Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Iíve been a forum member almost 22yrs. What have I done with my life?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Iíve been a forum member almost 22yrs. What have I done with my life?

Old 11-29-21, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Iíve been a forum member almost 22yrs. What have I done with my life?

Almost sixteen years and I hardly post.
The following users liked this post:
VinVega (11-30-21)
Old 11-29-21, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 599 Likes on 483 Posts

I got old.
Old 11-29-21, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Been here since 02-01-01

Where the fuck did the time go (and the adult forum)?
Old 11-29-21, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 871 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
If we're being given permission to talk shit about HTF, that was my main online destination in the earlier years, and I always saw this forum as the more juvenile one. Back then HTF's mission statement was to advocate presenting movies the way they were intended, meaning no pan and scan or open-matte, ever. They would ban people who posted anything defending pan and scan. I remember they also had a rule stating "This is an anti-DIVX forum. Any posting that preaches the virtues of DIVX will be removed." Fast forward to now- members and moderators will repeatedly disparage 3D and advocate for seeing 3D movies in 2D (it's fine if you don't like 3D, but any movie made with it should be seen that way and if you don't like that then don't watch it) and also give digital services a little too much free advertising when I still see them as the new DIVX. The abominations that Netflix and Disney Plus commit during credits aren't even acknowledged.

This forum never claimed to take such things seriously, so stuff I strongly disagree with can slide a bit more easy. I had to laugh at all the people back in 99 or so who were still using VHS, now I get laughed at because I'm the last person who still has a VCR hooked up.
I can't defend pan and scan, but I've come to be more understanding about open-matte (despite, or even because of, what my sig says). Things like the animated Disney features that were animated at 1.33 or 1.66 and presented at 1.75 or 1.85 in theaters, but then opened back up for home viewing. Heck, I've even considered buying an open matte version of The Abyss rather than dealing with zooming in a non-anamorphic letterbox transfer.

HTF just didn't have any flexibility in thinking along those lines.
John Pannozzi (12-22-21)
Old 11-29-21, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 602 Likes on 434 Posts

If we're being given permission to talk shit about HTF
Given permission? wtf
Old 11-29-21, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Given permission? wtf
Most of the jet-set, dick-swinging members of the forum have a lot of NDA money from the HTF, looking at the terms of the agreement it seems we are now safe to discuss this without risking our yacht money...
Old 11-29-21, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 602 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
Most of the jet-set, dick-swinging members of the forum have a lot of NDA money from the HTF, looking at the terms of the agreement it seems we are now safe to discuss this without risking our yacht money...
I never knew but I'm happy for those affected... or afflicted.
Old 11-29-21, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Looks like I joined in May of 2004. I showed up here when I was filling out all of those online free trials to stock up on points to then exchange for the boxed set of Neon Genesis Evangelion. I didn't want to pay $200+ dollars for the set. Twikoff had a spreadsheet that helped keep track of them all; dates signed up, links, date to cancel by, points accrued. It was really helpful. I stuck around after that.
Old 11-29-21, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 154 Likes on 118 Posts

If we're being given permission to talk shit about HTF, that was my main online destination in the earlier years, and I always saw this forum as the more juvenile one. Back then HTF's mission statement was to advocate presenting movies the way they were intended, meaning no pan and scan or open-matte, ever. They would ban people who posted anything defending pan and scan. I remember they also had a rule stating "This is an anti-DIVX forum. Any posting that preaches the virtues of DIVX will be removed." Fast forward to now- members and moderators will repeatedly disparage 3D and advocate for seeing 3D movies in 2D (it's fine if you don't like 3D, but any movie made with it should be seen that way and if you don't like that then don't watch it) and also give digital services a little too much free advertising when I still see them as the new DIVX. The abominations that Netflix and Disney Plus commit during credits aren't even acknowledged.

This forum never claimed to take such things seriously, so stuff I strongly disagree with can slide a bit more easy. I had to laugh at all the people back in 99 or so who were still using VHS, now I get laughed at because I'm the last person who still has a VCR hooked up.
They can laugh at me, too. I still watch VHS occasionally.

I'm another one who got fed up with HTF. I was here first and really only started posting there a few years ago, but then I made an innocuous quip in early 2019 about an actress sleeping with the director (referencing a specific case of a few years earlier) and you would have thought I was Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby rolled into one by the way they piled on me. Plus, there was one arrogant supercilious prick who dominated every conversation about a current film with his snide attitude toward those who disagreed with him. It just wasn't worth it.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 11-29-21 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-30-21, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been partying like I joined in 1999...

2634th member to join the website. Only know this when in the past this was revealed for a day or so a long time ago.

Sadly I spend much less time here than I used to.
Old 11-30-21, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 450 Likes on 272 Posts

The biggest problem with HTF was it's heavy dependence on Groupthink. You either goose-stepped along or you got the fuck out. Period.

I once posted an article which contained some lines similar to this (regarding DVD nerds on the Internet): "If you want the lowest possible price, order from Amazon or Reel.com. If you want the fastest possible shipping, go to Best Buy and pick it up on day of release. Pick one and shut the fuck up."

You'd think I was Josef Mengele with all the shit thrown at me for that. Epstein himself threatened to ban me for life. Apparently someone thought I was speaking to them DIRECTLY, not reposting an article.
Old 11-30-21, 10:12 AM
Admin

Received 342 Likes on 219 Posts

I joined this place in my 20's. Yeah, that ship has sailed.
Old 11-30-21, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 782 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by gcribbs View Post
Been partying like I joined in 1999...

2634th member to join the website. Only know this when in the past this was revealed for a day or so a long time ago.

Sadly I spend much less time here than I used to.
Howdy, old timer! I remember you.
Old 11-30-21, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 663 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
The biggest problem with HTF was it's heavy dependence on Groupthink. You either goose-stepped along or you got the fuck out. Period.

I once posted an article which contained some lines similar to this (regarding DVD nerds on the Internet): "If you want the lowest possible price, order from Amazon or Reel.com. If you want the fastest possible shipping, go to Best Buy and pick it up on day of release. Pick one and shut the fuck up."

You'd think I was Josef Mengele with all the shit thrown at me for that. Epstein himself threatened to ban me for life. Apparently someone thought I was speaking to them DIRECTLY, not reposting an article.
Yeah, that place was waaay too fucking uptight. Haven't visited there in years and don't miss it in the least.

Old 11-30-21, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 561 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Yeah, that place was waaay too fucking uptight. Haven't visited there in years and don't miss it in the least.
By the time I stopped going there, I had determined that AVSforum was far superior for hardware reviews/feedback and miles better for practical advice for home theater build-out advice and DVDtalk was much better for talking about DVDs, movies in general or anything at all. The iron hand by which HTF ruled their off topic forum was a bit of a microcosm for how the whole site was run. It was simultaneously offputting and stupid. Good riddance.
John Pannozzi (12-22-21)
Old 11-30-21, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 453 Posts

^ AVSForum is great, I have been a member and very infrequent poster there since the late-'90s or so, but I find it too intimidating in terms of technical knowledge, which I have never bothered to acquire despite having owned a home theatre for almost 30 years now (shame on my dereliction!). I haven't visited that forum in years, but it is (or was) the place to go for expert talk and advice about home theatre equipment. This is really arcane, insider gossip, but anyone remember Bob Utne? He was some guy who used to irritate everyone there 20 years ago, when I frequented AVS.
John Pannozzi (12-22-21)
Old 11-30-21, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,232 Likes on 883 Posts

Yeah, the AVS Forum is way above my pay grade.

It's an excellent resource for technical information if you need it, but I find the place too advanced to be an active participant.
Norm de Plume (12-01-21)
Old 12-01-21, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 187 Likes on 143 Posts

Not all of AVS is ďadvanced,Ē some are people who think they are but really arenít.

I mainly check it for the local TV reception posts, even though most TV is shit I somehow want to know when new sub-channels appear or any changes, like when we had an ATSC 3.0 station added which likely nobody can watch right now from lack of equipment. I still bang my head against the wall at people who actually watch most of the crap on the air though- someone was complaining about frame stuttering on our local ABC station when the network logo bug makes that a moot point anyways.

HTF really started going downhill when they stopped requiring people to use their real names. There was one guy calling himself ďAlfĒ who was just trolling but thankfully got banned. I once flat-out asked someone important there why theyíve been openly embracing digital after being anti-DIVX and they just said they had ďevolvedĒ (granted I use digital more than I ever used DIVX but I still donít like the idea of it replacing physical media and it has many issues that arenít being addressed.) But one moderator there in particular delights in crapping on 3D, watching a 3D movie in 2D is the same as watching any widescreen movie in pan and scan. If you donít like 3D then donít watch it, but donít expect movies to be modified to suit your taste, same as not liking black bars. Forgot to mention this same guy when Disney Plus was about to be launched proclaim that he couldnít wait to see all the sworn never-streamers ďwhiningĒ about it. I shouldíve reported that post but it likely wouldíve just gone to himself.

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 12-01-21 at 01:11 AM.
John Pannozzi (12-22-21)
Old 12-01-21, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
By the time I stopped going there, I had determined that AVSforum was far superior for hardware reviews/feedback and miles better for practical advice for home theater build-out advice and DVDtalk was much better for talking about DVDs, movies in general or anything at all. The iron hand by which HTF ruled their off topic forum was a bit of a microcosm for how the whole site was run. It was simultaneously offputting and stupid. Good riddance.
Agreed, AVSforum was great for the real tech stuff, and this place was great for DVDs, movies and just a cool community. HTF was just dogshit.
Pointyskull (12-01-21)
Old 12-04-21, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 274 Likes on 219 Posts

I still ask for hardware advice over of AVS every so often. People there tend to know their shit. I'm just an average guy who like to fool around with tech so I tend not to obsess over it too much.
AGuyNamedMike (12-06-21)
Old 12-15-21, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 417 Likes on 285 Posts

I can’t believe I joined here in 2008. I know I lurked way longer than that because I remember the See This Girl Skank thread. I already had 1,000 dvds by then. I also can’t remember my first post. I think it was a question about something stupid.
I remember there being a thread about first posts a while back and there was a sneaky way to find them as the search only goes to 20 pages.
Old 12-15-21, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,028 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
I did not know that, very interesting. And that's an over 25-year-old DRM! Pretty scary how bad it *could* be today, yes? But, DVD, Blu-ray, and UHD encryption have been easily cracked. Thankfully we may make personal backup copies without much effort.

And, as to streaming being a sort of "DIVX 2.0" I'm just as baffled as Mr Corvin. Streaming is ridiculous, abysmal quality (bit-starved, low bitrate) hot rubbish and I can't understand for the life of me why people care to support that terrible, awful format. And physical media is on its death knell.

As to the longevity of this forum and my presence, I see that I've been a member for "only" 18 years, but I sure was around during the Reel.com days and the 800.com days, just lurking. And, even though we "thought" paying $13 for a $30 MSRP was a good deal back then, it was actually an awful deal as compared to now. $13 (now around $20-22) for a crappy, possibly non-anamorphic, single-layered DVD5 which by 2021 has probably been re-released 4 or 5 times in better quality? That's a "bad" deal in retrospect. So, we really were just throwing money away back then compared to what we have access to now, in beautiful pristine quality. (streaming, excepted).

Now, I can't even *imagine* any company who would spend the money to mail free popcorn with every order! The expense in shipping alone! No company nowadays would be so "generous."
Yeah, as amazing as some of those early deals were (and for sure those retailers were losing a ton of VC or investor money trying to reel in repeat customers), they are terrible in retrospect. When I first joined, I split my time between this place, HTF, and AnimeonDVD. I remember being so amazed that anime on DVD was able to have both subtitled and dubbed versions on the same disc, but it was still such a niche and expensive genre that we were happy if we got like 5 episodes in a package. Man, how much money did I waste on that era (and the VHS era which was even more ridiculous?)
John Pannozzi (12-22-21)
Old 12-15-21, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Tempus Fugit

Old 12-15-21, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,507 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac View Post
Tempus Fugit
I loved him in Almost Famous.
Michael Corvin (12-17-21)
Old 12-16-21, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I always saw this forum as the more juvenile one.
And we're proud of it.
The following 3 users liked this post by cultshock:
Alan Smithee (12-16-21), morriscroy (12-16-21), Norm de Plume (12-16-21)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.