Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Oldest item you still use on a regular basis?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Oldest item you still use on a regular basis?

Old 10-11-21, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 260 Likes on 149 Posts
Re: Oldest item you still use on a regular basis?

Our garden tools belonged to my fiance's Dad. They are more than sixty years old.
Old 10-11-21, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 149 Posts

I still use my Air Force field jacket that was issued to me in 1975. It still looks great!
Old 10-11-21, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 473 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
I still use my Air Force field jacket that was issued to me in 1975. It still looks great!
Congratulations. Don't know if I more impressed by the fact that you still fit into it (haven't we ALL put on an extra 20.. 30... 40 pounds in the last 50 years??!), or that you still have it. You must be fit as a fiddle, and have maintained the same weight throughout your entire adult life, which is quite a feat in and of itself!
Old 10-11-21, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 548 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
Is that the big green one? I think I still have mine with name tape on it. I think it shrunk over time.
Old 10-11-21, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Oh, I have one of those, too. It's an older one that has the six switches on the front.

I haven't used in a long time because I don't have an old tv that will take the old-school antenna connection that the switchbox uses. I suppose someone probably makes a cable or adapter to connect the console to either composite video inputs or the coaxial antenna input on new tvs.

A while back I used an old one of these I had laying around in my "might need one of these later" box to connect the switchbox to the antenna input on my HDTV, but it didn't work.

Yes, I have the 75 ohm to 300 ohm RF adaptor (original) and that reminds me of course that the old CRT TV set that I use it on still runs very well, I think that set is from 1982 or 83. Zenith. The Atari 2600 and Colecovision (I've also got one of those from 1982, working as well) pre-dated RCA outputs, so they used that funky RF output, and you have to tune in to channel 3 or channel 4 to display the picture using that RF adaptor connected to the antenna input of your old TV

My Apple II *does* include an RCA video jack, so that can be run on a "modern" set with RCA inputs. Forgot, I also have a portable Apple IIc from 1984 as well that I use about once or twice a month still.
The following users liked this post:
andicus (10-11-21)
Old 10-11-21, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Congratulations. Don't know if I more impressed by the fact that you still fit into it (haven't we ALL put on an extra 20.. 30... 40 pounds in the last 50 years??!), or that you still have it. You must be fit as a fiddle, and have maintained the same weight throughout your entire adult life, which is quite a feat in and of itself!
Over the years I put on a few pounds, but currently am about ten pounds heavier than when I enlisted. Sadly, I blame diabetes for that.
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Is that the big green one? I think I still have mine with name tape on it. I think it shrunk over time.
Yup, the big green one. Mine fits great.
Old 10-11-21, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 500 Likes on 308 Posts

I inherited my grandparents' first set of bedroom furniture that they got when they were married in the mid-1930s. I use it in my guest bedroom. And I inherited my granddad's Remington Model 12 (.22 rifle) that is also from the 1930s. I shoot it from time to time.
Old 10-11-21, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 486 Likes on 349 Posts

Oh my, so many things:

5.25" floppy disks from the late 1970s.
Oldest PC still in use is a 1998 Pentium 233 MMX which I built myself from parts back then. First Abit motherboard sold with "jumperless" settings. Great DOS machine.
I'm calling BS on that. You're still using the true floppy floppy disks today? Those were way outdated even back in 1998.

Yes, I have the 75 ohm to 300 ohm RF adaptor (original) and that reminds me of course that the old CRT TV set that I use it on still runs very well, I think that set is from 1982 or 83. Zenith. The Atari 2600 and Colecovision (I've also got one of those from 1982, working as well) pre-dated RCA outputs, so they used that funky RF output, and you have to tune in to channel 3 or channel 4 to display the picture using that RF adaptor connected to the antenna input of your old TV
One thing that I wish I had was my dad's Sony WEGA 32" tube TV. That was probably the pinnacle of tube TV technology and I should have kept it for old school gaming. It was pretty advanced and even had built in wireless IR headphones. A flat screen and component video connections. The problem is that thing was a real beast of a TV. I remember when my dad first got it it took two of us to drag that thing in the house and set it up. It was so awkward and heavy to handle. So while it would be nice to have I'm glad we don't have to deal with it anymore.
Old 10-12-21, 09:20 AM
bcd

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Have a full size freezer from Sears in my garage. Not sure when it was made but the warranty expired in '71
Old 10-12-21, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 145 Posts

My bureau and nightstand are from my grandmother and are over 50 years old, my desk is from a bank and is over 60 years old and I have a number of pastels that date to the 1950s and 70s by a local artist that I look at daily. I also have a decorative AM console radio from my uncle that dates to the 40s or so.
Old 10-12-21, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
One thing that I wish I had was my dad's Sony WEGA 32" tube TV. That was probably the pinnacle of tube TV technology and I should have kept it for old school gaming. It was pretty advanced and even had built in wireless IR headphones. A flat screen and component video connections. The problem is that thing was a real beast of a TV. I remember when my dad first got it it took two of us to drag that thing in the house and set it up. It was so awkward and heavy to handle. So while it would be nice to have I'm glad we don't have to deal with it anymore.
I still use my 36" Sony Wega. Got it in 2005, still works great, weighs over 250 lbs (as do I). I'm pretty much stuck with it for life, because I don't know how I would get it out of the house now that I'm old. Maybe I can find some gamers who will haul it away for me.

Originally Posted by bcd View Post
Have a full size freezer from Sears in my garage. Not sure when it was made but the warranty expired in '71
I forgot about that - we have a similar one bought used in the 80's. I'm not sure how old it is though, I would guess mid-to-late 70s.
tanman (10-13-21)
Old 10-12-21, 10:32 AM

Received 163 Likes on 128 Posts

One thing that I wish I had was my dad's Sony WEGA 32" tube TV. That was probably the pinnacle of tube TV technology ....
I still have a 1999 Sharp 19" tube TV just for N64 and SNES gaming. I don't use it on a regular basis, but hesitant to throw it away since I'll bring out the N64 and SNES every once in a while. It was entertainment during the pandemic in early 2020 haha

tanman (10-13-21)
Old 10-12-21, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 272 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
...36" Sony Wega...
I gave mine away in 2008 before the big move to Alaska. As far as I know it's still in use in the break room at a t-shirt press in Tallahassee. What an amazing piece of technology!
Old 10-12-21, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 574 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post
I still have a 1999 Sharp 19" tube TV just for N64 and SNES gaming. I don't use it on a regular basis, but hesitant to throw it away since I'll bring out the N64 and SNES every once in a while. It was entertainment during the pandemic in early 2020 haha
I bought a little 15" analog flat screen from Advent off of Craigslist for $25, specifically for retro gaming. Doesn't take up any space (not deep like a tube TV), all the inputs I need for old video game systems.

MLBFan24 (10-12-21)
Old 10-12-21, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 521 Likes on 245 Posts

I thought of a couple of other things. I have a lamp in my living room that was a wedding present from my dad's older brother and his wife in 1946. And I have a metal napkin holder from the late 40s that my dad used to use to hold bills he needed to pay. Both of them were fixtures in the house I grew up in, and I keep them for sentimental reasons.
Old 10-12-21, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a clock radio that I think I've been using since middle school, so 1987-88 or so. I have my mother's coffee and end tables she bought back in the 80's, so depending on when they could be a little older than the radio.

As for something I bought myself, my IBM Model M keyboard was manufactured in 1993. I bought it off ebay in the late 90s and have been using it basically every day since.
Old 10-12-21, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,517 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
I still use my 36" Sony Wega. Got it in 2005, still works great, weighs over 250 lbs (as do I). I'm pretty much stuck with it for life, because I don't know how I would get it out of the house now that I'm old. Maybe I can find some gamers who will haul it away for me.
I had an old 48" Mitsubishi rear projection tv that. Just. Wouldn’t. Die! I thought the same thing - that a couple gamer kids from the neighborhood might like it for their basement or something. I rolled it out to the curb and waited. No one ever took me up on it. $160 to 1-800-got-junk later, and I finally got rid of it.
Old 10-12-21, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 620 Likes on 440 Posts

This belonged to my grandfather. It's a little crooked.

Old 10-12-21, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

During the '80s, Hardee's, I believe, was selling Alvin and the Chipmunks drinking glasses. I still have and use the Alvin glass.
Old 10-12-21, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm calling BS on that. You're still using the true floppy floppy disks today? Those were way outdated even back in 1998
The floppy disks I use mainly for my Apple II compters, not the Pentium. I've still got original DOS 3.2.1 system disks from 1979 for it. As well as many dozens of original 5.25" floppies which I made myself (compilations, projects, games, etc) from almost 40 years ago. Yes, I still use them often (maybe not *every* single day, but at least once a week), when I use my Apple II, since it does not have any hard drive. As for my Pentium, I do still use bootable floppy disks on it. 3.5" floppies from the early 90s / late 80s. Many still work, but the "newer" ones have gone bad -- poor materials extended even to floppies when they became commodity items in the mid-90s -- bad ferric oxide coatings and cheap plastic were used. My oldest floppies are the most reliable. Who'd have thunk it?
Old 10-12-21, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bcd View Post
That's impressive. About three years ago, my Uncle died and his wife finally retired his huge full-size (it opened from the top and was at least 10 feet long and 3 1/2 feet high) Sears freezer in his garage. It had been operating continuously since he purchased the house brand new for $13,000 in 1955, and it still worked just fine when she got rid of it.
Old 10-12-21, 05:32 PM

Received 144 Likes on 124 Posts

You know what, I just thought of a beloved item that I have had for going on I think 25+ years, my The Jungle Book Disney oversized towel that I bought from the Disney catalog many, many, many (lol)) years back. All the edges have sections that are fraying, and it is probably a bit thinner than it used to be, but no holes and it still does its job. For many years, it has been my secondary towel, the first I use to really dry my hair and wick most of the moisture from my body, I then wrap myself in this towel and go to my living room to watch TV. That has probably extended its life big time, but still...for a towel to still be useable after that many years is incredible. I freaking love this towel and will not get rid of it until I have too (even my mother keeps asking me when I will toss it out, and I give her the look, the how dare she asks me to get rid of the worlds best towel look).

Also, to answer the unasked question, yes it gets washed on a regular basis and it has survived many a tumble in those industrial machines you find in Apartment laundry rooms (that usually chew up my other items of clothing over a fairly short period of time). Like I said, this towel is indestructible and I just love it.
Old 10-12-21, 06:18 PM

Received 903 Likes on 524 Posts

I remember when my dad first got it it took two of us to drag that thing in the house and set it up. It was so awkward and heavy to handle. So while it would be nice to have I'm glad we don't have to deal with it anymore.
Dude. I'm right here. Personal attack reported.
tanman (10-13-21)
Old 10-12-21, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 574 Likes on 446 Posts

I have an axe that once belonged to George Washington. Except the handle was rotted, so I replaced it. Then I noticed the blade was kind of dull, so I replaced that too.

But it occupies the same space.
Old 10-12-21, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 500 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I had an old 48" Mitsubishi rear projection tv that. Just. Wouldn’t. Die! I thought the same thing - that a couple gamer kids from the neighborhood might like it for their basement or something. I rolled it out to the curb and waited. No one ever took me up on it. $160 to 1-800-got-junk later, and I finally got rid of it.
I'm still rocking a 65" Hitachi CRT rptv (see below) in my den. I bought it in I think 2007. The picture is still great and due to the layout of the room the bulkiness of the cabinet isn't really a problem. I think whenever I do finally get rid of it if I can't find someone who wants it I'll probably disassemble it so I can keep the mirror, lens, guns, speakers, etc. and then just set the rest of the pieces out for recycling or regular trash pickup.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.