Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What do you HATE that everyone else LOVES?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 05-21-21, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 288 Likes on 229 Posts

OK, let's add a third option to the LOVE/HATE topics that have been here the last couple of days. What is something you hate, but everyone else seems to love? I mean, when you mention hating cell phones in public or slow drivers in the left lane, yeah that sucks but everyone else hates them too. Even something like cats, while they're popular, there's still a large segment of the population that doesn't like them.

So take a chance and be bold. List something you hate but is still overwhelmingly popular, and you can't for the life of you see why people like it.

Here's mine: All-you-can-eat-buffets. Even before Covid, and I hope they never come back. I've never understood the love of quantity of food over quality. It started in high school when we'd do senior ditch day breakfast, and we'd all head out to this place with warmed-over trays of scrambled eggs and other breakfast fare for $5. I always pleaded that we go to Denny's for a $1.99 Grand Slam that was brought to your table piping hot, but got shot down because the other place was ALL YOU CAN EAT. That was the only thing that people cared about, that it was all you can eat. So what? It was crappy food!
Old 05-21-21, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: What do you HATE that everyone else LOVES?

Donald Trump
The following 3 users liked this post by movieguru:
OldBoy (05-21-21), tommyp007 (05-21-21), Vibiana (05-24-21)
Old 05-21-21, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

People who can't follow simple instructions

No wait, I think that's universally disliked, never mind.
Old 05-21-21, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 104 Likes on 84 Posts

Sports
Rap “music”
The following 4 users liked this post by Alan Smithee:
BobO'Link (05-21-21), movieguru (05-21-21), Norm de Plume (05-31-21), Vibiana (05-24-21)
Old 05-21-21, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts

Social Media
The following 3 users liked this post by Jaymole:
John Pannozzi (05-25-21), Norm de Plume (05-31-21), OldBoy (05-21-21)
Old 05-21-21, 06:38 PM

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
OK, let's add a third option to the LOVE/HATE topics that have been here the last couple of days. What is something you hate, but everyone else seems to love? I mean, when you mention hating cell phones in public or slow drivers in the left lane, yeah that sucks but everyone else hates them too. Even something like cats, while they're popular, there's still a large segment of the population that doesn't like them.

So take a chance and be bold. List something you hate but is still overwhelmingly popular, and you can't for the life of you see why people like it.

Here's mine: All-you-can-eat-buffets. Even before Covid, and I hope they never come back. I've never understood the love of quantity of food over quality. It started in high school when we'd do senior ditch day breakfast, and we'd all head out to this place with warmed-over trays of scrambled eggs and other breakfast fare for $5. I always pleaded that we go to Denny's for a $1.99 Grand Slam that was brought to your table piping hot, but got shot down because the other place was ALL YOU CAN EAT. That was the only thing that people cared about, that it was all you can eat. So what? It was crappy food!
I like the idea of buffets, in the sense of having lots of variety to choose from, many different dishes and options to try. The actual execution of buffets is, indeed, usually disgusting.

On the other hand, I have been to a few well-presented, upscale buffets where the quality of the food was excellent. These were expensive buffets. A very far distance from "Golden Corral" or "Home Town Buffet".
The following users liked this post:
spainlinx0 (05-23-21)
Old 05-21-21, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Terrestrial radio - I mean, I can't figure this out, why people listen to this in 2021. Besides the awful music selection, the commercials are the most obnoxious things on Earth. Yet, everywhere I got they are playing this when I get my hair cut, when I shop, when I eat out, when I get my car fixed..... I hear people driving around, blaring commercials because they can't be bothered to lower the volume when music isn't playing. I can't figure out why people can't let this go in this day & age. Silence is better, never mind the endless selection of options.

Christmas gifts - at the risk of sounding like a scrooge, man I hate these things. I hate giving them, trying to find something someone wants but not enough that they just, your know, went out & bought it already. I hate getting them, the way everyone wants to see the 'look on your face' when you open the miraculous wonder. I hate guessing how much someone spent & trying to match. Will they feel bad if I spent more? Will it make them feel bad if I spend more? I hate 'The List" Oh look, a shaving set! That will be perfect for Grandma. And we can check it off the list & breathe a sigh of relief. Yet everybody seems to love this torture & no one will stop.

Old 05-21-21, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,002 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff View Post

The Bacchanal Buffet in Las Vegas is amazing. It's super expensive at about $70 per person, but the food is 100% high quality and covers so many different cuisines.

But, I know most here don't have the ability to go to a buffet like that and are either stuck with Golden Coral or shitty Asian food buffets.
Old 05-21-21, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
The Bacchanal Buffet in Las Vegas is amazing. It's super expensive at about $70 per person, but the food is 100% high quality and covers so many different cuisines.

But, I know most here don't have the ability to go to a buffet like that and are either stuck with Golden Coral or shitty Asian food buffets.
That's the one I've been to. At Caesar's Palace in Vegas. Definitely a great experience.
DJariya (05-21-21)
Old 05-21-21, 07:02 PM

Marijuana. Really can't stand the stuff. Just don't get the hype about it.

Also, beer. Doesn't matter the brand, it all tastes like carbonated piss to me (or...what I imagine piss would taste like, since, you know, never tried it). I don't get it---all those beer drinkers in the world, and I cannot for the life of me understand what they're tasting that excites them. The stuff is awful!
The following 4 users liked this post by Movie Watcher:
Alan Smithee (05-21-21), John Pannozzi (05-25-21), movieguru (05-21-21), Vibiana (05-24-21)
Old 05-21-21, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Religions
just about any movies release these days.
Old 05-21-21, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 143 Likes on 108 Posts

Cake
Old 05-21-21, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

Religion
Alcohol
Holidays
Old 05-21-21, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 104 Likes on 84 Posts

Alcohol for me too- I can’t stand it, and so many bad things happen from it. People have always looked at me weird for not drinking and trying to make me do it to be “cool”- meanwhile I love Cherry Coke but couldn’t care less who else drinks it or not.
John Pannozzi (05-25-21)
Old 05-21-21, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Alcohol for me too- I can’t stand it, and so many bad things happen from it. People have always looked at me weird for not drinking and trying to make me do it to be “cool”- meanwhile I love Cherry Coke but couldn’t care less who else drinks it or not.
That “peer pressure” they warned us about in junior high and high school never presented itself to me. I never drank when I was younger and going out in the town with my friends and no one ever said anything to me about it. They’d order alcohol and I’d order a Pepsi or Mountain Dew and no one ever looked at me odd or said anything.

Same with drugs. I’ve never smoked pot and no one has ever tried to pressure me into doing it.
movieguru (05-21-21)
Old 05-21-21, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 113 Likes on 97 Posts

Sports
Beer (I've never understood why anyone likes this stuff - especially with food as it's a good way to ruin a meal)
Whisky
Tequila
Wine (ruined grape juice - like beer, why anyone wants this with a meal boggles my mind)
Cilantro (tastes incredibly bitter and somewhat metallic to me and *everyone* loads up their salsa with the stuff making it unpalatable)
Sour cream
Large family gatherings
Eating out (most restaurants are not very good)
Steak (I've *never* had one I've enjoyed)
Old 05-21-21, 08:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 279 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post
Social Media
like any app, FB, Insta. All bs. I want one on one text on cell phone or call. Communication has been lost since pandemic and I fucking miss it and want it. I haven’t seen my dad in over year I think!
Old 05-21-21, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

I admit I haven't been to any of those, and I'm sure the quality is head and shoulders above the buffets I have been to, but my position still stands. I just don't see the appeal of that much food at once. And as far as the different cuisines, that doesn't appeal to me either; a plate of spaghetti, enchiladas, T-bone steak, kung-pao chicken, and sushi just doesn't work.

When I go for a meal, I'd like ONE plateful of food. Some good main dish, and a couple of appropriate sides. Eating enough for a puma doesn't interest me, nor does 2-3 bites of various cuisines.
Old 05-21-21, 08:49 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 279 Likes on 245 Posts

Coffee
Vibiana (05-24-21)
Old 05-21-21, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 408 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W View Post
Christmas gifts - at the risk of sounding like a scrooge, man I hate these things. I hate giving them, trying to find something someone wants but not enough that they just, your know, went out & bought it already. I hate getting them, the way everyone wants to see the 'look on your face' when you open the miraculous wonder. I hate guessing how much someone spent & trying to match. Will they feel bad if I spent more? Will it make them feel bad if I spend more? I hate 'The List" Oh look, a shaving set! That will be perfect for Grandma. And we can check it off the list & breathe a sigh of relief. Yet everybody seems to love this torture & no one will stop.
A couple of years ago, I told my family that I didn't want to exchange Christmas gifts anymore. I don't know what to get them, they don't know what to get me, we're all in our fifties, and it was time to stop. My Christmas is much happier as a result.
Old 05-21-21, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 502 Posts

I did the Buffett at Caesar’s Palace in Vegas a few years ago. It was pricey but the food was pretty good. I just remember eating a plate filled about 8 inches high with crab legs.

There were other things as well but I zeroed in on the crab legs.
Old 05-21-21, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 408 Likes on 277 Posts

Chandeliers and hanging plants. Hanging signs in stores. If you have to hang something from the ceiling, make sure the lowest part is seven feet high. Just because it's a convenient height for an Oompa-Loompa doesn't make it right.
Old 05-21-21, 09:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sports
Cruises
Old 05-21-21, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 212 Likes on 155 Posts

Based on the above responses: all of you. (I kid, I kid!)
Old 05-21-21, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
Sports
Whisky
Totally agree with these two. Would also add Gin and any Anise flavored liquor (Pernod, Ouzo, etc)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.