Likes on 2,039 Posts

Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
I got into this over the summer with two of my best friends from college who are hardcore, Christian conservative, freedom fighting, anti vaxxers. Of course it was a conversation that got derailed about the benefits of the Covid vaccines, but they threw every standard argument against Gardisil that was based on verifiably false information. And after being proven wrong, the response was "well, I'd rather we just teach our kids not to be whores than giving them some unproven medicine". As if he had forgotten exactly what he was like in college just twenty years earlier.
“Whores”. 80% of all adults get exposed to HPV. It’s literally impossible to test men for HPV exposure. I sometimes tell parents “We all want our children to be a virgin and marry a virgin at age 30, but just in case that doesn’t happen, let’s protect her now”.
Old 01-02-22, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 247 Likes on 136 Posts

I got into this over the summer with two of my best friends from college who are hardcore, Christian conservative, freedom fighting, anti vaxxers. Of course it was a conversation that got derailed about the benefits of the Covid vaccines, but they threw every standard argument against Gardisil that was based on verifiably false information. And after being proven wrong, the response was "well, I'd rather we just teach our kids not to be whores than giving them some unproven medicine". As if he had forgotten exactly what he was like in college just twenty years earlier.
I think that is the crux of the Christian resistance to Gardasil. Since HPV is passed by sexual contact, cervical cancer is deserved punishment for being promiscuous.
Old 01-02-22, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 247 Likes on 136 Posts

For me, 2021 was just one long downer, but I don't know why.
Old 01-02-22, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 161 Posts

The whole misinformation / Big Lie / insurrection thing. Misinformation to include COVID. It's so frustrating to live in an age of unlimited information yet deal with massive, pervasive ignorance.
The following 8 users liked this post by Bronkster:
Abob Teff (01-02-22), AGuyNamedMike (01-05-22), andicus (01-03-22), BobO'Link (01-03-22), EdTheRipper (01-02-22), John Pannozzi (01-02-22), Norm de Plume (01-02-22), tanman (01-03-22) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-02-22, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 581 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
The whole misinformation / Big Lie / insurrection thing. Misinformation to include COVID. It's so frustrating to live in an age of unlimited information yet deal with massive, pervasive ignorance.
As I was prepping to go back to school this week, I was thinking something along those same lines earlier today. Here we have this wonderful tool that can take us all over the world and connect us to things we would never otherwise experience, but most people choose to use the internet to make the world smaller instead of bigger.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (01-02-22)
Old 01-02-22, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 519 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
How exactly is this ignorance manifested ? (Besides stuff like qanon, conspiracy theories, etc ...).
Doing very questionable things like refusing to get vaccinated, not wearing masks, gathering in large groups unmasked while a pandemic raged, and while their cohort were experiencing COVID at high rates. This type of behavior in science majors, otherwise very bright and "smart" people! (my students). Finally, in Sept of 2021, a campus-wide vaccination and testing mandate was put into place, so if these "smart" students choose not to vaccinate, test themselves for the virus, or even that to believe that it doesn't exist (yes, I had some students who stridently argued that!) aren't welcome. The not-so-surprising news? Many of those "smart" people actually did decide to get vaccinated, and that the virus does in fact exist, now that the "powers above" mandated some simple health precautions that all should be following if in a large public sphere such as a large University....
The following 4 users liked this post by zyzzle:
John Pannozzi (01-02-22), morriscroy (01-02-22), Norm de Plume (01-02-22), tanman (01-03-22)
Old 01-03-22, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 521 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
I think I got this here. It's so depressing how very true this is.

The following 2 users liked this post by tanman:
danwiz (01-03-22), Norm de Plume (01-03-22)
Old 01-03-22, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looking back this year wasn't really that terrible for me. I should be a lot happier but I'm just not feeling it.

My dad was diagnosed with parkinsons this year. He's doing okay but just another reminder how old he's getting. He finally retired (was kind of pushed out).

Work sucks. We still have a lot of challenges with the ongoing pandemic but now it feels like we've been abandoned. There isn't the outpouring of support there was for healthcare workers like there was at the beginning of the pandemic. We're short staffed. We're a revolving door for pharmacy technicians now as we can't keep any because they aren't paid enough. Luckily we don't have it as bad as the nurses do. Work isn't supporting us like they were before. Basically only the nurses got a paybump. At least we did get our annual pay raise but they also cut our sell back. We used to be able to sell back our PL time at 100% and now they just suddenly and arbitrarily dropped it to 75%. Sorry this is coming off as a bitch fest. I know all this stuff is pretty minor and inconsequential. I really should feel grateful. I just don't.
Norm de Plume (01-03-22)
Old 01-03-22, 05:01 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 200 Likes on 143 Posts

^ Everyone is short staffed. People don't want to work anymore. Some don't because they're terrified they're going to die if they step into a workplace with other people, others just think they can get away with not working because the government enabled that mentality, or they just got complacent with not working because.....Covid. Every decision people make these days seems like it's because.....Covid. At any rate, I just wonder how these people think they're going to pay their bills? Bills just don't go away.....

Last edited by kd5; 01-03-22 at 05:10 AM.
Old 01-03-22, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
“Whores”. 80% of all adults get exposed to HPV. It’s literally impossible to test men for HPV exposure. I sometimes tell parents “We all want our children to be a virgin and marry a virgin at age 30, but just in case that doesn’t happen, let’s protect her now”.
The one girl, to her credit, did stay a virgin till marriage so I'm sure she expects the same for her kids. But that was a rarity then and the world is much different now with sex being much more pervasive in everything. It's just so ignorant to not take basic precautions to prevent the risk. But she's convinced that there's risk of death and paralysis despite everything I showed to the contrary.
Old 01-03-22, 08:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Getting diagnosed with cancer. That was not fun.
Old 01-03-22, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,104 Likes on 861 Posts

$600 is the traditional threshold for 1099s for independent contractors and other various non W2 compensation. No, people selling $600 worth of stuff aren't raking in the dough, but there's plenty of people making $5000, $10000, $15000 that are taking advantage of the system. And like all the state sales tax changes in previous years, the government wants to make sure they're getting their share. Of all the things that went on during 2021, changing a tax law which now requires people to report their income honestly and doesn't give a competitive advantage to people purposely cheating the system isn't on my list.
I guess my point is that the threshold seems way too low, though I get that it's already a threshold for other income. Seems pretty easy for anyone to sell like 600 bucks of used stuff and to have to try to go back and get the cost basis of it seems a little harsh.
Old 01-03-22, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 156 Likes on 136 Posts

Well, it looks like I am the thousandth person to note that my prime dislike about 2021 is not Covid, but so many folks willing to believe in The Big Lie.

Even my dad's being diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer is not number one on my things I disliked in 2021 list, because at least my Dad is working with and listening to the pros who have laid out a treatment regimen in the hopes of increasing his odds (he is going through radiation/chemo therapy as I type this out), but the folks who bought into The Big Lie are doing nothing to shake off their ignorance and continue to not try and get educated and understand that they have been fed a ton of bullshit by Trump and they are just gobbling it up, if some of these folks would stop believing in such obvious BS they would not even be on my list of stuff that sucked in 2022.

Old 01-03-22, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What an absolute pain in the ass it is traveling to foreign countries is with covid.
That and a complete mess our government (The Netherlands) is making with just about every single damn topic I can think of.
Old 01-03-22, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 750 Likes on 530 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
Looking back this year wasn't really that terrible for me. I should be a lot happier but I'm just not feeling it.

My dad was diagnosed with parkinsons this year. He's doing okay but just another reminder how old he's getting. He finally retired (was kind of pushed out).

Work sucks. We still have a lot of challenges with the ongoing pandemic but now it feels like we've been abandoned. There isn't the outpouring of support there was for healthcare workers like there was at the beginning of the pandemic. We're short staffed. We're a revolving door for pharmacy technicians now as we can't keep any because they aren't paid enough. Luckily we don't have it as bad as the nurses do. Work isn't supporting us like they were before. Basically only the nurses got a paybump. At least we did get our annual pay raise but they also cut our sell back. We used to be able to sell back our PL time at 100% and now they just suddenly and arbitrarily dropped it to 75%. Sorry this is coming off as a bitch fest. I know all this stuff is pretty minor and inconsequential. I really should feel grateful. I just don't.
Your dad being diagnosed with Parkinson's is not inconsequential, nor are the work-related stressors. I wish you the best.
Originally Posted by smg669
Getting diagnosed with cancer. That was not fun.
I remember you mentioned a few weeks ago in another thread the discovery of a large mass in your chest. How are you doing?
tanman (01-03-22)
Old 01-03-22, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

that close to 1000 homes in my community just went up in fire in a matter of hours.
Old 01-03-22, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
that close to 1000 homes in my community just went up in fire in a matter of hours.
I’m a bit further north but that is still unbelievable to me. You expect to see that in mountain communities, it’s something completely different when it’s a suburban neighborhood just like mine that gets taken out completely by a grass fire.
Old 01-03-22, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
As I was prepping to go back to school this week, I was thinking something along those same lines earlier today. Here we have this wonderful tool that can take us all over the world and connect us to things we would never otherwise experience, but most people choose to use the internet to make the world smaller instead of bigger.
Yes, we live in an age of "unlimited information," yet the signal-to-noise ratio is very, very low. Yes, sometimes it *is* possible to have too much of something (information). Not having everything 'instantly available" would help us go a long way to disseminating what is relevant* and "appropriate* to actually know, for it would take some real time and effort to properly assimilate the pertinent information. Like it did pre-internet, and pre-social media. You ruminated on "information" more, you figured out for yourself if what you were hearing and / or reading was reliable, or some crackpot, dribble propaganda. There was usually context, which is all-but lacking now.

During the age of the dinosaur, when I actually read newspapers, there was this section called the "opinion" pages. That was clearly marked, and it consumed about 1/50th or less of the entire paper. Now, it seems the other way around, and the "opinion" page of the news now is 49/50ths of what's proferred as "news" -- AND it's no longer labelled "opinion". It's that magical 1/50th which is actually useful news!
Old 01-03-22, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Your dad being diagnosed with Parkinson's is not inconsequential, nor are the work-related stressors. I wish you the best.
Thanks Norm. I appreciate that.

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
That's crazy. That's so sad. Hope you're doing okay.

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Yes, we live in an age of "unlimited information," yet the signal-to-noise ratio is very, very low. Yes, sometimes it *is* possible to have too much of something (information). Not having everything 'instantly available" would help us go a long way to disseminating what is relevant* and "appropriate* to actually know, for it would take some real time and effort to properly assimilate the pertinent information. Like it did pre-internet, and pre-social media. You ruminated on "information" more, you figured out for yourself if what you were hearing and / or reading was reliable, or some crackpot, dribble propaganda. There was usually context, which is all-but lacking now.

During the age of the dinosaur, when I actually read newspapers, there was this section called the "opinion" pages. That was clearly marked, and it consumed about 1/50th or less of the entire paper. Now, it seems the other way around, and the "opinion" page of the news now is 49/50ths of what's proferred as "news" -- AND it's no longer labelled "opinion". It's that magical 1/50th which is actually useful news!
This. All of this. I think this really will be our downfall. When everything is ad based and based on clicks and engagement there's no incentive anymore for accurate reporting. True news reaches us in an instant. Everything is live. But we've lost the filter of getting that information from sources that had something to lose if they got it wrong. Newspapers, the evening news, even tabloids at least have a reputation to uphold. In the case of tabloids at least you knew they were tabloids. Now it's difficult for me to distinguish what's real and what isn't a lot of times let alone others that don't scrutinize their sources or information as much. Even our mainstream news sources with reputations to uphold have fallen into this routine where they have to cater to a certain audience to keep their numbers up. And even they are using social media to present news. Just because a few people bitch on twitter doesn't mean you should print that as if the whole country feels that way. That kind of "news reporting" really REALLY pisses me off.
Old 01-04-22, 01:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
I remember you mentioned a few weeks ago in another thread the discovery of a large mass in your chest. How are you doing?
I'm as good as can be expected. I start chemotherapy next week. Should be plenty of fun.
Norm de Plume (01-04-22)
Old 01-04-22, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by smg669 View Post
I'm as good as can be expected. I start chemotherapy next week. Should be plenty of fun.
Not the news we wanted to hear. I'm sorry you have to go through this. Wishing you nothing but better health and a recovery. Stay strong I'll be thinking of you.
Norm de Plume (01-04-22)
Old 01-04-22, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by smg669 View Post
Good luck and God speed. Our health is our most precious thing. Please stay strong.
Norm de Plume (01-04-22)
Old 01-04-22, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
. But we've lost the filter of getting that information from sources that had something to lose if they got it wrong. Newspapers, the evening news, even tabloids at least have a reputation to uphold. In the case of tabloids at least you knew they were tabloids. Now it's difficult for me to distinguish what's real and what isn't a lot of times let alone others that don't scrutinize their sources or information as much.
That's so true, and that's the travesty. Edward R. Murrow, Cronkite, and perhaps even the original yellow journalist himself, William Randolf Hearst, are all reeling in their graves no doubt... They all upheld their own brands of integrity, and they all knew their audience. Ted Koppel is perhaps the last living journalist who cuts to the chase, gets past the bullshit, and still asks the hard questions, without an obviously slanted agenda or "fake news" vibe. But, he's pretty much retired now, so he's probably reeling as well.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.