Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Selling Locally: Craigslist vs. Facebook Marketplace vs. ???

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 09-14-21, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts

When I've got extra stuff to get rid of, I usually put it up on eBay and sell it there. But for big, bulky, or otherwise difficult to ship items, for years I would list it on Craigslist.

Well, I guess Craiglist's stodginess finally caught up with it. At the beginning of the pandemic, when I had a lot of time to clean out the closets, I tried Facebook Marketplace for the first time. I listed some extra diapers and was astounded when I got like 20 inquiries in a couple hours. Although I haven't really gotten that level of interest for anything since then, I still find that Facebook gets multiple times more inquires than Craiglist.

So, now I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks are the best places to list for local sales only, and what your experiences are. Here are my feelings on the current state of the several platforms:

Craigslist: The grandaddy of classifieds is showing its age. Without any integrated messaging, it's impossible for the platform to effectively identify and ban spammers and scammers, so I get a lot of those, unfortunately. I do still get some leads and sales from it, so it seems worthwhile to some level. The remaining clientele seems to skew on the older side.

Facebook Marketplace: The new hotness where all the action seems to be. Usually generates a fair amount of activity, and you can cross-post to local buying/selling Facebook groups. Because most people use their real names on their accounts and it has integrated messaging, spam and scams are minimized. In fact, I only received my first scam contact on Facebook Marketplace from a newly created profile last week, out of hundreds of contacts over the last year. Lots of flakes and non-responders. "Is this still available?" "Is this still available?" Ugh. Lots of lowballers too. Still, lots of sales generated from it.

OfferUp (LetGo): I just tried listing some stuff here last week. I was not impressed that they don't seem to prune old listings, as I found several listings that were 3-4 years old. The number of listings overall seems relatively small. Nevertheless, I was surprised to get a couple contacts from my listings. Nothing that translated to sales yet. I hate that you have to use the mobile app to create listings, and can't do it on their web interface.

Nextdoor: Never tried this one. Worth it?

5miles: Never tried it because it seems to have very few listings and the ones that are there are usually really old (no pruning).
Old 09-14-21, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 177 Likes on 131 Posts
Re: Selling Locally: Craigslist vs. Facebook Marketplace vs. ???

I have only sold through Craigslist and Facebook. I remember thinking that maybe, just maybe, Facebook buyers would be less flaky and retarded than Craigslist buyers since they are less anonymous, but I can now definitely say that this isn't true in my experience. That said, the last time I sold a few things of significant value, I listed them in both CL and Facebook and I think most or all of the sales ended up being through Facebook.

Your mileage may vary on Nextdoor. It just depends on how many people in the area actually use it. I have listed some lower-priced items (things that I was not quite willing to just give away) on Nextdoor and they didn't sell, even though a lot of people around me do seem to use Nextdoor for the neighborhood forums. I ended up selling those items on CL if I recall correctly.
Old 09-14-21, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 90 Posts

have had a lot of good luck with Facebook marketplace.
Old 09-14-21, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 146 Posts

I hate that Facebook marketplace seems to be the popular option for this sort of stuff since I got rid of my account.
Old 09-14-21, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 886 Likes on 615 Posts

Our neighborhood has a ďCommunity ResaleĒ group on Facebook that Iím part of. Itís made up of people who live in my neighborhood and in close proximity other (neighborhoods within 5 miles or so). Iíve used it a time or two. It seems to be mostly made up of soccer moms and trophy wives who donít work. Items sell pretty fast so you have to be on top of it if youíre interested in anything. Itís also convenient because most likely the item is just a couple streets over. Iíve bought a bike and a drawing desk for my kids through it.

Iíve never used Facebook Marketplace but I do browse through it occasionally and would probably use it if I saw something I wanted.

I think Craigslistís shady reputation finally caught up with it. Itís strange but I guess people donít want to be raped or murdered when theyíre buying a used PS4.
Old 09-14-21, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 277 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I think Craigslistís shady reputation finally caught up with it. Itís strange but I guess people donít want to be raped or murdered when theyíre buying a used PS4.
Speak for yourself, pal.
The following 4 users liked this post by Kurt D:
cultshock (09-15-21), emanon (09-14-21), GoldenJCJ (09-14-21), jfoobar (09-14-21)
Old 09-14-21, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 358 Likes on 263 Posts

I've been meaning to sell an engagement ring for a few years now. Was thinking of using Facebook local swap & shop page I belong to.
Old 09-14-21, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

My wife will post on Craigslist, NextDoor, and Facebook simultaneously. I think most of the time the sales come from Facebook though.
Old 09-14-21, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

I've pretty much given up on Craigslist. Facebook will give multiple responses but it's generally not until the 5th or 6th one I'll get a real buyer.
Old 09-14-21, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
I hate that Facebook marketplace seems to be the popular option for this sort of stuff since I got rid of my account.
This

There was also a local, invite only facebook group that my ex used to use. It was pretty exclusive but she got rid of tons of crap that way. The main selling point was it was a contactless exchange built on trust. She'd post an item (almost always something I would throw away) and negotiate the sale. Then within an hour someone would show up, pick the item up off our porch, and leave cash under the mat. I don't think there was ever anything more than $20, but with the volume of stuff she would get rid of we would almost always be able to go out for dinner and a couple drinks once a week just using that cash.
Old 09-14-21, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 151 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
My wife will post on Craigslist, NextDoor, and Facebook simultaneously. I think most of the time the sales come from Facebook though.
I just moved so for a while was selling tons of stuff. Facebook definitely was responsible for most of the sales.
Old 09-14-21, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 457 Likes on 326 Posts

Pre-Covid I was a big fan of LetGo before they sold out? rebranded? Then things kinda went downhill. Couldn't seem to sell squat after that.

I have a bunch I need to sell now so I guess Facebook is the place to go even though I dumped it years ago. Not looking forward to jumping back into that cesspool.

Old 09-14-21, 10:56 PM

Received 541 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
I remember thinking that maybe, just maybe, Facebook buyers would be less flaky and retarded than Craigslist buyers since they are less anonymous, but I can now definitely say that this isn't true in my experience.
Mod Note: There is no way that this is how you learn that using that word as an insult is toxic. Please don't use it again here, thank you.
Old 09-14-21, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 243 Posts

The audience on Next Door is very small, but if you can sell there, it works good because the people are nearby and more likely to follow through. I have never had a buyer on ND flake out compared to CL where people will go so far as to set up a meet and not show up.
Old 09-16-21, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 320 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
This

There was also a local, invite only facebook group that my ex used to use. It was pretty exclusive but she got rid of tons of crap that way. The main selling point was it was a contactless exchange built on trust. She'd post an item (almost always something I would throw away) and negotiate the sale. Then within an hour someone would show up, pick the item up off our porch, and leave cash under the mat. I don't think there was ever anything more than $20, but with the volume of stuff she would get rid of we would almost always be able to go out for dinner and a couple drinks once a week just using that cash.
That's one thing I'm still a bit hesitant to do is give out our address for someone to pick up stuff. I've used FB marketplace a time or two but it was almost always something somewhat big ticket. Few hundred dollars. And we always meet in a public area. Usually like a Target parking lot or McDonalds. Since it takes some coordination I really only do it for bigger ticket items so it's worth it for both of us to go out of our way and coordinate. I always use paypal. So how does everyone here usually do it? Give your address and leave the item on the porch? Meet in person?
Old 09-16-21, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
That's one thing I'm still a bit hesitant to do is give out our address for someone to pick up stuff. I've used FB marketplace a time or two but it was almost always something somewhat big ticket. Few hundred dollars. And we always meet in a public area. Usually like a Target parking lot or McDonalds. Since it takes some coordination I really only do it for bigger ticket items so it's worth it for both of us to go out of our way and coordinate. I always use paypal. So how does everyone here usually do it? Give your address and leave the item on the porch? Meet in person?
I've never understood the fear of giving out your address. It's not like any potential thieves thought there were all vacant lots there and by giving them the address they now know there are houses to rob. Unless you're selling some diamond encrusted item, or invite them into your home to see all your fancy steal-worthy stuff, what does it matter that someone has an address?

I have met in parking lots before when it seemed reasonable, but more and more it seems like that is just an inconvenient step that doesn't really make you safer most of the time.

As for payment, cash or venmo seem to be the two acceptable methods. Paypal can be reversed, IIRC.
Old 09-16-21, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

Add to that, the group I was referring to was an exclusive, heavily moderated group of soccer moms and housewives.
Old 09-16-21, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

My wife generally uses the honor system. Leaves it on the porch, the person leaves the money. When she goes to pick up something she purchased, the same thing happens. So far, anyone who's come by to pick something up has also left the money. No one has stiffed us, beyond just not showing up. Occasionally we'll meet them outside the door or whatever, but that's only happened a few times with larger items or electronics. She'll only do that if I'm home though, and certainly have never invited anyone inside. If she has something expensive on her own, she'll meet out front of someplace public. We only do cash, since we don't have venmo.
Old 09-16-21, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 91 Likes on 66 Posts

Craigslist seems to be dying and Facebook Marketplace seems to be getting more action now. Sellers are often awful on both. There was this listing for $100 worth of books I wanted to buy. The seller wasn't in my area but where my mom lived. So I messaged the girl saying I was interested and would like to buy them. She said she would get me a full count of how many she had and message me back. Then I never hear from her. I finally message her a week later and tell her I'll just buy them based off of what I see in the pictures. I told her I would be in town between the 13th and the 15th and could buy them then. She messages me on the 14th and says that the 15th would work. I messages her back within a minute and gave her my phone number and asked her what time and location. I still haven't received a response.

The silly thing is you can see someone's Facebook profile on Marketplace. The girl is a real estate broker in the area. She has a lot of stuff listed on Marketplace. Mostly builder light fixtures and other random stuff. If she is that bad at messaging people on Marketplace she will develop a reputation for herself and when people are looking for someone to sell their house they would likely just skip over her if they saw her name as a realtor. If she is that bad at selling something simple like a light fixture or a box of books, why would anyone want her to sell their home or help them find one?
The following users liked this post:
tanman (09-16-21)
Old 09-16-21, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts

I live in a secure condo building, so I just give them the address and ask them to park in the guest parking. They message when they arrive, and I come down with the item, and we either do the transaction outside or in the lobby. Most people know to bring cash, but a couple asked if they could use Venmo, and that was fine with me.

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
I have never had a buyer on ND flake out compared to CL where people will go so far as to set up a meet and not show up.
I had one FB user drive a half hour to get here, got within a block of my place, but couldn't find it because she "never comes to town", and then gave up and drove home. I even offered to go to the side of the road and give her turn-by-turn directions from wherever she was and flag her down as she drove by.
Old 09-16-21, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 886 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
I've never understood the fear of giving out your address. It's not like any potential thieves thought there were all vacant lots there and by giving them the address they now know there are houses to rob. Unless you're selling some diamond encrusted item, or invite them into your home to see all your fancy steal-worthy stuff, what does it matter that someone has an address?
Agreed. Iíve had people come by for porch pickup and pay through Venmo a few times. Iíve never had a problem. One of the perks of the pandemic is you can get rid of stuff without having to meet anyone face to face.

Iíve only ever done the porch pick up through the private Facebook group though. Typically Iíll Instant Message the buyer my address once they respond to my post and show interest. That way theyíre the only ones to know my address. Not that it matters who knows my address. I just donít want anyone else knowing where the goods are, just sitting on my porch.

Old 09-16-21, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 320 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post

I have met in parking lots before when it seemed reasonable, but more and more it seems like that is just an inconvenient step that doesn't really make you safer most of the time.

As for payment, cash or venmo seem to be the two acceptable methods. Paypal can be reversed, IIRC.
Yeah I don't know maybe it's unreasonable I know your address is public information but still you're inviting strangers to your home. Plus if you are selling higher ticket items it is a lot easier to jump someone at their home in a quiet neighborhood then it is in a busy parking lot. That is one thing I like about facebook is you can kind of prescreen people so it's not completely anonymous.
The following users liked this post:
AGuyNamedMike (09-17-21)
Old 09-17-21, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Agreed. Iíve had people come by for porch pickup and pay through Venmo a few times. Iíve never had a problem. One of the perks of the pandemic is you can get rid of stuff without having to meet anyone face to face.

Iíve only ever done the porch pick up through the private Facebook group though. Typically Iíll Instant Message the buyer my address once they respond to my post and show interest. That way theyíre the only ones to know my address. Not that it matters who knows my address. I just donít want anyone else knowing where the goods are, just sitting on my porch.
Yeah, I usually give them general location until we have a firm meeting time, then I give exact address. Because yes, often I leave the item out or against the side of my house.

Yeah I don't know maybe it's unreasonable I know your address is public information but still you're inviting strangers to your home. Plus if you are selling higher ticket items it is a lot easier to jump someone at their home in a quiet neighborhood then it is in a busy parking lot. That is one thing I like about facebook is you can kind of prescreen people so it's not completely anonymous.
High ticket items do require more precautions. Both because of the slight risk someone will jump you and the risk that you will show yourself to be someone with lots of money and valuable things. But otherwise, in my middle class neighborhood, there's no reason to not give out my address to a buyer.
Old 09-17-21, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts

Yep safety is important. When I buy or sell on FB we arrange to meet at lunchtime in the parking lot in front of Sportsman's Warehouse or REI usually. Lot's of witnesses, daylight (for most of the year), and plenty of decent lunch places nearby for efficient time use.

And I'm a 6'2" 300 pound man who carries, so there's that.