Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Good walking shoe/sneaker recommendation?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 09-02-21, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts

I walk approx 3-4mi daily and I developed a large blister on the back of one of my heels which didn't go away. Subsequently I had to stop walking for a month to let it heal. I had back surgery recently and my gait must have changed. I've been wearing Reebok Classic Leather for years, but they just won't cut it anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions? My podiatrist recommends Hoka, but frankly I can't afford a pair of sneakers that starts @ >$100, especially one I might find out that hurts my feet after going for a walk or two.

What do people think of Sketchers? They are the best/most reviewed brand of affordable sneaker on Amazon plus there's a Sketcher's factory outlet a few miles from my house. Or I could purchase a pair through Prime Wardrobe and just walk around my apartment with them for a few days to see if they are any good.

Last edited by Eric F; 09-02-21 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-02-21, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts
Re: Good walking shoe/sneaker recommendation?

I've had a couple of pairs of Skechers over the years, a trail runner and a shiny black work shoe. Both were comfortable and lasted a couple of years, so worth the low price. I'm looking for a new walking shoe myself and since I wear 14EE my options are limited. Skechers makes many of their models in 14 "Extra Wide" and I've been ogling
this one on Amazon this one on Amazon
for $50.

Old 09-02-21, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts

Amazon Amazon

These are well reviewed but I've never worn a slip on shoe for walking before. Sketchers sells quite a few slip-on "walking" shoes. My walking is on pavement and I'm not sure if a slip-on will stand up as well as a lace-up.

Edit- They were selling one in my size through Prime Wardrobe for $35 so I thought I'd give it a shot. If no good I'll just return it. Not sure how it will stand up to 4mi daily walking on pavement without hurting my feet.

Last edited by Eric F; 09-02-21 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-02-21, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 877 Likes on 608 Posts

I have a few different styles of Sketchers and I like them all. They’re more slip-ons and casual shoes to wear with shorts but they work just fine for walking. I don’t know if they’re really for any hardcore walking though. Most have the memory foam insoles which i find comfortable and they’re usually not very narrow so it lets my feet breathe a little.

For walking/running I have a pair of New Balance that work well for me.
Old 09-02-21, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 129 Posts

I wear Asics and I have never had a problem. Edited to add: They have lots of shoes under $60 on their website.
Old 09-02-21, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 395 Likes on 191 Posts

https://www.clarksusa.com/

I have had good luck with Clark's.
The following users liked this post:
E Unit (09-02-21)
Old 09-02-21, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 300 Likes on 251 Posts

My wife swears by the Walking Shoe Company, especially if you’re near one of their physical stores and can get fitted.
Old 09-02-21, 01:13 PM
Premium Member

Received 412 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
https://www.clarksusa.com/

I have had good luck with Clark's.
Top recommendation here. They have great walking shoes and are very well made and very light.
Old 09-02-21, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

I've never been one to spend a ton for non-specialty shoes. I typically just buy a pair of Asics/Adidas/Nikes for casual wear and wear them until the soles fall off. My last purchase, I decided to try out Skechers after hearing so many good things. Holy shit, slipping those on for the first time felt like my feet had just had an orgasm. That pair is now pretty worn out and I'm definitely replacing with another pair of Skechers. My only complaint would be that the shoes seemed to stretch a lot as they broke in. What originally was a really comfortable fit eventually felt like I was wearing a size too big.

Last edited by John Galt; 09-02-21 at 03:34 PM.
tommyp007 (09-03-21)
Old 09-02-21, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

I switched from Reebok leather to Nike Pegasus years ago and everything improved as a result. I walk a lot and need to get new sneakers at least once a year. I go to Jack Rabbit in Manhattan and try on different ones recommended by the clerk until I find a pair that fits just right. I get one size too big in Wide and that works well for me. They stopped carrying Nike Pegasus a while back so I've switched to Saucony FormFit and they're just fine for me. People keep asking me why I don't order on-line, but I like trying them on in the store and walking in them first.
Old 09-02-21, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts

Personally, I wear the same model of Merrell Moab hiking shoes for virtually all hiking and non-hiking activities other than playing sports. I usually swap out the factory insoles for Smart Feet greens.
Old 09-02-21, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 441 Likes on 359 Posts

New Balance anything. They rock and are light and comfortable as hell.
Old 09-02-21, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Certainly not the cheapest, but the BEST walking shoe, especially if you have Plantar fasciitis, is the
Vionic Men's Walker Vionic Men's Walker
shoe.
I'm on my feet all day and as my feet got more and more painful, I have switched over to ONLY wearing this shoe, in one of four colors, every day. It's helped a lot with my foot pain.

AGuyNamedMike (09-03-21)
Old 09-02-21, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm a Brooks guy, but I've also gotten in the habit of having an extra pair of insoles (Sof Soles) on hand. I walk about 5 miles a day and standard insoles just can't stand up to that kind of use.
Old 09-02-21, 07:16 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
New Balance anything. They rock and are light and comfortable as hell.
That's been my go to sneaker for a long time. They're great.
Why So Blu? (09-02-21)
Old 09-02-21, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

New Balance eh? New Balance eh?

For $51 I might give that a try.

Old 09-02-21, 07:54 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post
I like the 990 series. I currently have the 993. They're expensive, but they really last. I think the less expensive ones would be worth a try.
Old 09-02-21, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

New Balance eh?

Old 09-02-21, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ I’ve never seen Crazy, Stupid, Love but I’ll admit that it hasn’t been lost on me that there’s a lot of “Dad” Saturday lawn mowing shoe recommendations up in this thread.
Old 09-03-21, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 98 Likes on 85 Posts

Blisters are from poor fit or wrong socks. Or both.

If your serious, go to a running store and get fitted. Buy shoes from them the first time (if after a walk or two there is an issue, they will exchange). Then you will know the type and size shoe for you. After that, you can buy on-line or whatever. I often buy previous years shoes right when the new ones come out. Save 40%+

If you just aren’t going to do that, you can go on line where you will find some guides (getting your feet wet then standing on a paper bag, looking at wear patter of old shoes, etc, etc).

If you are purposely walking 3-4 miles a day for exercise, only use the shoes for walking. Ideally you wouldn’t wear them daily (buy two pair) but if you do, be sure and buy “summer” running shoes. These are much more breathable and better chance to dry out overnight.

You will also want to keep track of mileage on the shoes. Obviously you can go father than if actually running in them. But the interior cushioning and support will fade well before they look bad on the outside. After that mileage (will vary by shoe), you don’t have to toss them. Wear with jeans or use for yard work.

I’d also give your feet a break by doing something else a couple times a week. Bike or elliptical or swim maybe.

My current favorite walking shoes (that I also run in on occasion) are the Adidas Ultra-boost. I’ve also recommended to two nurse friends that love them.,

Last edited by Sdallnct; 09-03-21 at 08:34 AM.
AaronHernandez (09-22-21)
Old 09-03-21, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
^ I’ve never seen Crazy, Stupid, Love but I’ll admit that it hasn’t been lost on me that there’s a lot of “Dad” Saturday lawn mowing shoe recommendations up in this thread.
I am an old dad, my days of wearing tailored suits and Italian shoes are long gone (there was a time, but that was the 80s and 90s).

Better?

Last edited by AGuyNamedMike; 09-03-21 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-03-21, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Many years ago I was visiting my in-laws house in rural Illinois for the 4th of July holiday with my now ex-wife. Also present was my brother-in-law with his family and his brother with his family as well. I was in my late 30s at the time although not yet a dad. My father-in-law had a shoes-off-in-the-house policy so all of our shoes were lined up near the mudroom door. I remember vividly getting up early one morning before anyone else and going outside. As I stopped to put on my shoes I had to just stop and giggle sadly. My shoes, my brother-in-law's shoes, his brother's shoes and my father-in-law's shoes were all lined up together. All of them were nearly identical white New Balance sneakers (three of the four the exact same model) very similar to the ones in the movie clip above.

I had probably gone through several pairs of those shoes at that point but I don't think I ever bought another pair at that point.
Old 09-03-21, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am an old dad, my days of wearing tailored suits and Italian shoes are long gone (there was a time, but that was the 80s and 90s).
Oh, I joke but I’m just as guilty. There was a time in my mid-30s when I realized a comfortable pair of shoes beats “fashion” any day. At the moment, I don’t own any white “Dad” Sketchers/New Balance sneakers but I do own a handful of other Sketchers shoes that most would consider comfort over style. They look fine and they go with most anything in my wardrobe (I’m typically a T-shirt/polo shirt and jeans guy). Most work perfectly fine with jeans or shorts.

On a rare occasion when I do wear a suit or shirt and tie, I have a pair of Rockport dress shoes.
AGuyNamedMike (09-03-21)
Old 09-03-21, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh yeah! When I was a field tech in the late 90s I wore these Rockport Dressports. Super comfortable and light as a feather.
Old 09-03-21, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For comfortable dress shoes, I answer with three letters: "SAS".

Years ago I had a position where I had to wear dress clothes to work most days and kept struggling with finding comfortable dress shoes. For awhile I was pretty happy with my Rockport wingtips but for whatever reason they stopped working for me. I went through the other common options like Clark and Ecco and was never happy. One day I wandered into an SAS store that happened to be next to a Trader Joes I was shopping at. They tended (at the time) to have much more in the way of women's shoes but I tried on their basic black dress shoe and fell in love immediately. I have worn nothing since. Fortunately, I pretty much only have to dress up for court now so I have been able to make my most recent pair last for many years now.

That said, SAS does make more casual walking shoes also. They are pricey, but probably worth a look. Store locator here:

https://www.sasshoes.com/stores/
AGuyNamedMike (09-03-21)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.