DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   YouTube no longer shows dislikes (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/654288-youtube-no-longer-shows-dislikes.html)

andicus 11-30-21 04:29 PM

YouTube no longer shows dislikes

Well, this really sucks. You can still 'dislike' a video, but you can't see the number of dislikes.

Dislikes were helpful in determining whether the video you're checking out is actually worth watching. I use that input when looking for things like 'how-to' videos, or reviews.

The way it works now, only the uploader can see the number of dislikes, while other users can only see the number of likes.

Fucking stupid.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...3dd14c9baa.png

emanon 11-30-21 04:34 PM

Re: YouTube no longer shows dislikes

Dislike.

andicus 11-30-21 04:42 PM

Indeed. I'm not sure if they're phasing this in, as I already don't see the count, but someone pointed this out, on the video to announce this decision:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...fb7b643841.png

milo bloom 11-30-21 04:57 PM

Yeah, it's like how RottenTomatoes had to crack down on early reviews that were simply people brigading a movie because they didn't like the actress (the Brie Larson effect, if you will).

While I don't like the general idea, for me it's super important because I have certain YouTubers I watch most of the time and I rarely have cause to downvote anything they do. If I take issue with a video, then I'll just downvote it and I don't really need to know how many others have downvoted it.

DJariya 11-30-21 05:01 PM

It was done apparently to prevent trolling on videos. Sony was bombarded with dislike bombing because people were screaming for a Spider-Man trailer. So the trolls dislike bombed all those unrelated videos. The content creator can see the dislikes, only you can’t.

I know it doesn’t help the viewer if you’re curious about a 25 minute video about a certain topic that could suck.

Dan 11-30-21 05:08 PM

I agree that it can (sometimes) be a good gauge for if a video is worth watching, like DIY type of stuff, as already mentioned. There's a lot of junk videos out there that are just a text-to-speech voiceover over top of stock footage of something. Pure trash.

That said, I think the benefit of removing the stats from public view far outweighs the negatives. Plus, I expect that, if/when the person who uploaded the videos leaves the ability to comment open, there will be someone who will post "DISLIKE" (just like how folks post "FIRST!" as a badge of honor), and they'll count all the likes on that comment, so they can run off to their little hate-watching circles to pat themselves on the back for circumventing the system.

cultshock 11-30-21 05:09 PM

Fucking trolls ruin everything. -ohbfrank-

eXcentris 11-30-21 05:34 PM

^ Yup, dislike bombings and review bombings because idiots with no lives get their feelings hurt.

Nick Danger 11-30-21 06:38 PM

Pew Die Pie first became famous by having the most disliked video in history, and parlayed that into becoming a millionaire. It sounds like YouTube has decided to block that career path for everyone else.

I use the like/dislike ratio to evaluate if I want to watch tutorial videos.

tonyc3742 11-30-21 07:03 PM

I think it's a great idea and one small step to mitigating the impact of the many many hateful people on the internet.
I can see a benefit in the viewer seeing likes/dislikes to potentially gauge their interest in the video, but the potential negative impact of dislikes is greater than the potential positive, in my opinion.
I'll admit I don't youtube much, and when I do, I usually know exactly what or who I'm looking for; if I don't, I tend to skip through the content to see if I actually want to watch it.

AGuyNamedMike 11-30-21 07:44 PM

I've seen the dislike brigades deploy thousands of downvotes against such innocuous videos as a TV news interview about a health fair that just happened to include a small walk-in vaccination clinic.

If hiding dislikes keeps just one asshole's opinion off my radar, I'm game. Fuck that guy.

RichC2 11-30-21 08:16 PM

I get why they did it but agree it's terrible for how to vids. I'll have to read comments.

andicus 11-30-21 08:29 PM

Regardless of how useful many find it, I think we can all agree on one thing... It all comes down to what YouTube thinks will earn them more money. They really don't give a shit about someone getting their feelings hurt because they received dislikes. They (the uploader) can still see those dislikes.

IMO it's a terrible idea. It certainly makes it a bigger pain in the ass for what I like to do. Strictly as a watcher, there are zero benefits to this.

And, yeah, as a result, we're going to see a lot more negative comments, instead of dislikes.

MLBFan24 11-30-21 08:42 PM

A videoís likes vs. dislikes are completely irrelevant to me.

However, I do notice ďviewsĒ when browsing for videos.

Dimension X 11-30-21 08:50 PM

I mostly watch YouTube on my TV (with Roku) and it doesn't show likes or dislikes (or comments), so this doesn't affect me. Why hide dislikes only, and not both (likes and dislikes)?

Sonic 11-30-21 08:58 PM

It illustrates that in the USA positivity far exceeds negativity. Many platforms cannot handle negatives otherwise it stagnates growth.

Draven 12-01-21 12:50 AM

This is great. Now we just need to get rid of comments across social media. Too many people think they need to weigh in on everything and they justÖdonít.

Alan Smithee 12-01-21 12:59 AM

I donít usually pay attention to those figures anyways, but I always make sure to hit Dislike if the video has any technical issues- eg logo bugs, 4x3 stretched to 16x9, inexcusably awful quality masters or the laziest of all, shot with a camera off a TV. I never crap on a movie I donít happen to like, I usually donít watch trailers for movies I havenít seen anyways. Most of what I upload is old TV commercials and stuff like that, some of it gets dislikes and I wonder why. I never dislike other such uploads if I just donít like the commercial itself, only if there are any technical issues.

Funny thing is I donít always hit Like on videos I do like because for some reason it bugs me that they all show up in a list, and also when watching on any TV apps I have Autoplay on and donít have time to hit Like before the next one plays. If I hit Dislike I donít care if the interface covers the picture while doing that and I usually stop watching then.

JoeySeven 12-01-21 01:35 AM

well, fuck them.
Like when they got rid of the message boards over at IMDB.
It would have been hard, but they could have weeded out the trolls and had new accounts first 5 or so posts be approved before being posted.
Or something along those lines.

Return YouTube Dislike

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...feippi/related

andicus 12-01-21 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by JoeySeven (Post 14019348)
well, fuck them.
Like when they got rid of the message boards over at IMDB.
It would have been hard, but they could have weeded out the trolls and had new accounts first 5 or so posts be approved before being posted.
Or something along those lines.

Return YouTube Dislike

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...feippi/related

I suspect this will be disabled, at some point, but thanks for sharing it. At least it works, for now.

story 12-01-21 08:29 AM

Anonymous negative feedback helps no one.

I'm all for the elimination of "dislike" from YouTube. I don't expect the world to be Pollyanna, but there's enough negativity out there already without giving trolls the means to do their anonymous garbage.

This move may even save a few lives in the process.

Timber 12-01-21 08:48 AM

Why should likes outweigh dislikes? If you're going to hide one you should hide them all. Both are subject to being manipulated.

cultshock 12-01-21 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Dimension X (Post 14019241)
I mostly watch YouTube on my TV (with Roku) and it doesn't show likes or dislikes (or comments), so this doesn't affect me. Why hide dislikes only, and not both (likes and dislikes)?

Me too, 99% of my YouTube viewing is on Roku on my TV, so I don't see any likes, comments, etc. which is perfectly ok with me.

andicus 12-01-21 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by story (Post 14019393)
Anonymous negative feedback helps no one.

I'm all for the elimination of "dislike" from YouTube. I don't expect the world to be Pollyanna, but there's enough negativity out there already without giving trolls the means to do their anonymous garbage.

This move may even save a few lives in the process.

As I've already stated, it helps me. You're assuming that there is no legitimate negative feedback, and that all negative feedback is from trolls.

The way it is now, there can be a completely factually incorrect video posted, and people will only see the 'likes' for the video, giving it some credence.

AGuyNamedMike 12-01-21 11:52 AM

I'd be down for eliminating both likes and dislikes.

Ooooorrr limiting like and dislike buttons (and the tally visibility) to channel subscribers only and making the buttons a part of comment submission, so they at least have to say something.