Reload this Page >

What happened to Gabby Petito?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 09-17-21, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 208 Likes on 181 Posts

Did the boyfriend kill her or did she get lost or maybe committed suicide?

Investigators searching for Gabby Petito believe her fiancé and those around him are withholding critical information related to her disappearance and are refusing to come forward, police said Thursday night.

"I believe Brian has the information," said Police Chief Todd Garrison of North Port, Florida, referring to Brian Laundrie.

"I believe people around Brian may also have the information, and we are pleading to those people to come forward. Provide us the information that we need to find Gabby and reunite Gabby with her family because she deserves it and her family deserves it," he said.Petito, 22, was traveling with Laundrie in her white 2012 Ford Transit van with a Florida license plate, police said. When her family didn't hear from her since late August, they reported her missing on September 11. Police believe she was in the Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming before the last communication with her family, who lives in New York."We are conducting a missing person investigation.

Two people went on a trip, and one person returned. And that person is Brian. And we're looking for Gabby, and he is not willing to provide us any information," Garrison told CNN's Don Lemon on Thursday night.
Authorities believe Laundrie was the last person to see Petito before she went missing.

On September 11, police found the van the couple was traveling in at the home Petito shared with Laundrie and his parents in North Port, Florida. Laundrie allegedly returned to North Port on September 1, police said in a news release.
Authorities are investigating some materials they found in the van after they processed it, though they didn't clarify what exactly they're looking into, Josh Taylor, a spokesperson for the North Port police department, said in a news briefing.

Taylor also added that Laundrie and his family directed police to their attorney when investigators went to their home Saturday to question them.

"That is the extent of our conversation with them," Taylor said. "It's my understanding we have had some conversations with his attorney but certainly nothing to the level of providing us the details that we would like." And the Laundries haven't been talking to Petito's family, who have been pleading people to come forward.

"We've had no communication between our family and theirs. It's absolutely absurd. We don't understand why," Petito's stepfather, James Schmidt, told CNN affiliate Court TV.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/17/us/ga...day/index.html

Last edited by JeffTheAlpaca; 09-17-21 at 04:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-17-21, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 589 Posts
Re: What happened to Gabby Petito?

"What is buried in a shallow grave out in the desert, Alex?"
Old 09-17-21, 06:17 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Clearly she was in an abusive relationship and with the way her boyfriend is acting now, he probably killed her and is trying to buy time.
Old 09-17-21, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 306 Likes on 212 Posts

Yeah I think she’s probably dead. If he just dumped her off somewhere or if she just ran off, I’m sure he would have told the police at least where it was.
Old 09-17-21, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 188 Likes on 127 Posts

I think it's laughable to think that something other than her boyfriend killing her happened.

I hope his parents get charged as well for withholding information.

Last edited by Coral; 09-17-21 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-17-21, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 877 Likes on 608 Posts

Another cute, blonde, white girl has gone missing. CNN is collectively jizzing in their pants.

But yeah, she’s dead. He killed her.
Old 09-17-21, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 318 Likes on 230 Posts

Telling cops to fuck off and talk to lawyers is absolutely the actions of purely innocent people who know nothing of value. Why would someone want to help the police find their fiancé/soon to be daughter in-law?
Old 09-17-21, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 503 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Another cute, blonde, white girl has gone missing. CNN is collectively jizzing in their pants.

But I've been assured that systemic racism is a myth!

That name has been showing up on my YouTube feed for a couple of days, and I had no idea who it was. How does happen? Does the family hire a good PR firm, or do CNN showrunners say "The California recall election is over: it's time to come up with a new topic. Who's the cutest missing blonde girl?"
Old 09-17-21, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 129 Posts

I think the boyfriend absolutely did it. She's a "social media influencer" with over 200,000 Instagram followers. That along with being a pretty blonde white girl brings a lot of attention to this.
Old 09-17-21, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 612 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
She's a "social media influencer" with over 200,000 Instagram followers.
She wasn't before disappearing.

Petito would not have been considered an Instagram influencer before she disappeared—she had fewer than 1,000 followers—but since her disappearance, her account has gathered nearly 200,000.
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Telling cops to fuck off and talk to lawyers is absolutely the actions of purely innocent people who know nothing of value. Why would someone want to help the police find their fiancé/soon to be daughter in-law?
​​​​​​I have no idea how much merit, if any, there is to what the guy's lawyer is saying, but:

The attorney representing Brian Laundrie says his client will remain silent on the advice of counsel regarding the disappearance of his fiancée, 22-year-old Gabby Petito.

Statement from Attorney Steven Bertolino, “Many people are wondering why Mr. Laundrie would not make a statement or speak with law enforcement in the face of Ms. Petito’s absence. In my experience, intimate partners are often the first person law enforcement focuses their attention on in cases like this and the warning that “any statement made will be used against you” is true, regardless of whether my client had anything to do with Ms. Petito’s disappearance. As such, on the advice of counsel, Mr. Laundrie is not speaking on this matter.

I have been informed that the North Port, Florida police have named Brian Laundrie as a “person of interest: in this matter. This formality has not really changed the circumstances of Mr. Laundrie being the focus and attention of law enforcement and Mr. Laundrie will continue to remain silent on the advice of counsel.”
I've seen some similar comments elsewhere:

For illustrative purposes though about why the 5th is important, consider this scenario:

Last time she is *confirmed alive* is Aug. 25th. A text from her phone is received on Aug. 30th. They fight on Aug. 30. He drives away and leaves her, thinking she’ll call her family. She kills herself. He arrives in FL on Sep. 1. He finds out later she has not called anyone. Her dad reports her missing.

Now, in that situation, if he calls her dad and says, “I saw her on the 30th at ‘x’.”, and the police locate her and decide that they’re not confident her death was a suicide, a prosecutor can say in an opening statement to a jury, “The defendant admits to having been with her on the 30th. We found no one else who had contact with her after that. She was later found dead, and ME reports show that time of death was very close to when he admits to have last been with her. All evidence points to his involvement.”

Without that call to her parents, none of those sentences would happen.

They’d be left saying something like, “We believe the defendant could have still been with her at the time of death.”

Even if he does admit on the stand that he saw her on the 30th, that’s a huge difference in jury perception, and incredibly different than having it in the opening statements.

And that’s why you don’t talk to anyone but your lawyer, even if you’re innocent.
That’s what gets a ton of innocent people in trouble. Always remember, anything you say can and will be used against you. Nothing even can be used for you. Being helpful will never exculpate you, but it may inculpate.
Old 09-17-21, 10:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 09-17-21, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 208 Likes on 181 Posts

The true crime shows must be loving this since they can cover this for years if somehow this ends up like Natalee Holloway.
Old 09-17-21, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Petito would not have been considered an Instagram influencer before she disappeared—she had fewer than 1,000 followers—but since her disappearance, her account has gathered nearly 200,000.

She's the van Gogh (#vanlife Gogh? or #vanGoghLife?) of the digital age... selling little while alive, but selling much more in death.

Last edited by Coral; 09-17-21 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-17-21, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 353 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post

Yup. Blonde white girl. In my city we have a middle-aged Filipino woman, mother of three, who's been missing since January. Husband won't talk and has lawyered up. Hasn't received 10% of the national press the pretty young white girl has.
Old 09-17-21, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Hard disagree. Innocent or not, don't talk to fucking police.
Old 09-17-21, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 318 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
If your fiancé was missing and you actually cared, you would tell the cops to talk to your lawyer? Remember, we're talking about a young white guy here.
Old 09-17-21, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
​​​​​​I have no idea how much merit, if any, there is to what the guy's lawyer is saying, but:

I've seen some similar comments elsewhere:
The problem is that if he truly has no idea what happened to her, his lack of interest in finding her or giving a shit in general makes him look so guilty.
Your first and only thought would be to try and find her - not lawyering up. Maybe after she's found dead is when you lawyer up.

This guy's as guilty as Chris Watts.
Old 09-17-21, 10:34 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
I'd have to agree with that. I had an issue with a MAGA maskless asshole in my building and as soon as the cops showed up, they turned on their body cameras, acted like I was the problem and told me anything I said could be held against me. First and last time I'll ever get cops involved.
Old 09-17-21, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts

Let's pretend that he actually loves his fiancée and honestly doesn't know what happened to her. Not talking to the police under these circumstances is an astoundingly unnatural act. It is the police, and the activities that they coordinate, that will almost certainly lead to the discovery of her location/fate. No remotely loving fiancé could just sit by and not participate in that. Yes, he is naturally going to be a person of interest. The husband/lover is always a person of interest. However, if he is actually innocent, he has nothing to fear.

It is not merely the fact that the missing woman is young, attractive and white that makes this so newsworthy. The boyfriend's behavior is also a huge chunk of what makes this newsworthy. It's the "he's trying to get away with it" angle that the media loves. When some woman kills her child, even an attractive white woman, it is usually a blip on the media radar. But then you get something like Casey Anthony and media interest detonates. It's a combination of factors.

Old 09-17-21, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 612 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
The problem is that if he truly has no idea what happened to her, his lack of interest in finding her or giving a shit in general makes him look so guilty.
I mean, it's hard to imagine a scenario where he comes out of this smelling like a rose.

At best...well, I guess "at best" would be that this is all some kind of stunt to get attention and that nothing dreadful actually happened. But below that, the "best" explanation I can come up with to explain Laundrie's behavior is that he knows/strongly suspects something terrible happened, and he knows he did/said some things that could look incredibly incriminating even if he weren't directly to blame for whatever transpired. In that case, it's in his best interest to keep quiet -- to not give prosecutors any ammunition against him. It's one thing to look guilty; it's another to actually be convicted.
Old 09-17-21, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 353 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Let's pretend that he actually loves his fiancée and honestly doesn't know what happened to her. Not talking to the police under these circumstances is an astoundingly unnatural act. It is the police, and the activities that they coordinate, that will almost certainly lead to the discovery of her location/fate. No remotely loving fiancé could just sit by and not participate in that. Yes, he is naturally going to be a person of interest. The husband/lover is always a person of interest. However, if he is actually innocent, he has nothing to fear.
Did you really type that out?
Old 09-17-21, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 277 Likes on 195 Posts

Investigators are looking into a double murder at a campsite in Utah as well, for a possible link. If linked, definitely complicates things.
Old 09-17-21, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 831 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
Investigators are looking into a double murder at a campsite in Utah as well, for a possible link. If linked, definitely complicates things.
Yeah, that's the understatement of the year.
Old 09-17-21, 10:51 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 192 Likes on 114 Posts

Did someone saw a pretty blonde white girl is missing? AMERICA CARES!
Old 09-17-21, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Did you really type that out?
Yes, I really did. This isn't some poor black kid being framed by the local racist deputy dog for a street robbery using a staged line-up. This is a high-profile missing persons case. The worst thing he has to fear is that many people will assume he killed her. Well guess what, he just made that problem far, far worse by not cooperating with law enforcement.

I do actually agree with the "don't talk to the police" advice, but only if you are actually accused of something or being treated as a suspect. If my wife went missing on a trip or otherwise, you bet your ass I would be not only talking to the police, I would be hounding them for results, doing interviews with any local media who shoved a microphone in my face, putting up fliers, and so on. That would be because I actually love her, want her found, and had nothing to do with it. If a few people still assumed I had something to do with it just be virtue of me being her husband, who gives a shit? if the police questioned me in such a way to determine if I had something to do with it, good. That's their job and they would be quite negligent indeed if they didn't. I would have a lawyer present for a formal interview more likely than not.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.