Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Ever been hired then gotten a better deal right after?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 05-28-21, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

I know some people are quick to leave a job for any reason, but I just feel bad doing that most of the time. Here's why I bring this up:

I had two interviews this week. One was for a long-term position and I think the interview went pretty well. I liked it enough that I was going to just hold off on further job applications until I heard back- but I was told that might be in 2 weeks and then there might be a second round of interviews after which I might or might not get hired.

The other interview was for a 3-month position but it seems like it'd be good experience and could still lead to something permanent. Surprisingly I was offered the job the same day, and not having anything else lined up I took it. I will probably start next week. I'm wondering what to do now though if I get called back about the first job. True that I should probably just take that being it's permanent, but I'd still feel bad for leaving the other job so soon and making them find someone else to replace me- they likely wouldn't want me to work for them in the future either.

This is probably no big deal to most people, I'm guessing most will tell me to just take the permanent job if it gets offered but just felt like throwing it out there. It's been hard for me to find work in the field I want because I have relatively little experience, I've already had a few other interviews and wasn't hired so instinct told me to just take the first one I was offered even with this other one up in the air.

The first guy who interviewed me actually seemed cool enough that I might just tell him the truth- I could say I just got a 3-month position and would feel bad about leaving it, and possibly he would wait for that to finish or tell me not to worry about it and jump ship anyways. I would not want to give him the impression that I would leave his job quickly either.
Old 05-29-21, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 207 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: Ever been hired then gotten a better deal right after?

In answer to the question in the thread title; no.
Old 05-29-21, 12:35 AM

I'll just add that the one time I did do this, for a job not nearly as significant, it was rather painful yet sort of funny in retrospect- before I had decided to go back to school I had one temp data entry job lined up but the catch was it started at about 6 AM, and was a bit of a drive on top of that. Not being a morning person, I was not looking forward to it but had little other choice. I was all lined up to start it in a few days, having done all the stuff at the employment agency including a drug test. Before this job started though I got an offer for another employment agency's job which was at NIGHT- I could not believe my good luck. I called the other agency apologetically but the woman went nuts and was practically crying, saying "But you said you were going to take it, and we had to pay for your drug test!" and then hung up before I could get in my last "sorry." I wouldn't want to piss off a GOOD employer that badly. (The night job sadly ended shortly anyways leaving me unemployed yet again.)
Old 05-29-21, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Take the permanent job if it gets offered.
The following 6 users liked this post by William Fuld:
Alan Smithee (05-29-21), Deftones (06-01-21), emanon (05-29-21), Ginwen (05-29-21), story (05-29-21), VinVega (05-31-21) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-29-21, 05:11 AM

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts

Is the temp job in the field you want to be in?

If thatís the case, if you think thereís a good
possibility that it could lead to permanent employment or develop skills to find another permanent job, I would definitely consider it.

The permanent job is definitely the smart move though. And donít think twice about quitting for a better role. They wouldnít think twice about letting you go if business wasnít good. A good company/manager will understand that and not hold it against you. If they donít understand that, you donít need to be working for them anyway.

Also, donít stop applying just because you had one good interview. Now is the time to get your foot in the door before everyone else comes off unemployment in 3 months.
Old 05-29-21, 10:29 AM

Both jobs are in my field. Consensus seems to be to take the permanent job if I get it. Already thinking about how to break the news if that happens.
Old 05-29-21, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 714 Likes on 495 Posts

If offered, take the permanent position.

A temp. job wonít give a damn if you accept and then decline. Theyíre a temp. job.

Iíll also throw out some other advise. I understand that temp. jobs can sometimes lead to a full-time position but reading your threads over the years that doesnít seem to be the case for you. If I were you, I wouldnít even bother applying for temp. jobs anymore.

I had been looking for a new job over the last several months and if a position was advertised as temporary, Iíd pass it by. Itís not worth the effort.
The following 2 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
story (05-31-21), VinVega (05-31-21)
Old 05-29-21, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
I know some people are quick to leave a job for any reason, but I just feel bad doing that most of the time. Here's why I bring this up:

I had two interviews this week. One was for a long-term position and I think the interview went pretty well. I liked it enough that I was going to just hold off on further job applications until I heard back- but I was told that might be in 2 weeks and then there might be a second round of interviews after which I might or might not get hired.

The other interview was for a 3-month position but it seems like it'd be good experience and could still lead to something permanent. Surprisingly I was offered the job the same day, and not having anything else lined up I took it. I will probably start next week. I'm wondering what to do now though if I get called back about the first job. True that I should probably just take that being it's permanent, but I'd still feel bad for leaving the other job so soon and making them find someone else to replace me- they likely wouldn't want me to work for them in the future either.

This is probably no big deal to most people, I'm guessing most will tell me to just take the permanent job if it gets offered but just felt like throwing it out there. It's been hard for me to find work in the field I want because I have relatively little experience, I've already had a few other interviews and wasn't hired so instinct told me to just take the first one I was offered even with this other one up in the air.

The first guy who interviewed me actually seemed cool enough that I might just tell him the truth- I could say I just got a 3-month position and would feel bad about leaving it, and possibly he would wait for that to finish or tell me not to worry about it and jump ship anyways. I would not want to give him the impression that I would leave his job quickly either.
This all sounds reasonable. I don't think that either option is clearly better than the other. But the path taken with each will certainly look different.

How permanent is this permanent job? What are the salaries and benefits of each? Since you mentioned that you don't have a lot of experience in the field, which will put you in a better position in the field for the future? Will having a successful and productive 3 month stint help set you up better for the next job you apply for?
Would the permanent job be for the long term (barring any unforeseen issues) or would you be looking to move on from that after a year or so?
Old 05-29-21, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
This all sounds reasonable. I don't think that either option is clearly better than the other. But the path taken with each will certainly look different.

How permanent is this permanent job? What are the salaries and benefits of each? Since you mentioned that you don't have a lot of experience in the field, which will put you in a better position in the field for the future? Will having a successful and productive 3 month stint help set you up better for the next job you apply for?
Would the permanent job be for the long term (barring any unforeseen issues) or would you be looking to move on from that after a year or so?
I like the way sracer puts this. The important thing here is your future. Companies no longer even pretend to have any loyalty to their employees. I would look out for number one.
The following users liked this post:
VinVega (05-31-21)
Old 05-29-21, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 239 Likes on 182 Posts

Look out for yourself first. Take the permanent job, as it will have so much more job security than any temp job ever offers, even one which might segway into a more permanent position later. Permanent means *non*-temporary; look out for *your* best interests, not what you think a company's best interests are. They're not your friends.
The following 3 users liked this post by zyzzle:
Alan Smithee (05-29-21), story (05-31-21), VinVega (05-31-21)
Old 05-29-21, 03:38 PM

You talked me into it- although this temp job is for a city service and not just some faceless corporation. Thereís still no guarantee Iíll get the other job but Iíll go with that if I do get it. Otherwise the temp job will be good experience on my resume if nothing else- and itís close enough to home that Iíll be able to bike or walk there. If I have to leave it early Iíll be really apologetic. (The temp jobs Iíve had in the past were mostly crap, but this is directly in my field of what I want to do long term. Itís been hard to get jobs in it because most places want experience, so this will give me some of that.)
Old 05-29-21, 07:23 PM

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts

Stay away from temp jobs at government agencies. Itís close to impossible for them to fire other employees even when theyíre dead weight, so youíre either always the one on the chopping block or youíre unable to ever advance due to the people ahead of you that never leave.
story (05-31-21)
Old 05-29-21, 09:56 PM

This will be for the local transit service. I asked about advancement and such after the temporary job ended, they said I would have to apply for any future positions like normal. I was told the temp job could also be extended possibly. Seems a better idea to take the other job if it gets offered, but since my experience is limited I'll stick with this til it ends otherwise and hopefully do a good job. I guess I can disclose now that early last year I got fired from the property management company I was working at because I couldn't learn how to do everything. While I blame part of that on poor training (which I never made an issue of, long story), they might have also expected me to have more experience than I did.
Old 05-30-21, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 168 Posts

I've been responsible for doing the hiring at pretty much every job I've ever had and believe me just be honest with them. I've had people accept a position and then tell me shortly after that they got offered another job they wanted more and I wished them the best. I'd much rather have that then the people who accept a position and then don't show up for training or their first day.
The following 2 users liked this post by The Questyen:
Deftones (06-01-21), story (05-31-21)
Old 05-30-21, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 279 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
In answer to the question in the thread title; no.
Old 05-31-21, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 285 Likes on 227 Posts

Just wanna throw in a word about "temp" jobs.

For those who are recommending against taking a temp position, how long have you been at your current job? Reason I ask is that from 2008-2014 I had my "dream job", so much so that for the first time in my life I wasn't checking job sites on a daily basis looking to upgrade. When I got laid off in 2014 (an even larger corporation bought us, then immediately cancelled our office) I did my first job searching in 6 years and it was a totally different world. EVERYTHING was "temp-to-hire" or "contract". I soon realized that what's going on is that companies are downsizing their HR departments, and now let external companies (temp agencies) do the hiring. It also saves them from having to provide benefits until the person is hired on permanently.

I've held 6 jobs in the 7 years since getting laid off, and 5 of the 6 were either temp or external agencies. Only one of them let me go, and the one that wasn't a temp job also canned me. So temp jobs are really just the equivalent of what a lot of companies used to call a "probationary period" where they didn't pay you benefits for the first 90 days or so.
Vibiana (05-31-21)
Old 05-31-21, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 154 Posts

I've been in administrative positions my entire career (35 plus years). I have taken a lot of temp jobs. Some of them were temp-to-perm, others were specifically intended to be temporary, like relieving someone who was on maternity leave or short-term disability and intended to return. Those intentional temp gigs helped me out in my twenties when I wanted the flexibility and variety and was healthy enough to go without insurance.

I've been with my current employer for fourteen years. I started with them through an agency and it was a contingent arrangement for 90 days. Paff is right that this is the new normal. In the early days of my career I preferred going with agencies rather than working for companies that hired directly because if a company was willing and able to pay an agency to place a new employee, they generally were offering better money anyway. It's pretty much the way things work all around now.
Old 05-31-21, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 714 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Just wanna throw in a word about "temp" jobs.

For those who are recommending against taking a temp position, how long have you been at your current job? Reason I ask is that from 2008-2014 I had my "dream job", so much so that for the first time in my life I wasn't checking job sites on a daily basis looking to upgrade. When I got laid off in 2014 (an even larger corporation bought us, then immediately cancelled our office) I did my first job searching in 6 years and it was a totally different world. EVERYTHING was "temp-to-hire" or "contract". I soon realized that what's going on is that companies are downsizing their HR departments, and now let external companies (temp agencies) do the hiring. It also saves them from having to provide benefits until the person is hired on permanently.

I've held 6 jobs in the 7 years since getting laid off, and 5 of the 6 were either temp or external agencies. Only one of them let me go, and the one that wasn't a temp job also canned me. So temp jobs are really just the equivalent of what a lot of companies used to call a "probationary period" where they didn't pay you benefits for the first 90 days or so.
I wonder how dependent this is on oneís career field. Iíve applied for a number of jobs over the last few months. Iíd guess about 70 -75% of which were listed as permanent/full time. There were still a handful of temp. positions listed but I tend to skip over those.

To me, applying, being offered, and learning a new job is stressful enough, I canít imagine living in a perpetual state of starting a new job.
Old 06-01-21, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I wonder how dependent this is on oneís career field. Iíve applied for a number of jobs over the last few months. Iíd guess about 70 -75% of which were listed as permanent/full time. There were still a handful of temp. positions listed but I tend to skip over those.

To me, applying, being offered, and learning a new job is stressful enough, I canít imagine living in a perpetual state of starting a new job.
I'm in tech. And even the ones that looked like direct hires, when I went on the interview they said for the first 90 days I'd be getting my paycheck from a temp agency. That's why I say "temp" is not something to skip over like it used to be. Temp is just the new "90 day probationary period", if you remember those.

And yeah, I've been starting a lot of new jobs the last few years; I've held more jobs the last 6 years than I did the first 25 post college. It's a combination of wrong fits and not being in a position of strength to refuse a job offer even if I knew going in it wasn't ideal for me. Also, the 6 years of having a "dream job" kinda spoiled me. If I start a new position and it doesn't wow me then my eye starts wandering, because I know there's better things out there. The Paff of 20 years who would have sucked it up and just kept going into work miserable, day after day. F that. Too old to put up with patronizing supervisors or poorly run companies. Usually both at the same time.
GoldenJCJ (06-01-21)
Old 06-01-21, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 85 Posts

I took a permanent low-level job, and 3 weeks later was offered an interview for a much better permanent job. I interviewed and got the job, didn't hesitate to take it.

Anyone would understand that you took a permanent job over a temporary one.
Alan Smithee (06-01-21)
Old 06-01-21, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

In response to the actual title question, I'd say sort of. I was burnt out on my current career path of communications, a lot of it being lack of opportunity where I lived, so I decided go into teaching. I did all my testing, observation hours, all that was left was for me to find a job. I got a couple of interviews in teaching and a couple more in communications. I got offered one of the communications jobs. I took it, and for months afterward, I kept getting calls for teaching interviews. Where were they when I was looking? Anyway, I turned them down since I found a good job and one that offered me more starting money than teaching could. I've been at that job for more than 8 years now and have been promoted twice, now working as a manager.

As for your issue, take the temp job now. Get some money. Get some experience. But be ready to accept if you get offered something permanent. Trust me that you're temp employer will understand, and if you're really valued by them and they're able, maybe they'll make a counter to try to get you to stay. You need the stability of a full-time, permanent job.

Also, until you do receive a permanent job offer, do not quit looking for employment. I don't care how nice they were in your interview. Guess what. They were probably nice to everyone! I know because I've been one of those interviewers. Also, remember that they are not on your timetable. You want the job now. While they might want someone in that job now, they have day-to-day worries to deal with and things like this can get pushed aside. They said 2 weeks? Don't be surprised if it's more. Under my former manager, I was a part of an interview committee, and that manager didn't send an offer of employment until about 2 months after the interviews! I doubt yours will be that long of a wait, but in the meantime, other jobs are posting and closing - maybe better jobs. Keep looking because the job isn't yours until you have an offer.

Also, as an aside, my current position isn't strictly city government but is very similar. Here are some of my observations on temps in that situation. Staffing tends to happen at the beginning of the budget year. That doesn't mean it's written in stone, but it does mean more red tape to have to get through for a department to granted another full-time position. A temp is easier to justify because it doesn't require as much investment. In all likelihood, there's a specific amount of money already allocated for this position or temps in general. If there is more funds available and/or your manager likes you, your supervisor could fight to extend the temporary position for a longer period, but that doesn't necessarily lead to full-time employment. I've seen one temp here for about 2 years! Then they can put in for it when the budget is due, but it can be very difficult for a department to be given an extra position. Simply put, I'd like your chances of your temp job becoming permanent a lot more if it were a private company rather than with the city. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I'd go into it assuming you won't have a job after the temp period ends.
Vibiana (06-01-21)
Old 06-01-21, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 435 Likes on 287 Posts

It's called MARRIAGE...

Old 06-01-21, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

Sounds to me like a lot of chickens are being counted here before they've had a chance to hatch. The temp job is a chicken that's already hatched. That's the only one you can count.
Old 06-01-21, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
Sounds to me like a lot of chickens are being counted here before they've had a chance to hatch. The temp job is a chicken that's already hatched. That's the only one you can count.
That's the other reason I've bounced around a lot the last few years; I might still have interviews lined up, but one company is giving me a start date, I'm probably saying yes even if it's not a perfect fit. To use another avian adage, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
Alan Smithee (06-01-21)
Old 06-01-21, 11:48 PM

That's why I had to say yes to this one when it was offered- been unemployed since November, was getting unemployment but that just ended, still have a decent amount saved up but gotta get back to work ASAP. Start tomorrow morning so we'll see how it goes!
Ash Ketchum (06-02-21)