Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you feel your age?

Other Talk "Otterville"
View Poll Results: Do you feel your age?
Yes.
25.00%
No.
2.78%
I feel older.
11.11%
I feel younger.
25.00%
I feel the same as 20 years ago, which is great.
2.78%
I feel the same as 20 years ago, which is good.
5.56%
I feel the same as 20 years ago, which is not good.
2.78%
I feel good to great.
11.11%
I feel like dog poo.
2.78%
Other (please explainÖ)
8.33%
What are you high?
2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Do you feel your age?

Old 07-21-21, 08:51 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 279 Likes on 245 Posts
Do you feel your age?

Whatever age you are, young or old, probably more for older, but do you feel it? In your bones, your body, etc.?

Some may have ailments prior. Overcame them. Still dealing with them. Just got them. Had some, gained some. No need for details, bc, that’s kinda private, but overall, day-to-day, how do you feel.

I gotta say, a little bit. Some days better than others, but sometimes I just feel like a schmoo. Sometimes I got juice, sometimes I don’t, but muster through.

So, however old you are, do you feel that age, older, younger, the same as always, even dating back 20 years?

Last edited by OldBoy; 07-21-21 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-21-21, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Re: Do you feel your age?

Three back surgeries (all minor) and one knee surgery over the past 10 years or so and another knee that I basically have to live with until I decide to get a total replacement some years down the road (preferably not until I retire in 7 years). Outside of these orthopaedic issues, I actually feel pretty good for not quite fiddy.
Old 07-21-21, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 502 Posts

Iím 41 and on a typical day I feel at least 10 years younger. If I try playing sports or running, I feel 10 years older.
Old 07-21-21, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Iím 41 and on a typical day I feel at least 10 years younger. If I try playing sports or running, I feel 10 years older.
This

I turned 40 last month but constantly get told I donít look older than early 30s. And not having a wife or kids, I still have the freedom of someone in their 20s or early 30s. Iíve never been a nightlife guy, but enjoy just chilling at a bar or brewery and usually end up chatting with people in their 20s and 30s and I donít feel out of place for the most part.

But the aches and pains from just doing normal day to day activities is a constant reminder of my real age.
The following users liked this post:
spainlinx0 (07-22-21)
Old 07-21-21, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

I'm 61 and feel the same as I did in my 20s. I injured my knees playing baseball at 18 which developed into arthritis. From my 20s through my late 40s, I played baseball and basketball every week, sometimes every day. I've been riding a bike a few days each week for the past two years, including at least one 100+ mile ride each month. I made three rides in January of over 100 miles. I also walk 20-35 miles each week. Some days I feel better than I did in my 20s when I also jogged a lot.
Giantrobo (07-22-21)
Old 07-21-21, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 408 Likes on 277 Posts

I hurt my bicep on January 1 because I increased the weight of the dumbbells for the new year. I thought it would be no big deal. I thought I'd go light for a week, and then everything would be back to normal. I'm still going light. My bicep still gives me a twinge when I do normal activities, seven months later.

Old 07-22-21, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 280 Likes on 208 Posts

Feel younger. Especially since my surgery. I've been eating better and exercising more. There's a little more vigor in my step. I've had many people say I look really good. I've never had daily aches/pains.
Giantrobo (07-22-21)
Old 07-22-21, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 226 Likes on 166 Posts

I’m 42 but I feel older. Been doing manual labor for 23 years almost all of it standing on concrete.
The following body parts are shot :
- Knees
- Feet from undiagnosed gout for about 10 years due to high blood pressure medication.
- Back. Three herniated discs and a rolled spine. The left side of my back has been so tight for so long.
- Neck. Two herniated discs that caused the loss of my tricep muscle and two numb fingers.
- Hands. Arthritis from assembling/fixing furniture for 17 years and from grabbing and holding 23 lb bags of ice cream a couple hundred times a day for the last 8 years.
-Right shoulder. See the last 8 years

I feel better than I did a few months ago since I lost 15 lbs, but I got frustrating being plateaued at that number for weeks. So I’m off the weight loss wagon.
Old 07-22-21, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm 54 and voted yes, because for just the past few months I've been really fatigued. I nap like I'm 80 years old--every day and I actually fall asleep. Just had my labs done, and I'm low on vitamin D again, despite taking it regularly and gardening in the sunshine every single day. Also, I have arthritis in my neck and lower back that affects my sleep. If I mess up my pillow configuration, my arms fall asleep. Heck, my arms fall asleep if I turn my head the wrong way for too long in the middle of the day. I bet I end up needing an ACDF, which kind of terrifies me.

Last edited by tasha99; 07-24-21 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-22-21, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts

I'm 53 and I feel every year of it. Both knees and back remind me every day that I'm not a spring chicken any more. I'm trying to hold off on a double knee replacement. And to think, I was so athletic when I was younger. I played football, basketball and some baseball from elementary school until my freshman year in high school when I had my first knee injury. I used to work out and run at least twenty miles a week from my 20's until my early 30's. I guess the years are catching up with me.
Old 07-22-21, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 467 Likes on 374 Posts

Iím younger than most in this thread. 34, will be 35 in October. I donít think Iím really at the age of feeling much different personally. Only thing Iíve noticed is I think I may have developed some seasonal allergies over time.
Old 07-22-21, 11:19 AM

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
This

I turned 40 last month but constantly get told I donít look older than early 30s. And not having a wife or kids, I still have the freedom of someone in their 20s or early 30s. Iíve never been a nightlife guy, but enjoy just chilling at a bar or brewery and usually end up chatting with people in their 20s and 30s and I donít feel out of place for the most part.

But the aches and pains from just doing normal day to day activities is a constant reminder of my real age.
Oh....and the hangovers. Used to last an hour, now Iím down for the whole day.
Old 07-22-21, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I'll turn 74 next month and all I can say is that I consider myself to be in excellent health. I get tired after working hard, after doing a 4-mile hike in the mountains, I often need a siesta and if I don't get one then I am super exhausted in the evening. I have unexplained aches and pains in various body parts, but I don't worry about them - I feel that it's expected at my age. All in all, life is good.
Old 07-22-21, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

I'll be 54 this year. Physically I feel older (it's not the years honey, it's the mileage) but mentally I sometimes feel young and optimistic. I'll take it.
Old 07-22-21, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,002 Likes on 746 Posts

I'm 47, about 20 to 25 pounds heavier than I should be. I have thyroid issues that also contribute to the weight problem. I also have an on and off swollen right leg after suffering a blood clot 4 years ago.

other than that, I feel great.

I try to live a relatively stress free life. I travel when I can, I watch movies, sports and television when I have no plans. And I like to eat at new and interesting places.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-22-21 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-22-21, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 224 Likes on 169 Posts

I'm 42 but usually people think I'm in my 30's. I live a pretty stress free life. I'm married with no kids, I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs and I'm a vegetarian. So mentally I feel younger I spend most of my free time playing basketball with people half my age, reading manga and playing videogames.

Physically my only issue is my back. I had back surgery like 10 years ago and I wish I wouldn't have. I go to a chiropractor twice a month for adjustments. It's usually not too bothersome but I'll aggravate it lifting something like twice a year and it'll take a week or two to recover.
Old 07-22-21, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 184 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm 49, and I feel slightly younger than I am, though I'm not sure what 49 is supposed to feel like.

I know that I felt amazing up to 44 - not far off from how I felt in my 20s, but right after 44, a switch was flipped, and everything was more difficult - eyesight, exercise, exertion, staying up, eating, drinking, etc, etc, all of it got harder during my 44th year.
Old 07-22-21, 05:07 PM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm 42 and usually feel a good 5-10 years younger. And I still look about 5-10 years younger, so I'm very grateful for that. Having said that, I haven't been all that crazy about 42 so far. My back's hurt at random times, as have my hip and my legs. It's nothing too terrible, but noticeable enough to be annoying. I'm hoping it's just a bump in the road and not a sign of what's to come.
Old 07-22-21, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 349 Likes on 270 Posts

I have chronic bursitis in both heels and have put on a bunch of weight. Physically, I feel a good 10 years older than I think I should.

Mentally though, I feel 20.
Old 07-22-21, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 193 Likes on 171 Posts

I think I am ok though occasional stomach and head and neck pains here but did not have them at all before 2011 and there but probably maintained a welterweight body for most of this century.

My cousin at his sons graduation party was mad saying why I don't look older and fatter and have less hair like him.
Old 07-22-21, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 239 Likes on 182 Posts

In general no. But, I think it's all subjective, really. I'm very sensitive to the heat, so when it is terribly hot, like right now, I feel so tired and don't want to do anything, so I "feel" 80 or 90. But in terms of bodily aches, pains, and general "aging" complaints, I have few, so I am very grateful. Now, I'm also fortunate in that I look much younger than my biological age as well. No graying, no baldness / thinning of hair, very few wrinkles (even my brow is not furrowed yet!), no sagging or wrinkled skin (I stay AWAY from the sun, ergo, I have very "young" looking skin).

So, it it wasn't for this god-damned heat for 4 or 5 months of the year -- getting longer each year as we turn into a desert -- I'd be feeling very young, indeed. This is why I need to move to a much cooler climate (but WHERE? as even Canada hit 120 degrees this summer!). 50 degeees year-round would be my general cure for wellness.
JeffTheAlpaca (07-22-21)
Old 07-22-21, 08:39 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

I'll be 66 next month. I still think of myself as being a younger man, I have younger sentiments, thoughts, feelings, my overall outlook on life hasn't really changed (still the same old hippy I was when it was fashionable), but my body is in the process of going to shit. Joints ache (not terribly), painful arthritis in both my hands, restless leg syndrome sometimes, I don't take these issues to a doctor because what could they do? Prescription medications? Surgery? Bullshit. If I have some MAJOR health issue I'll see a doctor, but for these aches and pains? I'll deal with it.
Old 07-23-21, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 239 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
If I have some MAJOR health issue I'll see a doctor, but for these aches and pains? I'll deal with it.
That's how I feel, and I'm 56. So, any aches and pains I have now are "expected" and very minimally-invasive with my daily living and general heath, which is very good. So, I deal with a few aches -- for example when I work especially long or hard at a task, and don't believe in overmedicating or overdoctoring, as seems to be the thing nowadays. Just take a pill, and you'll be well. Bullshit, indeed. I like to feel my body's natural signals... I find psycological healing is the most effective of all, rather than physiological healing.
Old 07-23-21, 12:29 PM
Premium Member

Received 356 Likes on 287 Posts

Sometimes.
Old 07-23-21, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 408 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
I don't take these issues to a doctor because what could they do? Prescription medications? Surgery? Bullshit. If I have some MAJOR health issue I'll see a doctor, but for these aches and pains? I'll deal with it.
I went to a PT for the first time ever a few days ago. I told her that I don't have anything serious, and I would like to keep it that way. She liked that. Finding out how to respond to aches and pains seems to me like basic preventative maintenance.

Physical therapists must have similar stories like those Customer States videos. For those who haven't seen them, they are videos by car mechanics showing cars that are dangerously broken because the customer didn't do basic maintenance ten thousand miles ago.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.