DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   The COVID Vaccine Side Effects Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/652750-covid-vaccine-side-effects-thread.html)

VinVega 04-06-21 10:15 AM

Re: The COVID Vaccine Side Effects Thread

Originally Posted by Vibiana (Post 13916587)
I got the first Pfizer dose on Friday, March 19 and am set to get the second dose this coming Friday. The only side effect I had with the first jab was that the injection site was tender to the touch. Duh, so don't touch it. :lol:

My friends who've had Moderna seem to have reported worse side effects than Pfizer. I don't know anybody who's had the J&J unless you count Alison Arngrim, the "Little House on the Prairie" actress, who's one of my Facebook friends. :) She hasn't reported any side effects.

You're friends with Nellie Oleson? Say hi to the little folks while you're palling around with the high rollers of Walnut Grove. -rolleyes-

:D

Giantrobo 04-07-21 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13916249)
One of my employees got his shot Saturday. Texted me Sunday morning to call out as he got a 101 fever, headache, and shivers that started early in the morning. He texted to call out again for today due to continued headache and body aches. I guess it's kicking his ass.

He had bad nausea and couldn't eat Monday so called out for Tuesday. He is back today.

E Unit 04-07-21 05:35 PM

That's exactly what I'm coming out of right now. I got my 2nd dose of Moderna on Monday morning. Usual sore arm. By that evening I had a low fever. By Tuesday morning I have a migraine to end all migraines (I get a few every year), fever of 102, massive body aches and retching up twice. Just took some Tylenol and rode through it. By this morning I was almost out of it with a headache, but way less than the day before. Now Wednesday evening and I finally got my appetite back. That was a sick roller coaster ride. Still glad I'm fully vaccinated.

RichC2 04-07-21 06:49 PM

Glad it subsided, that sounds awful. As do migraines in general.

joe_b 04-07-21 07:26 PM

I received the first dose of Moderna at Wal-Mart this afternoon. My parents got the same vaccine through the local health department last month, but they were only administering J&J there by the time I was eligible. I would have preferred Pfizer, but in my area it was only available at Walgreens and they were still prioritizing their supply for frontline workers and high-risk patients.

I experienced a tingling and numb right arm within five minutes of getting the shot. Nothing serious enough to bring to the pharmacist's attention. I got up after fifteen minutes and did a quick walk around the store to pick up a few things (hadn't ventured into a Wal-Mart in six months). I was upset by how many people were proudly walking around without face masks. I've been beyond careful since the pandemic started - but if I was ever going to be exposed to the virus, it would have happened this afternoon thanks to all the careless morons milling about this overcrowded store.

The woman at the door was offering free masks to anyone who entered not wearing one, but I saw at least three people proudly turn her down like it was some political statement. A maskless guy was in front of me and we both tried leaving through the entrance because of this metal barrier the store had set up that made the route to the exit doors harder to get to. An alarm went off and the woman handing out the face masks barked "Y'all need to go out the other door!"The maskless guy turned to me and commented "Like it makes a difference. This country has gone straight to hell." :lol:

After I got home, I started feeling hot all over my face and neck and the glands in my throat were swollen. Pretty intense. The worst of it subsided after about twenty minutes, but it still feels like I'm running a fever. My right arm is extremely sore and it's difficult to lift it higher than my shoulder. Hopefully this will be the worst of it until I receive the second dose early next month. Ironically, I went with the Moderna because my folks had virtually no side effects from it. I thought that was a good indication I might not experience them either. That clearly wasn't the case. My brother (who I pestered into getting an appointment due to his close contact to some of our older relatives) got his shot at the same store an hour after me. He claims he's feeling great and has had zero side effects so far.

GoldenJCJ 04-07-21 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by joe_b (Post 13917408)
I experienced a tingling and numb right arms within five minutes of getting the shot. Nothing serious enough to bring to the pharmacist's attention.

That’s a weird thing about these shots. While I wouldn’t describe it as “pain” I could definitely feel the vaccine coursing through my arm immediately after both shots. I felt it for about 15 seconds and then it went away.

jpcamb 04-08-21 09:44 AM

Happy to say after 24 hrs the only side effect of the second dose of Moderna was a sore arm. Never had a fever or anything else. :)

VinVega 04-08-21 09:54 AM

I know there was some painkiller you were not supposed to take for vaccine side effects. Can you take Tylenol for headache or joint aches? Just getting prepared for shot 2 which a number of people said was worse on the side effects.

RichC2 04-08-21 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by VinVega (Post 13917609)
I know there was some painkiller you were not supposed to take for vaccine side effects. Can you take Tylenol for headache or joint aches? Just getting prepared for shot 2 which a number of people said was worse on the side effects.

It's all of them. NSAIDs could potentially reduce immunological effects of vaccines, though it isn't well studied so it's sort of a "better safe than sorry" approach. But the CDC sort of backed down and said just don't take them before the vaccine - let it work for a while.

Management of post-COVID-19-vaccination symptoms

For all currently authorized COVID-19 vaccines, antipyretic or analgesic medications (e.g., acetaminophen, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) can be taken for the treatment of post-vaccination local or systemic symptoms, if medically appropriate. However, routine prophylactic administration of these medications for the purpose of preventing post-vaccination symptoms is not currently recommended, because information on the impact of such use on COVID-19 vaccine-induced antibody responses is not yet available.
Link: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-1...derations.html
Reasoning: https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucele...h=66e538156842

VinVega 04-08-21 10:49 AM

That sucks.

SmackDaddy 04-08-21 01:57 PM

Got the first Pfizer shot Saturday. Other than some soreness I didn't have any side affects.

Happy I finally got it, a random person on the side of the road holding a covid vaccine sign led to me getting it after being on several wait-lists with no results.

Nick Danger 04-08-21 08:52 PM

Pfizer.
Shot 1: A sore arm for a few days. The injection site still itched three weeks later.
Shot 2: I had mild nausea and was mildly light-headed for a 4-5 hours, then it cleared up. The symptoms were slight enough that, during the worst, I was able to move my workbench and it's contents back into the garage. Today is the evening of next day, and I have a sore arm again. This is easy.

The Cow 04-08-21 09:03 PM

Had headaches (I rarely get them) for a couple days after the 2nd shot, but felt fine otherwise.

So far, I have not been able to leap a tall building in a single bound or anything like that yet, but I may try again this weekend if the weather is nice. :up:

Vibiana 04-09-21 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by The Cow (Post 13917934)
Had headaches (I rarely get them) for a couple days after the 2nd shot, but felt fine otherwise.

So far, I have not been able to leap a tall building in a single bound or anything like that yet, but I may try again this weekend if the weather is nice. :up:

first try jumping over the moon ;)

E Unit 04-09-21 09:06 AM

You can always take advantage of the microchip in the vaccine by tapping your left ear twice to directly call Bill Gates to provide updates.

Mike86 04-09-21 09:46 AM

So far from the first shot (Pfizer) yesterday I don’t seem to have any side effects other than the sore arm. I had a mild headache, but I’m not sure if it was from the shot and it was barely enough to even bother me.

squidget 04-09-21 10:51 AM

I got my J&J shot on Wednesday morning. My arm was sore pretty much instantly, lol. Fatigue and on and off fever the first night and yesterday. This morning I feel pretty good, arm is a bit sore still though.

Max Bottomtime 04-09-21 12:38 PM

I have a friend who actually believes all the conspiracy theory websites. He keeps sending me all kinds of crap about thousands dying from the vaccines. I usually send him the Snopes page concerning each of his delusions, but even Snopes can't keep up with all the nuts out there.

AGuyNamedMike 04-09-21 12:59 PM

Moderna, sore arm and light fatigue for a day or so after each shot.

Vibiana 04-09-21 01:06 PM

Received my second Pfizer jab this morning. I'm having radiating muscle pain across both shoulders and the back of my neck, so I just took a couple of Vanquish (tylenol with caffeine). Working through it. So glad to be fully vaxed now.

Bacon 04-09-21 04:13 PM

Got my second Moderna dose 5 hours ago,so far not even a sore arm.

whotony 04-09-21 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bacon (Post 13918247)
Got my second Moderna dose 5 hours ago,so far not even a sore arm.

tomorrow

Bacon 04-10-21 09:14 AM

22 hours later and still not even a headache

Vibiana 04-10-21 10:01 AM

24 hours out. No symptoms anymore except tiredness. But I didn't sleep well last night because my dad was restless so that's why, I am sure.

clckworang 04-10-21 10:42 AM

I received the Johnson and Johnson shot on Thursday. The shot itself was super easy; I barely even felt it. Fatigue started to set in within an hour or two, but it wasn't like fatigue that makes you want to go to sleep. I described it as fatigue slowly putting more weight on you. Since I was still feeling pretty good, I decided to take the dog to the nature park for a walk like usual. That was a mistake. Granted, it was 90+, but that's not unusual for when we take walks. Nonetheless, I found myself sweating a lot, way more than ever typical for me, and then I could feel it in my legs. I cut our usual walk short because I didn't think I was going to be able to make it any further.

Once home, it was fatigue and just a hint of brain fog until later that night. At one point, I could feel my wrists start to tighten, more on the side injected, but it was fine once stretched. While taking my temperature never revealed a fever, I was getting chills. I'd get in a warm bath to warm my body up and would then be sweating. I just couldn't get comfortable. I was so tired, but I found myself having problems going to sleep until well after 4. Nausea had set in as well.

On Friday, no soreness in my arms, but my legs were really sore. I still felt nausea as well. I mainly slept most of the day. As the day went, it was like I slowly was coming out of a fog, though I still had some chills. Now today, I don't feel much soreness. I still feel some slight brain fog, but I think that likely has more to do with just waking up and sleeping so much.

Needless to say, the vaccine kicked kicked my butt quite a bit. I'm anticipating taking it a bit easy again today. Stretching the arms and doing range of motion exercises with them really helped stave off soreness and tightness. Each time I'd feel more arms getting right, I'd stretch, and it would quickly get relieved.

Now the really big question is: whatever the vaccine we get now, when are we going to have to get another one?