Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

New FDA-Approved Eye Drug Can Improve Close-Up Vision and Reduce Need for Reading Glasses

Other Talk "Otterville"

New FDA-Approved Eye Drug Can Improve Close-Up Vision and Reduce Need for Reading Glasses

Old 12-13-21, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 471 Likes on 377 Posts
Re: New FDA-Approved Eye Drug Can Improve Close-Up Vision and Reduce Need for Reading Glasses

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
Since when did making a profit become evil? We want drug companies to make a profit. Because guess what happens if they don't? They shutter their doors and NO DRUGS GET MADE. How is that a positive thing?
In a strict sense, you're of course correct, and I can't argue with your logic. We do indeed want new drugs to be made and for research to continue. However, need I only say "Sachler family" and "opioids" as one example where there was a definite evil collusion between the drug companies, doctors, and (addicted) patients? There have been countless other examples of egregious and over-the-top greed by pharmaceutical companies as well. Yes, I know you're in the industry, and this is not to denigrate either you or the hard work that you -- and many, many others do. However, when I see things like a "new" preparation and indication of pilocarpine costing $80 for a month's supply, I get truly miffed and upset at the patently obvious cash-grab.

These companies are NOT hurting. They can afford to sell drugs at 1/10th the cost of the "full-retail" US customer price. I gave some examples above. I can go mail-order to Mexico, Canada, India, Thailand, etc and get prescription drugs for 1/5th to 1/10th the US price. Sure, you argue, some of these places are scams, and I acknowlege this. However, for things like insulin, diazepam, permethrin, statins, ACE-inhibitors, etc, there are many which are completely vouched for. Yes, I'd rather pay $50 for a year's aggregate supply of statin vs. $600 for a prescription filled in the USA. The companies themselves "subsidize" their so-called cheap international market by intentionally making prices for US-sourced product sky-high. If there are ways, around this issue, I'm going to take them, legality or morality be damned...

That's the "evil". It's so-called rampant, out of control capitalism which makes many drugs only affordable to the extremely wealthy. Drugs should be affordable for all. I'm no bleeding-heart, trust me, but this is an issue I feel strongly about. When you've got a *ten*-factor cost disparity between the same drugs being sold in the USA vs the rest of the world, there's a problem, Virginia! And, Nick above makes the point eloquently and succinctly...
Old 12-13-21, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 274 Likes on 219 Posts
Re: New FDA-Approved Eye Drug Can Improve Close-Up Vision and Reduce Need for Reading Glasses

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
If you had to deal with the BS of bifocals making it harder to see when you drive you might be more apt to take this. I will deal with bifocals as I only need readers for very fine print at this point but down the road, it might be a useful option for me.
I started a thread about this. I just got my first pair of bifocals and still need to buy a pair of distance glasses.
Old 12-17-21, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 614 Likes on 438 Posts

I use progressives, I'm fine with the reading part, it's the distance part I'd want to get rid of, especially when I play sports (I can't wear contacts). That said, I did temporarily "solve" the distance problem with... cataracts! Much to my surprise, I realized last year that I could see the tv and read subtitles better without my glasses than with them, which prompted a wtf??? My ophtalmologist laughed when I told him and said it's because of cataracts. Of course that benefit will go away next year when I'm supposed to have the cataracts removed, and at the same time, have a small tube inserted to keep some canal open to treat glaucoma (reduce eye pressure). So at the moment, I have bifocals which cataracts have rendered useless, except for reading.

I already take three different types of drops for glaucoma, I ain't taking more unless they not only cure short sightedness but also allow me to shoot lasers out of my eyes.

Last edited by eXcentris; 12-17-21 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-17-21, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

For those with bifocals, have you tried progressives?
Old 12-17-21, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 274 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Insurance wouldn't cover it.
Old 12-17-21, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 614 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
I edited my post, I use progressives, not bifocals. Doh! That said, I have no insurance.
Old 12-21-21, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 486 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
In a strict sense, you're of course correct, and I can't argue with your logic. We do indeed want new drugs to be made and for research to continue. However, need I only say "Sachler family" and "opioids" as one example where there was a definite evil collusion between the drug companies, doctors, and (addicted) patients? There have been countless other examples of egregious and over-the-top greed by pharmaceutical companies as well. Yes, I know you're in the industry, and this is not to denigrate either you or the hard work that you -- and many, many others do. However, when I see things like a "new" preparation and indication of pilocarpine costing $80 for a month's supply, I get truly miffed and upset at the patently obvious cash-grab.

These companies are NOT hurting. They can afford to sell drugs at 1/10th the cost of the "full-retail" US customer price. I gave some examples above. I can go mail-order to Mexico, Canada, India, Thailand, etc and get prescription drugs for 1/5th to 1/10th the US price. Sure, you argue, some of these places are scams, and I acknowlege this. However, for things like insulin, diazepam, permethrin, statins, ACE-inhibitors, etc, there are many which are completely vouched for. Yes, I'd rather pay $50 for a year's aggregate supply of statin vs. $600 for a prescription filled in the USA. The companies themselves "subsidize" their so-called cheap international market by intentionally making prices for US-sourced product sky-high. If there are ways, around this issue, I'm going to take them, legality or morality be damned...

That's the "evil". It's so-called rampant, out of control capitalism which makes many drugs only affordable to the extremely wealthy. Drugs should be affordable for all. I'm no bleeding-heart, trust me, but this is an issue I feel strongly about. When you've got a *ten*-factor cost disparity between the same drugs being sold in the USA vs the rest of the world, there's a problem, Virginia! And, Nick above makes the point eloquently and succinctly...
Oh I totally agree with you 100%. You might be surprised but most pharmacists hate new drugs. (To make a gross generalization) They're untested (relative to the data available on older medications), super expensive, and it just makes our job just a little more complicated. Plus we've been there before and have heard all the promises that new drugs bring. A lot of times they end up unfulfilled. There are some we get excited about like new antibiotics to fight resistant bacteria, or new drugs with proven mortality benefit. But oftentimes the new drugs that come out are a lot like this one. Plus we don't get paid for what we recommend (unless you work for the industry) so it's not like we get paid for suggesting expensive drugs. We love saving money. Generics and $4 drug lists are our friend. I wasn't really defending the drug companies (well I guess I was a little). My intent was to explain the process. Also I hate when people just generically say "The pharmaceutical companies only care about making a profit." It's just a pedantic argument that doesn't change anything. It's much more useful to attack certain things that they do that's bad like insulin prices as you already brought up.

I just had an appointment with my optometrist (because I'm such a procrastinator) and asked what her opinion was on this drug. She doesn't see the benefit and thinks it's pretty ridiculous as well. She said she has quite a few patient's that can't tolerate pilocarpine or have side effects from using it and that's for something important like glaucoma. So she can't really see recommending this drug to her patients.

Last edited by tanman; 12-21-21 at 04:45 AM.
Old 01-21-22, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 486 Likes on 349 Posts

This is a pretty good video explaining how these eye drops work.

Last edited by tanman; 01-21-22 at 05:10 AM.
Old 01-21-22, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 785 Likes on 513 Posts

So all it does is contract your pupils. You're running around with your iris set at f22.

Anyone who did photography using a camera with manual settings knows that a smaller aperture creates greater depth of field, but it greatly reduces the amount of light. It will be hard to see at twilight or in a dim room.
Old 01-21-22, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,868 Likes on 1,884 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
So all it does is contract your pupils. You're running around with your iris set at f22.

Anyone who did photography using a camera with manual settings knows that a smaller aperture creates greater depth of field, but it greatly reduces the amount of light. It will be hard to see at twilight or in a dim room.
If you do the drops in the morning that wouldn't be an issue.
Old 01-21-22, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Has anyone tried red light therapy for their declining eyesight?
My close up sight has fallen off a cliff this past year. I have an appointment in March to get my eyes checked (not sure why the wait times are so incredibly long for a damn vision check), but was curious if anyone had tried it.