Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Iíve been a forum member almost 22yrs. What have I done with my life?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Iíve been a forum member almost 22yrs. What have I done with my life?

Old 11-23-21, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 664 Likes on 455 Posts
Re: Iíve been a forum member almost 22yrs. What have I done with my life?

I'm surprised you geezers are able to even use computers!

(I joined because it was the next step for me in making zero money writing about bad movies.)
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (12-22-21)
Old 11-23-21, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hometheaterforum.com exile. Do I have the lowest post count?
John Pannozzi (12-22-21)
Old 11-23-21, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 879 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
The passage of time is a weird thing.

I've been here a hair over twenty-one years. Gulp!

It's like if I had joined in 1969 and was still posting here in 1990. It's almost unthinkable that this place has been around THAT long.

With the 1969 to 1990 analogy, we would have been discussing the Vietnam War, Chappaquiddick, the cancellation of Star Trek, the Moon landing, Nixon's reelection, the Fall of Saigon, Watergate, that new movie coming out called Star Wars, the energy crisis, Iran hostages, Star Trek The Motion Picture, Reagan's election, the assassination attempt against Reagan, the end of the Star Wars trilogy, Reagan's reelection, the Challenger explosion, Top Gun, Chernobyl, Iran-Contra, Star Trek: The Next Generation, the Gulf War... it's almost unthinkable that an internet forum would last that long.

Doesn't seem like 2000 to 2021 has covered that much history, but when I started posting here the World Trade Center was still standing.
In our 21 years weíve seen two more Star Wars trilogies plus tv shows, and also the end of Star Trek and itís eventual rebooting (not to mention the rebooting of Doctor Who. Just since 2005 weíve seen 6 new Doctors (plus the Fugitive Doctor).

I was already married but weíve moved about 4-5 times in the past two decades, had a kid who is 14 now. Iíve been doing the same job since 1997 but my company got merged 3 years ago so itís got a new name.

I was just thinking today Iíve got DVDs older than my kid that Iíve yet to watch. And I keep buying new ones!

Originally Posted by badlieut View Post
Hometheaterforum.com exile. Do I have the lowest post count?
Same, they were just too vicious over there.
John Pannozzi (12-22-21)
Old 11-23-21, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 521 Likes on 245 Posts

Almost 16 years for me. I'm a newbie.
Old 11-23-21, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 892 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
In our 21 years weíve seen two more Star Wars trilogies plus tv shows, and also the end of Star Trek and itís eventual rebooting (not to mention the rebooting of Doctor Who. Just since 2005 weíve seen 6 new Doctors (plus the Fugitive Doctor).
The Star Wars thing has always kind of blown my mind. I remember when Return of the Jedi came out in 1983, and the time between that and The Phantom Menace in 1999 seemed like a lifetime. But the last twenty years seem to have passed in the blind of an eye.

I suppose it's an effect of getting older; the years between ten and twenty seem like an eternity, but as the decades pass, our perspective on time changes and those years just fly by.
John Pannozzi (12-22-21)
Old 11-23-21, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 145 Likes on 117 Posts

Dec. 2000 but I lurked a couple of months before
Old 11-23-21, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 791 Likes on 518 Posts

I bought my house in 1998, joined the forum in 2001, and got married in 2003. Since then, my life's been stable. Same house, same wife, same friends, and same job (until I retired due to Covid). My life isn't dramatic, but I don't like drama. The last twenty years have been good.
Norm de Plume (11-24-21)
Old 11-23-21, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 119 Likes on 106 Posts

The Star Wars thing has always kind of blown my mind. I remember when Return of the Jedi came out in 1983, and the time between that and The Phantom Menace in 1999 seemed like a lifetime. But the last twenty years seem to have passed in the blind of an eye.

I suppose it's an effect of getting older; the years between ten and twenty seem like an eternity, but as the decades pass, our perspective on time changes and those years just fly by.
Sure seems that way. Especially if one went to college at a young age, and graduated before voting age. Too young to be carefree/partying.

John Pannozzi (12-22-21)
Old 11-23-21, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 610 Likes on 430 Posts

May 1999
22 years, 6 months

In that time:
Still lived with parents when I joined. Got married(18 years strong), got a home(now on our third), had a couple kids (now teenagers), and spent a shit ton on DVDs I probably shouldn't have.
Norm de Plume (11-24-21)
Old 11-23-21, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 664 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
Sure seems that way. Especially if one went to college at a young age, and graduated before voting age. Too young to be carefree/partying.
The length of a year as a percentage of one's life gets all fucky as one gets older. Makes time seem to whip by. Also, hey. This seems like a nice forum.
Old 11-23-21, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
The length of a year as a percentage of one's life gets all fucky as one gets older. Makes time seem to whip by. Also, hey. This seems like a nice forum.
In hindsight, I wished my teenage years would have been "slower" and more "carefree".

Doing a university engineering degree in three years as a teenager, drove my perception of time into a complete overdrive. Other folks my age at that time, didn't have to deal with many accelerated time pressures.
Kurt D (11-24-21)
Old 11-23-21, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

@OP
​​Damn you old. I'd hate to be in your shoes.
😇
Old 11-23-21, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

Member for 18 years, but I lurked for years beforehand, probably starting 2000.

I'd never had internet access until I started at my job. Since I didn't have a computer at home (or a TV even), I used to print off threads from here each night to read at home when I was relaxing.
Old 11-23-21, 11:06 PM

The passage of time is a weird thing.

I've been here a hair over twenty-one years. Gulp!

It's like if I had joined in 1969 and was still posting here in 1990. It's almost unthinkable that this place has been around THAT long.

With the 1969 to 1990 analogy, we would have been discussing the Vietnam War, Chappaquiddick, the cancellation of Star Trek, the Moon landing, Nixon's reelection, the Fall of Saigon, Watergate, that new movie coming out called Star Wars, the energy crisis, Iran hostages, Star Trek The Motion Picture, Reagan's election, the assassination attempt against Reagan, the end of the Star Wars trilogy, Reagan's reelection, the Challenger explosion, Top Gun, Chernobyl, Iran-Contra, Star Trek: The Next Generation, the Gulf War... it's almost unthinkable that an internet forum would last that long.

Doesn't seem like 2000 to 2021 has covered that much history, but when I started posting here the World Trade Center was still standing.
(On a tangent).

In regard to your subjective perception of "doesn't seem like 2000 to 2021 has covered that much history", my similar perception of "not covered that much history" goes back further to sometime in the mid 1980's.

I was too young to know anything about Richard Nixon and the fall of Saigon, while the Challenger explosion and Star Trek: TNG feels like a subjective "anhistorical unmemorable blur" to me. (However factually incorrect the latter may be underlyingly).

The short segment of "history" which felt subjectively "real" to me, starts from disco and the Iran hostage crisis, and peters out after the SDI "star wars" missile defense system was in the news and Gorbachev becomes head of state of the ussr.

https://www.atomicheritage.org/histo...initiative-sdi
John Pannozzi (12-22-21)
Old 11-23-21, 11:15 PM
~M~

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought the Toshiba 2109 and it all started there.

Been a lurker since '99
Kurt D (11-24-21)
Old 11-23-21, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,666 Likes on 1,223 Posts

I came across this forum on a Google search and have been a member since August 2002, Once upon a time I was pretty active in TV Talk. However streaming killed traffic in TV Talk and killed interest in new network TV shows.

But yeah I was 29 when I first started visiting here, now I’m 48. I’m still working in the career I enjoy even though I’ve been laid off once and have only worked part time in the last decade.
Old 11-24-21, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 454 Likes on 276 Posts

20 fucking years here and guess what? My 1998 Toshiba 2017 DVD player still works. Thing was a battleship....
AGuyNamedMike (11-24-21)
Old 11-24-21, 06:02 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 189 Likes on 135 Posts

Sucks that I can never participate in these as I've only been here for 11 years, but I've enjoyed being a part of this place. Wish I'd have been here for the earlier insanity.

Oh well, guess I participated anyway...
The following 2 users liked this post by kd5:
John Pannozzi (12-22-21), Michael Corvin (11-24-21)
Old 11-24-21, 06:24 AM

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

August 2000. Wow. I think I joined initially for the DVD bargain codes, clubs (Columbia House) and to find a recommended DVD player. I remember going back and forth between this site and thedigitalbits to read reviews of DVDs and gear. Feels like a lifetime ago...
Old 11-24-21, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 142 Posts

I joined here back in the days when members were poor, had no girlfriends and possessed very small dicks. Looks like I am the only one left who has kept that tradition alive.
The following 6 users liked this post by Jaymole:
AGuyNamedMike (11-24-21), John Pannozzi (12-22-21), jpcamb (11-24-21), Kurt D (11-24-21), Norm de Plume (11-24-21), Sonic (11-25-21) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-24-21, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

I see that I joined on 12/06/2000, so I guess I've been here for nearly 21 years. I don't say much, but I visit every day.
Old 11-24-21, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 312 Posts

It looks like I joined in 2003. I sure thought it was earlier, but I think I lurked for a really long time before joining. And then lurked for a long time more before I started posting with any sort of regularity.

Originally Posted by emanon View Post
Speaking of which, what the name of the place that used to include bags of popcorn with your movie orders?
Wasn't that DVD Express?
Old 11-24-21, 02:52 PM
Premium Member

Received 300 Likes on 210 Posts

^^ DVD Express sometimes included those DVD wrapper cutter things, I still have a few. Can't recall if they did popcorn.
Old 11-24-21, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 187 Likes on 143 Posts

I lurked here a long time before posting. Now I'm a reviewer and have one of the most infamous posts of all time which I had never expected when I first posted it.

Next year will be DVD's 25th anniversary. Not much was done for its 20th. I think that was the last time the home video market was truly exciting, having followed it since the early years of VHS (and laserdisc and CED). I thought for sure any digital video format was not going to work without having tons of compression artifacts and held onto my beloved laserdisc as long as I could- a die-hard LD fan in another state (who is now dead, we talked on the phone a lot but never met) had sworn he would never support DVD but broke down and told me how great it was. I got a DVD/LD combo player and was pleasantly surprised at how good DVD was, loved being able to watch a 2 1/2 hour movie with no side breaks and buying titles for less than $20.

I remember DIVX trying to take over the DVD market and failing miserably, and the threat of DVDs being rental-priced like VHS tapes were but thankfully that never happened. Kind of sad though that some digital movies and services have the same evilness as DIVX but are given more of a pass- it's especially vile how new movies have been made available on digital a few weeks before disc to get people to switch.
John Pannozzi (12-22-21)
Old 11-24-21, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 454 Likes on 276 Posts

Anyone remember the epic "3 DVDs for $1" 800.com promotion of early 1999? Or the DIVX wars? Disney's first four animated DVDs priced at $40 a pop? "Paramount is IN!!"?

Geeze how much of our lives we invested in this thing...
The following 2 users liked this post by Hokeyboy:
Alan Smithee (11-24-21), John Pannozzi (12-22-21)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.