Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What do you HATE that everyone else LOVES?

Other Talk "Otterville"

What do you HATE that everyone else LOVES?

Old 05-22-21, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts
Re: What do you HATE that everyone else LOVES?

Green bean casserole
Looks like barf. I defy anyone to distinguish between a plate of uneaten and a plate of barfed up.
The following 3 users liked this post by rw2516:
BobO'Link (05-22-21), milo bloom (05-25-21), Vibiana (05-24-21)
Old 05-22-21, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 663 Likes on 454 Posts

Sports is interesting. I was never athletic but made to play soccer and baseball as a kid. I liked watching basketball until I became a hipster, but then started watching again after I got married. Always hated football, but in my mid-thirties came to understand it. Now I love watching it.

I guess THINGS CAN BE DIFFERENT FOR DIFFERENT PEOPLE.
Old 05-22-21, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 292 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Maybe the reason people drive isn't to look cool.

Modern child seats are the size of a washing machine. There's no way to fit two of them into the back seat of a cool sports car.

It's like the people on the car forums who complain that the Camry has no soul. A car is a hunk of metal and plastic, and none of them have souls. A Camry will get someone from one place to another, without fuss, for many years. I don't drive a Camry but I value that kind of reliability a lot more than fake exhaust noise inside the cabin.

If you have a family or kids maybe it is practical but if you are single or have no kids do you need all that space in the back?
Old 05-22-21, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Bacon
Old 05-22-21, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 256 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Iíll add ďclubbingĒ.

I know most of us here are past our partying days and a lot of us are introverts to begin with so we probably didnít do much clubbing on our younger days but Iíve always hated the entire idea of it. Dressing up, driving to the crowded city, paying for parking, paying a cover charge to get in, paying for overpriced drinks, and sitting and/or dancing in a room so dark and loud you canít even have a conversation with your friends.

Iíll also add, dancing.
I admit Iím a terrible dancer so that probably has a lot to do with it but Iíve always felt completely out of place on a dance floor. Going to a school dance or a party with dancing has always made all of my self-conscious feelings boil to over.
So much this.

I appreciate legitimate dances that have prearranged steps, but have no understanding of people in clubs that are just jumping and moving with no coordination and are usually too drunk to have any self awareness about how ridiculous they look.
Old 05-22-21, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,884 Likes on 1,896 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
SUVs

I don't understand how they are the best selling vehicles and they don't look cool and nobody looks cool driving them.
Pick up trucks, especially Full-sized pick up trucks. Theyíre huge, clunky, gas-guzzling, ugly, and drive like shit. And 90% of people who buy then donít need the hauling capabilities that a truck provides.

You Don't Need A Full-Size Pickup Truck, You Need a Cowboy Costume

The following users liked this post:
Shamus McAnally (06-05-21)
Old 05-22-21, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,663 Likes on 1,220 Posts

I have an SUV. Specifically a Kia Sportage. It’s a very efficient car and has had barely any problems. My last SUV a Kia Sorento never had any issues in the 6 years I had it.
Old 05-23-21, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 473 Likes on 379 Posts

Modern child seats are the size of a washing machine. There's no way to fit two of them into the back seat of a cool sports car.
Why, but WHY do "modern" child seats need to be the size of washing machiness? My guess it's collusion between the companies who manufacture such (very expensive!) seats and automotive manufacturers. The graft and extra profit from making something too big just because they can get away with it is boggling.

Back in the dark and so-called unenlightened days of the '70s and '80s when the world was a more sensible place, I had never heard of, let alone seen any such thing as a "child seat." When I was a child, I rode up front, without even a seat belt. Didn't need any friggin extra seat as large as a washing machine! The obsession has clearly gotten way out of hand. So, I guess that's another thing I "hate" that everyone else loves is large, bulky child seats which probably actually save precious few lives and cost millions of extra dollars each year in wasted energy, bigger cars, and added weight to vehicles...
Old 05-23-21, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 292 Likes on 248 Posts

Maybe people think they look tough or scare people with a big truck which they don't need.

Old 05-23-21, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 791 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Why, but WHY do "modern" child seats need to be the size of washing machiness? My guess it's collusion between the companies who manufacture such (very expensive!) seats and automotive manufacturers. The graft and extra profit from making something too big just because they can get away with it is boggling.

Back in the dark and so-called unenlightened days of the '70s and '80s when the world was a more sensible place, I had never heard of, let alone seen any such thing as a "child seat." When I was a child, I rode up front, without even a seat belt. Didn't need any friggin extra seat as large as a washing machine! The obsession has clearly gotten way out of hand. So, I guess that's another thing I "hate" that everyone else loves is large, bulky child seats which probably actually save precious few lives and cost millions of extra dollars each year in wasted energy, bigger cars, and added weight to vehicles...
In other words, "What's the big concern? When I grew up, I never got into a fatal accident."
The following 2 users liked this post by Nick Danger:
Fist of Doom Jr (05-23-21), tasha99 (05-23-21)
Old 05-23-21, 10:13 AM

You could probably get away with saying, "I hate living in the current era" and save some time.
Old 05-23-21, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

In other words, "What's the big concern? When I grew up, I never got into a fatal accident."
My thoughts exactly. I grew up in a world without car seats, but I'm glad my kids' generation and on are safer in cars. I just wish they were so easy to install that people always did it right. I've read that more than half of car seats are installed incorrectly.
Old 05-23-21, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 312 Posts

Old 05-23-21, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It looks like Zyzzle wins the "What do you HATE that everyone else LOVES?" competition. He's the only person who hates child safety seats.
Kurt D (05-23-21)
Old 05-23-21, 11:12 AM
Admin

Received 345 Likes on 221 Posts

I cannot stand IPA beers. The explosion of hops are disgusting to me. I don't want to drink a flower. I'm more of an ale kind of guy. Everywhere you go it's IPA heaven and its just not my taste.
Old 05-23-21, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I cannot stand IPA beers. The explosion of hops are disgusting to me. I don't want to drink a flower. I'm more of an ale kind of guy. Everywhere you go it's IPA heaven and its just not my taste.
You guys are making me want to start drinking again with all the IPA hate!
Old 05-23-21, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 574 Likes on 446 Posts

I absolutely hated IPA first couple of times I tried it. So I decided it wasn't for me.

Then I went to an anniversary party held by my favorite local microbrewery. They had unlimited samples of all their beers, and a special anniversary IPA that they bragged was their bitterest ever. I didn't want it, hating IPA as much as I did, but it seems like at an event like that you should have at least one glass. Otherwise it's like going to a birthday party and passing on the cake. Anyway, I gritted my teeth and prepared for the worst, and found I didn't hate it anymore. By the end of the taster glass, I was actually wanting more. Ever since then, IPA is my go-to beer.
Old 05-23-21, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 94 Likes on 65 Posts

Christopher Nolan films.
Christopher Nolan fans.
Old 05-23-21, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 198 Posts

I have noticed that more and more breweries are not so heavily IPA focused as previously. The variety of different beers around me is great, and for myself personally, my taste seems to change multiple times a year so I like not being stuck with just one kind of beer to try.
Old 05-23-21, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
Christopher Nolan films.
Christopher Nolan fans.
The fucking Dark Knight Trilogy.
BobO'Link (05-23-21)
Old 05-23-21, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
Absolutely - I'd rather watch either of the Schumacher Batman films than any of the films than that trilogy.
Old 05-23-21, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
I can't say. The Dark Knight was so awful that I never watched the third one.
Old 05-23-21, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 574 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Green bean casserole
Looks like barf. I defy anyone to distinguish between a plate of uneaten and a plate of barfed up.
While I don't disagree one bit, is green bean casserole something that's so wildly popular?
Old 05-23-21, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,884 Likes on 1,896 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
Christopher Nolan films.
Christopher Nolan fans.
*(Drinks)
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
Michael Corvin (05-29-21), tanman (05-25-21)
Old 05-23-21, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 620 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Movie Watcher View Post
Marijuana. Really can't stand the stuff. Just don't get the hype about it.
What is it about it you can't stand and what is this hype you speak of?

Am I gonna hear some Cheech and Chong or The Dude stereotypes about stoners?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.