Reload this Page >

Letís talk passports

Other Talk "Otterville"

Letís talk passports

Old 01-04-22, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 119 Likes on 106 Posts
Re: Letís talk passports

In practice, fleeing the jurisdiction is only viable if one is rich enough to have the resources (stashed away in an offshore bank and/or wired via family) to live the rest of one's life as a fugitive without having to be employed. (ie. False identities are getting harder and harder to pull off for long periods of time).
Old 01-04-22, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Online renewals will be able to be had online.
Old 01-04-22, 04:29 PM
Premium Member

Received 632 Likes on 482 Posts

Federal Guvmn’t. What’d ya expect?
Old 01-04-22, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 649 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by OldDude View Post
You can use the expired passport for renewal for five years after the expiry date. The renewal process is MUCH easier than new application. Even if your passport is expired, I recommend renewing before the five years are up.
Good to know. Mine expired back in September.
Old 01-04-22, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 232 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
In practice, fleeing the jurisdiction is only viable if one is rich enough to have the resources (stashed away in an offshore bank and/or wired via family) to live the rest of one's life as a fugitive without having to be employed. (ie. False identities are getting harder and harder to pull off for long periods of time).
Aren't we all rich with a supermodel spouse? We should already have a summer home in another country -- a country without an extradition treaty, as you mentioned?
Old 01-04-22, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 163 Likes on 128 Posts

I saw this on youtube and thought it could fit this thread - fictional movie IDs and passports props!

Old 01-04-22, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 474 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips View Post
Yep. You should always have a valid passport. You never know when you might be subpoenaed to testify in front of a grand jury or the senate and have to leave the county on short notice.
Why? I think this is being paranoid. I let mine expire in 2003, and haven't needed to renew or even briefly considered the matter. Especially in these times, I do not plan on leaving the country any time soon, with all the uncertainties and restrictions, why risk it? As for being subpoenaed, well, I plan on that NOT happening. Why spend $200 to $300 on a passport that you'll never use? Wasted time, money, and effort expended. Who the hell wants to wait hours in a passport line unless it's 100% required?
Old 01-04-22, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 791 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Why? I think this is being paranoid. I let mine expire in 2003, and haven't needed to renew or even briefly considered the matter. Especially in these times, I do not plan on leaving the country any time soon, with all the uncertainties and restrictions, why risk it? As for being subpoenaed, well, I plan on that NOT happening. Why spend $200 to $300 on a passport that you'll never use? Wasted time, money, and effort expended. Who the hell wants to wait hours in a passport line unless it's 100% required?
I know someone who uses her passport as her ID for everything she can. Her reasoning is that if someone does an identity theft on her passport, they will get in trouble with the Feds. They take that seriously, while the local PD won't if a driver's license is copied.
Old 01-05-22, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 474 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I know someone who uses her passport as her ID for everything she can. Her reasoning is that if someone does an identity theft on her passport, they will get in trouble with the Feds. They take that seriously, while the local PD won't if a driver's license is copied.
That's actually a good reason-- for someone who's always on the move, owns a business, or has to expose their ID to public scrutiny very often (ie, multiple times a day at different places, etc). But, who the heck carries a bulky passport book with them as their main form of ID? 1 out of 1000 US citizens?
Old 01-05-22, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 232 Likes on 127 Posts

It was a joke. Apparently not a very good one.
Old 01-05-22, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 119 Likes on 106 Posts

That's actually a good reason-- for someone who's always on the move, owns a business, or has to expose their ID to public scrutiny very often (ie, multiple times a day at different places, etc). But, who the heck carries a bulky passport book with them as their main form of ID? 1 out of 1000 US citizens?
Expats end up doing this when they can't get official id documents in the local jurisdiction they live in. (Independent of whether an expat is a legal or illegal alien).
Old 01-05-22, 09:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You can also use a passport card. Same size as a regular driver's license.
Old 01-05-22, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 601 Likes on 485 Posts

Yep. Though Passport Cards will limit your subpoena evasion tactics as they can't be used for International Air Travel.
Old 01-05-22, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 791 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Yep. Though Passport Cards will limit your subpoena evasion tactics as they can't be used for International Air Travel.
Curses!
Old 02-07-22, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Wow!!! That was fast, my passport book arrived today and I didnít sign up for rush delivery. The card should come soon enough.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (02-07-22)
Old 02-07-22, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 563 Likes on 360 Posts

Slow time of year. There is a rush of applications for people traveling over the holidays and the next rush is spring break so now is a good time to renew.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (02-07-22)
Old 02-11-22, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
I think I know what they were trying to say: it used to be that you could fill out the DS-11 or DS-82 PDF online. If you did, a barcode was printed on the PDF you were required to print and send to the State Department. Presumably, all passport applications are scanned, and if the scanner sees the barcode it knows to use the database information instead of OCRing the paper application. This was supposed to speed up the process. But now they're talking about doing it 100% online, so you don't have to mail new photos and the DS-82 to them at all.