Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Have you gotten back together with an ex and made it work?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 09-11-21, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Personal story time. I am dealing with a really difficult breakup. It's been close to a month now, and I'm just as miserable today as I was on the day she told me she didn't want to do this anymore. I've known her for 8 years, dated her the last 3.5. We got along great...or at least that was my impression. We rarely had arguments, laughed alot, really enjoyed each other's company. Her call to me a month ago came as a complete shock. We hadn't been fighting leading up to it. It turns out all the things I did (or didn't) do she had bottled up and didn't talk to me about. She was not good at communicating to me her true thoughts and feelings. Essentially, she had expected me to recognize signs and clues and act on that rather than her having to tell me what she wanted.

To an extent, I agree with her. I should have been more mindful and aware. I should have really listened to her comments and asked myself, "OK, what is she really saying." Her mom loves me and is just as crushed as I am about this. She and her mom are close, so they talk alot and I've gotten the low down of why she broke up with me. They are all, in my opinion (and her mom's), things that easily could have been fixed if she had just talked to me about them and said "this is what I want and expect in order for me to be happy. Can you deliver or not?"

I last spoke to her early this week. I was hoping some time alone for her to gather her thoughts and really reflect on our relationship would make her reconsider. Needless to say, she didn't change her mind.

Again, her friends and her mom are just as surprised by this situation. They think we are great together, and the reasons she's given them to justify the breakup are...silly? Not sure if that's the right word. But they are things that we all (except her) agree can be worked on and fixed if you love each other. There's nothing I've heard so far that makes me think, "OK, this is a real obstacle that is difficult to overcome." For example, one of her primary reasons is that I didn't show her enough physical affection. We didn't hold hands in public, or kiss, hug, and cuddle her enough. She says she wants that in a relationship. I'd have been happy to reciprocate and give her those things. I just didn't recognize how important they were to her.

I don't want to ramble too much and get into TL;DR territory...but my question is should I stop hoping she realizes how good we were together and she comes back? I can't shake the thought, that one day...months, maybe a year (hard to put a time line on it) she will reach back out and say hey, let's work this out. Am I as delusional as I think I sound to a stranger? Have you ever made it work on a second go with a significant other? Or do I need to just accept the pain and repeat to myself, it's over, move on, she's not coming back. The latter is so hard to process, because I love her very much and thought she'd be my last relationship.

Old 09-11-21, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 271 Likes on 229 Posts
Re: Have you gotten back together with an ex and made it work?

Iíd say give her some space and see how it goes. If another relationship materializes for you, be open to it rather than carry a torch. I hope things work out for everyone.
The following 2 users liked this post by davidh777:
Osiris3657 (09-11-21), VinVega (09-12-21)
Old 09-11-21, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 423 Likes on 344 Posts

Nope. Move on. The best way to get over someone is to get under someone new.

Old 09-11-21, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 489 Likes on 322 Posts

She says that she's left you. I would take her at her word. Sorry.

If it seems like all the reasons that she's leaving you are small, you're back to the problem of poor communication. If she hasn't been making clear in words you understand what it is she wants, this doesn't seem too different. She isn't making it clear why she's leaving. It's not just you. Her friends don't understand why she's leaving you either.

I was dumped by a woman whose words were merely the carrier wave of the real message that was between the words. She expected me to understand her. But I was listening to her words and was just confused. A couple of years later I met Mrs Danger, and we both use the same communication style. That's much better.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 09-11-21 at 06:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nick Danger:
Osiris3657 (09-11-21), VinVega (09-12-21)
Old 09-11-21, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Nope. Move on. The best way to get over someone is to get under someone new.
I wish it were that easy man. I've even gone on a dinner date since then and even though the girl is attractive and good conversation, the entire time I thought "I don't really want to be here" or "I wish it was my girl instead"

The idea of dating right now has zero appeal to me. Wish I had your mindset though. I have a long time friend who can jump from relationship to relationship and the break ups don't seem to bother him one bit.

Also I've been a rebound for a couple girls that had recently left someone and those experiences pissed me off. I don't want to do that to someone else

Last edited by Osiris3657; 09-11-21 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-11-21, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 489 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
I wish it were that easy man. I've even gone on a dinner date since then and even though the girl is attractive and good conversation, the entire time I thought "I don't really want to be here" or "I wish it was my girl instead"

The idea of dating right now has zero appeal to me. Wish I had your mindset though
It's only been one month. You were together for four years; the rule of thumb is to expect four months for recovery.
The following users liked this post:
Osiris3657 (09-11-21)
Old 09-11-21, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 135 Likes on 103 Posts

Not going to quote the whole post, but some of the communications issues sound like what happened to my marriage. We both had very different styles of communication. When she would get mad or upset, she would just blow up and say all sorts of crazy shit. When I would get mad or upset, I would stay calm and articulate my thoughts and feelings very clearly to her. The problem was I would treat her blow ups seriously and take everything she said to heart (cause this is how I wanted to be treated) even though she didn't mean anything she said. On the flip side, she would ignore everything I said (cause she didn't think people actually said how they really feel when they're upset) even though I meant every word. Unfortunately, we didn't really understand each other until it was too late.

To answer your question, I never have even though I've tried before. It just got too awkward when you start factoring in friends and family and their thoughts and views. But if you can make it work, none of that will really matter ten or twenty years down the road. I think all you can really do is give her the time and space she needs, be open to discussions about how you feel and where you'd like to see things, the changes you'd like to see and what you'll do to see those through, and hope things work out. There's a lot of stupid cliches people will say when it comes to these situations, but if you both have feelings for each other there's really nothing you shouldn't be able to work through. It's obviously going to take both of you though, and I think that's an important part of any conversation you two might have about a future together.
The following 2 users liked this post by John Galt:
LurkerDan (09-12-21), Osiris3657 (09-11-21)
Old 09-11-21, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 386 Likes on 186 Posts

It's a cliche in the lesbian community that we all have to be friends with our exes. I'm not friends with all of mine, but even the ones I am, I don't think I could get back together with any of them. Especially in the case of SSG Honeylamb, the friendship we share now is better than our couple years.

Breaking up always hurts, and it's very tempting to want to hang on to the known, but I think Nick Danger is right.
Osiris3657 (09-11-21)
Old 09-11-21, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 156 Likes on 118 Posts

I hate to say it (and I hope I am wrong), the excuses she gave you for the breakup really smell like "another guy" to me.
emanon (09-12-21)
Old 09-11-21, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
A couple of years later I met Mrs Danger, and we both use the same communication style. That's much better.
Coded message board posts?
Old 09-11-21, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 276 Likes on 193 Posts

My ex wife and I still communicate a couple times a week, but there’s no mutual interest in rekindling anything. I think we are both better people after our divorce. At least I am. I don’t carry that torch anymore.
A few years after the divorce I started dating this one broad. The only thing we really had in common was alcohol. She was extremely attractive and well outside my league. We were friends first and decided to start a relationship. We broke up about three time before calling it quits for good. I wasn’t able to remain friends and we drifted apart.
I’ve been single for a few years now and it’s great. I have zero interest in seeking companionship. Sometimes it’d be nice, but ultimately I’d rather just be alone.
The following 2 users liked this post by Toddarino:
Kurt D (09-11-21), Osiris3657 (09-11-21)
Old 09-11-21, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
I hate to say it (and I hope I am wrong), the excuses she gave you for the breakup really smell like "another guy" to me.
Sigh. You're not wrong. Her mom spilled the beans. She's a hairstylist and apparently after she broke up with me she's been talking and went to dinner with one of her clients.

I know what you're thinking. Yes, it's definitely over, she has moved on and clearly has no more feelings for you if she can jump into the dating pool this quickly again. You need to move on too.

That said, she has a history before me of dating men who were bad for her. Abusive even. Her mom says I'm the only one she's dated that she's ever liked, and her early impressions of this guy aren't good. I know what you're thinking to this as well...of course her mom is going to say that, she cares about you and is just trying to help you through this.

I have no delusions that she's not going to meet other men. But (again, probably thinking irrationally here), she has a history of picking losers and the hope is that once she goes through one or two of these again, she'll realize what she had in me and tell herself she should have never left.
Old 09-11-21, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Very sorry you're going through this. If anything is ever to work out between the two of you neither of you can be in the headspace you are now so accept that it's over and who knows? Maybe someday you'll come back together.

In the meanwhile I suggest you get royally fucked up and listen to Weezer's Pinkerton at least a half dozen times. Where your heads at isn't good for much but it's the only place where you can fully appreciate that album.
Osiris3657 (09-11-21)
Old 09-11-21, 08:02 PM

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,059 Posts

No, get a lawyer.

Oh wait…
The following 5 users liked this post by dex14:
majorjoe23 (09-14-21), Shamus McAnally (09-15-21), tommyp007 (09-11-21), VinVega (09-12-21), Why So Blu? (09-11-21)
Old 09-11-21, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 260 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
No, get a lawyer.

Oh waitÖ
yeah, this thread moved so quickly I never had time to suggest an animal-themed OF account!
Old 09-11-21, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 568 Posts

Sorry hot hear youíre going through this. Break ups suck no matter what, they suck even worse when youíre blindsided.

Maybe this new relationship of hers will be over fairly quickly but you canít count on that and you shouldnít wait for her to come running back. If you donít want to date anyone right now, donít. Thereís no reason to jump into another relationship, especially a rebound one that wonít last (of course sowing your wild oats after a long term relationship can help sometimes).

But donít put your life on hold for someone that probably wonít come back. Go and live your life, know that youíre not over her yet but you will be. Itíll just take time.

Oh and to answer your question, no Iíve never broken up and then got back together with someone. Oddly enough, I have never had contact at all with any of my exes after we broke up. Once the relationship was over, I made sure it was completely over. That being said, I donít have any exes that I dislike. Even though things didnít work out, I still have positive feelings for all of them. Iíve never understood how you can go from loving someone to absolutely hating their guts.
Osiris3657 (09-11-21)
Old 09-11-21, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Appreciate the thoughts, you and everyone else. Even just talking about it helps. Today has been particularly rough.

The worst part of break ups are, at least for me, is my inability to distract myself. Watching a movie, working out, playing tennis, hell working...she refuses to get out of my head
Old 09-12-21, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

My two go-to movies post-breakup: Swingers and 500 Days of Summer. Very therapeutic.

Cliche as it is, time will make it better. I ended a 3.5 year relationship last summer and it was very tough especially given the pandemic. Eventually started dating about 7 months later and have been able
to move on. You will too.

And think about this - if sheís capable of dropping you to go out with a client, why would you want her back anyway?

Finally to answer the question - yes in two separate LTRís I broke things off only to want them back out of loneliness and attachment. Both times it did not work out in the long run away. Breakups happen for a reason.
The following 2 users liked this post by bunkaroo:
Cusm (09-13-21), Osiris3657 (09-12-21)
Old 09-12-21, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 334 Likes on 245 Posts

I've always had a rule-of-thumb. Never get back with an ex. Move forward.
Osiris3657 (09-12-21)
Old 09-12-21, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Sigh. You're not wrong. Her mom spilled the beans. She's a hairstylist and apparently after she broke up with me she's been talking and went to dinner with one of her clients.

I know what you're thinking. Yes, it's definitely over, she has moved on and clearly has no more feelings for you if she can jump into the dating pool this quickly again. You need to move on too.

That said, she has a history before me of dating men who were bad for her. Abusive even. Her mom says I'm the only one she's dated that she's ever liked, and her early impressions of this guy aren't good. I know what you're thinking to this as well...of course her mom is going to say that, she cares about you and is just trying to help you through this.

I have no delusions that she's not going to meet other men. But (again, probably thinking irrationally here), she has a history of picking losers and the hope is that once she goes through one or two of these again, she'll realize what she had in me and tell herself she should have never left.
Personally, I wouldn't deal with that shit. It's one thing if she's looking at your relationship and questioning what she wants. That's normal and a lot of people go through that after being together for several years. A little space often allows people to think clearly. It's completely different if she's already out dating other men. Remember how you said you couldn't date right now because you didn't want to be with anyone else? Well she's obviously not feeling the same. I'd move one and let her do what she wants. If she comes back months or years from now and you two can reconcile, great...but don't let her think she can just go around having these other flings and you'll be right there waiting whenever she wants.
Osiris3657 (09-12-21)
Old 09-12-21, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

When relationships break up with adolescents (22 or under) there is a 95% chance that, if reunited years later, they can get together. Given they're both single.
Adolescents break up for all kinds of stupid, immature reasons. They are too young to fully grasp commitment and mature love. 90% of us do not end up with our teenage/college sweethearts. Unless the original relationship was abusive, If reunited years later teen hormones mix with the maturity of age and fireworks go off.

I'm assuming the OP's situation is an adult relationship. However, she is not acting mature. That's why you, her parents, etc. are scratching your heads wondering what her deal is. That's also why she goes for the bad boy loser, immature types. She can relate to them. Somewhere along the line she went off the rails, long before you came along. Her parents saw this in her and were glad you came along because they saw you as the guy who was going to get her on the right track.It may take 20-30 years but it's not impossible that she'll grow up someday, realize she's been fucking up, and remember that guy who was great. Maybe.

People hate breaking bad news. It's a confrontation and they'll avoid it as long as possible. When someone is ready to do the deed, breakup, they're usually pretty much done. Nothing left. At this point in their life anyway.

You'll get over her and move on. You may stop loving her, you may not. When you do fall in love again, and you will, make sure you're not still in love with her before committing. It wouldn't be fair to this new person to still carry that torch. Once the initial euphoria of being in love again wears off, and you find yourself only thinking of this new person, not her, you've made it.

There's nothing you can do to change her mind. She has to come around on her own, if she does. Whether it's a month, year, 20 years, if she contacts you, and you're both single, there's nothing wrong with going for it, just navigate it like a minefield. Put her on probation.

This may sound crazy. Don't take it personally. It's not about you. It's about her. She's the one with a problem. She is the way she is. You're a victim of her.

I've walked in your shoes. We were teenage sweethearts. Her parents thought I was the greatest thing since sliced bread. She turned 18 and just decided it was over. Everybody was wondering "WTF" She began a series of guys who treated her bad. She'd call me up crying because some guy done her wrong. I'd feel bad for her and try to cheer her up. I'd tell her, "I'm sure the guy loves you". She'd say "Not like you did". She KNEW how she was screwing up but couldn't help herself. Just kept repeating the same mistakes.
Then she goes for a guy 20 years older than her. Business owner with bucks. She went for money and security. He went for a hot young wife.

35 years go by. I don't know if she's dead or alive. Got an itch to find out. Her life's a train wreck. She screwed it up with the older stable guy. On another marriage to guy who is alcoholic, multiple DUIs, felonies, living with his parents, multiple online mugshots, no job. Drugs.
I sent her a "Hi"
Got her crying. She's sitting around miserable. She knows she's made bad choices, burned bridges, and lying in the bed she's made. I pop up like a ghost. The guy who treated her right bothered to find her and see she's ok.
She's not aware I know all the stuff I do. She's too embarrassed and ashamed for me to find out.
Old 09-12-21, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 111 Likes on 83 Posts

In my personal experience, I have never had one that worked after the breakup. In the few times I actually been on a "date" with an ex, it was awkward and we both knew this wasn't going to work. Take some time off from dating and focus on yourself. Sadly, a lot of folks think a man doesn't need time to grieve and process what just happened. We are men, just run out and find a new women to take her place. That's wrong on so many levels.

I was engaged to be married to a woman before I met my current wife. All we did was fuss and fight. We both knew getting married would be a mistake, so we both made a clean break. I haven't seen or heard from her in over 20 years. After the breakup, I started doing things that I always wanted to do, but never had time due to being in relationships. I joined a gym, started working out. I started going to the movies and out to eat, just me, and you know what, I was having the time of my life!

This went on for two years before I met my current wife. She wasn't looking for a relationship and I sure as heck wasn't. We started going out and hanging out more and more and this past January, we have been married for 16 wonderful, happy years. Good luck with everything.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sonny Corinthos:
davidh777 (09-12-21), Shamus McAnally (09-15-21)
Old 09-12-21, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 314 Posts

Dating, mating, and romance were much better when you actually had to do them. Now, too many people think love is a Chinese food menu where you just go online and point to the #16 Redhead Special with extra curves.

Osiris, people are funny and finicky things. My wife and I have been apart and together in many different ways, many different times. Our 26th wedding anniversary will happen later this month. Some of our trials and tribulations played out here even. Love is about realizing that things aren't always going to be good and that you have the strength to give each other the space to breathe when it is needed. Unfortunately many people go their whole lives settling or never even getting there because they are trying too hard. TV told them true love is found in 90 days or less when you are locked into a house with 20 strangers (bullshit). The internet has told them The Algorithm knows who they are supposed to love and who will love them (bullshit). If it was meant to be, it will become again.

Right now, you are going through withdrawal. Long term relationships are addictions. You get used to the person being there. You assume the person will be there. You rely on the person being there. You take for granted that the person will be there.

My crappy advice: live your life. Don't try to fill the void. What happens will happen. Enjoy the ride that is life.

You get off the roller coaster thinking "Man, that ride made me throw up, but it was awesome and I want to find that feeling again!" Now you can do one of two things: keep getting back on that same roller coaster and sticking your finger down your throat trying to gag yourself to recreate it ... or you can enjoy travelling the world and riding new roller coasters until you find that authentic high again. OK, that's a messed up analogy, but what I am trying to say is: you can't force it.
Old 09-12-21, 12:01 PM
Admin

Received 296 Likes on 190 Posts

One thing I learned the hard way after stressing out and just making mistakes with people is that you can't control other people's actions, you can only control your own. Obviously your girl has communication issues and likes to pick bad guys. You can't control that. Maybe she will wake up, but you have to be open to the possibility that she won't wake up. If that happens, what will YOU do for your own life and well-being? Sorry you are going through this shit man. I wish you the best.
Old 09-12-21, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thank you all for your thoughts and advice. I can't really express over an internet forum how much it means.

I'm not close with my parents, nor do I have a best friend to vent to. She was my best friend and I've never been closer to someone before. I'm alone, and that's what's made this so difficult.

For what it's worth rw2516, we're in our mid thirties. Her mom (the ex comes from a broken home, she met her dad only once. Was raised by her grandparents who are dead now) insists on keeping in touch with me. She let me know that this new guy has a criminal history, has served time...like her long time ex before me. It's generated a lot of mixed emotions, first that how can she date a fuck up when she's gone through that before. Then I think, that won't last, she'll realize her mistake and only a matter of time before she comes back. It's all so frustrating.

I often think about Eternal Sunshine for the Spotless Mind. I wish the memory erasing procedure was real. I hate thinking about this.
VinVega (09-12-21)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.