Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Quit my job, but they want me back. Thoughts/advice?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 05-24-21, 08:39 PM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a good career/degree etc. I started a new job during covid which was very similar to my last. This is all in healthcare. I'm not a doctor, but still equally as in demand in a high need/low provider type situation.

Without getting into tons of detail, just got fed up with how inciomptent the place was compared to the previous, how much they micro managed, and how little effort they put (in examples include: wifi didn't work, didn't have a phone to call or take messages from, didn't have a key to the office, etc). So all of last week, I just didn't show up and didn't notify anyone. Was 100% done with the company. The job itself isn't bad, but there's very serious management/common sense issues. They only called a couple times and that was it. Today I get a message from them and they want to set up a meeting to see how they could help me etc etc.

Question for you guys is how much leverage or pull you think I have? I'm not super shocked they're not letting me walk due to the high need/low provider and I have 10+ years experience, and I'm damn good at my job. I don't really want to work there anymore, but if they're willing to make changes, I could. So how far you all think I should go? Anyone ever been in a similar situation? Stil crazy that I just didn't show up for work for a week and didn't telll anyone or even talk to anyone last week about it, and they're still trying to kiss my ass.
Old 05-24-21, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
Re: Quit my job, but they want me back. Thoughts/advice?

Why would you think you have any leverage? I don't think your going to end up in an Office Space scenario, lol. I doubt any changes are going to be made, at least long term, to accommodate someone who walked out on the job (which also puts a target on your back from here on out). Sounds like a dysfunctional place, as most places would say sayonara for walking out not welcome you back and bend over backwards to make you happy.

Why wouldn't you just start fresh somewhere else?
The following users liked this post:
sracer (05-27-21)
Old 05-24-21, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 395 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
Why would you think you have any leverage? I don't think your going to end up in an Office Space scenario, lol. I doubt any changes are going to be made, at least long term, to accommodate someone who walked out on the job (which also puts a target on your back from here on out). Sounds like a dysfunctional place, as most places would say sayonara for walking out not welcome you back and bend over backwards to make you happy.

Why wouldn't you just start fresh somewhere else?
I second this.
Old 05-24-21, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 238 Likes on 197 Posts

Old 05-24-21, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

I have a different viewpoint:

They are waiting for you to formally say you quit (written notice/email, voice mail, text, etc). If you quit, the company isn’t on the hook for the eventual unemployment claim and possible increased rates in the future.

If they fire you, then they are less likely to be successful at contesting the unemployment claim.

The following 3 users liked this post by MLBFan24:
Giantrobo (05-25-21), nando820 (06-09-21), Why So Blu? (05-24-21)
Old 05-24-21, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 426 Likes on 338 Posts

Yeah that's where i'm confused, did you formally quit or did you just stop showing up?

If anything you should give the formal 2 weeks notice and move on to a new position elsewhere. You may be fed up, but it's best to burn as few bridges as possible.
The following 2 users liked this post by RichC2:
nando820 (06-09-21), story (05-25-21)
Old 05-24-21, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 133 Likes on 109 Posts

So this is a George Costanza opposite situation.

Quits but just shows up for work anyway as if nothing happened.
Kurt D (05-25-21)
Old 05-24-21, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 886 Likes on 615 Posts

I feel like the OP is either not providing all the information or is misinterpreting the situation. I fail to see how just not showing up for work for an entire week and then getting called in for a meeting with the bosses is somehow indicative of having some sort of upper hand. I don’t know if they’re “kissing your ass” so much as just trying to figure out what the heck is going on.

I think MLBFan24 is on the right track in that they’re just trying to figure out if you are quitting or they need to fire you.

If you are correct in your assumptions, what makes you think an incompetently run office is somehow going to change everything about how they conduct business just to accommodate you?
The following 2 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
nando820 (06-09-21), story (05-25-21)
Old 05-24-21, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

In every Company Handbook I have written, I always have language that says if you fail to show up for 3 days with no notification, it is considered job abandonment and a resignation. This company may have a similar policy. There might also be some state laws that address this.

As far as leverage, that is not likely except in the short term. Your not showing up was very unprofessional and will PERMANENTLY be held against you should you return. you can count on that. They may be in a bind right now and say the necessary things to get you back, but they will be looking for your replacement and get rid of you as soon as it makes sense for them.

Best to move on and hopefully the next time you decide to leave a company, you do it the right way. That stuff can follow you around and you never know who knows who.

Also, if there is a lot of demand for your skills, why would you even consider working for a shitty company? Go find one that is run well and has competent leaders and managers.

Last edited by cdollaz; 05-24-21 at 11:17 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by cdollaz:
nando820 (06-09-21), story (05-25-21), Why So Blu? (05-24-21)
Old 05-25-21, 08:03 AM

I never formally said I quit.

I took the job because it was during covid and I was relocating and out of work for awhile, beggars can't be choosers even during a pandemic, but now things have changed. I didn't know it was a shitty company until I got hired.

The company. is having turnover issues. Another guy put in a notice to quit and I was also told another employee said they would quit in 2 weeks if things didn't change for the better.

I have no pity or empathy for a giant corporation. I'd rather have my mental health than continue to deal with the non-sense I did there, normal circumstances I'd put in a notice, but I can get employment just about anywhere so it was worth it to me.

I view it as leverage because all of my actions clearly show I quit (in my mind), so the fact they're still wanting to talk to me, makes me think given the culture, maybe they are trying to fix things. I don't really want to work for them, but I have no problem entertaining this in case they would make some type of agreement. They themselves admitted to me that they did a piss poor job with trainings and help when they hired me.

I
GoldenJCJ (05-25-21)
Old 05-25-21, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Yeah that's where i'm confused, did you formally quit or did you just stop showing up?

If anything you should give the formal 2 weeks notice and move on to a new position elsewhere. You may be fed up, but it's best to burn as few bridges as possible.
To make it very clear. I didn't show up all of last week and not this week. I didn't return any phone calls etc all of last week. I only responded back to this person yesterday. I didn't outright say I quit, but like another poster said, most handbooks state if you no show X amount of days they treat it as a resignation, so that's my assumption that they would get the picture.
Old 05-25-21, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 503 Likes on 334 Posts

The meeting they want to have with you might be the exit interview. I don't see what leverage you have.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nick Danger:
nando820 (06-09-21), sracer (05-27-21)
Old 05-25-21, 08:10 AM

During the conversation via text, it's clear it's not an exit interview. The meeting is about what they can do to help me meet whatever goal they have or how they can best support me.

At one point, I outright asked if this was a real meeting or just a meeting to get me in there to return everything (i.e. fire me) and they said it was a real meeting.

In my thought process, if I had no leverage, they wouldn't be doing any of this. They would have fired me and notified me that I need to return any office supplies by a certain date.

Regardless, I don't really want this job back, which is why I did what I did.
Old 05-25-21, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 146 Posts

Shitty companies usually stay shitty. If the management is the same, why would the culture change?
Old 05-25-21, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 227 Posts

If you don't want to work there, I don't see why you would take the meeting. Just formally resign the right way and move on.

Or if there's a part of you that might actually want to stay, then demand whatever you want. Best case scenario would be they say yes, and worst case is you're out of job you don't want. But even if they say yes, as others have indicated, I wouldn't exactly plan on retiring from there.

Since unemployment was brought up, if you are fired for abandoning your job, couldn't the employer reject the unemployment claim for cause?
story (05-25-21)
Old 05-25-21, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 227 Posts

I would just add that any leverage you have is fleeting at best. I'd maybe try to get a good reference letter out of them before leaving.
Old 05-25-21, 08:51 AM

Yeh that is what I'm doing, attending the meeting to make a lot of demands and see how/what amount they are going to accommodate.

I have enough references from highly respected people so I'm not even trying to recover from this turd of a company to try use them as a reference.
Old 05-25-21, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 835 Likes on 660 Posts

Crappy company or not, I don't see why you just ghosted them like that. I realize the two week notice thing doesn't go both ways and I know some people don't really feel they should honor it, but man as the company unless you are like the Michael Jordan of that place I don't see why they'd jump through hoops to accommodate you. There's the fact that you can bolt at any time, plus it sets a terrible precedent negotiating with other employees.

Again, I'm not saying they're not crappy or anything and I wish you luck, keep us updated!
Old 05-25-21, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 395 Likes on 191 Posts

You say it's a shitty company and you hate the place. It's not going to change. They're trying to cover their ass by getting you to come back while they find somebody else to fill your position, at which point you'll be fired because you obviously have no sense of loyalty to them or you wouldn't have done what you did. And I'm not preaching at you, hell, I've quit on the spot myself, although I've never just not showed up with no explanation.

It sounds to me like you should cut your losses. Apologize to them for leaving them in the lurch (suck it up and do it, they're more likely to give you a decent reference that way). Find something else. And move on.
sracer (05-27-21)
Old 05-25-21, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,329 Posts

Speaking as an employer in healthcare, I don't think I would ever give a good recommendation to an employee who stopped coming into work without notification. People have a million reasons to leave a job and I always understand and (usually) respect that decision. But there's such a thing as common courtesy and if any employee of mine did that, just stopped showing up or answering texts and leaves me in the lurch, I would take that personally and couldn't, in good conscience, recommend that person to another employer.
Don't mean to call you out specifically Lipid, just that is where I would be coming from. I might try to work things out if the position is really difficult to replace, but I would probably still be pretty upset.
Good luck to you. You don't need to work anywhere you feel disrespected and unappreciated. When you go to your meeting, be sure to bring any keys, passes and keycards you might have from work. You don't want them hassling you about returning them later.
The following 4 users liked this post by Decker:
nando820 (06-09-21), sracer (05-27-21), The Questyen (05-28-21), TomOpus (05-26-21)
Old 05-25-21, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 104 Likes on 69 Posts

I understand how they could want to keep you temporarily. I work in a healthcare field that's hard to staff (PT, OT, SLP jobs are always available, and I've usually been hired within 24 hours of the interview--and usually interviewed as soon as they got my application.) It's not true for every allied health job--good buildings in good locations can be competitive--but it's certainly true for the dregs and facilities that constantly rely on travellers. But . . . you would have a target on your back. I'd assume they'll let you go as soon as they can. Honestly, working in a shit facility isn't worth the wear and tear on your soul. I think you've got some pull, but not for permanance. Unless you're very rural . . . then you've got some as long as you stay quite a bit cheaper than a traveller.

ETA--By pull, I mean for your wages, days off etc. Not likely you can improve the culture or staffing issues.

Last edited by tasha99; 05-25-21 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-25-21, 01:04 PM
Admin

Received 299 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
Shitty companies usually stay shitty. If the management is the same, why would the culture change?
And NOW we can close the thread.
Old 05-25-21, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

Lipid...Just make sure you go in with "Big Dick Energy".
Old 05-25-21, 02:34 PM

I am not worried or concerned about a referral. I was only there less than 8 months, so this will never got on my resume anyway. I'l just pretend like I never worked there. I would never expect to get a good referral after doing what I did, and I was aware of that when I did it.

It is a rural area. The main hub to where I used to work is 50 minutes at least. Plus it's a small dumpier town that no one would live in, so they'd have to find someone who lives in that town (not likely) or find someone who is willing to make the 50 minute commute, which I doubt most people would.

Meeting is tomorrow morning, I confirmed again today that it's not an exist interview. I'll keep everyone updated. My co-worker is putting in his notice to quit today too so that will give me more leverage as well.
Old 05-25-21, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Lipid...Just make sure you go in with "Big Dick Energy".
Bro, you know it.
Giantrobo (05-25-21)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.