This thread will make you feel OLD

Other Talk "Otterville"

This thread will make you feel OLD

Old 01-04-22, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 561 Likes on 358 Posts
Re: This thread will make you feel OLD

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I remember walking home from school with a friend and he mentioned he read about this thing called a "modem" that you could get for the commodore vic-20 where we could call each other, connect the handset to that, and type stuff back and forth. We both got one (they were very expensive so I had to do a lot of begging for it) and when we hooked it up we said hello back and forth and then "now what?". Little did we know we were among the first to jump into the beginnings of what would eventually become the internet with running a BBS and setting up multi-BBS email exchanges, doors, etc..
I'm still patting myself on the back for the time my team got up to a level 5 citadel in a competitive game of Tradewars 2002.
Old 01-04-22, 08:44 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 360 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I have DVDs in my media case older than two of my medical assistants.
That reminds me that most of my co-workers werenít alive when I started working at this hospital. Some of them were born here, so I was possibly working while they were being birthed.
Old 01-04-22, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Of all the changes that have occurred in my life, the one I'm most surprised about is the fall of rock music. I never imagined it would ever end. Bands would come and go but the sports arenas and stadiums stayed full. What we now call classic rock stations played all new songs with classics mixed in. Turn on the radio in '79 and it's Highway to Hell, Flirtin' With Disaster, The Wall, Journey, Springsteen, Stones, all the brand new songs. You couldn't remember when it didn't exist that way and suddenly it's gone. It was a part of everyday life.
All the rock music I listed to as a teen can only be found on "oldies stations" now. I would have never thought rock music would have faded away like it has either. And what passes for Country music is a far cry from what my parents used to listen to when I was growing up. It's been blended up with pop music so much, I can hardly tell the difference between the two.
Old 01-04-22, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 190 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by story View Post
A few friends who are in their early 40s and I have this theory that one of our roles in society is to be a bridge for the pre-digital and post-analog generations.
I remember talk of this a few years ago as Xennials. "Xennials are described as having had an analog childhood and a digital young adulthood."

At 43 this definitely describes myself. VCR's and type writers as a child, but DVD's and internet when I was in College.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xennials

Last edited by stingermck; 01-04-22 at 09:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
story (01-04-22)
Old 01-04-22, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 119 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
I've been referring to us as the "forgotten generation" for awhile. Most of the stories you read talk about Baby Boomers or Millennials/Gen Z with very little mention of Gen X. Companies shifted their marketing strategies almost directly from Baby Boomers to Millennials, with very little focus on Gen X. Corporations started catering their HR strategies from Baby Boomers to Millennials almost the minute the Millennials entered the workforce, despite Gen Xers having a good 10-20 years of experience and being "next in line" for management positions as Baby Boomers were set to retire. You constantly hear about companies wanting to promote younger employees because they're more adept with technology, despite everything mentioned earlier about how Gen Xers know better than anyone how to harness technology because we grew up with the changes. Millennials and Gen Zers are the overwhelming majority of social media users and are the ones with a constant presence on the platforms.
The question is, who exactly are green lighting these promotions of younger employees?

Could it be that not enough of the genX demographic are in management / hr positions to call the shots on who gets promoted?

A more sinister scenario is that the genX aged individuals in management / hr positions, simply do not trust other folks in their own GenX age demographic? (ie. GenX managers are willing to roll the dice on promoting younger millenials / genZ folks).
The following users liked this post:
story (01-04-22)
Old 01-04-22, 10:25 AM

Received 256 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
The question is, who exactly are green lighting these promotions of younger employees?

Could it be that not enough of the genX demographic are in management / hr positions to call the shots on who gets promoted?

A more sinister scenario is that the genX aged individuals in management / hr positions, simply do not trust other folks in their own GenX age demographic? (ie. GenX managers are willing to roll the dice on promoting younger millenials / genZ folks).
Initially, a lot of it was just trying to retain employees. Xers still valued job security and stability, even though companies had done away with the pension and Rolex after 40 years on the job. They knew millennials would leave if they didnít get what they wanted. So the training was usually to promote the younger employees so that youíd retain their services. It was usually younger Baby Boomers and older Gen Xers following corporate directions. The result was a majority of managers being Millennials who now saw value in advancing other like minded individuals, and couldnít care less about the older cohort and just viewed them as dinosaurs.
Old 01-04-22, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Oh, you mean classical music?
Old 01-04-22, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 252 Likes on 182 Posts

Tom Hanks is now 7 years older than Robert Loggia was when they starred together in Big.
Old 01-04-22, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 330 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Tom Hanks is now 7 years older than Robert Loggia was when they starred together in Big.
That's really not all that jarring to me. Hanks was already 32 when Big was filmed and his age now compared to Loggia then feels like the right ballpark.
It's really most jarring when it applies to when the actor was younger. Like how Will Smith is now older than Uncle Phil was during the whole run of Fresh Prince run, or Macchio is older now than Morita was in Karate Kid.
Old 01-04-22, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 472 Likes on 378 Posts

Also, birthrates dropped precipitously during the late '60s - late '70s when Gen X was at its peak. So, fewer of the Gen X'ers are were born relative to their Boomer and Millennial bretheren. Fewer management positions available for them, and many were "passed by" for the young whippersnappers known as Millennials who are being fast-tracked into management positions right now. And I think you're correct in the Gen X'ers tend not to trust their own, but Millennials have "grouped together" in a way that a Millennial in magagement would surely hire another Mllennial rather than keep on a Gen X'er, etc. Generalizations, sure, but I they do have a nugget of truth in my experience. Gen X still values "job security" over getting ahead, and that's hurting that generation, as it's no longer a value or more upheld in modern society or in practice by employers. Outsourcing has greatly hurt Gen X'ers as well.
Old 01-04-22, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 891 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Of all the changes that have occurred in my life, the one I'm most surprised about is the fall of rock music. I never imagined it would ever end. [...]You couldn't remember when it didn't exist that way and suddenly it's gone. It was a part of everyday life.
I think grunge finally did it in.

In the early 90s, grunge effectively removed all of the posturing and dick-waving from rock music, and many of the adolescent white males who were the primary market for rock music moved onto things like gangsta rap, hip-hop, and the newly commercialized and commodified country music (thanks to Garth Brooks) to get their testosterone fix, and they never looked back.

I was there as it happened. In the late 80s, most kids treated country music as a joke or something that your parents and grandparents listened to, and within a couple of years Garth Brooks hit the mainstream and the kids who would have been into Van Halen a couple of years ago were wearing cowboy hats and striped shirts, and they were actually playing Garth Brooks songs at school dances.

And, even before grunge was a blip on the zeitgeist, a few kids were also getting into gangsta rap (like NWA) around 1990.

Though by that time, rock music was softening... Springsteen and Mellencamp were moving into a more adult contemporary direction, hair metal was fixated on churning out atrocious ballads to get Top 40 play, and Eddie Van Halen had abandoned the guitar for a keyboard.
Old 01-04-22, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 663 Likes on 454 Posts

I would strongly argue that Grunge was/is indeed rock music, and also, that rock music still actually exists.
The following 5 users liked this post by Kurt D:
Abob Teff (01-05-22), Boondock Saint (02-10-22), emanon (01-04-22), majorjoe23 (01-04-22), story (01-09-22)
Old 01-04-22, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I have 50+ people working for me. The gen-x employees are the best problem solvers, and the hardest working. Problems donít control them. They simply find the answer, and move on. No drama.
The following 2 users liked this post by parrotheads4:
story (01-04-22), tanman (01-05-22)
Old 01-04-22, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 891 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
I would strongly argue that Grunge was/is indeed rock music, and also, that rock music still actually exists.
I never said grunge wasn't rock music (though I would classify it as a genre of heavy metal which itself is a genre of rock music), just that it represented a sort of sea change that altered the landscape of rock music.

Rock music (and heavy metal music) still exists, but it isn't the same commercial force it once was, and younger generations don't seem to have the same interest in that their parents and grandparents once did.

Rawk, heavy metal, and punk still exist, but -- to borrow a line from This is Spinal Tap -- their appeal has become more selective. Instead of having a dozen or so arena-sized acts releasing albums and touring at any given time, you have hundreds of smaller-venue and club acts.
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
Kurt D (01-04-22), Norm de Plume (01-05-22)
Old 01-04-22, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 663 Likes on 454 Posts

I never said grunge wasn't rock music (though I would classify it as a genre of heavy metal which itself is a genre of rock music), just that it represented a sort of sea change that altered the landscape of rock music.

Rock music (and heavy metal music) still exists, but it isn't the same commercial force it once was, and younger generations don't seem to have the same interest in that their parents and grandparents once did.

Rawk, heavy metal, and punk still exist, but -- to borrow a line from This is Spinal Tap -- their appeal has become more selective. Instead of having a dozen or so arena-sized acts releasing albums and touring at any given time, you have hundreds of smaller-venue and club acts.
no, you didn't say grunge wasn't rock, only that it 'finally did [rock] in' - so, suicide?

I'm just playing a bit. Rock isn't dead, it just has less market share ...
Old 01-09-22, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 561 Likes on 358 Posts

Old 01-10-22, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 669 Likes on 471 Posts

Metal went way underground in the 90's and stayed there ever since but it's still going strong in it's niche. The amount of metal bands and albums coming out today is staggering, it's impossible to keep up with it all. It's all far, far from the mainstream these days, but there is A LOT of it.
Old 01-10-22, 10:41 AM

Received 119 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Metal went way underground in the 90's and stayed there ever since but it's still going strong in it's niche. The amount of metal bands and albums coming out today is staggering, it's impossible to keep up with it all. It's all far, far from the mainstream these days, but there is A LOT of it.
Anybody can release their own album or single nowadays.

The hard part is whether anybody else is listening to it, besides one's friends/family.
Old 01-10-22, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 876 Likes on 663 Posts

An alarmingly high percentage of the people in my social circles listen to metal. It's bigger than folks think.
Old 01-10-22, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 653 Likes on 457 Posts

Just as any illiterate can self-publish a book and peddle it on Amazon with inflated ratings and reviews from friends and family. I miss the quality-control intermediary role played by a robust publishing industry. It's infuriating to spend money on a book so poorly written, it would fail as a third-grade writing assignment.
The following 3 users liked this post by Norm de Plume:
AGuyNamedMike (01-28-22), danwiz (01-11-22), morriscroy (01-11-22)
Old 01-11-22, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 187 Likes on 143 Posts

There are now teenagers who have never seen analog TV. Blu-Ray is almost old enough to drive, yet its less-evolved sibling DVD still exists at age 25.
Old 01-11-22, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 289 Likes on 205 Posts

Not sure if this makes me feel younger or older, but I just realized that when our newborn reaches 79 years of age, it'll be a new century, the year 2100!
Old 01-11-22, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The hard part is whether anybody else is listening to it, besides one's friends/family.
Oh yeah, I'm sure that's a big reason behind the flood of recent releases. For every really good release, there are probably 100 or more mediocre (or less) releases.

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
An alarmingly high percentage of the people in my social circles listen to metal. It's bigger than folks think.
Hey now, why do you say "alarmingly"?

Old 01-11-22, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 876 Likes on 663 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post

Hey now, why do you say "alarmingly"?
Sorry, wrong phrase , lol. Just that I don't have a huge circle of friends and the percentage of that small amount that likes metal is really high. I meant more along the lines of "surprising statistical anomaly"
Old 01-11-22, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Sorry, wrong phrase , lol. Just that I don't have a huge circle of friends and the percentage of that small amount that likes metal is really high. I meant more along the lines of "surprising statistical anomaly"
Ha ha, I get you, that does seem statistically high based on what you are saying. Outside of when I'm at concerts, I don't meet many other metalheads in my travels.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.