Reload this Page >

Hundreds of FedEx packages found dumped in ravine in rural Alabama

Other Talk "Otterville"

Hundreds of FedEx packages found dumped in ravine in rural Alabama

Old 12-01-21, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 558 Likes on 356 Posts
Re: Hundreds of FedEx packages found dumped in ravine in rural Alabama

I mean, it might be just the driver throwing away packages for a small number of customers that they hate rather than just dumping a certain number of random packages when they don't feel like working that day. Who knows?
Old 12-01-21, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 469 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
In these days with everyone struggling to find workers? I've personally found the competence levels of employees in various industries have gone straight downhill, no one seems to give a shit anymore. Companies are just happy to hire someone with a pulse these days.
Are you kidding me? This 'trend' has been ongoing for at least 20 years now. It's not able to get much worse. I suppose that hiring known criminals for jobs where responsibility and trust is required (eg, mail industry, accounting, handling cash, etc) is the logical last straw in reaching the nadir of this hideous progression.
Old 12-01-21, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

FedEx is out to have the reputation of being undependable. They need to put new statuses out like:
-Arriving very late must be lost
-Delivery date: Maybe
-Arriving possibly next year
-Label Unreadable cause package not found
-Out For Delivery To Garbage Bins
Old 12-11-21, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Former FedEx driver who dumped packages in ravine expected to turn self in

The Alabama FedEx driver who allegedly dumped hundreds of packages into a ravine was expected to turn himself in, Blount County Sheriff Mark Moon said.

The suspect, 22-year-old Deandre Rayshaun Charleston, “admitted to everything,” Moon announced at a news conference.

Charleston allegedly confessed to dumping scores of packages worth a total of nearly $40,000 in the ditch, during five different incidents from Nov. 17 to Nov. 23. According to Moon, Charleston said he was distraught over a death in his family and other personal issues.

“He told our investigator he didn’t take anything, he just unloaded them because he didn’t want to deliver them,” Moon said.

“He was very upfront and it appeared that he was very sorrowful for what he’d done and just admitted he was having some hard times in his life and just made some poor choices,” the sheriff said. “It’s one of those situations where you hate it for the young man, because he did seem very respectful, very polite.”

Nearly 400 packages were found in the ravine, located on private property near Hayden, Alabama, AL.com reported. While some were able to be matched to their intended recipient, about 247 boxes, valued at a total of $25,000, were unidentifiable, according to the outlet.

Charleston was fired by FedEx a day after the discovery was made, WVTM 13 reported.
He was “delivering packages for another company” on Friday, Moon said, but would be taken into custody afterward on five Class D felony warrants for cargo theft.

“I hope this is a life lesson that can change him, give him a better work ethic, a better understanding of other people’s needs, so he can move on from this and become a thriving citizen in our state,” Moon added.

Source
To me it's a pussy excuse he's using. The proper thing was driving back to FedEx dock and tell his manager he is going through some deep shit and can't deliver the packages.
The following users liked this post:
Norm de Plume (12-12-21)
Old 12-15-21, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Well, their drivers are at it again..........

FedEx driver charged after being seen throwing packages into wooded area, NC cops say (msn.com)

Is there any point in sending things FedEx anymore if there's a much higher chance in them just taking people's money for services they don't intend to render?
Old 12-15-21, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm surprised there wasn't an internal investigation prior to the packages being found. Wouldn't a bunch of those packages have been listed as missing or not delivered, and all of them in close location with a single driver handling them all, prompt something? Maybe it had started, and just hadn't gotten very far yet.
Old 12-15-21, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

He could have marked them all delivered, The packages are tracked by scanning them. Once it is scanned it can be tossed out a window, stolen, actually delivered or just left on the truck by mistake and no one would know what happen for real until the package shows up again. However, a driver with a insane number of packages reported missing should have raised a flag. I'm guessing fedex isn't eating the cost. The customer or the business is eating the cost so fedex doesn't give a F.
Old 12-15-21, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Note in my area there was a fedex driver that refused to deliver to homes with signs he didn't. The dummy actually made a youtube or tiktok video at how wasn't delivering packages. His manager knew he was doing this and didn't fire him. He didn't get fire until the video went viral.
Old 12-15-21, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 327 Likes on 231 Posts

We're busting on Fedex, but you gotta figure this is happening with UPS and other delivery services as well.

It's sad that you have to deal with porch-pirates, and even porch-pirate delivery drivers (ie. they take a picture of the package that's been "delivered", and then take the package home for themselves) - but now you have to worry about them just ditching packages in a creek or back alley.
Old 12-15-21, 11:14 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 91 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
This is getting kinda implausible. They have tracking systems that follow these things from start to finish, that means their metrics of what these drivers are doing is not seeing these packages to their final destination. And surely people have been complaining about not getting their stuff, so if their loss prevention team ran all these tracking numbers and saw that it's these couple of drivers doing this, they should have noticed it right away.
I've been having nothin but problems with FedEx delivering things all year and one of the reps I talked to told me the system will show a package out for delivery on the scheduled delivery day, even if it's not on the delivery truck.

I just had a frozen food order that shipped last Tuesday that was supposed to be delivery the next day. It was traveling from the southern part of IL to the Chicago burbs and was listed out for delivery everyday until it finally showed up on Sunday. Everything was spoiled of course by that point.
Old 12-15-21, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,228 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
Note in my area there was a fedex driver that refused to deliver to homes with signs he didn't. The dummy actually made a youtube or tiktok video at how wasn't delivering packages. His manager knew he was doing this and didn't fire him. He didn't get fire until the video went viral.
This guy?

Old 12-15-21, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 908 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
We're busting on Fedex, but you gotta figure this is happening with UPS and other delivery services as well.
One difference is that FedEx Ground drivers don't actually work for FedEx -- that's farmed out via short-term contracts with about 5,600 different companies, and the drivers work as/for independent contractors -- which isn't the case with UPS or the USPS. There's a lot less accountability, especially since FedEx can't be super-hands-on; it doesn't want to be viewed as employing these drivers. Plus UPS and USPS offer benefits that FedEx contractors don't get, their workforces are unionized, and UPS in particular pays drivers higher wages. It's hard to imagine that you're getting the cream of the crop with FedEx Ground. I've definitely had significantly more problems with FedEx than UPS and USPS combined over the past few years. (For one, their Ellenwood, GA hub is a black hole.)

I've certainly read stories about this happening with the Postal Service, though I feel like those are usually about someone's garage filled to the brim with undelivered letters rather than straight-up dumping in a forest/ravine/whatever. Not that that's great, but still...
Old 12-16-21, 05:08 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 187 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post

Didn't take long for that link to get disabled.
Old 12-16-21, 09:44 AM
Premium Member

Received 298 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
Didn't take long for that link to get disabled.
It's still there, that was just a bad link.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fe...den-blm-signs/
morriscroy (12-16-21)
Old 12-16-21, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,228 Likes on 879 Posts

Yeah, the Snopes link I posted somehow got a break ("</br>") stuck on the end.
morriscroy (12-16-21)
Old 12-16-21, 11:04 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 187 Likes on 133 Posts

Wow, didn't even notice that. I just figured snopes had an issue with posting links to that article or something.
Old 12-23-21, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

More good PR for FedEx:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...256796532.html

Sheriff’s office arrests FedEx driver in series of break-ins

A North Carolina delivery driver has been charged in a series of break-ins over several weeks after he was captured on a video surveillance camera inside a home, a sheriff's office said.

The Macon County Sheriff’s Office said multiple thefts had been reported in the Highlands area. A break in the case occurred when a homeowner called to report their surveillance video showed a man wearing shorts who was in their home for a brief time before fleeing when he saw the camera. A news release said the sheriff's office identified the man as a FedEx driver.

Gregory Thomas Bufkin was arrested on multiple charges, including breaking and entering, officials said. Macon County Sheriff Robert Holland said investigators seized several pieces of evidence, including jewelry and firearms. Some of the items seized were found inside Bufkin’s work vehicle, Holland said.

Old 12-23-21, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have had a Fedex package lost since early November, if it weren't scanned in Newark I would have thought it was in this ravine
Old 12-23-21, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JoeyOhhhh View Post
I have had a Fedex package lost since early November, if it weren't scanned in Newark I would have thought it was in this ravine
Plenty of ravines in Newark. Only I think the use the regionalism "shallow grave" or something like that.
Old 12-23-21, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 781 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Plenty of ravines in Newark. Only I think the use the regionalism "shallow grave" or something like that.
Or "the endzone of Giants Stadium".
Old 12-23-21, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 453 Posts

Your Blu-rays were discarded in Section 7F, near Hoffa's skeleton.
Old 12-26-21, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral View Post

It's sad that you have to deal with porch-pirates, and even porch-pirate delivery drivers (ie. they take a picture of the package that's been "delivered", and then take the package home for themselves) - but now you have to worry about them just ditching packages in a creek or back alley.
I will speak to UPS since I have been employed by them for 34 years.

UPS has two types of scans for package locations. Physical scans which means that a person or overhead scanner actually scanned the barcode on the parcel. Logical scans are easier to explain. Small parcel that are sorted into sort bags they get a physical scan in to the bag and the bag get a barcode to identify itself. Sort bags of smalls and parcels get a physical scan into trailer. Logicaly when the sort bag is physical scanned into the trailer so should the small parcel into the trailer. Next when the trailer leaves and arrives at the next facility. If the trailer is sorted to bypass that facility when the trailer leaves the panel logically leaves. Otherwise, the parcel is unloaded and a new physical scan is applied. This repeats until reaching its destination. At the destination, the parcel receives a physical that will print the little white label with LLLL-#### for the route and location in the package car. Last, the preloader gives the last physical scan to the package. Through four bluetooth beacons inside the package car that physical scan is moved to package car and drivers manifest when the loader walk ins.

Now for problems that can occur. The person giving the physical scan can accidentally place it in the wrong trailer or package car. Loads are for placed next to each other distinct differences. Loader in MO pulls two trailer loads - one for say for upstate NY and one for southern CA. They physical scan parcel for NY but accidentally place in CA load. Now until parcel shows logical move to NY but moving to CA. Until parcel arrives in CA the system logical believes that moving to NY.

When drivers physical scan the parcel, the GPS location of the scanner and package car are locked to the physical scan. Once the parcel has a physical scan by a driver its cannot be deleted but voided in manifest but record will still exist.

Old 12-26-21, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Had my own stellar FedEx experience just before Christmas. I ordered $1700 in camera equipment from B&H, it shipped quickly and was delivered quickly. Naturally, it was set to signature required considering the value of the package. Guy never knocked, just left it on my doorstep.
Old 12-26-21, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts

I submitted a bunch of comics over the past year and a half to CGC for grading and encapsulating and just chose FedEx for delivery. If you know the backup, after 8 - 10 months, I'm starting to get some finally coming back home but my FedEx Ground delivery person presigns with a dash and either drops it off or rings the doorbell and walks away. I had one that my security camera showed the driver leaving the truck, ringing my doorbell and then walking back to the truck with the package as no one was home. I got a delivery notification and opened a case with FedEx. The driver delivered the package the next day with another package and basically FedEx doesn't care. They left a message asking if the issue has been resolved and if not, to contact the company that shipped it. At least with UPS, I can pre-sign and designate where to leave it and haven't had any issues. FedEx Sucks.
Old 01-04-22, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nearly 600 Amazon packages found dumped in Oklahoma on New Year's Eve

Officials found almost 600 Amazon packages dumped in Oklahoma City on New Year's Evethat were supposed to be delivered by Christmas.

The Oklahoma County Sheriff's Office wrote in a Facebook post that the packages were found in a rural part of northeast Oklahoma City and that someone took the items they wanted and discarded the rest.

"Apparently the thief isn't much of a reader...the books that were being delivered were left behind," the OCSO wrote.

Tracking numbers showed the packages left from the Amazon facility to go to USPS for delivery but never arrived. The sheriff's office asked for people who were missing packages not to call them, and instead someone from USPS or Amazon would contact them soon.

Recently, there have been multiple reports of delivery drivers dumping packages. Last month, an Alabama man and former contract driver for FedEx admitted to dumping hundreds of packages in a ravine in November.

Another former FedEx delivery driver was arrested and charged in North Carolina after police said he dumped packages in the woods instead of delivering them, according to WCNT.

Source
Another dump.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.