Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Yep, Nickdawgy Is Going Car Shopping Again...

Other Talk "Otterville"

Yep, Nickdawgy Is Going Car Shopping Again...

Old 07-15-21, 06:12 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 31,154
Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Yep, Nickdawgy Is Going Car Shopping Again...

Since I didn't want to highjack the Tesla thread, and since my wife and I are going to go and look for cars soon, I figured I would come to my favorite people once again. Now to start off, the good news is we have enough for a nice down payment of around 20k. The bad news is since our recent BK, it's a mark on our credit. But no debts (other than her student loans) and the car we are currently paying for now, the 2014 Dodge Durango.

We owe something like 8k on it, and it's apparently worth 18-19k. Now I don't believe for a minute that anyone is going to give me the full value on it, so I assume that I get say 15k, pay off the Dodge, use the leftover 8k plus 12k of my savings for a new car. I want a Tesla, the wife wants an SUV (she likes the Kia Telluride, and Hyundai Palisade) but we haven't decided. She wants third row, but may settle on a compact SUV that is roomy.

Our payment now is $290 and change via our credit union. We refinanced twice, which is why we are still paying on a car that is 7 years old. It's been a good car, but recently the dealer informed us the radiator has a crack, and there's some other damages and wear and tear. I'm not sure if that's gonna come out in an inspection when we trade it in, or if it'll go unnoticed. But we figured 7 years is pushing our luck on a Dodge anyway. I'm not exactly Al Bundy here.

So yeah, 20k down won't hurt. Payments of say $550 or so a month (typically the highest I'd want to go) won't hurt. I don't want to go and get reamed with some super high interest rate, but I'll take a higher than normal one for a year or so then refinance.

Again, money isn't an issue. I can't exactly throw down 40k in cash for a car, but I'm in a lot better shape than I was before. This time I'm talking to you guys first. Honestly, would you ride out the Dodge? I'm afraid it'll really start to break down and then the supposed car shortage will die down and it'll be with half as much.

Ok, have at it. Give me advice or warn me. I know that more or less I'm going to get screwed with the BK on there, I'm just wondering if the high downpayment will mitigate the damage.
Old 07-15-21, 06:50 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
lwhy?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nashville and Crossville, TN
Posts: 6,455
Received 166 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: Yep, Nickdawgy Is Going Car Shopping Again...

There is a car shortage right now and you're going to have to pay more than you regularly would. Even used cars are $3000 to $5000 more expensive.
Old 07-15-21, 06:53 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 31,154
Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Re: Yep, Nickdawgy Is Going Car Shopping Again...

Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
There is a car shortage right now and you're going to have to pay more than you regularly would. Even used cars are $3000 to $5000 more expensive.
Yeah I guess it works both ways. But the ones we were looking at the dealers didn't have a markup. I refuse to pay a markup anyway. I did on one of my first cars and I was like never again.
Old 07-15-21, 09:37 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
clckworang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The toe nail of Texas
Posts: 8,424
Received 297 Likes on 220 Posts
Re: Yep, Nickdawgy Is Going Car Shopping Again...

As I posted in the Tesla thread, I just ordered a Model 3 but was doing some looking for other stuff as well. There are definitely still some new vehicle deals out there, though the inventory may not be as deep as normal. At least this is the case in my area.

As mentioned in the other thread, I'd look around at local credit unions. Also, I didn't save the link (I really should have), but at one point, I found a spreadsheet people were maintaining of auto loan rates different banks were offering. It might be worth looking around online, too.
Old 07-15-21, 11:17 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 31,154
Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Re: Yep, Nickdawgy Is Going Car Shopping Again...

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
As I posted in the Tesla thread, I just ordered a Model 3 but was doing some looking for other stuff as well. There are definitely still some new vehicle deals out there, though the inventory may not be as deep as normal. At least this is the case in my area.

As mentioned in the other thread, I'd look around at local credit unions. Also, I didn't save the link (I really should have), but at one point, I found a spreadsheet people were maintaining of auto loan rates different banks were offering. It might be worth looking around online, too.
Well our current car is through our CU and we've never been late in 4 years with them, so it's worth a shot I suppose.
Old 07-16-21, 07:11 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 2,083
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Yep, Nickdawgy Is Going Car Shopping Again...

I can't think of a worse time in my lifetime than now to buy a car. Frito Lay workers are striking, and there is a chip shortage.
Old 07-16-21, 12:01 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
AGuyNamedMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Posts: 16,060
Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts
Re: Yep, Nickdawgy Is Going Car Shopping Again...

Go for it. Find a hungry salesman who'll work with you and see what numbers they come up with. You're not screwed until you actually sign the paperwork. As far as choices, a base Tesla Model Y with 3rd row will run $52Kish with incentives.

Just remember the financially sound option is usually to keep a vehicle until it disintegrates (a Durango radiator replacement in SoCal is what, a grand? DIY half that?). I own an '04 Tundra that will possibly last me another 25 years or until I'm no longer able to drive.
Old 07-16-21, 12:17 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Galt's Gulch
Posts: 3,229
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Re: Yep, Nickdawgy Is Going Car Shopping Again...

I'd throw the Durango up for sale as a private seller at market price and see what type of bites you get. But if you find someone interested, make sure you can buy what you want at the price you want before selling. This isn't a market I'd want to buy a car in, but I was happy getting top dollar for two that I sold.
Old 07-16-21, 12:21 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
sracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Posts: 14,693
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: Yep, Nickdawgy Is Going Car Shopping Again...

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
Since I didn't want to highjack the Tesla thread, and since my wife and I are going to go and look for cars soon, I figured I would come to my favorite people once again. Now to start off, the good news is we have enough for a nice down payment of around 20k. The bad news is since our recent BK, it's a mark on our credit. But no debts (other than her student loans) and the car we are currently paying for now, the 2014 Dodge Durango.

We owe something like 8k on it, and it's apparently worth 18-19k. Now I don't believe for a minute that anyone is going to give me the full value on it, so I assume that I get say 15k, pay off the Dodge, use the leftover 8k plus 12k of my savings for a new car. I want a Tesla, the wife wants an SUV (she likes the Kia Telluride, and Hyundai Palisade) but we haven't decided. She wants third row, but may settle on a compact SUV that is roomy.

Our payment now is $290 and change via our credit union. We refinanced twice, which is why we are still paying on a car that is 7 years old. It's been a good car, but recently the dealer informed us the radiator has a crack, and there's some other damages and wear and tear. I'm not sure if that's gonna come out in an inspection when we trade it in, or if it'll go unnoticed. But we figured 7 years is pushing our luck on a Dodge anyway. I'm not exactly Al Bundy here.

So yeah, 20k down won't hurt. Payments of say $550 or so a month (typically the highest I'd want to go) won't hurt. I don't want to go and get reamed with some super high interest rate, but I'll take a higher than normal one for a year or so then refinance.

Again, money isn't an issue. I can't exactly throw down 40k in cash for a car, but I'm in a lot better shape than I was before. This time I'm talking to you guys first. Honestly, would you ride out the Dodge? I'm afraid it'll really start to break down and then the supposed car shortage will die down and it'll be with half as much.

Ok, have at it. Give me advice or warn me. I know that more or less I'm going to get screwed with the BK on there, I'm just wondering if the high downpayment will mitigate the damage.
IMO, avoid Tesla. I haven't seen a convincing argument that shows a Tesla to be a good purchase. You mentioned that your wife wants a Telluride or Palisade. Good choices but is something like that really necessary for your lifestyle? Kia and Hyundai both have decent mid-sized and compact SUV options. I'd recommend checking out the Kia Seltos.
If I didn't want a change from 15 years of owning Jeep Patriots (ended up with a 2021 Kia K5 EX), I would've bought the Seltos. I wanted a nice highway cruising car, and the K5 is fantastic. I'm getting 40 MPGs on the open AZ highways. A far cry from the 24 I was getting with the Patriots.

I don't recommend riding out the Dodge. It sounds like it is on the cusp of a wave of repairs. The money spent on those repairs could be going toward a new vehicle. Not to mention the stress and hassles of the potential for breakdowns. Some people don't mind having that uncertainty, but for me, peace of mind has value... and if it is a vehicle that my wife would be driving I DEFINITELY want her to feel confident.
Old 07-16-21, 01:01 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
tasha99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: the North
Posts: 6,350
Received 103 Likes on 68 Posts
Re: Yep, Nickdawgy Is Going Car Shopping Again...

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post
Go for it. Find a hungry salesman who'll work with you and see what numbers they come up with. You're not screwed until you actually sign the paperwork. As far as choices, a base Tesla Model Y with 3rd row will run $52Kish with incentives.

Just remember the financially sound option is usually to keep a vehicle until it disintegrates (a Durango radiator replacement in SoCal is what, a grand? DIY half that?). I own an '04 Tundra that will possibly last me another 25 years or until I'm no longer able to drive.
Yeah, my car buying advice is to pay cash and then keep it forever. The car you can afford is the car that equals your down payment, but I realize I'm in a minority for not believing in auto loans. I drive a 2016 Toyota Camry, and with any luck, it will last until I can't drive anymore, too. Hoping the future has self-driving cars for loan (rather than own) for the elderly in 20 years.
The following users liked this post:
rduncan (07-17-21)
Old 07-16-21, 01:05 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 31,154
Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Re: Yep, Nickdawgy Is Going Car Shopping Again...

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
IMO, avoid Tesla. I haven't seen a convincing argument that shows a Tesla to be a good purchase. You mentioned that your wife wants a Telluride or Palisade. Good choices but is something like that really necessary for your lifestyle? Kia and Hyundai both have decent mid-sized and compact SUV options. I'd recommend checking out the Kia Seltos.
If I didn't want a change from 15 years of owning Jeep Patriots (ended up with a 2021 Kia K5 EX), I would've bought the Seltos. I wanted a nice highway cruising car, and the K5 is fantastic. I'm getting 40 MPGs on the open AZ highways. A far cry from the 24 I was getting with the Patriots.

I don't recommend riding out the Dodge. It sounds like it is on the cusp of a wave of repairs. The money spent on those repairs could be going toward a new vehicle. Not to mention the stress and hassles of the potential for breakdowns. Some people don't mind having that uncertainty, but for me, peace of mind has value... and if it is a vehicle that my wife would be driving I DEFINITELY want her to feel confident.
Yeah I think we are waiting on the Tesla this time. At least til we need a second car (her work is a mile away). I’m thinking a year at least. But I’ve questioned the need for a big third row car. She’s like what about trips and going to IKEA and big grocery runs. I said how often do we do that though?

Maybe a compact SUV? Or even a roomy sedan. I dunno.
Old 07-16-21, 01:24 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
sracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Posts: 14,693
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: Yep, Nickdawgy Is Going Car Shopping Again...

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
Yeah I think we are waiting on the Tesla this time. At least til we need a second car (her work is a mile away). I’m thinking a year at least. But I’ve questioned the need for a big third row car. She’s like what about trips and going to IKEA and big grocery runs. I said how often do we do that though?

Maybe a compact SUV? Or even a roomy sedan. I dunno.
Ah, an "IKEA mobile" requirement. Yes, my wife had that as a requirement as well. Unless you're outfitting an entire room each trip to IKEA, a big 3rd row vehicle is unnecessary. My Jeep Patriots served well as the family's IKEA vehicles. They had 53 cubic feet with the rear seats folded down. And that was plenty. My wife's 2020 Kia Soul with the rear seats down, has 62 cubic feet. Both are boxy so very efficient for hauling stuff.

The Seltos also has 62 cubic feet.


Here's the Patriot loaded up from IKEA.

Last edited by sracer; 07-16-21 at 06:04 PM. Reason: fixed typo
The following users liked this post:
story (07-16-21)
Old 07-16-21, 01:31 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 31,154
Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Re: Yep, Nickdawgy Is Going Car Shopping Again...

Lol. So you know the struggle.
Old 07-16-21, 01:51 PM
  #14  
Moderator
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 10,834
Received 537 Likes on 327 Posts
Re: Yep, Nickdawgy Is Going Car Shopping Again...

We are fans of larger Kia and Hyundai vehicles. I also think Enterprise Car Sales is phenomenal. I think people around here first made me aware of them. Other than that...

Here's some advice for you and cars, nickdawgy:
1. Be mindful of dealer scams.
2. Be mindful of sprinklers.
3. Be mindful of your trade-ins.
4. Be mindful of dings.
5. Again, be mindful of dealer scams.
6. Again, be mindful of your trade-ins.
7. Be mindful of Best Buy car stereos.
8. Be mindful of car loans.
9. Again, and again, be mindful of your trade-ins.
10. Again, be mindful of dings.
11. Again, and again and again, be mindful of your trade-ins.
12. Be mindful of "the Magic System."
13. Be mindful of theft.
14. Get the car from The Wraith.
15. Be mindful of car shortages.

I made this post with love, man, I am no fan or expert in car purchases aside from what I said at the beginning. Good luck, and I hope this ends up your best car purchase yet.

Last edited by story; 07-16-21 at 02:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by story:
emanon (07-16-21), sracer (07-16-21)
Old 07-16-21, 03:31 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 15,781
Received 352 Likes on 257 Posts
Re: Yep, Nickdawgy Is Going Car Shopping Again...

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
Yeah, my car buying advice is to pay cash and then keep it forever..
We always pay cash and drive the car into the ground. It's great not having car payments, we don't feel any need to "keep up with the neighbors" and have the newest, shiniest car, screw that.
The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (07-17-21)
Old 07-16-21, 06:08 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 31,154
Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Re: Yep, Nickdawgy Is Going Car Shopping Again...

It seems like every time we get to the “I can’t wait to not have a car payment” place, the car is run down and needs repairs

Definitely not getting the Telluride. Dealers around here want 2-3k mark up. We thought maybe a Sorento Hybrid but nobody has the trim we want.
Old 07-16-21, 06:10 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 31,154
Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Re: Yep, Nickdawgy Is Going Car Shopping Again...

Originally Posted by story View Post
We are fans of larger Kia and Hyundai vehicles. I also think Enterprise Car Sales is phenomenal. I think people around here first made me aware of them. Other than that...

Here's some advice for you and cars, nickdawgy:
1. Be mindful of dealer scams.
2. Be mindful of sprinklers.
3. Be mindful of your trade-ins.
4. Be mindful of dings.
5. Again, be mindful of dealer scams.
6. Again, be mindful of your trade-ins.
7. Be mindful of Best Buy car stereos.
8. Be mindful of car loans.
9. Again, and again, be mindful of your trade-ins.
10. Again, be mindful of dings.
11. Again, and again and again, be mindful of your trade-ins.
12. Be mindful of "the Magic System."
13. Be mindful of theft.
14. Get the car from The Wraith.
15. Be mindful of car shortages.

I made this post with love, man, I am no fan or expert in car purchases aside from what I said at the beginning. Good luck, and I hope this ends up your best car purchase yet.
Memory lane. I remember that BS magic system thing I tried to defend
The following users liked this post:
story (07-17-21)
Old 07-16-21, 07:33 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 31,154
Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Re: Yep, Nickdawgy Is Going Car Shopping Again...

I called a dealer today about a Telluride and it showed 45k on their website, he said they were selling for 59k after their markup and dealer installed options. Are you fucking kidding me? He said they have a 12k markup on those.
Old 07-16-21, 10:35 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,686
Received 287 Likes on 223 Posts
Re: Yep, Nickdawgy Is Going Car Shopping Again...

Now is a very, very bad time to buy a car, new or used. Please save your sanity and wait until next year, at the earliest, and even longer if you can. And, tasha, I applaud your actions (always pay cash- you down payment is what you can afford, keep car 'forever', avoid putting yourself into debt over a car payment, paying a high monthly residual "always on" payment forevermore).
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (07-18-21)
Old 07-16-21, 11:07 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 32,288
Received 98 Likes on 85 Posts
Re: Yep, Nickdawgy Is Going Car Shopping Again...

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
Yeah I think we are waiting on the Tesla this time. At least til we need a second car (her work is a mile away). I’m thinking a year at least. But I’ve questioned the need for a big third row car. She’s like what about trips and going to IKEA and big grocery runs. I said how often do we do that though?

Maybe a compact SUV? Or even a roomy sedan. I dunno.
Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Ah, an "IKEA mobile" requirement. Yes, my wife had that as a requirement as well. Unless you're outfitting an entire room each trip to IKEA, a big 3rd row vehicle is unnecessary. My Jeep Patriots served well as the family's IKEA vehicles. They had 53 cubic feet with the rear seats folded down. And that was plenty. My wife's 2020 Kia Soul with the rear seats down, has 62 cubic feet. Both are boxy so very efficient for hauling stuff.

The Seltos also has 62 cubic feet.


Here's the Patriot loaded up from IKEA.
Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
Lol. So you know the struggle.
One of best “inventions” ever is the Home Depot truck and van rental. Very cheap for half day rentals. Something like $40 for 4 hours. IIR

Old 07-16-21, 11:10 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 32,288
Received 98 Likes on 85 Posts
Re: Yep, Nickdawgy Is Going Car Shopping Again...

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
I called a dealer today about a Telluride and it showed 45k on their website, he said they were selling for 59k after their markup and dealer installed options. Are you fucking kidding me? He said they have a 12k markup on those.
Seriously. My dad was looking to by a Telluride. That is exactly what they are doing right now. It’s crazy.
Old 07-17-21, 02:11 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 31,154
Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Re: Yep, Nickdawgy Is Going Car Shopping Again...

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
One of best “inventions” ever is the Home Depot truck and van rental. Very cheap for half day rentals. Something like $40 for 4 hours. IIR
We did that once...rented a Uhaul just for IKEA back in the day. Was like $35.
Old 07-17-21, 02:12 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 31,154
Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Re: Yep, Nickdawgy Is Going Car Shopping Again...

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Seriously. My dad was looking to by a Telluride. That is exactly what they are doing right now. It’s crazy.
I was like okay, maybe a Sorento Hybrid EX and he's like "Oh we are sold out, but the good news is the markup on those is only 7k! Can I reserve one for you?"
Old 07-17-21, 06:32 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
clckworang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The toe nail of Texas
Posts: 8,424
Received 297 Likes on 220 Posts
Re: Yep, Nickdawgy Is Going Car Shopping Again...

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
I was like okay, maybe a Sorento Hybrid EX and he's like "Oh we are sold out, but the good news is the markup on those is only 7k! Can I reserve one for you?"
Wow. Maybe it has a lot to do with the fact we're known as a low-income area, but I wasn't seeing that markup at all when I was looking at dealerships here. They have still been running specials as well, but as I said before, they don't have as much inventory.
Old 07-17-21, 07:56 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 32,288
Received 98 Likes on 85 Posts
Re: Yep, Nickdawgy Is Going Car Shopping Again...

I may be ordering a 2022 vehicle. But given the market, I might sell mine now. I need to have some PDR done fore some cosmetic hail damage on the hood. Then should bring top $

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.