Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Condo collapses in Miami. Over 100 people missing.

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 06-24-21, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

Wonder what could have caused this. Hopefully not an intentional act.

Disturbing video shows moment building collapses in Florida (cnn.com)
Old 06-24-21, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 571 Likes on 376 Posts
Re: Condo collapses in Miami. Over 100 people missing.

Horrific.
Old 06-24-21, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 396 Likes on 290 Posts

I've been following this story, just tragic.
Old 06-24-21, 04:05 PM

Received 323 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
Wonder what could have caused this.
I live in the same area. There's three possible causes that immediately came to mind.

First, construction in South Florida sucks. Every house I've lived in down here has multiple problems. I just had a guy here two days ago to fix another hole in the roof. And my last house had angles that weren't level. Doors were crooked. It was weird.

Second, the ground is a mix of hard rocks, beach sand, and swamp mud. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a sinkhole.

Third, the South Florida weather destroys everything. Blazing sun, constant humidity, violent storms, and flooding. I think that area was flooded for a few days during the last major hurricane about 2 years ago.
Old 06-24-21, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I read somewhere that they recently had a large crane near the building and may have put something on top recently. Not sure how true this is but may be related. Very sad news.
Old 06-24-21, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 259 Likes on 212 Posts

Wow. I had only heard about a partial collapse, this morning, with 1 dead. Seeing the video, it really is horrific.

Looking at Google maps, it looks like another building was recently built, next to the one that collapsed. I wonder if that contributed?

It looked like a beautiful place to live.
Old 06-24-21, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 209 Likes on 139 Posts

Yeah, the initial pictures I saw made it look like a "slice" of the building was taken off of one side.
Seeing the video you can tell around 2/3rds of the whole building collapses.
Old 06-24-21, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 321 Likes on 231 Posts

Holy hell.
Old 06-24-21, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 396 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
I live in the same area. There's three possible causes that immediately came to mind.

First, construction in South Florida sucks. Every house I've lived in down here has multiple problems. I just had a guy here two days ago to fix another hole in the roof. And my last house had angles that weren't level. Doors were crooked. It was weird.

Second, the ground is a mix of hard rocks, beach sand, and swamp mud. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a sinkhole.

Third, the South Florida weather destroys everything. Blazing sun, constant humidity, violent storms, and flooding. I think that area was flooded for a few days during the last major hurricane about 2 years ago.
I didn't know about the first possibility, but I was thinking about the second and third myself. That video is horrifying, those poor people never had a chance.

Old 06-24-21, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
I didn't know about the first possibility, but I was thinking about the second and third myself. That video is horrifying, those poor people never had a chance.
I think that construction standards for buildings this size should and probably do have specific building standards for the areas in which they are built. If they weren't built to those standards, then it really defaults to the first possibility.
Old 06-24-21, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 386 Likes on 247 Posts

I think that construction standards for buildings this size should and probably do have specific building standards for the areas in which they are built. If they weren't built to those standards, then it really defaults to the first possibility.
Well it was built 40 years ago on reclaimed wetlands. I'm sure standards have been changed since then but that area is going to have sliding. Fortunately, since this seems to be a pretty damn rare event there, it would seem that slipping often probably doesn't do much more than create some cracks and slight leaning. But perhaps they'll learn something from this and figure out some way of determining how precarious a building as by using ground penetrating radar or something. Assuming that's what caused it and not like a diesel truck ramming into it or something.
Old 06-24-21, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 440 Likes on 349 Posts

Yeah that's absolutely horrifying. It was about to undergo its 40 year inspection/recertification apparently. They also found the building/ground around it to be sinking every year. If they link it back to that, the folks in that building in San Fran should take note.

I remember watching Seconds From Disaster a while back about the Sampoong Department Store collapse in S. Korea and that was the first thing that came to mind. In that case it was them moving cooling towers on the roof that caused stress fractures on support pillars mixed with some poor engineering/shortcuts taken.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-24-21 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-24-21, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder what happens to those that owned apartments in this building (those that lived or their heirs) now that it is destroyed. Do they get fully reimbursed through insurance for the full value of what they owned, or do they still own the "airspace that their apartment occupied? It would take years for them to rebuild. I doubt insurance would cover alternate living expenses for the length of time it would take to rebuild.

Last edited by movieguru; 06-24-21 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-24-21, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

I wonder what happens to those that owned apartments in this building (those that lived or their heirs) now that it is destroyed. Do they get fully reimbursed through insurance for the full value of what they owned, or do they still own the "airspace that their apartment occupied? It would take years for them to rebuild. I doubt insurance would coving alternate living expenses for the length of time it would take to rebuild.
Well I don't know if its the same there as here but this would be what rental insurance is for. It should cover to replace their belongings. The condo itself should have insurance also that would cover tenants hotel expenses while they are looking for another place to move to. Of course both would need to sign off that the current place is "uninhabitable" and I think it not being there anymore would qualify.
Old 06-24-21, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Well I don't know if its the same there as here but this would be what rental insurance is for. It should cover to replace their belongings. The condo itself should have insurance also that would cover tenants hotel expenses while they are looking for another place to move to. Of course both would need to sign off that the current place is "uninhabitable" and I think it not being there anymore would qualify.
I'm thinking more in the line of people owning the individual units rather than renting. If they were rentals, it would probably be a little more straight forward. The renter's insurance replaces your personal belongings. The rental contracts would likely become null and void and people find another place to live. If you owned the units it would be much different. People would most likely have mortgages and the banks would still want the money to be paid even if the apartment no longer exists.
Old 06-24-21, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

I'm thinking more in the line of people owning the individual units rather than renting. If they were rentals, it would probably be a little more straight forward. The renter's insurance replaces your personal belongings. The rental contracts would likely become null and void and people find another place to live. If you owned the units it would be much different. People would most likely have mortgages and the banks would still want the money to be paid even if the apartment no longer exists.
Ah I see what you are saying now. Well in that case I guess each owners Condo Insurance would cover their personal belongings and then the Condo Association's insurance would cover the hotel and stuff while the rebuild is happening. I mean that's the appealing thing about a condo is you own the walls and what's inside them but anything beyond that is responsibility of the condo association.

At least that's my understanding of it. If they decide not to rebuild the unit would their insurance pay off your loan? The entire value of the condo you paid? I would imagine it would. They would then sue whoever is deemed at fault for all of this.

Interesting question though.. I mean how it should play out and how it does play out I'm sure will be different
Old 06-24-21, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 972 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
I remember a few years ago it seemed like there was a rash of sinkholes appearing in Florida (or at least the news made it sound like there was a rash). I remember worrying at the time that sinkholes were going to become more widespread with population/building growth and thinking buildings could start falling down.
Old 06-24-21, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I remember a few years ago it seemed like there was a rash of sinkholes appearing in Florida (or at least the news made it sound like there was a rash). I remember worrying at the time that sinkholes were going to become more widespread with population/building growth and thinking buildings could start falling down.
Yet another reason to avoid Florida.
The following users liked this post:
cultshock (06-25-21)
Old 06-25-21, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Death toll now up to 4. Number of people missing has gone up to 159.

https://apnews.com/

Hopefully a few of those missing are somewhere else but I canít imagine the death toll will end up anywhere but the triple digits.
Old 06-25-21, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Death toll now up to 4. Number of people missing has gone up to 159.

https://apnews.com/

Hopefully a few of those missing are somewhere else but I canít imagine the death toll will end up anywhere but the triple digits.
The collapse happened at the worst possible time of the day. At 2am, most everyone would have been home and likely in bed sleeping. If this happened at 2pm many people would have been at work, school, etc. and the death doll would be significantly less.
Old 06-25-21, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

The collapse happened at the worst possible time of the day. At 2am, most everyone would have been home and likely in bed sleeping. If this happened at 2pm many people would have been at work, school, etc. and the death doll would be significantly less.
That building was filled with elderly people (as is most of S FL), 2am or 2pm, probably wouldn't have mattered all that much.

I'm thinking it's a combination of weather, sinkhole and building standards..
Old 06-25-21, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I had heard it happened very early in the morning. I just hope people were on vacation, working overnight, etc.

Sadly, for anyone with whom that applies have most certainly seen that their own building on the news and have been accounted for. The fact the the number of missing has not gone down in the last day makes me believe the 159 people were in the building.
Old 06-25-21, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

Forgive me if this has been reported already, but have they evacuated the half of the building that DIDN'T collapse? Because there's no way I'd be staying there even if they assured me it was "perfectly safe" on the other side. I'm assuming they have, but I haven't really heard anything (granted, I haven't had the time to follow this story that closely the last 24 hours).
Old 06-25-21, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Forgive me if this has been reported already, but have they evacuated the half of the building that DIDN'T collapse? Because there's no way I'd be staying there even if they assured me it was "perfectly safe" on the other side. I'm assuming they have, but I haven't really heard anything (granted, I haven't had the time to follow this story that closely the last 24 hours).
I haven't heard anyone say specifically that they did, but I'm 101% sure the did anyway. It's dangerous as fuck in that building and there's potential for huge lawsuits if anyone else got hurt/died - on top of the lawsuits that will come from the current casualties/injuries I'm sure.

I tell ya - if I'm an occupant of any of the immediately surrounding condos - I'd get the fuck out of dodge and go to a motel room for a week.
If this was caused by a sink hole, there's no telling how much bigger it can get - or if the current areas around it are already weak.
Old 06-25-21, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They have evacuated the other half of the building. I also heard they evacuated a small motel next to the condos, just in case the rest of the building goes down.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.