Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm going to Disneyworld! What the hell should I do there?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 05-27-21, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 463 Likes on 297 Posts

I haven't been to Disneyworld in over 30 years (I was like 12 or so). My wife and I were supposed to go on a cruise last year that got postponed, then postponed again, and then rescheduled to a time when we can't go. So we got a refund, and then promptly called up our Disney-trip-booking friend to go there instead and take our kids too. It's our last "real" summer before gearing up to send our oldest to college. We're booked for the end of July with four days at the parks.

It has been so long since I've been there and so much of the information is geared toward little kids that I'm just trying to get a feel for what we can do. So I'm looking for advice from people who have been more recently than me!

Some additional details:
  • Our kids are 15 and 17 - pretty fun and up for anything but teens nonetheless
  • I am not concerned about the heat - we do fine in it
  • We are not "Disney" people - I enjoy Disney movies and other Disney-owned properties but I'm not going for the character interaction
  • We currently have the Magic Kingdom booked for one day, Animal Kingdom booked for one day and Hollywood Studios for two days. We could change one of the Hollywood Studios days for another Magic Kingdom day. I wasn't super excited about Epcot and our friend says there is a lot of renovation happening there anyway
  • Galaxy's Edge is my number-one priority - we're building lightsabers, we're building droids, we're going to do our damndest to get on Rise of the Resistance
  • I also know the Avatar ride is supposed to be great (though I think the movie is bad ) so that's on the list.
  • My kids and wife aren't big ride people like I am but my kids also haven't tried rides for a LONG time, so they are willing to try again for me. Space Mountain is a must, just because I loved that ride as a kid
...that's a lot of detail. I'm honestly excited just to travel somewhere and walk around, so I'm not too worried about having to schedule too much stuff, but I want to hit as many highlights as I can. We're also staying at the Coronado, simply because we are going to spend as much time as possible at the parks and I don't really care about the rooms.

I'll take any and all advice that I can get!
The following users liked this post:
Chrisedge (05-27-21)
Old 05-27-21, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 260 Likes on 183 Posts
Re: I'm going to Disneyworld! What the hell should I do there?

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I haven't been to Disneyworld in over 30 years (I was like 12 or so). My wife and I were supposed to go on a cruise last year that got postponed, then postponed again, and then rescheduled to a time when we can't go. So we got a refund, and then promptly called up our Disney-trip-booking friend to go there instead and take our kids too. It's our last "real" summer before gearing up to send our oldest to college. We're booked for the end of July with four days at the parks.

It has been so long since I've been there and so much of the information is geared toward little kids that I'm just trying to get a feel for what we can do. So I'm looking for advice from people who have been more recently than me!

Some additional details:
  • We are not "Disney" people - I enjoy Disney movies and other Disney-owned properties but I'm not going for the character interaction
  • We currently have the Magic Kingdom booked for one day, Animal Kingdom booked for one day and Hollywood Studios for two days. We could change one of the Hollywood Studios days for another Magic Kingdom day. I wasn't super excited about Epcot and our friend says there is a lot of renovation happening there anyway
  • Galaxy's Edge is my number-one priority - we're building lightsabers, we're building droids, we're going to do our damndest to get on Rise of the Resistance
  • I also know the Avatar ride is supposed to be great (though I think the movie is bad ) so that's on the list.
  • My kids and wife aren't big ride people like I am but my kids also haven't tried rides for a LONG time, so they are willing to try again for me. Space Mountain is a must, just because I loved that ride as a kid
...that's a lot of detail. I'm honestly excited just to travel somewhere and walk around, so I'm not too worried about having to schedule too much stuff, but I want to hit as many highlights as I can. We're also staying at the Coronado, simply because we are going to spend as much time as possible at the parks and I don't really care about the rooms.

You need to win a Super Bowl or something first
Old 05-27-21, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

This should probably go in the Dland/World thread, but I was an 11 year Annual Passport holder, in the early days (late 80s-mid 00's) and haven't been in over 15 years, and just booked a day in So Cal. We are doing both parks and main priority is RotR and the new Marvel area.

Should be fun!
Old 05-27-21, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 397 Likes on 314 Posts

Drink around the world at EPCOT, the kids will understand. But yeah lots of renos happening there last February, not sure if that's still the way it is.

I don't really know, but if you hear about Victoria & Albert's re-opening scoop up a reso asap.
The following 2 users liked this post by RichC2:
Draven (05-27-21), Pointyskull (06-01-21)
Old 05-27-21, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,113 Likes on 831 Posts

I suggest going to YouTube and watching videos from PC Dev

https://youtube.com/c/PCDev

He’s an Orlando Disney Vlogger and does a lot of really good videos on WDW and things to do in that area. I really enjoy his channel.
Draven (05-27-21)
Old 05-27-21, 03:47 PM

Received 514 Likes on 310 Posts

Space Mountain!
Spoiler:
No idea, haven't been since I was 8 years old. Have fun!

Old 05-27-21, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
This should probably go in the Dland/World thread, but I was an 11 year Annual Passport holder, in the early days (late 80s-mid 00's) and haven't been in over 15 years, and just booked a day in So Cal. We are doing both parks and main priority is RotR and the new Marvel area.

Should be fun!
Sorry, I searched "Disneyworld" in titles and only found old stuff. Apologies if this needs to move!
Old 05-27-21, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

It's been five years since we went, but my favorite of the parks was EPCOT, primarily due to the scenery, food and drinks. If we were to go back, that's really the only park I would care to go back to, with AK second. Actually, my favorite thing we did the whole trip was the Luau dinner at the Polynesian Resort.
Draven (05-27-21)
Old 05-27-21, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The best place to go is Disboards - they have tons of information

I am a Universal Annual Pass holder - but I know enough about Disney to be dangerous-
  • a lot depends if you are staying on property / what hotel,
  • travel distance from your hotel to the parks (as a kid things seemed a lot faster - but as an adult you quickly realize that it could take you almost an hour to use the Disney transportation to get from your hotel into the parks,
  • do you have dining reservations (those are a must have before you go)
  • use the wrist bands to sign up for your fast passes before you go to the parks (depending on the level of hotel you are staying at you might get the perk of additional reservations)
  • Epcot is really fun - you CANT drink in the Magic Kingdom - but you can grab beer, mixed drinks etc from all the countries and walk around Epcot (they have bars and drink stands around the walking path)... so remember that
Draven (05-27-21)
Old 05-27-21, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

I thought I read where fast passes weren't a thing now because of Covid.

My big piece of advice which has always been true for our family (we last went around 5 years ago); it's worth the effort to get up early and be there when a park opens. The ability to do one or two of the most popular attractions before things start to get crowded is huge.
Draven (05-27-21)
Old 05-27-21, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Sorry, I searched "Disneyworld" in titles and only found old stuff. Apologies if this needs to move!
(I just checked, it's a DLAND/California Adventure Thread)
Draven (05-27-21)
Old 05-27-21, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 333 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
My big piece of advice which has always been true for our family (we last went around 5 years ago); it's worth the effort to get up early and be there when a park opens. The ability to do one or two of the most popular attractions before things start to get crowded is huge.
I haven't been in many years bu this would be my advice.

Last few times I went, it was a solo trip and I got through all the major planned rides by noon. Advantage of not having another person to drag, or get dragged, around.
Draven (05-27-21)
Old 05-27-21, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Trader Sams Tiki Bar is a must (if open).
The following 2 users liked this post by Sdallnct:
Draven (05-27-21), tanman (05-28-21)
Old 05-28-21, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 305 Likes on 221 Posts

Some additional details:

How many days are you going to be in the area? What do you guys like to do? What are your priorities? Rides rides rides? Food? Taking it easy a bit?

Hollywood Studios
  • Obviously Rise is the biggun. It can be extremely difficult to get reservations at 0700 especially since they opened it up to let those not in the gates try for a reservation. Search for the latest YouTube video on the latest up to date way to get reservations. Basically have your entire party ready and associated with your my disney app. Generally turn off the wifi and use your cellular network but basically whichever is faster for you (If you're on property Disney wifi is pretty slow). Use a separate phone/watch that's accurate to the second and one or two seconds before refresh and hit the button to make a reservation. There's a good chance you won't get one, but don't fret there's another chance at 1pm and that is easier to get because you have to be in the parks to try for it. Screen shot your reservation and text it to your family just in case something happens so a Cast Member can look it up. Enjoy! It's the most incredible theme park experience ever built. Don't forget about the millenium falcon ride. Come up with a game plan on who want's what position and how best to execute that position and look up info on how to unlock a secret Chewie mode. Try to ride it a couple times if you can so you can switch positions.
  • Don't forget about Toy Story. Slinkydog and Midway Mania are both lots of fun.
  • Mickey's Runaway Railway gives Rise a run for it's money. Seriously it's really an awesome ride that's unfortunately overshadowed a lot by Rise.
  • Tower of Terror is not to be missed and has historically been rated one of the top attractions in the world let alone at Disney.
  • I love Rockin Roller Coaster as well but it's definitely been knocked down a few rungs by some of the other attractions on the list.
  • If Fantasmic is open then make sure to watch it (I don't think it will be by then but maybe)
  • Both Toy Story Land and Galaxy's Edge are amazing at night. They take on a new life in the different lighting. Try to be there when the sun is setting for some nice pictures.
  • Don't forget about Star Tours, the line won't be as long as the other Star Wars attractions and it's a different ride with different destinations and characters every time you ride it.
  • Don't forget about Muppet Vision 3D! Jim Henson's last project and is still hilarious and entertaining today. Also a nice break from the heat with little to no wait time.
  • Eat at: Ronto's Roasters, 50's Prime Time Cafe, Brown Derby
  • Rope drop: ToT, Mickey's Runaway Railway, Toy Story Midway Mania, or Slinkydog
Magic Kingdom
  • The Adventureland attraction queues get significantly shorter at night, mainly Jungle Cruise and Pirates. But of course Jungle Cruise will be a bit more difficult to see at night.
  • Splash Mountain will be changing themes soon so catch it while it's still Splash Mountain.
  • The People Mover is a favorite among WDW fans. Don't miss it.
  • Optional hidden gems: The Enchanted Tiki Room, The Carousel of Progress, The Country Bear Jamboree
  • The older I get the rougher and more difficult it gets to sit down and get up from the cars in Space Mountain but still a must do.
  • If you need a break from the crowds and the heat the 2nd floor of the Columbia Harbor House is a great place to go. Food there is great too.
  • You can get a haircut at the barber shop on main street. Definitely something you'll remember.
  • Don't miss Belle's enchanted whatever it's called. Yeah it's mainly for kids and it's not a ride but it's absolutely dripping with charm and has some of the most convincing animatronics on property. Also don't miss the special effect in Belle's dad's workshop at the beginning.
  • Eat At: Columbia Harbor House, Pecos Bill Cafe, Be Our Guest
  • Rope drop: 7 dwarves mine train
Animal Kingdom
  • By FAR the hottest park.
  • Festival of the Lion King is back! Don't miss it.
  • Don't miss Kilimanjaro Safari. Either go early in the morning or dusk when the animals are more active and the lines are shorter
  • Don't forget about the animal trails. Maharaja Jungle Trek and the Pangani Forrest Trail are great animal exhibits.
  • Skip Rafiki's planet watch. Its more geared for little kids and takes a big chunk of the day to get there. They do have some behind the scenes there though and I've seen them operating on a lion there before.
  • Skip the raft ride. One of WDW's worst. Nothing wrong with it it's just not special at all. The theming is terrible and it's just a generic raft ride you can find at any theme park. Still fun in terms of the ride and getting wet though if you really want to.
  • Don't forget about It's Tough to Be a bug. A charming 3D movie that actually predates the movie. The queue brings you up and close to the Tree of Life and it also features an impressive animatronic. Nobody in your family has arachnophobia right....?
  • Don't miss Everest, Dinosaur (underrated, one of my favorites) and Pandora.
  • Don't miss Pandora at night. The tree of life at night.
  • Rope Drop: Flight of Passage, Kilimanjaro Safari
Epcot
  • Shoot I can't believe you're missing Epcot.
  • It is heavily under construction now though
  • My favorite park, especially 80's E.P.C.O.T. Center
Disney Springs
  • Don't forget about it! The 5th Disney Park.
  • Lot's of great food
  • Eat at: The Boathouse, Chef Art Smith Homecoming, Paddlefish, Earl of Sandwich, Raglan Road (live music at night), Wine Bar George....so many places...
  • Get a cookie at Gideons
  • Get a chicken sandwich and ask for a donut bun AND an ube donut at Everglazed
  • Shop at the largest Disney store
  • The Lego store!
  • Shop! Many stores have exclusive Disney Merch; Uniqlo, Coach, Vera Bradley

General tips
  • Get there early! Rope drop means getting there about 30-60 mins before opening. A lot of times they let people in way earlier then the posted opening time.
  • The lines close at closing time. So if you really want to maximize your time you can get in line for an attraction that traditionally has a long wait time and as long as you're in line you ride.
  • Gift shops generally close an hour after the park does so you can leave your shopping towards the end of the day. But if there's something you see you really want chances are that is probably the only store that carries it.
  • Don't buy bottled water, any restaurant with an ice machine will give you free cups of water
  • sunscreen
  • battery pack
  • You can get your gift store purchases sent directly to your room.
  • Disney transportation takes forever. Uber and Lyft are options
  • Make reservations now. For every meal. You can always change it later. Cancel it 24 hours ahead if you're not going to use it otherwise they may charge you.
  • Mobile Order! So much better then waiting in line.
  • If you want to do the pin trading thing buy disney pins in bulk on eBay to trade before going.
  • Other things to do besides the 4 main parks: Ride the skyway! Explore the resorts, especially the Wilderness Lodge, Polynesian, Grand Floridian, Contemporary, and Animal Kingdom lodge. Don't forget about the 2 water parks. There's golf; mini, regular, and foot.
  • You say you aren't Disney people? Time to become Disney people! Get Disney+ and have a bunch of movie nights in between now and your trip. Get caught up on the classics; Snow White, Dumbo, Peter Pan, the Lion King, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, The Muppet Movie. Make sure to watch Avatar and the Disney Star Wars movies. Rise takes place in between The Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker.

Last edited by tanman; 05-29-21 at 01:17 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by tanman:
clckworang (05-28-21), DJariya (05-28-21), Draven (05-28-21), lwhy? (06-09-21), Sdallnct (06-09-21)
Old 05-28-21, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

^ tanman, that is incredible. Thank you so much - I am literally going to print this out and take it with me in addition to all the pre-trip stuff you mentioned. I really, really appreciate it!!
Old 05-28-21, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 268 Likes on 206 Posts

I went about 3 years ago, but I was there for a work conference so was very limited on time. It happened that my visit corresponded with the annual beer, wine and food festival at Epcot. Needless to say, I spent nearly all of my time there and ate almost all my meals there. Scattered throughout the park were stands, each one a country or theme, with three of four food options, a couple of beers, and a couple of wines or other alcoholic drinks. Each dish is meant to be just a sample size, but it didn't take long to fill me up! I stuffed myself silly. It's also nice if you're not as into the rides because Epcot has so many things to just look around at. If you do go, though, I'd highly recommend doing the Soarin' ride. I thought that it was pretty incredible.

Otherwise, I only went to Magic Kingdom. It was the one I was least interested in but the only time I went with my coworkers. I got into the spirit and had a lot of fun but wish we had gone to one of the other areas. Space Mountain was, of course, a highlight as was Splash Mountain, though you had to marvel at designing a ride over Song of the South. I'm surprised it has gone unchanged for so long.

I'd love to go back one year with some friends. That's something I never thought I'd say when I arrived there, but it was a lot of fun. It took me a day or two before I got the hang of things, though. I'm sure I'd be able to do a lot more if I returned, not to mention not having to attend a work conference.
Draven (05-28-21)
Old 05-28-21, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I would be hard pressed to say anything better than tanman posted.

Couple things to add though. if they are doing parades (not sure because of COVID), that is generally a good time to go on attractions if you are not interested in the parades. Same with fireworks (again if they are doing them)

There is a series on Disney plus called The Imagineering Story, which was really well done and I think gives a greater appreciation of the parks. Also Magic of Disneys Animal Kingdom, which is pretty much a zoo show, but also interesting in how they work with the animals there

I would add the Tiki Room to a try to see in Magic Kingdom, it is a cool show (at least for me, though maybe mostly nostalgic), rarely has a line and is good to sit in the AC for a bit.

I would really emphasize reservations if you want sit down dining. Don't just look in the parks, but the hotels as well. Look at where you can get via the Monorail from Magic Kingdom (I like the site down in the Polynesian Resort, there are good places in Boardwalk which you can get to via a boat from Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom Lodge and the timeshare nearby has some good places to eat. I was never overly impressed with the Animal Kingdom park food options myself. If you go to any of the hotels, at least look through the lobbies, they are quite nice.

Draven (05-28-21)
Old 05-29-21, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 305 Likes on 221 Posts

^ tanman, that is incredible. Thank you so much - I am literally going to print this out and take it with me in addition to all the pre-trip stuff you mentioned. I really, really appreciate it!!
Disney's my jam. I have almost 40 years of experience going there Glad I could help. I'll update it if I think of anything else. LMK if you have any questions or want to know anything else about something specific.

Originally Posted by BearFan View Post
I would be hard pressed to say anything better than tanman posted.

Couple things to add though. if they are doing parades (not sure because of COVID), that is generally a good time to go on attractions if you are not interested in the parades. Same with fireworks (again if they are doing them)

There is a series on Disney plus called The Imagineering Story, which was really well done and I think gives a greater appreciation of the parks. Also Magic of Disneys Animal Kingdom, which is pretty much a zoo show, but also interesting in how they work with the animals there

I would add the Tiki Room to a try to see in Magic Kingdom, it is a cool show (at least for me, though maybe mostly nostalgic), rarely has a line and is good to sit in the AC for a bit.

I would really emphasize reservations if you want sit down dining. Don't just look in the parks, but the hotels as well. Look at where you can get via the Monorail from Magic Kingdom (I like the site down in the Polynesian Resort, there are good places in Boardwalk which you can get to via a boat from Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom Lodge and the timeshare nearby has some good places to eat. I was never overly impressed with the Animal Kingdom park food options myself. If you go to any of the hotels, at least look through the lobbies, they are quite nice.
Yes! Definitely watch the Imagineering Story. It will make you appreciate the trip more. Great advice on the other things as well. I would say the Tiki Room and the Carousel of Progress are also can't miss attractions but mainly for Disney geeks. They have the most history relating to the company and Disney himself. But with teenagers they are a bit on the dull side and since it seems Draven has limited time it's probably okay to skip it. Even the Country Bear Jamboree is great and nostalgic and still holds up well but teenagers would find it cheesy.

There are so many more things to do at WDW. I could go in even more depth but don't want to take away too much from the main focus of the parks since it's essentially the first time visit.

Last edited by tanman; 05-29-21 at 01:18 AM.
Draven (05-29-21)
Old 05-31-21, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

It's "Disney World" not "Disneyworld" (2 words, not one word, like "Disneyland" which is a bit inconsistent). The full name is "Walt Disney World" to honor Walt Disney because it was built right after his death but everyone usually just calls it "Disney World" for short. (I wonder if it would've more consistently been named "Disneyworld" if Walt didn't die. Maybe?)

I live very close and have been to Disney theme parks about a dozen times in 2021 already, so I will try to come up with some recommendations, but that's a bit tough to do right now because Disney is in the process of dismantling all the Covid restrictions so I don't know if advice I give now would be any good by the time you go. However one important bit of advice is if anyone in your family has some sort of disability, definitely get a disability pass for that person. Just one person having that will help your whole group get on rides quicker.
Old 05-31-21, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also I recommend putting the "My Disney Experience" app (it's on both iOS and Android) on everyone's phone before the trip. And even better would to put it on your phone now and start to learn how to use the app. It's very useful in the parks and can even tell you the current wait time for every ride in every park.

It also is used for remote ordering food from park restaurants and currently (due to Covid) is the only way to order food from most places in the park (all the cash registers are currently shutdown in the restaurants but that may change soon as Covid restrictions are lifted).

Also the theme parks REQUIRE reservations to get in before you're even there. And when those reservations are gone, the park is considered "Full" and they won't let anyone else in. This reservation system came with Covid but Disney has already announced that it's staying so it will definitely be in effect when you visit. And the My Disney Experience app is how you can make these theme park reservations along with the website, so that's another reason to start using the app ASAP.

Last edited by dhmac; 05-31-21 at 05:42 PM.
Draven (05-31-21)
Old 06-01-21, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Interesting rumors about park operations with paid skip-the-line passes and virtual queues for all rides.

Old 06-09-21, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The FastPass+ express line system that was in place pre-Covid was great because, if you knew how to use it, you could avoid waiting in long lines on most rides. So it will suck if the free FastPass+ system doesn't return and is replaced with a paid express line system. But that is how Universal Studios does it so Disney switching to a paid model isn't a surprise.
Old 06-09-21, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac View Post
The FastPass+ express line system that was in place pre-Covid was great because, if you knew how to use it, you could avoid waiting in long lines on most rides. So it will suck if the free FastPass+ system doesn't return and is replaced with a paid express line system. But that is how Universal Studios does it so Disney switching to a paid model isn't a surprise.
Yea, if I remember, the US was in the ticket price. Not per ride. Or Maybe, we stayed at the premium US hotel and it was included. I think that was it.
Old 06-12-21, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think Disney World increased the theme park reservation pass limit for the parks recently. It was at 35% capacity but now I think it is higher, maybe 50% to 60% and may go back to 100% before the end of summer. If this link works, it shows the theme park reservation pass availability at each of the parks, which tend to run out the soonest at Hollywood Studios and the Magic Kingdom, but last a bit longer for Animal Kingdom and especially Epcot.
Old 06-12-21, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 76 Posts

Skipping Epcot would be a mistake.
tommyp007 (06-15-21)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.