Reload this Page >

Tenants want to install a RO system...

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 07-07-21, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 360 Likes on 233 Posts

Our tenants want to install a RO system in our Condo at their expense. Any reason anyone can think of why we should say no?

I've no experience with those things at all.

Thanks
Old 07-07-21, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 287 Likes on 223 Posts
Re: Tenants want to install a RO system...

What, pray tell, is an "RO system"?
Old 07-07-21, 07:19 PM
Premium Member

Received 414 Likes on 326 Posts

RO? Royal Orgy?
Old 07-07-21, 07:24 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

rectal orgasm? i say go for it
Old 07-07-21, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 804 Likes on 590 Posts

Reverse osmosis?
Old 07-07-21, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Maybe say yes with the stipulation that they remove it when they leave so you don’t get stuck with more work maintaining it?
Old 07-07-21, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 264 Likes on 198 Posts

We've had an RO system installed in both our old house and our current house and they're great. No maintenance other than changing the filter once a year.
Old 07-07-21, 07:46 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 528 Likes on 378 Posts

Allowing the tenants to improve the quality of their lives somewhat? Hell no!
The following users liked this post:
Kurt D (07-08-21)
Old 07-07-21, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 880 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
RO? Royal Orgy?
Well arenít we fancy. Around here RO stands for Regular Orgy.
Old 07-07-21, 07:56 PM
Premium Member

Received 414 Likes on 326 Posts

I’ll DM some contacts. Once you go royal…
Old 07-07-21, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Reverse osmosis?
I had no idea what an RO system but a quick google search says this is right
Old 07-07-21, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 522 Likes on 399 Posts

My wife used to work for a company that made them and she says the only issue would be if they tore it when leaving and didnít seal up the holes. But otherwise itís an improvement to the unit.
Old 07-07-21, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 446 Likes on 320 Posts

Just an under the kitchen sink RO system? I had one for years and just removed it back in the Fall. It's really not all that intrusive. Just adds a small faucet hole to the sink which is easily covered/repurposed when removed.

I see no reason to deny them better drinking water.
Old 07-07-21, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 287 Likes on 223 Posts

Why would you have any problem with it? I think they'll need to put a small hole into your sink and put a faucet there. That's the only "damage". But of course that's irreversible, so you should ask them about that, possibly covering it by buying you a new sink, if you want, when they leave.
Old 07-08-21, 12:06 AM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Make sure that they get one that has been around a while and will have replacement filters available in the future. That way you can have them leave it there when they move and you can advertise that the condo has RO.
Old 07-08-21, 05:56 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Used to work for my dad in the water conditioning industry. He swore by reverse osmosis as the most effective method of water purification for the home. I'd say if the tenants want to install RO at their expense, I can't think of any reason not to let them as long as it's installed professionally. If they leave it when they move out, it should increase the property value at least a little, and it could be a selling point in the future. Of course the average person doesn't know shit about reverse osmosis so you'd need to say a little more about it than just This place has RO!
Old 07-08-21, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 360 Likes on 233 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. I don't know all the details of the unit they want to put in but it sounds like it's a good thing - so I'm inclined to approve it after we get a few questions answered. I do hesitate to approve things like this because if they do move and take it with them how do I know they restored everything back the way it was in safe way? The new tenants would need to buy filters and do maintenance (even if once a year) if it is left behind. If they do a crappy job installing it and it leaks in the future and they are gone - that's going to be my issue to fix. So I just need to make sure it's going to be done properly and understand what the plan is if/when they eventually leave.

Fortunately all our tenants in our properties are very happy because we approve the immediate fixing or replacing of things that go wrong right away but this is a new addition so understanding the risks and what to ask if important. I appreciate the feedback provided here.
Old 07-08-21, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 352 Likes on 257 Posts

There was one installed in the house we moved in to. We didn't feel much need for it (the tap water in our area is really good actually) so we removed it, it was easy to do.
Old 07-08-21, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 354 Likes on 279 Posts

(not so) Crazy question, who's paying for it? ETA: Sorry, this was answered in the first post.

I did improvements on my last place (replaced garbage disposal, installed an Elfa closet) and I worked out a deal with the landlord: He paid for half, but all improvements stayed with the apartment. I.E., I couldn't break down that Elfa closet and bring it with me to my next place.

When I showed him the closet organizer I'd built (I did a bang up job, and it was not cheap), he praised my work and said "That's amazing, but it's not what I would have done". Under my breath I said "yeah, you would have cheaped out and just tried to fix the crappy-ass existing organizer", which is why I did it.

Zod, you might want to try a similar tack. Go halfsies on the RO on the condition it stays installed if they ever leave. Cuz if they do it entirely on their own dime count on it getting ripped out when they move.

Last edited by Paff; 07-08-21 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-08-21, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 395 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Reverse osmosis?
Working for an engineering firm, that was my guess too
Old 07-08-21, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 446 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I don't know all the details of the unit they want to put in but it sounds like it's a good thing - so I'm inclined to approve it after we get a few questions answered. I do hesitate to approve things like this because if they do move and take it with them how do I know they restored everything back the way it was in safe way? The new tenants would need to buy filters and do maintenance (even if once a year) if it is left behind. If they do a crappy job installing it and it leaks in the future and they are gone - that's going to be my issue to fix. So I just need to make sure it's going to be done properly and understand what the plan is if/when they eventually leave.

Fortunately all our tenants in our properties are very happy because we approve the immediate fixing or replacing of things that go wrong right away but this is a new addition so understanding the risks and what to ask if important. I appreciate the feedback provided here.
Around here, and every house we've bought, has specific wording that any water system has to be removed when leaving. Of course this is when buying a house, not renting so maybe a little different since you can dictate terms.
Old 07-09-21, 11:05 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Only caveat I see is For every gallon of purified water your reverse osmosis system produces, it will likely have used roughly four gallons. If renters pay water bill then let them go for it. If included in rent then you may see higher water utility bills.
Old 07-09-21, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 461 Likes on 332 Posts

Those things can also leak and destroy cabinets if not properly installed. If approved, I would do so with the stipulation that a licensed plumber has to do the install.
Old 07-09-21, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts

I know a few people on well water and some of them have incredibly robust water treatment plants in their homes. A whole house system with pre-filtration, softening, RO, storage cistern, UV disinfection, remineralization, and pressure pump can run $20K easy and take up half a car's worth of space in your garage or basement but will protect plumbing and boiler and appliances etc from scaling up or rotting out, not just provide safe delicious drinking water. These big RO systems also reduce the flush cycle to about a 1:1 filtered/waste ratio, which is important because these folks mustn't overload their septic systems.

The kind of piddling under-sink RO unit your tenants are probably looking at only feeds one auxiliary low-flow tap on the corner of the sink and is just going to provide water for drinking and cooking. As noted by several otters, have them go through a service to get an appropriate system specced and installed. A DIY unit off Amazon slapped in there by the tenants will just cause headaches.
Old 07-09-21, 12:40 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 192 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Well arenít we fancy. Around here RO stands for Regular Orgy.
Aren't you hifalutin? Around here we have to go to Remedial Orgies.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.