YouTube no longer shows dislikes

Other Talk "Otterville"

YouTube no longer shows dislikes

Old 12-01-21, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 881 Likes on 668 Posts
Re: YouTube no longer shows dislikes

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post
I'd be down for eliminating both likes and dislikes.

Ooooorrr limiting like and dislike buttons (and the tally visibility) to channel subscribers only and making the buttons a part of comment submission, so they at least have to say something.
That's a great idea. Make people invest in the channel.
The following users liked this post:
story (12-01-21)
Old 12-01-21, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 256 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
As I've already stated, it helps me. You're assuming that there is no legitimate negative feedback, and that all negative feedback is from trolls.

The way it is now, there can be a completely factually incorrect video posted, and people will only see the 'likes' for the video, giving it some credence.
This was my complaint when Facebook implemented the Like button but didn't include a Dislike button and how has that worked out over the past 10-15 years? Some people need to see when they're being idiots instead of only getting positive reinforcement.
The following users liked this post:
andicus (12-01-21)
Old 12-01-21, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Again, the reason they don't put dislike buttons is because more often than not people just use it to brigade against something they don't like, not because it's actually problematic or contains errors. Like how people used to use Rotten Tomatoes to attack any movie that they felt was too "woke" or had a female lead that wasn't to their liking (again, the Brie Larson effect).

There's very few instances where the dislike button has been used for good, like when the developers of some Star Wars game posted on Reddit about a new game that was going to have micro-transactions and it became one of the most downvoted posts ever and made them reconsider how they would do the game.
Old 12-01-21, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 404 Likes on 317 Posts

I guess it depends on the kind of content. DIY videos don't tend to have a group of people disliking them due to some grudge. Likewise with reviews. It's because they're either not useful, or they're factually incorrect.

Yet another example of idiots ruining something useful, and instead of dealing with the idiots, broad changes are made that take a useful feature away from others. As JoeySeven said, it's like IMDB removing the message boards.
Old 12-01-21, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 256 Likes on 184 Posts

Yeah, I'm thinking more along the lines of smaller scale stuff like your next door neighbor posting videos of him blabbering on about some nonsense while sitting in traffic. You need the 100 people to dislike that so he can see that the 7 people who liked it are outliers so he quits posting the stupid crap. Then extrapolate that across all the next door neighbors like him around the world.
Old 12-02-21, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 179 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
This is great. Now we just need to get rid of comments across social media. Too many people think they need to weigh in on everything and they just…don’t.

That is probably the best response you have given to anything ever.
Agree 1000X

Old 12-07-21, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
This is great. Now we just need to get rid of comments across social media. Too many people think they need to weigh in on everything and they just…don’t.
But you have almost 40K posts here. Not that I'm any better...
The following 2 users liked this post by DVD Josh:
andicus (12-07-21), PerryD (12-07-21)
Old 12-08-21, 10:06 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I personally think folks with no content should not be able to post comments on other videos.
Old 12-08-21, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,250 Likes on 897 Posts

I saw the title of the thread and got excited because it would say that "YouTube no longer allows ads."

uBlock origin seems to keep them off of Firefox/Windows, but anything else, like watching YouTube through my blu-ray player or iPad, and they're there, interrupting the video every five minutes.

Apparently, they think I have crooked teeth and Crohn's disease, because it constantly plays Invisalign and Crohn's disease ads. No clue what I've done online to make them think I have Crohn's disease, and I have a few crowns but my teeth have always been straight...
Old 12-08-21, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rduncan View Post
I personally think folks with no content should not be able to post comments on other videos.
That's the same (poorly structured) argument against people not being allowed to critique movies or TV shows if they don't make their own.

I would say along those lines, that requiring you be a member for a while before you can comment would be good, kinda like this forum.
Old 12-08-21, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

They're posting content for: A. To make money and or B. To get comments.

Why would anyone post absent of those 2 options?
Old 12-08-21, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 486 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post
A video’s likes vs. dislikes are completely irrelevant to me.

However, I do notice “views” when browsing for videos.
Have you seen some of the most popular videos on YouTube? I don't really trust the number of views to show that it's a quality video.
Old 12-08-21, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Again, the reason they don't put dislike buttons is because more often than not people just use it to brigade against something they don't like, not because it's actually problematic or contains errors. Like how people used to use Rotten Tomatoes to attack any movie that they felt was too "woke" or had a female lead that wasn't to their liking (again, the Brie Larson effect).

There's very few instances where the dislike button has been used for good, like when the developers of some Star Wars game posted on Reddit about a new game that was going to have micro-transactions and it became one of the most downvoted posts ever and made them reconsider how they would do the game.
I don't know. I think disliking bombing a youtube video is not nearly the same as review bombing a movie. It just doesn't have the same impact. There's no reason not to show dislikes. So what if they dislike bomb a video you just see that it has a ton of dislikes. There's no real downside to it and it give people a chance to voice their opinion on it like the exact video you mentioned. I think they should have kept it.
Old 12-08-21, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by story View Post
Anonymous negative feedback helps no one.

I'm all for the elimination of "dislike" from YouTube. I don't expect the world to be Pollyanna, but there's enough negativity out there already without giving trolls the means to do their anonymous garbage.

This move may even save a few lives in the process.
I agree in general but I don't think a dislike on a YouTube video really counts as negativity. If anything it lets people innocuously express their displeasure without resorting to actual attacks in the comments or something like that. IMO I think it's a simple useful democratic tool.
Old 12-09-21, 02:36 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That’s the world we live in now. Not allowed to show dislike for anyone even dumbass trolls who post terrible videos.

Was thinking maybe the Dallas Cowboys should change their name because it is kind of offensive. Makes them sound immature. Should be the Dallas Cowmen. It could happen. Nothing surprises me anymore.

Last edited by Doctor Kick; 12-09-21 at 03:01 AM.
Old 12-09-21, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
They're posting content for: A. To make money and or B. To get comments.

Why would anyone post absent of those 2 options?
I have four different YouTube channels and have posted hundreds of videos, a mix of complete short films, TV shows and animation, music and news clips, mostly acquired from other sources, few of which would be seen at all if I didn't post them. I haven't made a cent off it and I rarely check for comments. I just want films/TV/news segments that are no longer to be found anywhere to be seen by people.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ash Ketchum:
Alan Smithee (12-09-21), Doctor Kick (12-09-21), milo bloom (12-09-21)