Reload this Page >

The Official Travel Discussion Thread

Other Talk "Otterville"

The Official Travel Discussion Thread

Old 07-22-21, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Re: The Official Travel Discussion Thread

^ I really hope that's the case. I was really looking forward to crossing when I'm in Detroit. Guess I'll find out
Old 07-23-21, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 232 Likes on 127 Posts

My son, 11, and I are going to spend a week with my family in June Lake, California, which is near Mammoth. We're flying into Reno and then driving to the lake. The highway between Reno and June Lake, State Route 395, is closed because of wildfires. Fortunately, there's an alternate route that only adds about 30 minutes to the drive time. When I was originally making travel plans, I hoped to fly into Mammoth and have someone pick us up, but the airlines suspended commercial flights to Mammoth last year and aren't resuming them until this winter for the 21-22 ski season.

I feel like there's a force trying to prevent us from doing this. We were supposed to do this last year, but the day before traveling, we were told he had to quarantine because someone at a little league baseball game he attended tested positive for COVID. This year there's wildfires.

My wife is going to have the house to herself while we're gone. I can't put into words how much I envy her!
Old 07-30-21, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 182 Likes on 156 Posts

I have 12 straight days off coming up in August . Spending three with son in Chicago.

But looks like could be on my own for rest. Debating on road trip to Rocky Mountain National Park and perhaps Aspen/Vail area. Just for the sights.

Ive been to that National Park, but never in my Jeep or on own, or in middle of summer.
Old 07-30-21, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,517 Likes on 991 Posts

^ Just a heads up, RMNP requires reservations or timed permits now.

I live about 45 minutes from RMNP and canít even get in without getting reservations a month in advance.
Old 07-30-21, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
^ Just a heads up, RMNP requires reservations or timed permits now.

I live about 45 minutes from RMNP and canít even get in without getting reservations a month in advance.
Really? Damn. Thank you so much. Thatís just crazy. Iíll do more research.

I wanted to spent a night (or two) in Fort Collins. Do the big Highway drive. Spend some time, maybe a night in Estes Park.

If on own, I need a chill, relaxing, take some pics and have some good beer time.
Old 07-31-21, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 615 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Spend some time, maybe a night in Estes Park.
If you're a Stephen King fan, stay at the Stanley. Or at least take the tour, if it's still going on.
Old 08-01-21, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got back from a week at June Lake, California. My parents and siblings live in SoCal, have camper trailers, and spend a week at June Lake every year. This year we were finally able to join them. It my me and my 11 year old son, while my wife stayed home. The drive from Reno to June Lake was uneventful. We had to detour East a bit because of wildfires. We were going through these small one one-stop towns, and my son said Nevada looked like a "Third-world state."

At June Lake, the trailer park "resort" was a circus (insert shocked face). Everyone that worked at the park looked well over retirement age, and curmudgeonly is about the nicest word I can use to describe them. Trailers were packed in like crazy. Lots of people with dogs, including my parents. Dogs would go crazy every time a person went by walking their dog. Around the edges of the lake and RV park there piles of dog shit left by irresponsible owners. Someone brought a golf cart and their kids were speeding around the RV park in it. There was a jacked up Dodge Ram with tinted windows and giant Trump flags on it, and they had a huge "Trump" banner in front of their trailer. People having loud conversations where every other word was the F-bomb. But people put up with it and stay there because they have water / electricity / waste-water hookups and it is within walking distance of the lake.

Most nights we stayed in my parent's trailer, where I shared an uncomfortable pull out bed with my son. The last few nights, we stayed in a rental trailer that was older than me and looked like it was held together by duct tape and prayer. As far as I could tell, maintenance consisted of replacing broken parts with something that was close to breaking. You could see how many of the fixtures had been moved a few inches because they had been replaced so many times, there was nothing left in their original location to attach to. The trailer had electricity and running water, but no heat. It had a shower that was the shape and size of an airplane lavatory.

Living on the East coast the last 29 years, I forgot how awesome the scenery is in the California mountains. June lake is perfectly located. The lake itself is good for swimming, slow lake boating, paddle-boarding, etc. You can fish, but I heard the fishing there is relatively poor. Just south of June lake is Mammoth, and north of it is Mono Lake. There are also a whole bunch of other small lakes there that you rarely hear about. We went to Mono to see the Tufas. We went hiking at Mammoth, where we saw the San Andreas fault, Inyo Craters, Devil's Pilepost and Rainbow falls. We took the gondola to the top of the Mammoth mountain, but the weather was bad at the top and they wouldn't let us off the gondola and we had to go right back down. That was probably for the best anyway, because I'm an idiot and didn't think the top of the mountain might be a bit cooler and we were only wearing shorts and T-shirts.

Another one of the places I wanted to see that didn't work out was Obsidian Dome. Again, because I'm an idiot. Rather than taking the too-obviously named Obsidian Dome Road, I followed my GPS down Deadman's Creek Road. It was white knuckle driving on a gravel road in a small front-wheel drive car. When the GPS wanted me to go down an unnamed trail, barely wide enough for my small car, I called it quits and literally backed out of there until I could turn around. On the way out, we saw joggers, bikers and people on motor bikes, who I expect were all wondering what kind of moron is driving a car down these trails.

Overall we had a good time. But I was so happy when we got to Reno on Friday, where I stayed in a hotel room with A/C, and I was able to have a long shower in a full-size bathroom, had WiFi, and was able to get some sleep in a comfortable bed.
Old 08-01-21, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
If you're a Stephen King fan, stay at the Stanley. Or at least take the tour, if it's still going on.
YupÖbeen there done that. Iíve stayed in Estes Park a half dozen times. Iíve just never done the trail ridge road in my Jeep or done any off-roading there. Which is what I wanted, but looks like canít make a reservation till end of August.

Now plans totally up in air. Prices to San Francisco a little steep on my own. Will seeÖ.Iím sure Iíll find something
Old 08-03-21, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 256 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips View Post
At June Lake, the trailer park "resort" was a circus (insert shocked face). Everyone that worked at the park looked well over retirement age, and curmudgeonly is about the nicest word I can use to describe them. Trailers were packed in like crazy. Lots of people with dogs, including my parents. Dogs would go crazy every time a person went by walking their dog. Around the edges of the lake and RV park there piles of dog shit left by irresponsible owners. Someone brought a golf cart and their kids were speeding around the RV park in it. There was a jacked up Dodge Ram with tinted windows and giant Trump flags on it, and they had a huge "Trump" banner in front of their trailer. People having loud conversations where every other word was the F-bomb. But people put up with it and stay there because they have water / electricity / waste-water hookups and it is within walking distance of the lake.

Most nights we stayed in my parent's trailer, where I shared an uncomfortable pull out bed with my son. The last few nights, we stayed in a rental trailer that was older than me and looked like it was held together by duct tape and prayer. As far as I could tell, maintenance consisted of replacing broken parts with something that was close to breaking. You could see how many of the fixtures had been moved a few inches because they had been replaced so many times, there was nothing left in their original location to attach to. The trailer had electricity and running water, but no heat. It had a shower that was the shape and size of an airplane lavatory.
Sounds pretty typical of the RV ďResortsĒ. Itís why I always try to stay in a state or national park. Limiting people to two weeks at a time prevents the types of issues you had. Iím actually at a national forest in Mammoth Lakes now and it couldnít be more peaceful.
Old 01-20-22, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A little bit of a rant. I'm researching a spring break vacation to Los Cabos right now and and am getting really annoyed by fake resort websites. Shady online travel agencies are creating websites with URLs and content that look like they're the official website for a resort, but everything actually goes to the travel agency.
Old 01-20-22, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 670 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips View Post
Man, that sounds absolutely horrific, no thanks!
Old 01-20-22, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Gf and I booked a cruise for September. 8 days, from Galveston TX to the Bahamas. It'll be my 2nd cruise, the first one since I was 15 (which was also to the Bahamas)

Normally I'd be planning 2 or 3 extended weekend trips to cities with MLB teams (have a goal to see all 30 stadiums; I'm at 20), but with the lockout between owners and players, that's looking grim...can't believe there's a decent possibility I won't be able to attend any games two out of the last 3 years
Old 01-26-22, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Looking at maybe 3-4 day solo trip to San Francisco or maybe a little north of there. Thoughts?

I haven’t been in probably 15 years. I want to hit a couple breweries I’ve not been to (Anchor Steam and Russian River). Have some good food. Travel on Hwy 1 a bit.

GF wants to go to beach somewhere, so just starting to look at that as well.

Old 01-26-22, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 549 Likes on 341 Posts

Just booked any Alaska cruise for this summer.. We'll see what happens.
Old 01-28-22, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 256 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Normally I'd be planning 2 or 3 extended weekend trips to cities with MLB teams (have a goal to see all 30 stadiums; I'm at 20), but with the lockout between owners and players, that's looking grim...can't believe there's a decent possibility I won't be able to attend any games two out of the last 3 years
I think the odds of the lockout lasting an entire season are very low. At the worst, I think you might lose the first month of the season. They'd redo the schedule at that point, so I wouldn't book a trip in advance, but I hardly see you not being able to catch a game at some point this summer.
The following users liked this post:
Osiris3657 (02-07-22)
Old 01-28-22, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 549 Likes on 341 Posts

Just booked a 25 day cruise which will go through the Amazon. I hope it's just like the Disneyland ride.
Old 01-28-22, 08:17 PM
Premium Member

Received 632 Likes on 482 Posts

Exactly like the ride no doubt.
Old 02-06-22, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Road Trip! Need a bit of help,

My friend is moving from Denver to Portland. She is using a Pod service, but I agreed to help drive her (Subaru) and her cats.

Big question, as we are doing this next week, anyone know of/recommend an app that shows the road conditions? I go to Denver all the time and often go up and ski. So zero worries about I70 thru the Rockies as they take care of that for the resorts.

We are not in a huge hurry as her Pod will take like 10 days o get there so we plan a bit of sight seeing.

Right now planning on stopping 3 times overnight. But that could turn into 4.

I’ve already heard from a few peeps that the drive west out of Boise can get dicey. If was in my Wrangler, I wouldn’t care. But don’t trust the Subaru as much.
Old 02-06-22, 12:16 PM

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

What month/time of year are you doing the drive?

for Oregon use tripcheck.com the drive west of boise can indeed get very dicey, even if you have a Wrangler, the roads aren't maintained in Oregon like they may be in other states, they only recently allowed using salt on the highways.

i'll say this, if there is a huge storm predicted when you're driving through in that part of oregon, expect many accidents and high odds the highway gets shut down, i would not personally drive through that area if they're calling for more than 3", sounds like nothing, but if the roads aren't maintained on a windy hilly road, you will inevitably get some type of accident from a car or trucker.

have enough food/clothing/warmth for everyone in the event you get stuck or stranded.

also, google cabbage hill winter so you get an idea of how bad it can be, there's plenty of youtube videos showing a POV driving that bad boy in winter conditions.
Old 02-06-22, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We are departing Denver on Tuesday. Not in my Wrangler, in her Subaru. And I know my Wrangler is not invincible. But in my Jeep I always have a recovery strap, hiking boots and polls, fold up shovel, blankets and such. She won’t have that.

Right now plan on stops in,

Glenwood Springs Co. (3 hours west of Denver)
Salt Lake City
Boise ID

I’m hearing the worse part is Boise to Portland. But there are 3 highways so if can get a handle on the weather before we leave Boise, should have some options.
Old 02-06-22, 01:02 PM

You got chains? If not, buy them, they are required by law and cops will stop you before ascending some of the parts in Oregon if there is bad weather.

Keep in mind, this is absolutely the worst time of the year to be doing this drive.

The worst part is Boise to Pendleton. Lots of accidents yearly, highway gets shut down every few days in the winter. Reread my other post, lots of wisdom there.

There is only one safe way to travel from Boise to Portland in the winter and that is 84. If you're considering Tollgate or something else, that is a death wish in the winter.

1. Have Chains
2. Get practice driving in horrible conditions in the Subaru, both of you should go to a snowy/icy parking lot and test the car and how it handles
3. Have a lot of food, clothing, sleeping bags for everyone in case you get stuck or stranded
4. Be prepared to have to stay in Boise an extra day if the weather is bad, if they're calling for a snow/ice storm, do NOT do it, you are rolling the dice on destroying your car and possible injury.

You've been warned. I hope it's s safe trip.
Old 02-06-22, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 670 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Just booked a 25 day cruise which will go through the Amazon. I hope it's just like the Disneyland ride.
Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Exactly like the ride no doubt.
But with more Zika.
Old 02-06-22, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Lipid View Post
You got chains? If not, buy them, they are required by law and cops will stop you before ascending some of the parts in Oregon if there is bad weather.

Keep in mind, this is absolutely the worst time of the year to be doing this drive.

The worst part is Boise to Pendleton. Lots of accidents yearly, highway gets shut down every few days in the winter. Reread my other post, lots of wisdom there.

There is only one safe way to travel from Boise to Portland in the winter and that is 84. If you're considering Tollgate or something else, that is a death wish in the winter.

1. Have Chains
2. Get practice driving in horrible conditions in the Subaru, both of you should go to a snowy/icy parking lot and test the car and how it handles
3. Have a lot of food, clothing, sleeping bags for everyone in case you get stuck or stranded
4. Be prepared to have to stay in Boise an extra day if the weather is bad, if they're calling for a snow/ice storm, do NOT do it, you are rolling the dice on destroying your car and possible injury.

You've been warned. I hope it's s safe trip.
So even with what your saying, 84 will be better than going down to 20 and coming up from the south? That’s only 2 more hours, and after 17-18 hours won’t really make a difference. Assuming ur saying that as 84 is a major highway truckers use and in theory should be cleaned more often.

Timing can’t be helped. It is what it is. She is moving.

I’ll see if I can get her to get chains. So, on most of Colorado they require chains or 4wheel drive. Are you saying OR requires chains regardless?

Ok, looks like chains might be required on commercial vehicles. Not seeing anything on requirement for passenger vehicles. I still might see if I can get her a set. I just know she would never use them and not sure I can find a set that would fit her baby tires and also ones on my Jeep (I wouldn’t mind having).

edit, ok…rereading it it says chains or traction (winter) tires under 10,000 tones IN SOME CASES.. I’m sure she is not on winter tires. I’ll look. And see what can come up with. We won’t be towing. And she has more than one drive axle (all Subarus are AWD). So looks like only the most extreme would require. Still. I might see if have time to find a low profile set.

https://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/Chain-Law

Last edited by Sdallnct; 02-06-22 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-06-22, 03:23 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 740 Likes on 528 Posts

So... Wife's been bugging me for years to do a trip to Hawaii. I'd prefer Japan, but I think Hawaii is more reasonable given we're still in the US. So... When's a good time to go to Maui? Resort or AirBNB? A van down by the beach? Any good travel vloggers to watch for Maui-centric stuff?
No, I don't know why Maui over Honolulu.

We're thinking within the next 6 to 12 months, so no rush, but we want to plan ahead.
Old 02-06-22, 03:39 PM

I speak from experience in this area and know the eastern part of Oregon pretty well. The eastern side of the state gets very neglected by funds and just overall road care. I am talking only major highways get treated. You go down some back road by chance by accident you're playing with fire.

Put it this way, interstate 84 is an interstate and gets the best care and priority yet it still gets shut down multiple times a week due to bad weather and accidents. If that's the best maintained road going through (which it is), it's not wise to take another route. The route you're proposing is in areas where the population is in the lows thousands. It's not a major highway by any means plus if you are in need of an emergency or get stuck, you are out there. You may get stuck and be 30 miles from any town at all and without cell service. 84 west of boise has minimal cell service the way it is, but at least it's an interstate so you won't be stranded by yourself.

Route 20 is a bunch of nothing until you drive the 7 hours from Boise to Bend. I would NOT want to be on that road in the winter if there are bad conditions.

Buy chains from walmart and if you don't end up using them, return them in Portland. Better to have and not need than need and not have.

I will reiterate to reread my previous posts and watch a youtube video of cabbage hill in the winter. :

1. Have Chains
5. Stick to interstates

Ignoring these 5 steps is foolish and very likely will lead to a bad outcome. If it was snowing in Boise and the forecast called for a major or even half major snow storm. I would NEVER attempt it regardless if I had AWD, 4WD, a Jeep, etc. I would almost guarantee you will either get stuck or get in an accident. You also need to be VERY careful going down cabbage in the snow/bad conditions. It's one of the most dangerous highways in the country in bad weather. Shit, even in good weather there's accidents. Again, this comes with a lot of experience in the area. Heed the warniing. Safe travels my friend.

Last edited by Lipid; 02-06-22 at 03:46 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.