Medical Facts I Didn't Need to Know

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 05-14-21, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Mammals can breathe through anus in emergencies: study

A team of Japanese scientists has shown it is possible for mammals to absorb oxygen via the anus.

Intrigued by how certain sea creatures breathe through their intestines in emergencies, researchers at Tokyo Medical and Dental University were able to prove the same was true under experimental circumstances for mice, rats and pigs, publishing their findings in the journal Med on Friday.

They say the finding might also apply to humans who are in respiratory distress when ventilators are not available or inadequate.

For higher order animals, respiration involves breathing in oxygen and excreting carbon dioxide using lungs or gills.

Some species however have evolved alternate ventilatory mechanisms. Loaches, catfish, sea cucumbers and orb-weaving spiders can also use their hindgut to oxygenate to survive in emergencies.

This is called enteral ventilation via anus, or EVA.

"The rectum has a mesh of fine blood vessels just beneath the surface of its lining, which means that drugs administered through the anus are readily absorbed into the bloodstream," lead author Ryo Okabe said.

This made the team wonder whether oxygen could be delivered into the bloodstream in the same way.

To answer the question, they decided to carry out experiments on oxygen-deprived mice, pigs and rats using two methods: delivering the oxygen into the rectum in gas form, and infusing an oxygen-rich enema via the same route.

The researchers prepared the lining of the rectum by rubbing it to cause inflammation and increase blood flow, which improved the effectiveness of oxygen delivery.

However, since such a preparation would likely be unacceptable for humans, they also tried using oxygenated perfluorodecalin, a liquid that has already been shown to be safe and is in selective clinical use.

Delivery of oxygen both as gas and in liquid form increased oxygenation, normalized the animals' behavior and prolonged their survival.

The team also confirmed the improvement in oxygenation at the cellular level, by a technique called immunochemical staining.

They added that the small amount of liquid that was absorbed along with the oxygen caused no harm and did not disrupt the gut bacteria, indicating the method was safe.

"Patients in respiratory distress can have their oxygen supply supported by this method to reduce the negative effects of oxygen deprivation while the underlying condition is being treated," added co-author Takanori Takebe.

Eventually the team hopes to establish the technique's effectiveness in humans in a clinical setting.

https://www.rawstory.com/mammals-can...gencies-study/
Any volunteers?
Old 05-14-21, 12:59 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Medical Facts I Didn't Need to Know

It appears those portable oxygen machines won't have to use that unsightly nasal breathing tube any longer.
Old 05-14-21, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,053 Likes on 1,320 Posts

They are talking about "absorbing oxygen" which means it is dissolved into the blood. That's different than breathing it. The delivery of oxygen through osmosis is nowhere near as efficient as dissolving from an alveoli into the capillaries in the lungs. So it would work like a hyperbaric chamber, but far less efficiently. I guess it might prolong brain function for a bit compared to suffocation, but hardly enough to really matter. Maybe it might have some application for a person with a badly burned and massively swollen upper respiratory tract though (but in reality I can't imagine a situation where would be preferable to try over just placing a tracheostomy).
Old 05-14-21, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 188 Posts

So, Oxygen pills are a suppository.
Old 05-14-21, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

CPR training just became a little worrisome.
The following 2 users liked this post by Max Bottomtime:
Kmical (05-15-21), Rocketsfan (05-15-21)
Old 05-15-21, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

Sounds legit - I exhale through mine regularly.
Old 05-15-21, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 880 Likes on 609 Posts

Suddenly Clark Griswold’s rant about whistling zip-a-dee-do-dah from our assholes makes a lot more sense!
The following users liked this post:
Rocketsfan (05-15-21)
Old 05-15-21, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 91 Likes on 66 Posts

A long time ago I worked in a pharmacy near a college campus. There were a lot of students that would come in and ask questions "for their friend" about absorbing coffee and/or alcohol in a similar fashion.
Old 05-15-21, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 188 Posts

The answer is, "You can, but you shouldn't."
Old 05-21-21, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 327 Posts

The remake of The Abyss is going to be pretty boring when they just sit in pink water.
Old 05-21-21, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
The answer is, "You can, but you shouldn't."
Oh come on ... now you are just talking out of your ass!